Assault on the Great Hall

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Assault on the Great Hall

#61 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris and Blue

Antheris stops his chase after the giant when he reaches Luna and Vorsyin, but does not call off the insect plague from its new target.
He will then smell and listen (as a smilodon) for anything else that may be approaching the great hall.
If there is no imminent threat sensed he will return to human form and cast Locate Animals.

If he has enough time, he will head over to where Nosra was seen lifting his cave bear and see if the bear armor remains and would fit Blue.

Blue will head to Antheris and stick near him.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys rushes back to attack the cleaver-wielding giant.

Giantbane (vs. true giant): [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13 Damage: [1d12x2] = 12x2 = 24+10
Giantbane (vs. true giant): [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 Damage: [1d12x2] = 8x2 = 16+10

After finishing off the giant, Gaerys will use remaining movement, if any, to rejoin the main grouping of the party.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by drpete »

Ethan Blacktyde (22/71)

Realizing that Gaerys is coming to get the cleaver giant, Ethan bounds away, and runs after the giant fleeing to the east as fast as his boots will carry him.

If he's able to catch the giant, he will attack. Otherwise, he hopes to close to melee range.

To Hit giant (ThAC0 11) [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11 damage [1d12+4] = 8+4 = 12

To Hit giant (ThAC0 11) [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23 damage [1d12+4] = 7+4 = 11

(note: if it will help him escape and run, he'll use the boots, leaping over tables and such. He wants to stop the giant from reaching the door to the wolf courtyard, whatever that takes, charges, leaps, etc.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Magnus »

Round 8

The party hears Luna scream for a split second before he is silenced by a heavy muffle. The very air seems to freeze for a few terrifying moments. Antheris and Vorisyn see the cleric being dragged -- north -- by a tentacle-shaped mass of black and purple smoke. Shuddering with knowledge that he is witnessing a wholly unnatural being, the druid cannot help but stare as Luna is jerked around the corner sharply, north toward the courtyard, and sharply left through the double doors just north of the eastern entrance to the Great Hall. The doors slam. The party knows that they had seen something bizarre and terrifying, but they also knew that its taking of the holy man had satiated whatever fearsome appetite that it had.

[Giants win initiative!]

The fleeing giant continues its flight towards the courtyard, its sprint propelled even further by its obvious fear of whatever has kidnapped Luna. It reaches the courtyard door with the insect swarm in pursuit and Ethan/Kjelti not far behind. The giant's head start and rapid rate of movement win out, as it reaches the door and slams it shut. The swarm of flies is left buzzing at the door, looking for a way to reach the giant.

As to the party's more mundane foes, the butcher giant picks up a board from one of the ever-growing fires and presses it against the treant. The giant, however, fails to calculate the effect of the party's magic into its vicious intent. The treant groans in triumph as the flames have no effect, and then it pounds the giant's fat face in. Gaerys then turns the once-threatening giant into a footnote in the party's annals as the ranger brings it down with trademark "unzipping" of its guts.

The druid sniffs and listens for approaching foes. The smilidon's sharp senses are somewhat obscured by the smell of smoke and the noise of battle. He does not notice anything other than what he already knows -- ogres battling animated trees and a fire to the N/W, wolves (and perhaps giants or ogres) in the courtyard, and the reek of hill giant throughout. He then reverts back to human form, reaches for his sacred herbs, and begins casting*... Before entering a trance, he notices out of the corner of his eye that the bear armor appears to have survived the blast, but would need minor repairs/fitting before it worked for Blue.

[*1 round casting time.]

--------
[Gang, please help me update]

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 1
Time: 21:11
Weather: 40 degrees, clear
Nearest Safe House: First of the First Men, 5.5 miles southeast

HP Status:

Luna: ??/??

Magic in Effect:

Antheris:
- Call Lightning (expires in 1.4 turns)
- Protection from Fire (cast on treant)
- Detect Animals (wolves)(takes effect next round; expires in 6 rounds)

Vorisyn
- Detect Evil (expires in 9 minutes)
- Interposing Hand

Gaerys
- Potion of Speed (expires)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Computer +1 »

How was Vorsyin's detect evil affected when the tentacle was in the room? Did he feel the same evil from under the steading?

Vorsyin feels a chill down his spine as Luna is pulled away. He looks around quickly in fear of another tentacle grabbing him. We must exit this place quickly! he says to the group. There is a greater evil beneath us that we cannot overcome at this time. I have sensed it and.. and.. it sensed us as well. His voice betrays a crack of fear.
My magic is nearly spent, we must leave and regroup to face the evil another day he implores. We can return to the room with the large fire and I can use my magic to breach the outer wall.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Magnus »

[quote="Computer +1"]How was Vorsyin's detect evil affected when the tentacle was in the room? Did he feel the same evil from under the steading?

