Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 20. Recovering at the Sleeping Dragon

#61 Post by Stonjuz »

armor 65 [1d100] = 37 8-)
holdportal 65 [1d100] = 67 :cry:
sleep 65 [1d100] = 3 8-)
identify65 [1d100] = 56 8-)

Shannigans closes the books and rubs his eyes. "That's enough for this day." He gives Garth's book back to Epsilon."It must have some value. Maybe we can use it for leverage in our negotiations. Shame to let it just sit around."

I assume these rolls were to copy in a form that the halfling can understand. Should I roll for them again to attempt to learn? at level 2?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by wolfpack »

Do not worry my diminutive companion, I will take care of it.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom speaks to the whole group, I would investigate the forge and see if the blacksmith survived to repair all our gear but, I will not go if you all decide to return to the lair now.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by wolfpack »

The longer we take to return to the lair the more likely they are to vacate and relocate.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Zhym »

"I'm more concerned about the trog stench," says Kendrick. "Shouldn't we figure out a decent way to combat it before we set out?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Kendrick my good man - that is excellent thinking ahead on your part! Why I hear tell that we've been hit TWICE with that fell odor and it's effects! I can tell you a wine soaked rag does not work - and only wastes a good cup 'o wine! Would rather be sick from the stink with a skin 'o wine than sick from the stink and thirsty! hah! I think some of the lads stuffed some stuff up their noses and that seemed to help them a wee bit -- if you have a keen suggestion otherwise, well, I think that won't smell so fishy!"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by ravenn4544 »

Agree heading back to the trogs to clean 'em out. What about them spiders tho? The idea of oil and fire sounds like a nice idea if we can pull it off. Suggest trying to rein in our hardier folk to keep an effective battle line as we inch our way forward.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

"Clogging up our noses sounds like a good idea," responds Kendrick. "The wine-soaked rags also sounds like a good start, but I'd go for something stronger, like a high-proof whiskey. The worst rotgut we can find. Or maybe even some cleaning solution. Or vinegar."

"Do you have any really bad whiskey," he asks Ferrell, "the kind of stuff you'd rather use to clean the bar than serve to customers? Or maybe some strong vinegar?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt shrugs,"Some of us had good luck with wax plugs and wine soaked rags over the mouth and nose. I believe a combination of both might be a little more effective. To that end, we should see if the inn keeper can let us borrow some rags or towels and maybe a candle or two for making wax plugs. But we we not able to come up with anything that might be more effective. Unless you know of some other solution, we should go with wax and wine and be on our way."

OOC: for the record, soaking a rag in ammonia and holding it up to your nose would be a terrible (i.e. dangerous) idea (I think that was suggested earlier). Don't know if vinegar or whiskey would effectively be any different than wine... Vinegar might be dangerous, as well, if done for too long. There was a bonus offered for using a wine-soaked rag and one for using wax plugs, as well, and it was combined if one did both.

Gwillt turns to Strom and adds, "We can check on Ms. Smyth upon our return."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by Stonjuz »

"The stench doesnt appear to be something that we can grow immune to either. I've been thrown down more than once now. Yes, vinegar may do it.
Now, two ranks of hearty folk with healers mixed in the second and third . Can never say who will stand the smell, ever. Flushing them intp a trap cant be trusted. What if our bait , me probably, falls again...then what? I'd be stuck in there."

He thinks long and hard, then adds,"If we get there soon enough, they may come out on their own."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zhym »

"It's a shame this town doesn't have a bordello," suggests Kendrick. "They'd have some powerful perfumes we could use!"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by wolfpack »

As I said Toth has blessed me with new magic, it will allow me to place up to three of the creatures in a frozen state unable to move.

For the spiders, well i have something for them as well.

Of course my original idea of building a large fire, covering the entrace and fanning the smoke into the tunnel to sufficate them stands.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Smokin' 'em out might be a good idea - what could it hurt? It was pretty sparse if I remember around the hole - is their enough wood for burnin' and smokin' ya think?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by wolfpack »

we should be able to haul some dry wood, each of us packing a sack full. The dry wood will get a fire started, and then use green wood, green leaves, grass and it will make lots of smoke.

take some blankets to fan the smoke into the cave.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by onlyme »

ravenn4544 wrote:"Smokin' 'em out might be a good idea - what could it hurt? It was pretty sparse if I remember around the hole - is their enough wood for burnin' and smokin' ya think?"

