17. Right Branch of Troglodyte Lair

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

17. Right Branch of Troglodyte Lair

#1 Post by dmw71 »

PM sent to Stonjuz for Shannigans. Feel free to respond to that PM in this thread.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 17. Right Branch of Trog. Lair (Alethan and Stonjuz only

#2 Post by Stonjuz »

Shannigans can immediately see that there are two side branches to the right, but it does appear that this right branch will bend back and connect further north. and will let Gwilt know as soon as possible.
Last edited by dmw71 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed DM note from PM.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

"Can you lead me through the loop, Shanny? My eyes can't pierce this blackness. But I'm afraid our barbarian friend might need some help."

He moves to follow the halfling (assuming he agrees).

"Oh... if your heat vision picks up anything aggressive and alive along the way, do let me know."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Stonjuz »

"You know I can, but you also know what happens if we run into something......I'll be runnin'.....back. Let's go to the right here.....slow now....."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Stonjuz wrote:Let's go to the right here.....slow now....."
Referring to the map I sent you via PM, I'll need to know how/where you're heading. Where you'd like to end up at the end of the round.

Don't post the map, but since I obviously have it as well, you can mention "landmarks" and I'll know what you're talking about (e.g. "past 1", "up to the top", etc...)
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt extends the fingers of his left hand along the wall to lightly touch it and keep his bearings. He offers a quick apology to Shanny as he lightly rests his scimitar-wielding hand on the head of his diminutive friend.

"Lead on. Quickly, now, so we can help Grim."
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Stonjuz »

Ready to scout and map to the east at the most direct path, the hobbit turns, then stops, looks back at the man and says, "Oh, you mean the halfhuman orc? He's not down THIS way, he would be further to the north, I saw him when i was tossing oils and if this passage roundsabouts and joins right, about, over, there,..., then we would just be as well to proceed more like this"
He points to a more north northeast diagonal direction and heads to (2)
"Blades up to the right though.....havent explorered ova there."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Surprised

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Shannigans begins to lead the essentially blind Gwillt down the right branch of the 'Y' intersection. At first, the hobbit was leading the ranger to the first, rightmost passage, but changes direction at the reminder that the pair is set out to assist their half orc companion further north.

Both the human and halfling are completely surprised as they are assaulted by unknown, silent assailants; extremely fast creatures that seemingly pounced upon the pair from above and behind.

Shannigans feels a large creature atop him, and while the attack is coming from behind him, he hears a loud snap as a pair of mandibles violently clasp shut just above the small humanoids head.

Gwillt is not so lucky. He is completely taken to the ground and pinned by a pair of thin, hard, hairy legs. The creature atop the larger human target has no problem finding its mark with sharp, powerful mandibles (-5).

---

I will need a 1d20 roll from Gwillt. I will also need initiative and actions for round 1. Any attack made by Gwillt, in the darkness, will suffer a -2 penalty.

Sorry, guys. :(
Really.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

What about Epsilon's indication that he followed us with a torch? And these things don't give off any heat signature in the dark at all? i would fully 100% never expect the party to be able to surprise enemies in the dark if the enemies had heat vision, because they would always see heat signatures. i was assuming Shannigans would see heat signatures of anything present and avoid similar surprise on our side. i guess it isn't totally foolproof, but...

"Dammit! There's more!" Gwillt shouts, as he jabs straight up into the air at the creature on top of him. He almost can't miss...

Requested d20 Roll [1d20] = 3

Initiative [1d10] = 2

To Hit, Scimitar [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23 -2= 21 modified To Hit

Damage, Scimitar [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Stonjuz »

"No, these arent lizards. These are.....SPIDERS. I swear ranger, if we get outta this'......We gotta retreat."
dagger [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3 [1d20-1] = 11-1 = 10 dmg [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4 [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4
After swinging at the giant spider atop him, Shannigans cries out to the south as loud as he can for help.
Silently , to himself, Shanny thinks, 'I should have tried to be a paladin'
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Oh. That explains it... :(

I think I just failed a saving throw vs poison, Ston. Not sure how much time Gwillt has until he is (hopefully just) paralyzed... But yeah, we're getting out of here first chance. If that is still possible.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:What about Epsilon's indication that he followed us with a torch?
I updated this thread first and didn't notice that declared action, but given that Epsilon needs to retrieve a torch (I don't even see he has one) and light it before heading in your direction, the attacks would have already happened. He will arrive just after-the-fact, though, and potentially draw attacks away from you, or at least be able to call for help.
Alethan wrote:And these things don't give off any heat signature in the dark at all? i would fully 100% never expect the party to be able to surprise enemies in the dark if the enemies had heat vision, because they would always see heat signatures. i was assuming Shannigans would see heat signatures of anything present and avoid similar surprise on our side. i guess it isn't totally foolproof, but...
Now that it doesn't really matter, I'll share with you the map I shared with Shannigans (only mine shows where the monsters are/were hidden and the one I shared didn't). The creatures were hidden around bends. It wasn't a strategic positioning and more just a matter of geography. The things are supposed to surprise on 1-6 and, seeing as how Shannigans started to head in their directions (and also in part because I really didn't want it to happen, I reduced it to 1-3. The roll was made with my "private" character, so I won't link it, but here is the result:

