The first Delving

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

Re: The first Delving

#41 Post by HereticalOne »

To John: "We have a deal." Ushnab hands over the Scale-Mail. "We can work on the reading and writing thing later. First we'll get the Yvega's a pair of good daggers. Then we'll get provisions loaded onto the mule. With luck we can get out of town in under an hour."

[OOC: Ushnab let's the Yvega's and John De Vris pick out a dagger apiece.]

To Hrothgar: "I ordered some extra ale. The wine I brought isn't going to last. Right now, I have most things covered. Feel free to load-on some more provisions. The new mule seems pretty sturdy, a bit thin, but it'll manage."

To Wolf: "Do you have enough Holy Water? Not that I know how much would necessarily be 'enough.' "

"Where should we meet-up? I think we're about all set."
I don't have a signature thingy.

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#42 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hrothgar (Dwarf) - the first delving, Zelkor's Ferry
HereticalOne wrote:"Where should we meet-up? I think we're about all set."
"Everyone meet up here at the trading post where the mule is being packed after your town business and we'll be off!" Hrothgar says, addressing all in earshot.
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Blazeguard »

HereticalOne wrote: To Wolf: "Do you have enough Holy Water? Not that I know how much would necessarily be 'enough.' "
"Well, I do have 4 flasks but...you can never have enough Holy Water. That's what Father Tobias used to say anyways. I'll go pick up a few more." He heads off to see if he can find more Holy Water.

(OOC: Wolf will purchase 4 more flasks of Holy Water providing they are available in town.)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by Distorted Humor »

Blazeguard wrote:
HereticalOne wrote: To Wolf: "Do you have enough Holy Water? Not that I know how much would necessarily be 'enough.' "
"Well, I do have 4 flasks but...you can never have enough Holy Water. That's what Father Tobias used to say anyways. I'll go pick up a few more." He heads off to see if he can find more Holy Water.

(OOC: Wolf will purchase 4 more flasks of Holy Water providing they are available in town.)
you can buy 2 of them

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Darkmane »

Well boys, I'll meet you back here in an hour.

Alysuil heads to the stable and saddles her horse. She then heads to purchase 20 gp of trail rations and fills up several wineskins with water. She will tie everything up on her horse and then lead him back. She ties the items so she could quickly cut them free and mount the horse if need arises.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by Distorted Humor »

(OOC: first off, I will assume the party bought the supplies, met out, and headed out. (the "Rangers" had already left) Also its cool to have a well supplied party that is very professional and old-school :) )

The party meets up, and heads out to the mouth of doom. The party travels first west, and then due south.

After a couple hours, you reach a small river at a ford, and its a good spot to stop briefly and water the animals and take stock. There is a hill above you, and across the ford is a rather thick and dark woodland. Paula Yvega shivers a bit and says "ever get that feeling that your being watched"

(This is a "Fork in the road) so I am stopping it here for a second to let the party figure out what it wants to do.)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Distorted Humor »

The woods near the base of the hill you see movement, they do not have surprise due to the alert party, but you see 4 Gnolls charging the party (perhaps thinking you are a soft merchant convoy with all the mules and horses) with another 2-3 in the woods letting arrows fly. The first Volley of arrows fall short, and the charging Gnolls will reach the party in one round, giving the party enough time to get ready.

Since this is a outside encounter, I made a map

The party has one round to take actions. I will need the first person to roll a 1d6 and post it as this round party initiative, then I will ask for your actions. those you have hired need to be commanded to do something. (So for example, if you hired the crossbowman, you need to say "Shoot so and so") otherwise they will just defend themselves.

If you attack please roll your to hit, and then damage (even if you think you missed)

they will be in Melee range in one round, of course, they are already in range for non-melee combat.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Darkmane »

Group initiative [1d6] = 4

Alysuil will fire a magic missile at the archers if they are within range, if she thinks they are too far away she will throw her spear at one of the gnolls who are charging.

Option 1: Magic missile option damage [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Option 2: Spear attack option, thaco 16, [1d20] = 5 damage [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hrothgar (Dwarf) - the first delving, south of Zelkor's Ferry

Hrothgar takes 8 paces toward the oncoming gnolls, roaring in Dwarven "Come taste Hrothgar's axe, you dogs!". He bangs the flat of his axe on his shield several times and then points the axe at the enemy.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#50 Post by HereticalOne »

Ushnab will instruct Paulo to shoot the closest gnoll with the crossbow and tell the other two to guard the animals, and to keep an eye out for more of these gnolls. There might be more out there.

