IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

Re: IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

#21 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Mukuli, Thief, Rivers Edge***

Mukuli, hearing the words of the dying slave master reaches down and snatches the witches healing poultice away. Pulling the spear form Genubath, and spreading the poultice onto the wound, Mukuli whispers into his ear. "You better hold true to your end of the deal and make us legal free men. Do you understand?"

Mukuli, believes that being made free men (legally), is far better than being hunted as escaped slaves and killers. He just wants this whole thing to end and be left alone(Idiosyncrasies-Introvert).

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#22 Post by Rostranor »

Once freed Ari-nasir picked up a spear from one of the dead guards and stood looking at the other Barbarians. He listened as the gambler explained the situation.

"I see, yes. Well if you would be so kind as to make my words into their words I shall see what can be done."

Ari-nasir stepped forward spear in hand. "I am Ari-nasir the Fortunate Sailor of the Sands, greetings and salutations great warriors of the Domha. Your attack timed perfectly with my desire to return to freedom and a change of clothes."

A great smile filled his mouth and framed his snow white teeth.

"In the combat I saved your friend, a companion worthy of such a fierce and well planned rescue attempt must surely be of great worth to the clan and your family. No thanks necessary in for my part in saving him. We have aided each other! I require only sufficient stores from this tub for my companions and I. Otherwise I surrender any other claim to you, in friendship and wergeld for the captivity of your noble friend. We have met on chance, bore arms in the same cause, let us now part as friends."
I am assuming because of our location that these guys are Dohma if not I'll change my post. Ari-nasir is using his traits Savy and Barterer here. I am also relying on the fact that he was a caravan guard to give him some cross cultural knowledge.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim

Once he is freed, Arngrim tries to salvage a weapon off of a dead guard. He waits and listens and remains ready and tensed to move quickly in case of any further combat.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Dogma »

Ptah-Kahtmak, Keshite Sorcerer

Ptah-Kahtmak watches with hooded eyes as Mukuli givens his ministrations to the wounded slaver as he slides his dagger into the rough cord he used as a belt. He wasn't sure why the Khazakhaan would want to keep Genubath alive. though he guessed it might be possible the man miht be of some use. Ptah could always slit the slaver-dog's throat later. Right now he had a much more important mission to do...made more urgent by the apparent hostility of their so-called liberators.

Ptah will move over to the chest asn try to find his spell-book.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#25 Post by imperialus »

Ari-Nasir:
Not quite, they're Karthis. You surmise that they likely came down from the mountains into the foothills to rescue a clanmember, who, assuming he is indeed a smith is likely an important person within the clan.
As Heptman translates, you see the grey eyes of the Barbarian you saved from being stabbed in the back meet yours in a steady gaze. He says something harsh in Karlani towards a much younger tribesman making a chopping motion with his hand as though to cement the fact that the discussion was over. The younger barbarian glowers puffs up for a moment, and begins to form a retort, but another barked command from your companion silences him. The younger warrior then undoes a belt and scabbard that was fastened about his waist, and throws it to the ground at the older warriors feet. Bending to pick it up, the warrior then turns to you and speaks in halting tradespeak.

"Companions we came... and friends we leave. Name is Sigmund. Apologize for Rath." he gestures towards the young warrior Is young. Hot blood. Does not believe debts can be owed to flatlanders. I owe you life. Large debt. One I can not repay. Please, take this. he extends the belt he had picked up off the ground. "I am Steel Seer of my clan. I give you gift of my steel." He pauses for a moment as though trying to think of the words. "We go now. That what was his" he gestures at Genubath and then at everyone"is yours. We have no need... With that, he turns with his companions and they begin traveling to the north, higher up into the foothills of the Karthis mountains.

Looking at the weapon he gave, you it is a long double edged poinaird, that comes to a sharp angled tip perfect for stabbing through mail links. The graceful waves of the damascine flow up and down the blade and its craftsmanship is excellent.

Ptah-Kahtmak: you are able to find your spellbook, no problem, the vellum pages covered in arcane script and bound in worn black leather welcome your touch and you think you can almost feel the arcane energy pulsate as you hold it. Under your spellbook you also find Genubath's ledger showing his purchases and sales, and a credit note drawn on a merchant house in Neter-Aaru for 1000 iron pieces. There is also a total of 52 iron coins of varying mintage, 132 bronze coins, and 191 ceramic beads shaped into bean shapes with the stamps of various merchant houses on them. There is also a small bronze figurine cast into the shape of an Ooruk, an engraved pewter mug, and a Backgammon set with ivory dice, and wooden playing pieces.

