IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

#1 Post by imperialus »

Genubath the Golden plying his trade

Hot... Hot and exhausted. That is the only possible way to describe your condition as you poll a small barque up against the current of the River of Blades. Time seems to have lost all meaning as the riverbank moves sluggishly beside you.

Reclining in a small settee under an awning near the rear of the boat your current owner Genubath the Golden turns to Ogre, a massive brute of a slave master who is currently manning the rudder and exclaims "Damn this heat." in the tongue of traders. He then gestures towards you and raises his voice mixing Keshhtic words in with the traders tounge "Come now chattel! Put your strength to it! But two days hence we will be reaching Y'Mataar! Then you may rest! Then you are at your strongest for market!" he then leans back and takes a long swig from a wineskin at his belt before passing it to Ogre and popping a few dates in his mouth.

The Karthis barbarian who's name you still do not know looks back at the sound of Genubath's voice, and his eyes narrow with pure unadulterated hate. Fortunately for his back, Genubath and Ogre are both too distracted by their wine to notice, and the eyes of the guards are trained on the riverbanks so his disrespect was not noted.

At that moment, one of the outriders who had been keeping pace alongside the boat on the river rides into view on a small sandbank. He shouts out to Genubath and Ogre in Keshtic. You don't understand much, other than river, and possibly the word for tree or wood. The Keshite gambler named Heptman lets out a low moan before explaining in Tradespeak that a tree has apparently fallen across the river... Now you were expected to move it. You're not sure, but you think the barbarian's face may have flashed into a feral grin upon hearing the news before returning once again to its masklike expression. Cursing, Ogre brings the boat up to the bank near the tree and beaches it. After a few barked orders Ogre begins getting you organized as a work party to move the tree.

Once your feet hit the ground, one of the guards again starts shouting something in Keshtic and pointing at the stump... which appears to have been deliberately cut. His words are cut off with a gurgling scream as the head of a javalin bursts through his torso, and you hear shouts and warcries from the forest. The barbarian lets out a snarl like a caged beast and leaps behind Ogre, using the ropes that bind his hands like a garrote begins to choke the life out of him. A nearby guard shouts in surprise and moves to drive his spear through the Karthis' back as Ogre gurgles and flails at his attacker.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

Re: IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

#2 Post by Rostranor »

Ari-nasir quickly surmised that this was probably their best chance of escape. The way the barbarian had reacted to events he had a feeling that this might be a rescue attempt, itmwould be most unfortunate for the Barbarian to be killed. Ari-Nasir's brown hands soon wrapped themselves around a river stone. He smiled to his companions showing his snow white teeth. "Good friends, I am thinking now is the time for action. If you please move with me so I may aid our good companion with the strong back"

Shuffling as best he could he attempted to smash the guard with the mud covered rock before he could strike at the Barbarian.

Ooc: Ari is going to attempt to backstab the guard before he can backstab the Barbarian and smash him in the head with the rock.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim wraps some chain around his fists and leaps to tackle the guard about to skewer the barbarian.
Arngrim will use his Mighty Deed of Arms on the attempt: [1d20] = 4 + [1d3] = 1 + 1 (Luck) + 2 (STR) = 8
Last edited by Todd Spengo on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Blazeguard »

Sargon grins at Mukuli, "It looks like our ship just came in. If we team up we stand a lot better chance of overpowering these guards." He will quickly look around for a rock to attack with. Provided he finds one quickly enough, together with Mukuli, they will attack the closest guard.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Mukuli, Thief, Rivers Edge***

Mukuli, seeing that this is his chance for freedom decides to act. Being chained to his fellow slaves but in the rear of the group he reaches for Ogre's weapon as he drops to the ground. When in hand he will attack the closest guard near him.
Keeping quite, Mukuli waits for his chance to act...

ooc...I figure since Mukuli is in the rear of the party and all combatants , including Ogre, are on land that he could reach Ogre's weapon (stealthy...cultural trait) as he falls to the barbarians attack.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Dogma »

Ptah-Kahtmak- Keshite Sorcerer, River's Edge

Ptah-Kahtmak wasn't one who normally took physical action against his foes, but the long days of poling the boat and the harsh bite of the whips and driven a strong hatred into his heart for the one called Ogre. Seizing the opportunity, with a snarl he lunges for Ogre's dagger, attempting to rip it from his belt and plunge it into the hated man's vital organs.

