Chapter 3: The truth lies in the mountain...

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 3: The truth lies in the mountain...

#1 Post by Rukellian »

Go ahead and start posting here. I already locked the second chapter.

Another day passes for the adventuring group. Some still struggle with the lack of time and darkness at night, the others however have found the comforts of a warm bed more than enough. With Amberlyn now providing her medical services to the group, they can ease their minds a bit knowing that any future wounds gained will be in good hands. Some might also find this a new oppurtunity for friendship, being able to talk with someone who isn't a guy. :lol:

Heading back down the stairs to the smells of food, Flynn takes notice of a note tacked onto one of the walls, something that wasn't there before. The others start to notice it too as they descend down the stairs. The innkeeper nods in that direction saying something about some strange traveler leaving it behind. Upon further questioning, if there is any, all the innkeeper can say is that the man was dressed in bright red clothing, nothing or no one that the group would readily recognize or remember, a stranger in every meaning of the word.

Here is the note:

Greetings Adventurers,

I am Matkinsai, former advisor to the previous king of the Dathan Empire, former assistant to Fenrin, a man of many dark talents as I'm sure you know. If my reasoning is correct, I should now be painted as a dangerous rogue mage, a thief that poses a threat to your kingdom, and more importantly, to Fenrin.

Know that I am not your enemy, nor do I wish to be. The artifact in question, the one that I did steal, is a powerful relic of the magical ages of past; it was rumored to have been forged by a wish, a powerful spell that no surviving documents today can reference, save this library over here. The owner of that wish wanted a world of his own to control, and so thus it was to be as the crystal ball, the Fabricator of Planes, was given birth. Two orbs of unimaginable power, capable of creating new planes of existence.

The higher magical council of the elven kingdoms had wanted nothing of this new item however; they deemed it a threat to the balance of all things in Kinra and proceeded to execute the mage who crafted, locking away one of the orbs inside its crafted plane. The other was safeguarded in the lands of Kinra, never to be found or used again. It was found. Fenrin's ambitions would not have it any other way.

He seeks to plunge your world into the abyssal planes itself, amassing an army of demons and unearthly creatures in this realm, to make a mass sacrifice, a whole kingdom, all in the name of resurrecting magic once again into your world. When I learned of this, flipping through his research journals, I was horrified at first. Such implications, even I could not allow this! So I took immediate action; I made use of his crystalline orb, and traveled to this newly created plane of existence, all in the hopes of finding the second orb and destroying it before Fenrin's dark plans come into fruition.

I've deduced the orb's location, inside the grand mountain, as I'm sure some of you have already figured out. The vault is a temple and the occupants, Fenrin's dark servants. I would go myself, but... I have my reasons for staying here. When you find the orb, please do not return it to Fenrin. Stay in the Inn, I will come to you."

- Matkinsai
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The truth lies in the mountain...

#2 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn rolls his eyes. "Evil begets evil, as always. "
He finds a table with the others and orders whatever meat is available, some bread, and wine.
"I've no mind for the honeyed words nor dealings of witches." he adds to the conversation.
"I am not here for one sorcerer or the next. My king and lordLiege bids me do this task. I should see it done. "
He studies those present.
"What say you? Does a witch rent our duties or our lord?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon awakens the next morning, dresses, counts his money again, and goes down for breakfast. He orders grits, ham, fruits, cow milk and peasant bread. Breakfast is after all the most important meal of the day. And a big day indeed is ahead of him.

Deceidon looks about for his companions. He hopes a healer is now in their employ, and can bring his skills to bear on the fighter's lingering light wounds. He finds them sitting around a table reading a letter.

Deceidon reads it. "Hmmm, this confirms suspicions about the mountain. Our course is clear in one sense: Where to find the orb. Yet clouded in another sense: If these words are true, and the orb will lead to unleasing Fenrin's evil in the world, then do we not owe it to the King to destroy the orb?"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tooleychris »

"Depends on which sorcerer you fancy tells us the truth. Tis to be this stranger or the kings beloved brother, Savvy? Flynn shakes his head.
"I am still my kings man. I say leave the decisions that belong in higher hands stay there. We perform as requested and leave consequence to those who know better."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aye, that is the safest course," answers Deceidon. "Who knows if the rogue magician is setting a trap for us, 'giving' us the orb location? We should hire sword arms to aid our expedition."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell replies...

