[Game #1] Hempel's and Stanilus' Thread

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Hempel and Stanilus' Current Thread

#101 Post by Landifarne »

Ok, Pulp, you're really going out of order here as you already attacked this round! I'm going to scrap your hit roll, but keep the disease roll. Thus, you'll still get to attack next round...

Pyro, you don't have to use the dice roller if you either don't have access or prefer to roll by hand. I suggest that you simply ask someone to give you a number between 1-20...assuming that they don't know what the heck you're up to. Same with the d100 roll. Pyro, please roll an attack and an associated damage (assuming that it hits). Then, state your actions for next round and roll for initiative.

And...Happy Thanksgiving to the both of you!

DM'S CLARIFICATION: Hemp already attacked (after the rats bit Stanilus) and I'm waiting on Pyro to attack, to finish round 3.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Pulpatoon »

Whoops! Sorry, I'll put the dice down, now.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by PyroArrow »

Stanilus Disease check:
PbP Forum code: [1d100] = 85

Round 3?
To Hit:
PbP Forum code: [1d20] = 17

Dagger (To Damage):
PbP Forum code: [1d4] = 4

Had access to an iPhone this time!

Stanilus will concentrate on the rat swarm attacking him, unless Giant Rat moves to attack him!
Last edited by PyroArrow on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#104 Post by Landifarne »

With his dagger swinging, Stanilus manages to stab the giant rat in the neck and puts an end to the creature's plagued existence once and for all! Thrashing, the thing falls to the floor twitching.

All right, I'll roll for initiative for both parties to save a post:

Stanilus and Hempel's Initiative: [1d10] = 2
Rat Swarm Initiative: [1d10] = 4

With their leader slain the rat swarm is momentarily confused and hesitant, allowing the new companions to attack.

OK, you guys won initiative and can attack the rat swarm first. Roll attack and damage rolls...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Pulpatoon »

[1d20] = 20

Is that a critical hit? Does that mean maximum damage? If not, my roll is[1d4] = 1

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#106 Post by Landifarne »

Wading into the swarm surrounding Stanilus, Hempel swipes at a few rats and flings a couple of their bodies left and right. Stanilus kicks a few more, but mainly shrugs the things off. Scattering, the rat swarm disperses to the four corners of the room and escape the burglars. Disgusted, the two men take stock of the situation and briefly tend to their wounds.

Stanilus is not seriously injured, but Hempel's wound is problematic and gets wrapped several times with some cloth. Shaking his head, the thief finds it hard to believe that such a small beast could have such dangerous teeth.

Watching the rats flee under the bed and behind the sideboard, the burglars briefly discuss how it appears that the dimensions of the room do not match those of the outer parlour.

Tending their wounds, each character gets 1 HP back (after any fight where they received wounds). Hempel is therefore down 2 HP while Stanilus is back to normal.

I don't use critical his or misses/fumbling.

ACCUMULATED EXP: 1 giant rat x (5 EXP/giant rat) + 1 rat swarm x (5 EXP/rat swarm) = 10 EXP

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Pulpatoon »

Hempel checks his bandage and grimaces. "Nasty vermin. No doubt they nest in the very tunnel we're looking for. I hope they've fled far, however. I don't care to play the unpaid rat-catcher for Sanblic."

"Let's move quickly, now. I'd like to get in and out and get my leg seen to properly."

Hempel examines the wall, looking for a tunnel entrance and half expecting everything he sees to turn into a lunging rat.

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#108 Post by Landifarne »

The wall laying behind the sideboard, bed and nightstand is bare other than having a few random patches where falling plaster has exposed some of the building's rough masonry. The nightstand is easily moved, and the two burglars do that, but the sideboard seems stuck against the wall- as if something is holding it in place. Indeed, the sideboard is flush to the wall, but Hempel notes that it is has a large hole gnawed through near its bottom- that the remaining rats scurry through and which leads to some dark space behind it. The wall is simply absent there. Unfortunately, the rat hole is not big enough for either man to squeeze through.