Mukuli: as you hold the poultice over Genubath he nods frantically. "Free! Yes, free as the birds. Genubath is a man of honor!" Upon pulling the spear free, Genubath lets out a shriek and then passes out. He's still alive, but you wonder just how powerful this remedy is. The spearpoint had obviously pierced his vitals, and oftentimes even sorcery can't save people with such an injury. Spreading the poultice on however, you see the bleeding stop. Another few moments and you have wrapped his stomach with some cloth. Even if he regains consciousness you figure he has maybe a 50/50 chance... If he breaks into a fever... well probably best just to end it.

Arngrim (and others) upon searching the bodies you find a total of 7 simple iron short swords and spears. You also find 5 usable shields, and 4 leather jacks with small bronze plates sewn onto them for added protection. The other 3 suits of armour have all been significantly damaged, certainly won't protect you from any blows. Gathering together the coins in their belt pouches you also find a total of 15 bronze pieces, and 25 ceramic as well as a clay dice set, a leather bracelet with copper beads on it, and a set of Zhou playing cards made from thin pieces of lacquered wood.
From a mechanics standpoint. The swords and spears do 1d6 and 1d8 damage respectively. They're munitions quality junk though, simple iron blades that you can never seem to get completely sharp, and are likely to bend if you hit them too hard. The armour gives +2 AC. The dagger given to Ari-Nasir is extremely high quality, and does 1d5 damage instead of 1d4.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim takes a spear, tuck a sword into his belt (or a scabbard if he can find one), and shield. If he finds a leather jack that fits, he takes it and puts it on. He bangs his new spear into his shield. "By the gods, it is good to be free again!"

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Blazeguard »

Sargon will examine the swords with a disappointed look "Ah, beggars can't be choosers", but will choose the best one he can find and will select a shield as well.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#28 Post by Rostranor »

so Arngrim and Ari-nasir are both caravan guards, perhaps from the same caravan that was overrun and sold into bondage?

Ari-nasir picked up the weapon and saluted his rescuers. "May your forge burn hot and clean allof your days Sigmund!"

Ari-nasir turned to his companions, " So Arngrim, and new friends. We find ourselves upon the road, fate brought us together as new bound slaves, and has forged us into poor but destitute friends. Should we seek, water, food, and profitable enterprise?"

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by MrHemlocks »

Mukuli, stands up and walks away from the patched slave master and gathers himself an iron sword. "Though it is rusty and a bit bent around the edges it will do for now." Taking off a pouch that Genubath had carried, Mukuli ties it around his waist.

"Two things gentlemen. First, I suggest we split up the coinage now before going any further. That way in case we get separated or worse all the coin does not fall into ruin. Second, I patched up Genubath. He has promised us that he will declare us all free men if he is allowed to live. I for one would like to live my life as a free man instead of always on the run and labeled as a murderer and fugitive."

Mukuli, taps the pouch around his waist. "Now let's have those coins."
Can you help figure out about how many each of us are to get? Not sure of the exchange rate of the various coins and other items found.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#30 Post by Rostranor »

Ari-nasir smiled his white toothed smile and laughed. " Division of spoils so soon? We have just embarked on our enterprise. Do as you like. As for being free men, we are. That trader of souls has no control over me. I do not bear a slaves brand or mark, and besides distance for those who do provides its own freedom. If you are worried Bout such things though dear friend your better off running the bastard through. Despite any oaths given now when he gets to market he will surely sell you into bondage to recoop his losses. Have you ever met a merchant on the road who when he got home was happy that his coin, goods, and ahhhh his pouch, were riding on another man's hip? I think not. The moment those warriors broke the woodline he was a dead man. Besides I'm not going to carry him."

"Now, how about some wine and some dates from our good master's stores and discuss were we head to next."

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim sighs. "Ari-Nasir is probably correct. These dogs have no code. I will not kill him but", he turns his gaze to Genubath, "his fate is his own. If my spear didn't do its work, I'll hold no grudge against a man who decides to finish the task."

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#32 Post by Rostranor »

Ari-nasir strode upon the barge and ignoring the injured slave trader plucked the basket of dates and wine skin from the deck. He moved away from the injured man and whether it was on purpose or just by accident he managed to dislodge the shade curtain so that the man now lay directly under the blazing sun, oblivious to the moan the wounded man uttered the dark skinned Sailor of the Sands moved to mid ship and the rest of his former chain gang mates. He looked around and pondered, popped a date into his mouth, took a swig of wine and then passed the skin to the next man.

"We are an odd band of fellows to be sure. I have never been attributed to being a wise man, or a learned one, but lucky? Yes, I'll take lucky over good any day and it seems as though my fortune has passed on to you this day. And my good friend Arngrim, twice now you and I together have been plucked by the hand of fate. Once on the day our caravan was attacked, all others killed or wounded and left, but you and I fortunate enough to be taken into bondage. Now on this day we are free once more."

