OOC Discussion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC Discussion

#1 Post by Zhym »

You can use this thread for out of character discussions. I'll suggest an opening topic: what character classes everyone is planning to roll. You'll want the party to be well-balanced.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Discussion

#2 Post by Computer +1 »

I am going with a Dwarven thief.

Eulalios

#4 Post by Eulalios »

Looking at running a Wizard. Tell me about starting spells list ?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by NJWilliam »

50,000 xp could be a 5th level bard with fighter 5 and thief 5!
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

Good question. I'm open to suggestions. How's this sound?

Start with character level - 1 + (max spell level - spell level + 1)d3 spells at each level (i.e., a 6th level MU would start out with 8-14 1st level spells, 7-11 2nd level spells, and 6-8 3rd level spells). You pick three spells at each level. The rest will be chosen randomly by rolling to choose a spell, then rolling to see whether you can learn it, until you've learned the number of spells indicated by the roll for that spell level (or the maximum you can learn).

You can roll the random spells first or after you've chosen your spells; the effect is the same (with a small chance of needing a re-roll).

You'll still need to roll to make sure you can learn the spells you've chosen, but at +10% for the first (you're so interested in that spell, you study harder), +5% for the second, and no bonus for the third. If you can't learn it, pick a different spell.

Read magic is automatic at 1st level, of course.

I can roll for your spells or you can. If you roll, roll on the PHB, UA, or OSRIC spell tables as you choose; just declare which one. Use a US roller "die" with as many sides as there are spells. For example, to roll for 1st level spells out of the PHB, roll a d30 (and re-roll if you get a 6, which is detect magic).

If you want me to roll for your spells, just tell me which spells you choose at each level and I'll roll for the rest. Or I can do some rolling and you can do the other (e.g., I'll roll the # of spells per level, you roll for the spells). Whichever.

Sound fair?
Last edited by Zhym on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated spell formula because the other one seemed too parsimonious.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by NJWilliam »

Elven cleric/magic-user, here, if possible.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Cleric/Magic-user is fine, but the party will probably want to include a single-classed cleric if possible. The module will feature lots of undead, and every level counts. :)

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by NJWilliam »

Zhym wrote:Cleric/Magic-user is fine, but the party will probably want to include a single-classed cleric if possible. The module will feature lots of undead, and every level counts. :)
I'll work up a single class cleric then.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Eulalios

#11 Post by Eulalios »

I like your spell list formula, but rl is getting real... Whenever everyone elder is ready to go, will be the time to check whether I've had time to finish building this character!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Understood. If you want me to roll your spells to save time, just let me know.

Bouv
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Bouv »

Looks like the character sheet is mostly ready, just a few minor odds & ends. I wrote up a background today but left it at work. :roll:

*EDIT*

So the filter at work is letting me post again so here's my background!

Both of “Robert’s” parents were adventurers in the Order of the Silver Dagger, a small group that primarily helped out small communities against humanoid threats for little financial gain (usually what they could plunder from the humanoids). They occasionally took on higher risks but not often. Roberts’s parents didn’t know each other before they formed the group, slowly grew to appreciate each other and fall in love. Robert’s mother, the elf maiden Ellethwen was a magic-user and always tried to use her gifts for the benefit of others. Robert’s father was Robert Ashlion, a ranger who took up defending the weak. However, their love was not to last.

During the Silver Dagger’s last outing, they tried to defend a small village from a savage green dragon. Though successful in taking down the dragon at the village (though not without great loss to the village) the party felt it best to also clear out its lair to prevent the local humanoid tribes from getting all that wealth and magical items. The party was gathering up the items when the dragon’s new mate arrived, just discovering the body of her mate in the village. She had finished destroying the village and proceeded to attack the party. Already weakened, the party put up the best defense they could. In the end, the party was successful, though not without great loss. Out of six party members, only Ellethwen and a thief, Reginald, remained. Robert had sacrificed his life when he noticed the dragon was going to breathe its noxious gas upon Ellethwen and pushed her out of the way. The two gathered up what they could in items and wealth, and brought back their comrades to the village, only to discover it too was destroyed. Burying their dead and the dead of the village, the two parted ways.

Little did Ellentwen realize that she was pregnant at the time. She returned to her home and eventually gave birth to her son, whom she named Calminaion. However, being a “half-breed” made young life difficult. Add to that a distance that his mother had developed due to the tragic events of her adventuring life, young Calminaion spent a lot of time in solitude, discovering happiness in the forest and what it had to offer. As he grew older, Calminaion discovered that the taunting from his youth, while not as direct as it used to be, was still there in the glares he got and how he was treated. Finally having enough, Calminaion asked his mother why and she related the story of the Order of the Silver Dagger and their final confrontation. She told him she couldn’t bear to look at the treasure she had taken from the dragons so most of it was given away to help others, though some of it she kept.

Knowing the truth now, Calminaion realized that while he was half-elf and raised by elves, to them he would always be seen as “human.” So he told his mother he was going to adopt his father’s name and become a druid, knowing that when others seem to reject him in his youth, the forest and nature was always there for him. They protected and looked after him and now it was his turn to return the favor.

It didn’t take long after becoming a druid that Robert, as Calmiaion was now calling himself, joined up with his own band of adventurers and has been adventuring since.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by NJWilliam »

If a character has the stats for a 10% experience bonus, do they start with 55,000 xp?
Only asking because 55,001 is enough for 7th level for a cleric, and we're told every level will count for clerics!
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Sure.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by NJWilliam »

Iluq will then search for a kobold and/or rat and bash it for the experience point needed for level 7!
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

I should have looked more closely before, but Iluq doesn't get the xp bonus. A cleric needs a wisdom of "greater than 15" to get the bonus. That means 16 or over. Sorry.

No, I have no idea why E.G.G. didn't just say "16 or over."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by NJWilliam »

Zhym wrote:I should have looked more closely before, but Iluq doesn't get the xp bonus. A cleric needs a wisdom of "greater than 15" to get the bonus. That means 16 or over. Sorry.

No, I have no idea why E.G.G. didn't just say "16 or over."

Doh! Oh well.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

Depending on whether Eulalios is able to roll a character, we're at 4 or 5 players right now, which is about half a normal party size. So if anyone wants to roll a second character, go ahead.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Actually, we should be at 6 characters with Stirling joining. So rather than rolling up second characters, if we don't get any more players I'll bump the XP for each character, raising everyone's levels and giving people the opportunity to multiclass.

Return to “Ravenloft”