A Hunting They Will Go > Spring 1358 DR

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: A Hunting They Will Go > Spring 1358 DR

#301 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar wipes the shot from himself with a look of grim determination. He is not happy but has seen a lot worse lately.

He agrees with Tohmal's plan right away, perhaps because he will not need to pretend to be a prisoner.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by wolfpack »

Dalivere will take off his coat and lovingly fold it and hide it under some bushes as he dons one of the cloaks.

You know I could turn someone invisible. Perhaps even myself that would allow me to get in position to strike a group. Dalivere says in an off hand way.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#303 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar stops what he was doing when he hears Dalivere's offhand comment about turning someone invisible.
That could be very advantageous. Whoever you make invisible must still move silently to avoid the sentries however.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#304 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:Darkstar stops what he was doing when he hears Dalivere's offhand comment about turning someone invisible.
That could be very advantageous. Whoever you make invisible must still move silently to avoid the sentries however.
"I'll do it, especially if it gives me the opportunity to stick my sword in the dark robe's back..." Greystone answers after a moment of hesitation.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#305 Post by Dogma »

The paladin unbuckles his sword belt and hands it to Purvan. "It would not go well to walk armed if I am to be a prisoner. Do not stray far from side as I am sure I will have need of it."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by hedgeknight »

Since I've heard from 4 out of 6 players, I'm ready to move forward. But I want to make sure I understand...Greystone is going to be invisible? Yes?
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#307 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:Since I've heard from 4 out of 6 players, I'm ready to move forward. But I want to make sure I understand...Greystone is going to be invisible? Yes?
Sounds like it!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by wolfpack »

Dalivere nods.
very well, however I have to let you know. Once you take an offensive action the spell will break. You are on invisible as long as you do not attack.

Dalivere clears his throat and stretches his arm. he pulls some components from his pouch and begins to gracefully weave his hands while speaking the strange words of the language of magic and casts invisibility on Darkstar.

When the elf winks form sight Dalivere gives a victorious smile.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#309 Post by Alethan »

Greystone nods his head in appreciation, though no one can see it...

"It seems I may have misjudged your usefulness, Dalivere," says an ethereal voice. Then Greystone says no more as he prepares to sneak along quietly with the group.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Argennian »

Purvan agrees that Tohmal's plan has at least a decent chance of working. Regardless he cannot think of another and knows that time is growing short.

He takes one of the fallen elves' cloaks and puts it on after stashing his own in his pack. He then does his best to reassure Thaleese and calm her down. "I'll stay close to you, Leesa. When we spring our ambush, hit one of those black robes with your wand and then move for cover. If you see any of them that are attempting to cast a spell or use magic against us, target them next, okay? We can do this," he offers her with a smile and firm grasp of her hand. "Let's do it for not just the elves but Drake and Bartolo as well!"
Dogma wrote:The paladin unbuckles his sword belt and hands it to Purvan. "It would not go well to walk armed if I am to be a prisoner. Do not stray far from side as I am sure I will have need of it."

Purvan nods his understanding to Lysander and slings the paladin's weapons belt over his shoulder, being mindful to do so in a manner that will not impede access to his quiver.

When the group prepares to move out, the young half-elf nodes his readiness. He pulls the hood of the cloak over his head to hide his true identity and keeps his elven bow and an arrow to hand. He walks next to Thaleese as they approach the elf encampment.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by hedgeknight »

wolfpack wrote:...and casts invisibility on Darkstar.
Did you mean Greystone? Or Darkstar?
Argennian wrote:We can do this," he offers her with a smile and firm grasp of her hand. "Let's do it for not just the elves but Drake and Bartolo as well!"
Thaleese nods and hugs Purvan tightly. He can feel her heart thumping against his chest. "I'm terrified, Van. After the archway...I don't know what we might face in the camp. I just...I just want to go back to the archway, study it, and report back to Longsaddle."