"We can not go back the way we came, no, no. That wouldnt do, too many questions to be answered. Left and right are both bad as well. Forward, forward is the only way to go, onward to Y'mataar. We can take the boat and move at our own leisurely pace. Make for Y'mataar and sell what we can, including the boat. We, Arngrim and I, and perhaps one or two of the others were the caravan guards. The rest of you were passengers picked up and were saved the trouble of walking. We were beset by barbarians, our master killed and the slaves liberated. Our lives were spared when we poled away from the ambush and made for the center of the river. Alas, all others were left behind. Being devoted to our master we tried to save him from a grievous wound from a thrown spear. Poor man died while we made out way to the docks, dutiful servants and guards that we are we have brought the body this great distance so that he may rest with his people in the manner in which they are buried. If after that there is no enterprise to bind us then we can go our own way with at least enough to make a go of it on or own. So, companions, what say you to my plan?"

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Blazeguard »

Sargon looked around at the rest of the party until his gaze stopped on Ari-nasir. "You say you are not a wise or learned man but there is much wisdom in what you say. In fact, I daresay we all owe our lives to your courage and quick thinking. I for one see no better option and your story is well thought out and quite plausible. I am happy to defer leadership to you at least until we reach Y'mataar. What say the rest of you?" With his decision made and publicized, Sargon steps back to watch the rest of the discussion.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by MrHemlocks »

Looking up and over at Ari-nasir, Mukuli shakes his head. "Your plan sounds good but for one thing and that is murdering Genubath. I already promised him freedom if he would declare us all freemen and not escaped killers. He is but one man. His word is all that he has left. Let him go and if he fails to hold up to his end of the deal than may my blade be first to draw his life giving blood. He goes with us. We drop him off at the nearest settlement and we leave him after we figure out what we want to do next."

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#35 Post by Rostranor »

AAAHHH, fair Y’Mataar!

The brown skinned man slapped his thigh and laughed to the heavens.

City of the Scarab and royal seat of a Sorceror King reborn! It boasts one of the largest and most diverse markets in the land. Where each house has its own quarter in which its word is law. A great city in which each citizen has their purpose and their place. Without a care in the world, so long as they follow the rules that is. And, did you know…on each month a great festival! Where the whole city assembles at the temple to behold their god-king and render unto him praise. He gifts his children wine, wine that flows like water on the river of Blades, and entertainment too. Great shows and feats of strength done by brave combatants. Where loss and victory equal the same. Death, for the glory of the god-king of Y’Mataar.
The only rule is all must attend, and those who break that law, or any other are thrown into the pits to do battle. Law is a funny thing, for god-kings it is a whim, for noble citizens it is a capricious dust djinn that blows and sways like the wind. For the citizens it is a yoke and a safety net from those in power. At least to a small degree. For travelers? Ahhh it is too bad, because to be accused is to be guilty.
I am rambling good friends, pass me the wine. I will need to fortify myself, for polling Genubath into a city renowned for its slave market and sand pit warriors, this will be thirsty work. Well my Khazak friend it seems our master will burn himself in the hot sun. Should we not shade him and return to him his wine, his coin….. his pouch I am sure is safe with you, and his obedient servants, slaves now to an oath made by a wounded man fearing for his own life far from home and allies.

Ari-nasar continued to smile showing his snow white teeth, but he as yet made no move to get up or get the barge back into the pull of the river. His fingers tumbling around the basket of dates at lying beside him.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim shrugs. "Once place is as good as another. If it be Y'mataar, so be it."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Dogma »

The Keshite sorcerer slipped the spell book and the merchant ledger into his cotton shift. Leaving the coins in the chest for now he moved back over to the stricken slaver.

While the others discussed where to go next he began to quietly murmur and make mystical gestures over the wounded man.

"You have guided me to my book as promised. Now I will fulfill my promise and ease your suffering...though only in this world." Ptah-Kahtmak quickly pulled the dagger from his belt and slashed it across Genubrath's throat.

"My master will surely enjoy your soul."
Last edited by Dogma on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#38 Post by Rostranor »

glad that got sorted out!

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Dogma »

No way was Ptah going to let that guy live. I know it's not a real ritual, but it couldn't hurt his relationship with his patron.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#40 Post by imperialus »

With a gurgling sigh, Genubath's life flows from his neck. His eyes open with shock, followed by absolute terror, and his mouth opens and closes wordlessly, before his eyes roll back in their sockets and his breathing stops. The rest of you think you might almost hear a deep throated chuckle tickling in the backs of your brain, almost at the edge of hearing, and something causes the hair on the back of your necks to stand on end as a chill races down your spine but the feeling passes after a second or two.

Return to “Tales From the Fallen Empire [DCC]”