OOC/Rants and Raves, questions and suggestions too

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC/Rants and Raves, questions and suggestions too

#281 Post by LtTibbles »

Hi everyone I'm rolling up a character for the game and I was wondering if you could give me a little guidance so far this is what I have.

Origin: Changed Human
Primary Traits: 1 20 10 40 20 10 30
Powers: Elasticity (6), Physical Metamorphosis (40), Telepathy (6) or Contaminant Resistance (6), Physical Metamorphosis (40), Trait Increase(6)

Now with the changed human origin I was thinking the old tried and true scientific experiment gone awry leaving with him his powers but also costing him the use of one of his traits but I'm not sure which, and I'm still mulling over which material he'd take form as. This is my first time using the system and playing a supers game for that matter so trying to focus on one idea is tough with so many possibilities.

An idea I had with the first set of powers was after said experiment my character was left physically decrepit (Brawn 1) but gained the ability to transform into a being of pure energy which he stays in exclusively to alleviate the fact that he would barely be able to move under his own strength. The only thing is I'm not sure how useful he would be in terms of combat, I just don't want him to be a burden.

Or the same idea as above but instead becoming a being of metal that actually does boost his brawn but reverts back if he becomes unconcious.

Since I've just seen Guardians of the Galaxy again recently all I can think of for the second set of powers is dropping the 1 into his intelligence and making him something like Groot :lol:

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Rukellian »

As a general rule to follow, the order in which you rolled your primary stats remains static. Meaning, your stats would look like this:

Melee: 1
Coordination: 20
Brawn: 10
Fortitude: 40
Intellect: 20
Awareness: 10
Willpower: 30

With this taken into consideration, as well as your character's origin, it should be easier to choose which power table you want to work with.

Remember, you also need to roll for skills to see how many you have. Depending on your power selection, those skills that you choose can potentially supplement your abilities, adding bonuses to your rolls.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#283 Post by LtTibbles »

Oh alright, I read in the character creation thread that rolled scores could be assined but re-rolls weren't allowed, also I ended up only rolling 1 skill, do elastic attacks count as melee or coordination attacks?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Rukellian »

LtTibbles wrote:Oh alright, I read in the character creation thread that rolled scores could be assined but re-rolls weren't allowed, also I ended up only rolling 1 skill, do elastic attacks count as melee or coordination attacks?
It can be used either or, depending on the situation. If you ball up your fist and throw the punch using elasticity, you are still performing a melee attack. If you use your elasticity to sling an object towards a target, then its coordination.

The skill you rolled up can be a contact if you'd like, keep that in mind when choosing. Almost anything goes, just need my approval on it ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#285 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I am considering keeping Hot Streak and if Rule allows it run Normal as my sidekick/muscle
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#286 Post by atpollard »

Rukellian wrote:Atpollard, I'm really enjoying the posts you've been making to help pass the time for everyone. Your showing a lot of insight into the workings of how a 4c game could be run.

The current approach you are taking, is this something you would like to see implemented in my future postings? Admittedly, I may not be as experienced in describing immediate environs like you do, but it is certainly something that I wouldn't mind putting a lot of effort into, if it means keeping the majority of the players 'in' the game and enjoying it even more.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

More than anything else, I have several PbP games that I am involved in that, for a variety of reasons, have died a slow, unnatural, withering death in the last few months.
I was and am really in the mood to play.
Sixty-plus hour work weeks are sucking much of the fun out of life, so making time for my family and taking time out to just play is important as a way for me to cope with the stress of commercial land development permitting and construction deadlines.

So most of this has been more about finding a creative outlet where I can post "let's pretend".
The NPCs are my opportunity to do something.
I agree that it is much more fun with other player involvement.
I am, frankly, not sure whether what I have been doing has really captured the imagination of the other players.
So I don't really NEED this sort of interaction for my 'Cowboy' Character and it may ultimately fall into the same fatal flaw of unsustainability as your earlier attempt at trying to run too many NPC Heroes and Villains.

If you are interested, there are sites that provide generators that I use heavily to create an NPC with a minimum of effort ...

QUICK CHARACTERS

Is one that I used a lot for this adventure to just generate some random NPCs to play and interact with.

What matters to the game - long term - is for players to want to play.
Even this adventure only had minimum player involvement.

... but I did what made ME happy, so I advise you to do the same ... post what YOU enjoy posting.

... I have another game that I Referee where I started the game as a solo adventure with an open invitation to anyone else who wants to participate. It has reduced my GM stress level a lot to adopt a rule/mindset that I will play with whoever shows up. As Ref, if a player isn't around to direct his character, then I am free to use them as an NPC until the player get's back. The focus is on the game and playing and having fun. Anyone who wants to play, can play. Anyone who wants to leave, can leave ... and return when and if they feel like playing again. Mentally, being prepared to play alone, if necessary, has reduced the stress of deciding how long to wait for EVERY player to respond to a situation. I set a personal goal of one post per day (five per week), which I seldom achieve, but which makes four significant posts every seven days achievable and sustainable (at least so far).