OOC: moved attack rolls to OOC thread.
Last edited by Dogma on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by Rostranor »

[1d20] = 14

I don't recall what I assigned Backstab as so its either a roll of 15 or 17. I'll roll damage and crit now in case that hits and will edit later when I have my Thief Skills in front of me.

Damage
[1d4] = 4

Critical:
[1d10+3] = 4+3 = 7
Strike to chest grazes vital organ. Inflict +3d4 damage with this strike.

Critical Damage:
[3d4] = 8

Ari snuck up behind the guard, whose focus was entirely upon the barbarian in front of him. The slime and the muck ran down his arms as he lifted the rock up over his head. With a sudden downward smash Ari collided with the guard. He missed his intended mark of the crown of his head, but as the rock smashed into the shoulder of the guard he heard a sickening snap as the force of blow inflicted some serious damage upon the slaver.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by imperialus »

As the guard about to stab your new barbarian friend in the back recoiled from Arngrim's assault, Ari's stone smashed into his spine at the base of his skull. The crunch of breaking bone sets your teeth on edge as the stone crushes the mans vertebrae, severing his spine and causing him to collapse into a heap on the ground wailing. The Barbarian glances at Ari and grins wolfishly as he gives the rope another pull.

Sargon and Mukuli turn their attention to a second guard. As he raised his shield to block Sargon's blow Mukuli smashed his knee with a small club he had recently liberated from Ogre's belt, as the Keshite gambler flailed at him with a treebranch.
I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of making Mukuli's damage roll Mukuli club damage [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
Gambler Attack [1d20] = 9 treebranch damage [1d4] = 2
At the same time a low moan escapes Ogre's lips as Ptah-Kahtmak sinks his dagger into his belly, before the force applied by the Barbarian crunches through his windpipe and he collapses to the ground, legs and arms twitching.

Taking quick stock of your situation you see Genubath cowering in the boat. The guard currently being attacked by Sargon, Mukuli and the Gambler is still standing, but barely, Ogre is dead, the guard about to stab the Barbarian is dead, and you see two other guards being hacked down by your barbarian rescuers(?) That leaves 4 guards still standing, 2 of which (including the injured one) are in easy reach.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Blazeguard »

Sargon regains his balance and prepares to finish the guard off.
To Hit: [1d20] = 13 (forgot to add my STR mod so should be 14)
Damage: [1d4] = 1 (forgot STR mod again so 2 damage)

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim roars, "Genubath, you cowardly bastard, free us or die!" He grabs the spear from the fallen guard and, if he's able, launches it at Genubath.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by Rostranor »

Ari fumbled about searching the guard that he just sent to the halls of his ancestors. He quickly turned out his pockets and and frisked him. Quickly grabbing the weapon that the guard had held he passed it back to Angrim also in the chain gang. Then using anything on hand the quick nimble slave attempted to pick the lock binding him to his companions.
"One moment good friends, yes if you could just stop pulling perhaps we would be more effective, ah yes very good I can move with you. This lock would take but a moment. Ahh, yes they do seem to not be inclined to allow us to escape."

The white toothed man of the desert continued to chat with his companions as he attempted with no initial success to separate themselves from each other.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by imperialus »

This time Sargon's blow connects with the guard's jaw with a vicious upper cut, shattering teeth, snapping his head back, and causing him to collapse to the ground in a heap.

Genubath doesn't even have time to give a response before Angrim's spear connects and he collapses to the ground wailing, and pawing furtively, but ineffectually at the shaft of wood that has sprouted in his belly.