Ushnab will then cast Sleep on the gnoll farthest in back.

Once the spell is cast, he'll draw his scimitar and try to stay out of the way of that battle-axe. :)

First attack (trying out the Macro feature): To Hit with Scimitar: [1d20] = 7, damage: [1d8] = 4
Ouch. Probably a miss...need 18 to hit THACO...
I don't have a signature thingy.

mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#51 Post by mordechiyoel »

Logan grins widely and unsheathes his long sword.
He waits for the nearest one to step in for melee.
He will jab with his sword.

To hit: [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20, damage with long sword: [1d8+4] = 3+4 = 7

Cheers,
Malcolm

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Blazeguard »

Wolf will step to the side out of the way any other missile attacks and let loose with his sling, aiming for the closest one.
To Hit (sling): [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 for Damage (sling): [1d4] = 3

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Dogma »

"Arma magica pentru o anumită viață!" cried Otikas as he twirled his hands in the air. As he says the last word, he points and a bolt of magical energy flies from his finger to unerringly strike the closest gnoll.

He will then do his best to hide move behind the rest of the group.

Magic missile: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by Distorted Humor »

Will update when Theron does his action, or sunday, whichever comes first.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Distorted Humor »

ok...round one.....

The Gnolls win Initiative.
Two archers fire and they miss badly.

the 4 charging Gnolls head towards the dwarf and fighter, and they are not in melee range.

Theron is so shocked he does nothing.

The Crossbow fires, Hitting a Gnoll, for good damage.

The magic missiles from Alysuil and Otikas strike, with Alysuil hitting a archer, and Otikas hitting the already hit Gnoll on the front line. Ushnab Sleep spell takes out both the archers. and then he steps forward. as wolf stone hits another Gnoll in the head.

Round 2

Please roll for initiative, there is 2 unharmed Gnolls, one slightly hurt Gnoll, and one wounded Gnoll who will melee this round. There is a three man front line of the Dwarf, Logan, and Ushnab, the rest of the party behind them, with the MU in the far back.

I will let logan keep that roll if he wants :)

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hrothgar the dwarf

Hrothgar drops down into a fighting crouch, awaiting the gnoll advance, his shield and axe at the ready.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Darkmane »

After her spell hits Alysuil leaps forward positioning herself behind the first line of fighters. She attacks from the second rank using her long spear.

Attack roll: [1d20] = 7 thac0= 16, damage from spear: [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by Dogma »

Otikas takes a stand by the pack animals, quarter staff in hand. He scans the area for any other attacking Gnolls, ready to defend the baggage train from attack if new creatures appear or the other break though the line of defenders.

mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#59 Post by mordechiyoel »

Distorted Humor wrote:ok...round one.....

The Gnolls win Initiative.
Two archers fire and they miss badly.

the 4 charging Gnolls head towards the dwarf and fighter, and they are not in melee range.

Theron is so shocked he does nothing.

The Crossbow fires, Hitting a Gnoll, for good damage.

The magic missiles from Alysuil and Otikas strike, with Alysuil hitting a archer, and Otikas hitting the already hit Gnoll on the front line. Ushnab Sleep spell takes out both the archers. and then he steps forward. as wolf stone hits another Gnoll in the head.

Round 2

Please roll for initiative, there is 2 unharmed Gnolls, one slightly hurt Gnoll, and one wounded Gnoll who will melee this round. There is a three man front line of the Dwarf, Logan, and Ushnab, the rest of the party behind them, with the MU in the far back.

I will let logan keep that roll if he wants :)
OOC: Yes, Logan will keep that role :) Thanks.
Do you play Init as d6 or d10 ?

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Blazeguard »

Wolf will step up and attack the flank of the gnoll who is engaged with the front line on the end.

To Hit (Mace+1): [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6 for Damage (Mace+1): [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3

OOC: I'm guessing that missed but I put damage in there just in case. :?

Return to “Delving into Rappan Athuk”