With grim determination, the elves encircle the "prisoners" and lead them deeper into the territory of the Owl clan. They don't get far before a sentry calls out to them from his perch high in an old chestnut tree. Tohmal responds with another call and the sentry blends back into the foilage...in fact, many of the group never even saw the sentry in the first place!
http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2014-04-0 ... noises.wav

Another 100 yards or so finds the group coming into view of the first "houses" of the clan. These stick-built tree houses connect to other trees by narrow swinging bridges and some even have a type of wire for zipping along from house to house. The forest floor around this region is damp and swampy and the trees roots sink deep into the earth and rise above as well. "We Owls are just as home in the canopy as we are on ground," Min says. "But the black robes are not. They have set up camp just below the main roost. Look there!"
elf village.jpg
elf village.jpg (296.05 KiB) Viewed 667 times
A towering bald cypress as big around as most buildings you've seen rises from the middle of the swampy land, serving as home to the Owl clan. In the distance, the smoke from Mount Hotenow colors the sky as the sunset draws nearer. On the forest floor, built inside the massive roots of the cypress...is the camp of the black robes. You can see three black robed figures milling about. One is gathering dry wood, another is feeding a campfire, and the third has a young elven woman by the throat and hair, speaking to her sternly, treating her roughly. Four other elves stand around on guard, seemingly ignoring the scene.

Actions?

@ whoever is invisible >
whether you are with the others or following behind, you are able to look around more freely and observe all that is going on. "Owls" are posted in various lookout positions and several of them are accompanied by great gray owls, much like the Lynx elves have their own animal companions. As your group approaches the great cypress, the home of the clan, you see, high above along the walkway, a black robed figure who seems to emanate power. The figure is watching your group's procession. Standing next to the figure are two wood elves of the clan.
Winter is coming...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by wolfpack »

sorry greystone. still learning whose who.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#313 Post by Alethan »

A disembodied voice whispers, "Looks like the main black robe is up there along the walkway."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by wolfpack »

how far apart are the 3 black robes on the ground?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#315 Post by Dogma »

Lysander stumbles along, trying to look like a dejected prisoner. He keeps his head down, not wanting to give away the information that Greystone jsut passed along.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by hedgeknight »

wolfpack wrote:how far apart are the 3 black robes on the ground?
5-10 feet, give or take a foot or two.
Winter is coming...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by wolfpack »

Dalivere whispers

From the right position I should be able to hit all 3 of the black robes with a single spell

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Argennian »

Purvan hesitates a few moments before chancing a casual glance up to see if he can identify what the invisible Greystone noticed. He continues to move forward with the others, trying his best to walk and exude the mannerisms of the other elves as he prepares for what's coming.

When they spring the ambush, the young half-elf will look to target the main black robe.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

tazwmg
Scout
Scout

#319 Post by tazwmg »

Thurgrum is keeping his eyes open and is still watching that mangy goblin.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by hedgeknight »

Camp of the Owls

As your group approaches, the two black robed men working on the fire stop what they are doing and turn to face you. The third man holding the elven woman gives you a glare and literally hurls her away from him, sending her crashing to the ground where she lies there whimpering like a scared dog. The four elven guards standing around do nothing.

"What have we here?" the man says, sneering and pulling his cloak aside. A large mace hangs on his hip and he rests his hand on it as he speaks. "More prisoners? And a very pretty plaything, yes?"
He approaches Thaleese who is literally trembling in fear. As he does, Purvan snatches a glance up at the walkways, spying a man standing there...and his glance allows him to see a large raven land on the man's shoulder.

@ Lysander >
you can feel the evil emanating off this man; his hands although clean are stained with the blood of countless innocents.
The man reaches out to touch Thaleese's face but halts when the figure from above calls out. "Send her up to me, Barthos. I'd rather she arrive undefiled."
The man, Barthos, recoils and sneers again, glancing up at the figure on the walkway. "As you wish, Shumar...as you wish."
Barthos jerks his head toward Thaleese and the two other men begin to move forward...and then Barthos looks hard at the Kolle, the Goblin "prisoner"...and those closest can see the recognition in his gray eyes...

If you're going to act...now's the time!
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”