The tentacle of course radiated strong evil like the presence that you felt earlier, but it was in and out so fast that you did not have the time to react.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Zhym »

"Exit this place quickly. There's a plan I can get behind. Or in front of."

Gaerys forms up with the rest of the party and heads to the trophy room.

In case they're needed:

Giantbane (vs. true giant): [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 Damage: [1d12x2] = 8x2 = 16+10
Giantbane (vs. true giant): [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9 Damage: [1d12x2] = 1x2 = 2+10 (Hits AC 4)

I sort of hope we meet a giant along the way. :twisted:

I assume the "(expires)" after Gaerys's speed potion means I don't know when it expires.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Magnus »

Zhym wrote: I assume the "(expires)" after Gaerys's speed potion means I don't know when it expires.[/ooc]
If you had the duration handy, that would be good to know. If not, I will look it up, later.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Zhym »

I don't think you gave me a duration. A potion of speed lasts 5d4 rounds and I used it (belatedly) in round 3. So it expires somewhere between now and 15 rounds from now. I assumed you didn't tell me the potion's duration because Gaerys wouldn't know.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Magnus »

Zhym wrote:I don't think you gave me a duration. A potion of speed lasts 5d4 rounds and I used it (belatedly) in round 3. So it expires somewhere between now and 15 rounds from now. I assumed you didn't tell me the potion's duration because Gaerys wouldn't know.
Thanks! I forgot that the duration was variable.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Once he is done casting Locate Animals, Antheris says, "Can someone grab the bear armor for Blue while I see if I can locate any nearby wolves?"

He will then focus on the party's path to the chimney (and once there in the direction they intend to have the stone shape let them go) to locate any wolves that may be before them.

"Like Vorsyin, my spells are running low. I shall soon be able to call a final strike of lightning, so if it is safe to do so, we may want to delay just a bit before exiting so that if something meets us on the outside, I can call it down immediately."

ooc: I believe in round 11 another lightning would be available until round 20.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys will swing by to get the bear armor on his way east if he can.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Magnus »

Zhym wrote:Gaerys will swing by to get the bear armor on his way east if he can.
Done. Please put on the party treasure sheet.

The armor consists of two pieces, a helmet and chain shirt. Each piece improves AC by 2 points.

Needs smithing to be repaired and fit Blue.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Magnus »

Is the party moving to(wards) the chimney this round?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Zhym »

That seems to be the consensus.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 1
Time: 21:11.9
Weather: 40 degrees, clear
Nearest Safe House: First of the First Men, 5.5 miles southeast

Magic in Effect:

Antheris:
- Call Lightning (expires in 1.1 turns)
- Protection from Fire (cast on treant)
- Detect Animals (wolves)(expires in 6 rounds)

Vorisyn
- Detect Evil (expires in 9 minutes)
- Interposing Hand

Gaerys
- Potion of Speed (expires???)

The party gathers themselves and moves with purpose past the heraldry, weapons, and heads in the Trophy call. They take position close to the stone fireplace, presumably to execute their quite brilliant (sounding) escape plan.

As the party moves, Antheris communes with nature in a search for wolves. As if on cue, vicious scratching can be heard against the courtyard door -- it is no secret that the dire wolves are simply waiting to be unleashed by an opening of the door. The shouting of 2-3 giants can also be heard over the growling.

What is the party's next move?
G1 clean.jpg
G1 clean.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Zhym »

Did the treant come with us, or do we need to ask it to come along?

I'd suggest a wall of fire across the doorway (after the treant joins us, if it does), then the stone shape. By the time the stone shape is done, called lightning should be available again.

Until Vorsyin casts wall of fire (if he does), Gaerys will stand just inside the doorway guarding the entrance, watching, if possible, the door to the north keeping the wolves at bay.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by drpete »

I suggest wall of fire from the north/wolf door south across the entrance to the trophy room, against the east wall of the hallway to turn the whole area into an oven (more or less). Have the treant start on the wall, in case this doesn't work.

Ethan flips the north table on it's side, and pushes it to barricade the entrance to the trophy hall, avoiding the area that might soon be filled with fire.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by Magnus »

Ouch. Had it in my mind it was part of the party but forgot to mark it on the map.

Treant is just south of Kjelti.

Antheris needs decent sky exposure to call lightning.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris will cast cure light wounds on Blue (ooc: I assume druidic healing will work on animals?), while waiting for the stone shape to be worked, after which he will cast warp wood if necessary to complete the tunnel to the outside.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”