So the real question is 'what would make you happy?'
Find that, embrace it, and invite anyone with the desire to come and play make-believe.
Then play with whoever shows up.
That's what I have been doing.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Rukellian »

LtTibbles, I will need to know what your super's skill or contact will be before we pick the game back up this weekend, everything else looks good at a cursory glance.

Mister Kent, please bring your character sheet over to the character thread so that I can take a final look at it.

Pyro, as it stands, you are still controlling both Flicker and Aether. I was hoping that you would pick one of the two to focus on, but did you actually want to continue to work with both? If it is the latter, I will be expecting a little bit more than just some basic actions and rolls from your characters.

Vorpal can stay as your henchman GreyWolfVT.

Any questions that need to be answered before I begin this weekend?

GreyWolfVT

#288 Post by GreyWolfVT »

are well back up and running Ruke?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Rukellian »

GreyWolfVT wrote:are well back up and running Ruke?
I'm getting things started at least. The group of players can join in when they are ready and we will go from there. I will follow atpollards advice in not setting things up so that we are forced to wait for everyone to be ready and respond. Things will be moving at a fairly frequent rate now, I hope. The events of both sides being run by players that will be active.

Active = every couple days as a general ballpark

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by PyroArrow »

Rukellian wrote: Pyro, as it stands, you are still controlling both Flicker and Aether. I was hoping that you would pick one of the two to focus on, but did you actually want to continue to work with both? If it is the latter, I will be expecting a little bit more than just some basic actions and rolls from your characters.
I will still use both Flicker & Aether, however if someone else joins the game i'm willing to part with a character.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#291 Post by Mister-Kent »

I'll put the finishing touches on my sheet/bio and take it over to the thread tonight :D
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by MonkeyWrench »

"It's been awhile..."

Months have passed and it seemed as if the actions that threatened to blow up the city had quietly slipped away until none of it remained. The streets were cleaned up, the people felt safer, the heroes of the city had regained power, keeping an ever vigilant eye over the world. the damage was repaired and life, as they knew it, seemed to move on.

"Yeah, it's been awhile..."

But with ever ending there's always unanswered questions, where did the villains of this story go? What happened to them? Was there some climactic battle that the world had missed? Or did the evil simply slip away into a slumber, only to return stronger than ever?

"It's been awhile... hehehehe"

Where did the iconic evil that infested the world go?

The anarchist, flinging fire and causing chaos.
The hacker, delving into the deepest parts of the net.
The Leader, making sure his band of misfits always stands on top.
And... the psychopath, His insane laughter and trail of torn and ripped body parts littering every street alley... Lets Play a game... Hehe

"It's been awhile... But I'm back. HehehehehahahHAHAHAHA"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#293 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I am happy to run both Vorpal and Hot Streak but as pyro said if anyone wishes to take over Vorpal that is fine by me. ;)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Rukellian »

To keep in line with what has already happened and to maintain a consistent story progression, the villian side will probably begin Cowboy's suggested plan in order to solidify their foothold in Atlas City. Whether the group reaches their destination smoothly remains to be seen. The time of day is early morning, still quite dark out. The civil unrest currenting taking place in the industrial sector has spread far and wide, the villians will be affected as well.

The hero side is going to be funneled into a singular mission to help start things off. They will need to deal with the current street war taking place beforehand, but if the pace starts to drag again, I most likely do some legwork for the group so that we can get straight to the good bits of the game. If Pulpatoon's Professor Perryton character wants to engage in the pre-planned interrogation of the Rook Industries employee, I'm sure we can arrange a side thread for things like that. The more the player puts into things like these, the more they get out of it (information, equipment and supplies, contacts and or allies, ect.).

Glad to hear it Mister Kent, good to know you are still with us!

GreyWolfVT

#295 Post by GreyWolfVT »

bummer i wanted to hunt that group of mutant things in the sewers Ruke ... :(

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Rukellian »

GreyWolfVT wrote:bummer i wanted to hunt that group of mutant things in the sewers Ruke ... :(
the player's wishes are my command ;) it shall be done :ugeek: The ASF raid needs some proper preparation anyways, yes?

GreyWolfVT

#297 Post by GreyWolfVT »

that is my thoughts ues Ruke

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rukellian wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:bummer i wanted to hunt that group of mutant things in the sewers Ruke ... :(
the player's wishes are my command ;) it shall be done :ugeek: The ASF raid needs some proper preparation anyways, yes?
I thought Genocide was already on his way to those sewers....
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#299 Post by GreyWolfVT »

so was hot streak MW

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Rukellian »

GreyWolfVT wrote:so was hot streak MW
There might have been some last minute branching off with player directions right before the break, atpollard doing one thing while grey and mw doing another. I can certainly work both angles at once, i just need to make sure this is what is going down.

If we were to go this route, what would happen is atpollard would recieve a single player experience when doing his side of the content and the other two villian would be working together on their own mission. Communications are still a go between all three or four of you considering that Cowboy hooked you all up with what... a hundred or so phones? :lol: I did remember that correctly, yes?

Return to “Rebirth of Power: a 4c system game”