Gwillt and Shannigans surprised? (1-3): [1d10] = 2

Code: Select all

|     |        
        |     |      
        |     |______ 
        |                  \
        |                   \
        |       _____****    \     /
        |  *c2 |      ** \    \___/
        |  *Gr |         |    
        /      /  * oil  |   2 --> 
       /      /         /      ____
      |      |         |      /
      |      |         |     /
      |      |        /     /__
       \Fi    \      /         \_____
        \*Ka   \     |     1 -->  
         \*St(3)\   /     __     
          \   (1)\ / Sh  /  \       ___s3
           \      v *Gw /    s1    /     \  
            \(2)       /      \s2_/       4s
             \        /
              \      /
               | *Ep|
               |    |   
               |    |
               |    |  
And, yes, there are four of these things in total, but only two of them acted.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:Now that it doesn't really matter, I'll share with you the map I shared with Shannigans (only mine shows where the monsters are/were hidden and the one I shared didn't). The creatures were hidden around bends. It wasn't a strategic positioning and more just a matter of geography. The things are supposed to surprise on 1-6 and, seeing as how Shannigans started to head in their directions...
I don't believe Shanny was ever headed in that direction, was he?
Stonjuz wrote:Shannigans can immediately see that there are two side branches to the right, but it does appear that this right branch will bend back and connect further north. and will let Gwilt know as soon as possible.
I think when he says, "it does appear that this right branch will bend back and connect further north," that he is referring to the branch we headed down initially (i.e. the first "Y" we come to when we enter the lair), not path #1.
Stonjuz wrote:Ready to scout and map to the east at the most direct path, the hobbit turns, then stops, looks back at the man and says, "Oh, you mean the halfhuman orc? He's not down THIS way, he would be further to the north, I saw him when i was tossing oils and if this passage roundsabouts and joins right, about, over, there,..., then we would just be as well to proceed more like this"
He points to a more north northeast diagonal direction and heads to (2)
But then I'm not really sure why he mentions scouting and mapping to the east here... Without a map in front of me, I'd just assumed he had indicated the wrong direction and meant west.

:(

In any case, it is what it is...
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by wolfpack »

Looking down the tunnel and seeing what is happening Epslon grabs the last flask of oil and prepares to light the rag stuffed in it.

Maybe the resulting fire will scare them off
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:I don't believe Shanny was ever headed in that direction, was he?
I thought so, based upon this:
Stonjuz wrote:Ready to scout and map to the east at the most direct path, the hobbit turns, then stops, looks back at the man and says, "Oh, you mean the halfhuman orc? He's not down THIS way...
Alethan wrote:In any case, it is what it is...
:(
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 1

#16 Post by dmw71 »

"Dammit! There's more!" Gwillt shouts, as he jabs straight up into the air at the creature on top of him, his scimitar slicing through the creature pinning him. The solid blow causes the creatures eight legs to curl inwards as the lifeless arachnid collapses on top of him. (Note: It doesn't alter this attack, but remember that Gwillt suffers a -2 attack penalty for fighting in the dark.)

Shannigans quickly corrects Gwillt to properly set expectations: "No, these aren't lizards. These are... spiders!" The halfling desperately launches at the spider attacking him but is unable to connect. He lets out a terrified cry for help at the top of his lungs.

Looking to end the scream, the giant spider pinches its mandibles shut on the Shannigans and catches the little halfling on his shoulder (-4).

---

From further south of the entrance, Epsilon witnesses what is happening. He grabs his last flask of oil, stuffs a rag in it and prepares to ignite it.

---

This time I will need a 1d20 roll from Shannigans.

Feel free declare your round 2 actions. Epsilon, I will need to know what you plan to do with the oil. Light it and hope it scares them away from your current position? Do you move closer? Do you throw it? Depending upon what Epsilon does with the potential light source, Gwillt will continue to suffer a -2 attack penalty if he is still fighting in the darkness.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Round 1

#17 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Looking to end the scream, the giant spider pinches its mandibles shut on the Shannigans and catches the little halfling on his shoulder (-4)
The "+4" to their attack roll was only for their surprise round, not this round. I mistakenly forgot to update the macro when I made the round 1 roll, but it doesn't change the outcome. Almost, but not quite. They have a 19 THAC0 and Shannigans has a 5 AC (19-5 = 14).

I hope to remember updating this for future rounds, but do help keep an eye on their attacks... just in case.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Initiative [1d10] = 1

"Shanny, look out!" Gwillt chatters through gritted teeth as he swings at what is hopefully above the halfling's head...

To Hit, Scimitar [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18

(Or just 16, depending...)

Damage, Scimitar [1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5

OOC: I say light it up and make sure the others stay away, then, as the goose says, let's get the flock out of here! :)
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by wolfpack »

ok so before I decide on an action I want to be sure i have the situation right.

I enision epsilon was running down the tunnel until the edge of his light revealed two spiders one on top of each gwilt and shany thats how he knew what was there, thats when he came to a stop and stuffed his flask.

So I would think gwilt was in the edge of the light source.

I dont want to throw the oil directly on top of gwilt and shany, I dont want to htrow it in front of them becuse then they would be trapped by the wall of flames.

So I think the best course is to throw it just past them. That should keep anything else back there at bay and hopefully scare the ones attacking them to scurry up to the ceiling or something.

regardless epsilon isn't advancing any further and is prepared to turn tail and run after his toss.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

wolfpack wrote:ok so before I decide on an action I want to be sure i have the situation right.
The below is correct. So, Gwillt is in the light and does not suffer an attack penalty.
wolfpack wrote:So I think the best course is to throw it just past them. That should keep anything else back there at bay and hopefully scare the ones attacking them to scurry up to the ceiling or something.
Given the above, is this what you're going to do? If so, I will need an attack roll.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”