I am of like mind as Flynn, there. I will do what I believe the king should want, and let the rest fall where it may.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov, fighter/thief

"So, do we look where this note would lead us, or look elsewhere?
"I feel no rush to walk into this potential trap, but it seems we were likely headed in this same direction regardless."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn furrows his brow. "It would seem, should I be reading correctly, that this...Matkinsai has an eye on us or at the least this other orb. Else how might he meet us when the deed is complete?"
He bites his lip thinking and looks around the tavern room at the other patrons And whispers.
"Any could be spying us right now. We will walk into the spiders web, but we will know it's a trap and be wary. Yes?
He sighs.
"I know nothing of the workings of magic and cannot think on how we should prepare. Are there none among you with such knowledge? Come now. This is not the time for prejudice or superstition. If we're to fight fire with fire then we will need flint to strike against our steel."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

The DM listen's to the group's conversation with great interest; he wonders as to how the group will proceed and react to each other's statements, keeping his bonus experience reward sheet close by... ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell, rereading the letter on a whim, notices the library reference.
Guys, wonder where this library is, and whether not we should investigate that surviving copy of the spell. probably would do good to know it.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn scrolls thru the letter again. "save this library over here..." he muses aloud.
"over here. Where might 'here' be? then he shakes his head and laughs.
"Of course, we could have a volume of such spells and use it not for but to wipe arse if unable to read such..."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aye, I would burn such an infernal document so it may never cast its evil upon the land again!" says Deceidon vehemently. Too much talk of magic is bothering him, as if such arcane matters were commonplace! "Let us set the whole building ablaze!" thinks Deceidon but decides it better to not voice such radical thought.

"I know not of magics, though we have two red potions that I've yet to pour in the gutter," says the figther-thief. He pulls one out to examine.

"Perhaps they would be effective as grenades thrown against foes?" he adds, demonstrating his wisdom with magic.

"Let's spend all this gold and bring an army to the mountain. Drive in, create distraction to foil potential trap, as we sneak apart to achieve true purpose."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rukellian »

As the group loudly debates their course of action over a morning meal, Amberlyn enters the room as she descends down the stairs stretching. "My, my, you guy's seem excited about something; mind if I join you?" She appears half awake, rubbing her eyes and such, but still smiles pleasantly towards the group. Her face brightens up even more as she takes notice of Whitsell's and Gustov's successful recovery over night, the wounds having healed nicely.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by tooleychris »

Not knowing who the lady is but glad to finally have female interest Flynn scoops up a stool for her and stands behind it politely.
"Please " he motions. "Sit here. Im Flynn,"
*pause for affect *
"Flynn Ryder. And am at thy call."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Grognardsw »

"Good morning, fair lady," says Deceidon. "You must be the healer I've heard about. I too have taken some injury which your skills may be able to help..."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by tooleychris »

"pleasing to the eyes and a healers touch? Come now, Deceidon. What is this flower named? "

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rukellian »

In response to Deceidon's question, the healer nods and says "but of course I can help with that. I must say though, Whitsell, you have quite the adventuring group here." As she goes about treating Deceidon, replacing bandages and such, applying medicines, she shoots a smile towards Flynn and introduces herself as Amberlyn. "A pleasure to meet you both, I'm sure! I will be accompanying you guys, providing first aid and such when I can."

After a moment of thought, she then suddenly blushes and quickly stammers afterwards, "but don't get the wrong idea now, it certainly won't be like that!" She keeps her head down as she continues her work, hoping to hide the redness in her face.

Because the first aid was applied long after the wound was inflicted, and given that Deceidon will not be going back to sleep any time soon, the treatment will only yield one hit point.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell rolls his eyes. Flynn, this flower as you have accurately described her, is named Amberlyn. .... Amberlyn, Flynn is with us as well. and thank you for the salve you made, the pain is much better tolerated this morning, despite the lack of sleep on my part, I am afraid. He yawns.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by tooleychris »

"Apologies. " Flynn bows before taking his seat.
"No flower at all, but a precious jewel is the lady, Amberlyn."
He rejoins the conversation but continues looking at her.
"We were discussing the path we should take, the lesser of two evils it seems. But how to proceed?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon thanks Amberlyn for her ministrations. As to next course of action, he says: "Let's spend all this gold and bring an army to the mountain. Drive in, create distraction to foil potential trap, as we sneak apart to achieve true purpose."

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”