Character Creation Thread

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation Thread

#1 Post by Zhym »

Post your character sheets here. You can link to the US character sheets or use text in a post; your choice.

Character Creation Rules

Campaign ID: 135

Ability Scores
4d6, drop the lowest, arrange as you like. Please use the Unseen Servant dice roller with a macro (not "roll stats"). If your scores don't fit the class you want to play, pm me and we'll work something out.

Character Classes
Anything from the 1e PHB except assassins. No UA classes unless you have a good story for them. UA classes, if approved, may have additional restrictions imposed beyond those in the book.

Character Races
All races are available, including UA sub-races. UA races may be heavily nerfed. For example, Drow do not get their spell abilities. Level and class restrictions will be enforced as per UA. If for some reason you want a class/race combination not available in UA, pm me and explain why. If it's a good story, I'll probably allow it.

Starting Experience and HP
All characters start with 70,002 XP. Full HP for the 1st level, roll for the rest.

Alignment
Non-evil.

Starting Equipment
You can start with any standard non-magical items from the PHB or UA shopping lists. This includes weapons and armor. Full plate is not available. Update: You may have a mount or pack animal, but keep in mind that most animals are prone to bolt when scared and can't enter buildings or, in some cases, dungeons.

Update: Please calculate encumbrance using the tables on PHB p. 37 and DMG p. 225, with OSRIC for anything not covered by those tables. List your encumbrance in the character post.

Magic Items
Your magic items have been obtained through the luck of the adventure, not shopping. I will therefore roll your magic items—possibly on DMG Appendix P, maybe from Appendix C, maybe from somewhere else. For weapons and armor, tell me the type you want (e.g., plate, chain, banded; long sword, broad sword, axe), and I'll roll to see if it's magical and what the bonuses or other special abilities are. Once the items are rolled, if you can give me a good story why the magic item should be different, revisions may be available. The better the story, the better your chance of getting the item (are you sensing a theme here?). You will also receive some miscellaneous items—potions, scrolls, etc.

Proficiencies
I won't be using non-weapon proficiencies. Weapon specialization is available for single-classed fighters only (i.e., not rangers or paladins). No double specialization.

Character backgrounds: Your characters have been adventuring together for some time. Other than the fact that the characters already know each other, write whatever backgrounds you like.

Magic-User Spells
Start with character level - 1 + (max spell level - spell level + 1)d3 spells at each level (i.e., a 6th level MU would start out with 8-14 1st level spells, 7-11 2nd level spells, and 6-8 3rd level spells). Update: Send me a pm before selecting spells. The previous formula doesn't work well at level 7. You pick three spells at each level. The rest will be chosen randomly by rolling to choose a spell, then rolling to see whether you can learn it, until you've learned the number of spells indicated by the roll for that spell level (or the maximum you can learn).

You can roll the random spells first or after you've chosen your spells; the effect is the same (with a small chance of needing a re-roll).

You'll still need to roll to make sure you can learn the spells you've chosen, but at +10% for the first (you're so interested in that spell, you study harder), +5% for the second, and no bonus for the third. If you can't learn it, pick a different spell.

Read magic is automatic at 1st level, of course.

I can roll for your spells or you can. If you roll, roll on the PHB, UA, or OSRIC spell tables as you choose; just declare which one. Use a US roller "die" with as many sides as there are spells. For example, to roll for 1st level spells out of the PHB, roll a d30 (and re-roll if you get a 6, which is detect magic).

If you want me to roll for your spells, just tell me which spells you choose at each level and I'll roll for the rest. Or I can do some rolling and you can do the other (e.g., I'll roll the # of spells per level, you roll for the spells). Whichever.

If I missed anything or you have any questions, pm me or leave them here. I'll update this post as questions come in.
Last edited by Zhym on Fri May 05, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation Thread

#2 Post by Zhym »

Robert Ashton and Vorkath Tsaridian have been moved to the approved characters thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

I moved Tumbler, Tibbius, and Iluq to the approved characters thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Starting XP boost

#4 Post by Zhym »

Because we'll be starting with six players, everyone's getting 75,000 starting XP instead of 50,000. That will move most of you to level 7. Please roll HP and adjust your saving throws accordingly.

That gives Tibbius 4th level spells. The starting spell formula that worked for 6th level seems broken at 7th, so Eulalios, add 1 spell per level for levels 1-3 and 1d3+4 level 4 spells, two of which you pick (still roll to see if the spells can be learned, of course).

Thanks.

Eulalios

Re: Starting XP boost

#5 Post by Eulalios »

Thank you for the additional spells ... :lol: 8-)

I won't even just did ask about the 10% on top of the 75k, which would put Tibbius up at 8th level with 82,500 xp.

EDIT: I randomly rolled for all of his starting spells, so now I'm just picking three handy ones. aanndd ... hah! Learned em all.
Last edited by Eulalios on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Nope. Just 75,000.

Eulalios

#7 Post by Eulalios »

very much good enough. :)

Check out Randolph Cat's ENLARGED stats.

Eulalios

#8 Post by Eulalios »

Spells learned ... { I guess "Unseen Ally" might be 4th level ? ... mechanically I'm imagining something like AC and THACO penalties affecting (caster level) nearest opponents? Again, happy to trade Fumble and other stuff for that spell, instead ... }

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Computer +1 »

xp boost

[2d6] = 11

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

While 75,000 puts a few at 8th level, alas Vorkath remains at 6th level.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

I don't think 75,000 puts anyone at 8th level. At least I hope not; I chose the number to put some but not all at 7th level but not higher.

The cost of all those nifty paladin powers is really high xp targets for leveling.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Moved Agrippa to the approved characters thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

Okay, I was just updating the character list and realized that 75,000 xp does put some characters at 8th level. That's higher than I'd prefer.

Instead of trying to find an XP level that works out for all classes, I'm just going to say that everyone starts at level 7. So Vorkath will gain a level and Tumbler and Robert will drop back to 7th. Characters that are gaining a level should have XP at the minimum for the level. Character losing a level should be at 10,000 xp below the level max.

Sorry to do this, but the module is for 6-8 characters of level 5-7, and I don't want to overpower it.

Let me know if you have any questions about how to adjust levels.

Thanks.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Cwreando »

Edited going back to the drawing board. :o)
Updated 1/28/15

Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

I moved Gragog and Agax to the approved characters thread. Lar and Scarlett still need to be updated to the new XP total (70,001).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

Drake mayflower: awaiting approval:

I rolled the spells selection as above as requested. You can PM me with the rest of the spells. The only failings he had were: cannot learn Hold Person, level 3
cannot learn Remove Curse. level 4

Return to “Ravenloft”