Rules Interpretations/House Rules

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

Rules Interpretations/House Rules

#1 Post by Merctime »

The Labyrnth Lord ruleset will be used in it's entirety due to being currently and readily available. Even though it's a very faithful end elegant representation of the Moldvay/Cook/Marsh basic and expert Dungeons and Dragons books (in my opinion), rules discrepancies between the two works will default in favor of Labyrnth Lord. Here is one example: Page B8 of the Moldvay Basic Dungeons and Dragons rulebook states that a first level Cleric must earn 1,500 experience points to attain the second level of experience, but page 9 of the Labyrinth Lord rulebook states that a first level Cleric must earn 1,565 to do so. Thus, in this game, a first level Cleric must attain 1,565 experience points to attain the second level of experience (and so on).

For players who don't have access to these rules, Goblinoid Games offers a free, no-art complimentary version available here:
http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html

We will be using 'variable weapon damage' for this game. This is probably what most of you are familiar with in the first place: Not every weapon will do 1d6 damage :P (Note: In this game, there is no differing damage for creatures of larger than man-size; A longsword does 1d8 damage regardless of the size of creature it strikes successfully, for instance).

For this game, coins will weigh in at 50 to the pound, not 10 to the pound.

Encumbrance will be used, so please list the pound weight of items on your character sheets, and update movement accordingly. Please don't forget coin weight!

I might be persuaded to include some of the 'basic-ized' AD&D classes from Goblinoid Games' 'Advanced Edition Companion', also available for free at the above link. If you wish to play one of those classes instead of those written in Labyrinth Lord, please let me know via PM. I'd generally prefer to keep this game as 'basic' as possible, though.

(Hopefully un-necessary) Disclaimer:
Please understand that this will be my first Dungeon Mastered game in many years, and my first ever Play-by-Post. For this reason, in the interest of maintaining game-playability and player interest, I may need to add in further house rules during play. Please be patient with me regarding this. I won't just 'make a rule' to screw you over; the only reason I can see myself doing this is if we find something unforseen that is causing too much of a problem in our game and is ruining some of the fun. I just want to play a fun game of basic D&D, guys :)

Return to “The Haunted keep-B/X or Labrynth Lord”