Looking below the bed, amongst the rats' filthy nest, Stanilus finds a plain silver ring and two tiny garnets that look like they broke off of some piece of jewelry. Although very small, and barely caught the light of the hooded lamp when the figter asked to use it, they are certainly worth something.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Pulpatoon »

Hempel says, "I confess I'm not feeling strongly motivated to continue with the night's excursion. My leg hurts and I'd be just as happy to see if we could sell that ring and those chips for enough food to get us to the next town, and leave the local thuggery to work things out among themselves. But, if we are to continue, I suggest I cover this section of wall with my cloak while you use that dagger's pommel to break the plaster around the rat hole. My cloak may muffle the sound enough to keep from raising alarm."

Hempel removes his cloak, and covers the section of wall next to the sideboard, where the rat hole is, and mimes hammering at the wall through the cloak.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by PyroArrow »

"Well now, that was a bit freaky. Now watch we either die of disease or become WereRats.

Stanilus proceeds to do what Hemple suggested, after first giving it a look over, to see if it saves them the trouble of needing to hammer.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#111 Post by Landifarne »

Setting to the wall, the pair cover their efforts with the moldering blankets and sheets- to muffle as much sound and light that they can.

It becomes obvious, after only a few moments, that the sideboard is covering an opening in the wall. And, after a few minutes searching for the release, the two carefully drag the heavy wooden piece away from the wall.

Glancing at each other, and at the 3' x 3' opening that has been revealed, the burglars debate what to do. Behind the false wall is a dusty, narrow set of stairs that leads down into darkness. A few rats scatter in every direction, exposed by the light of the humans' lamp.

Map Spoiler:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dagger in one hand, lamp in the other, Hempel says, "I'll go first, and keep my eyes open for any nasty surprises."

Hempel peers into the darkness with some distaste. " I suppose there's nothing for it but to put one step before another."

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by Landifarne »

Walking down the narrow stairs, the stalwarts descend into gloom while they kick a few rats away from their feet.

It is cold and slightly damp in the basement room, cased in fieldstone but with a dry flagstone floor. THe room is essentially bare, with only a small table sitting in one corner and a lamp resting on its surface. Inspecting the lamp, it is dry, with no source of oil anywhere nearby. There are rat droppings in the room.

Roughly half the size of the parlour above, the room has a closed, solid door set into the northern wall, opposite the stairs. The door is solid oak, reinforced with bands of iron. There is a piece of rusting wire sticking out of the door's locking mechanism...

Map Spoiler:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Pulpatoon »

Hempel first inspects the table and lamp (you never know when someone will have left a key), and then inspects the lock and protruding wire. He proceeds with caution, and takes his time, first examining everything visually, and then using moving in with dagger, picks, or needles, as seems appropriate.

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#115 Post by Landifarne »

Dreading a repeat of his failure upstairs, Hempel approaches the closed door cautiously and looks at it from all angles. Losing patience, and acting just before Hempel extracts the wire that poking out of the lock, Stanilus reaches down and pulls the portal's handle. The door creaks open...

"Sometimes someone has picked a lock for you," the fighter tells Hempel, giving the thief a wink.

Pulp, we'll have to wait for Pyro to continue.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Pulpatoon »

Hempel screws his floppy hat lower on his head to cover his blush.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by PyroArrow »

Stanilus will slowly open door & peek in with the lamp.

Player:

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by Landifarne »

The oaken door creaks ominously in the dark, and it is good that the men are underground, the noise piercing the air. Using the lamp, Stanilus shines its light down a narrow tunnel, some four feet wide and seven feet tall.

Made of fitted and mortared fieldstone, the walls of the tunnel are rough but stable. The corridor runs straight as an arrow, heading directly north- towards the manor house. So far, the handler's information has held up.

The lamplight extends sixty feet or so, but beyind that Stanilus cannot make out anything. Along the floor is dust, rat droppings and small chips of mortar that has fallen due to normal wear/aging. Nothing else seems remarkable about the tunnel.

Map Spoiler:

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by PyroArrow »

Stanilus waves Hemple to come along & says:

Let's proceed down the corridor.

Player:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Pulpatoon »

Hempel takes the lamp and the lead, eyes and ears straining for anything amiss.

Return to “Wardens of the North Campaign [1E Homebrew]”