Ewell dispises cowardly acts, but smoking out evil trogs in order to make them fight... well, that sounds perfectly splendid. He answers...Spect there is enough trog oil left in that tunnel I... uh... we cleared to blow up the whole kingdom... But, sure, may a few pieces of kindling wouldn't hurt either.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rukellian »

Any plan that forces the swamp beasts out of their lair and into more open ground will be beneficial to us. Cramped quarters fighting with limited lighting really took a toll last time around. I'm all for smoking them out to change the battlefield!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom thinks about this idea for a moment. Did anyone notice the flow of air as we entered the tunnels? Was it pushing out or pulling in? Unless there is a flow inward I doubt that our efforts in fanning the smoke inside will do much aside from exhaust us and leave us short of clean air.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by dmw71 »

Shannigans closes Garth's spell book and rubs his eyes. "That's enough for this day." He returns to book back to Epsilon. "It must have some value. Maybe we can use it for leverage in our negotiations?" says the halfling. "Shame to let it just sit around." he continues, to which Epsilon quickly replies: "Do not worry my diminutive companion, I will take care of it."

Shannigans was able to successfully add 'Armor', 'Sleep' and 'Identify' to his spellbook and they are now available to him to memorize for his daily spells.

---

"What may lie east of here?" Fimmion asks Ferrell. "Our scout --" he indicates Gwillt with a nod, "-- found a set of swamp beast tracks leading in that direction and I can't help but wonder if there are any small towns or points of interest to check out." Ferrell turns herself around trying to get her bearings in order to determine which direction is east from their current position. After settling on what she's convinced is east, she replies: "I've left O'Hare here twice in entire life, both times when I was a child, so I can't say for sure what you'll find." she says. "I do know that we get a fair share of our guests from that direction, so maybe there is 'nother town that way?" she adds.

---

"The longer we take to return to the lair, the more likely they are to vacate and relocate." Epsilon offers when Gwillt and Strom begin making plans to investigate the remains of the blacksmith. Gwillt turns to Strom and adds, "We can check on Ms. Smyth upon our return." when the rest of the group agrees that returning to the lair should take precedence.

While alternative methods are mentioned as possible anti-stank solutions, the group settles on the wax nose plugs and wine-soaked rages (unless the 'Febreeze 15' radius spell or some other brilliant idea becomes immediately available, the maximum saving throw bonus I'm planning on allowing is +5, following the rules set forth here).

"We should be able to haul some dry wood and blankets with us. We'll set the wood afire, then use leaves and grass to generate a lot of smoke which we can fan into the cave with the blankets." offers Epsilon, still convinced his idea of smoking the creatures out is sound. Strom considers the cleric's idea for a moment. "Did anyone notice the flow of air as we entered the tunnels? Was it pushing out or pulling in? Unless there is a flow inward I doubt that our efforts in fanning the smoke inside will do much aside from exhaust us and leave us short of clean air."

---

Okay, this should be a good stopping point for the moment (besides, my train is arriving so I'm out of time). ;)

I expect to have a busy day at work today, but should be able to update again later this afternoon to set the group off. Obviously, feel free to use this time for discussions or to continue making any last minute plans.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

"I agree with Strom. While I'm not fully opposed to the idea, we'll need more than some wood and a blanket or two to smoke them out. For starters, lighting the fire anywhere above ground simply won't work. If you recall, we had to go down a slope to enter the trog lair. Getting smoke to go down into the entrance from a fire we've lit outside is going to be close to impossible, even if we fan it with 10 blankets."

As they make their way back to the trog lair, he continues the discussion...

"Even though I was unable to find anything above ground, I still suspect they have a second exit to their lair. It is instinctual and I'd find it highly unlikely they build a nest that will also serve as a death trap should something happen to the main entrance. So if we CAN get smoke down in the tunnels, they could escape through secondary tunnels and then, in turn, surround US above ground..."

Gwillt becomes silent as he ponders what he knows of the lair layout and its inhabitants thus far.

OOC: from the way it looked in the drawing, the spider section appeared to be more "rough", maybe cave-like? I looked back and didn't see any kind of description of what it looked like (but maybe I just missed it). Did Gwillt notice if it was very different from the rest of the trog lair?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by wolfpack »

I say we gather materials and head back towards the lair. We may need gwilt to scout ahead as we get closer. If the raiding party has returned they could be setitng an ambush.

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”