Unfortunately Ari, you are not able to get the lock picked, though it occurs to you that the only person you've ever seen carrying the keys is Genubath.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Todd Spengo »

So there's one guard left standing within easy reach?
Arngrim leaps at the nearest guard and tries to bash him with a chain-wrapped fist. "Your master is skewered like the pig he is! You wish to die for the likes of him!?!"
Attack: [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17 + [1d3] = 1 = 18
Damage: ???
What should I roll for damage?

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Mukuli, Thief, Rivers Edge***

"Now is my chance to be free of this binding." Mukuli, seeing the fallen slave master, with spear in belly, reaches for him searching for a key that will unlock the filthy, rusted iron that is digging into his neck.

Not sure of int order but when his comes along this will be his action.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#15 Post by imperialus »

Todd Spengo wrote:
So there's one guard left standing within easy reach?
Arngrim leaps at the nearest guard and tries to bash him with a chain-wrapped fist. "Your master is skewered like the pig he is! You wish to die for the likes of him!?!"
Attack: [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17 + [1d3] = 1 = 18
Damage: ???
What should I roll for damage?
Woah, slow down there speed racer. We're still waiting on Ptah-Kahtmak's actions, not to mention the slavers and the barbarians. ;)

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Dogma »

OOC: Sorry...been down with a stomach bug for the last couple days.

Ptah-Kahtmak, Keshite Sorcerer.

Ptah-Kahtmak considered casting the spell he had beeen carefully hording since his capture but decided instead to let the others finish off the few guards that were left. He instead carefully makes his way to the fallen Genubath. Showing the wounded man his dagger, the Keshite bends low and whispers in his ear, "Tell me where my spell books are and I can easy your pain. Deny me and I will make you suffer for what will seem like ages. Long has it been since I have given my master a sacrifice."

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Todd Spengo »

imperialus wrote:Woah, slow down there speed racer. We're still waiting on Ptah-Kahtmak's actions, not to mention the slavers and the barbarians. ;)
Sorry. Got ahead of myself... and them. :lol:

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by Rostranor »

yes, and we are all still chained together too, so we need to move as a group.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Todd Spengo »

Rostranor wrote:yes, and we are all still chained together too, so we need to move as a group.
I thought there was one more guard within "easy" reach.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by imperialus »

Unfortunately for both Mukuli and Ptah-Kahtmak the chains that bind you won't let you reach the boat, or Genubath's writhing form. The good news for you at least Ptah-Kahtmak is that it seems as though the spear didn't hit anything too vital... The slave master is certainly going to die, it just might take his body a few agonizing hours to figure that out.

In the mean time the remaining slavers attempt to fight back. Two are already enaged by the barbarians while the third attempts to stab Sargon
Sargon; the spear grazes your side, and you feel its tip bite. You are able to twist your body out of the way to avoid serious injury but your cotton shift is quickly stained red.

The barbarians then renew their own assault cutting down two more guards, and seriously injuring a third, who then throws himself in the river and attempts to flee. He doesn't make it far before a javelin finds his back and he continues floating face down, downriver.

and with that the fight is over, almost before it began. The only sound is the wailing of Genubath coming from the boat.

Mukuli and Ptah-Kahtmak, you are now able to make your way into the boat. The key is found quite quickly, hanging from Genubath's blood soaked belt, and after Path-Khatmak threatens him he wails "My chest! Its in my chest! Please, there is a poultice in there as well from a Khazak witch! It will bind my wound! I will see you rewarded! And of course, your freedom as well he continues blubbering and pleading for his life.

With everything going on, it took you a moment to realize that the Barbarian who was on your slave gang, seems to be arguing with your rescuers. As this dawns on you, and you start paying attention Heptman (the gambler) says in tradespeak "ummm... they seem to be arguing about whether or not to kill us."

Return to “Tales From the Fallen Empire [DCC]”