15. Hunting the Troglodytes

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

15. Hunting the Troglodytes

#1 Post by dmw71 »

"The first attack came from the west," states Gwillt as he begins to lead the full group to the area past the crossroads, between the Dragon and the Goat. "Once I catch sight of the tracks again, we'll work our way south." The ranger has little difficulty relocating the trail left behind by the numerous swamp beasts and, having tracked the course previously, is able to stay on track with little effort.

Everyone remains on high alert as the group makes their way south.

After nearly an hour, the hard earth beneath your boots begins to soften. The ranger begins to slow and signals the group for silence. "There," he says quietly, pointing to a more swampy area several hundred yards further in the direction you've been traveling. "We're getting closer." he whispers.

Everyone is able to detect the increased "foot" traffic in the area after the ranger points it out.

Progress is slow for another hundred yards or so. Gwillt and Shannigans recognize the area as the spot where they were attacked by the ankle-biting lizard beasts. The pair warn the rest of the group about their encounter, and to be alert for another attack, protecting against the spit attacks.

All is quiet.

Another hundred paces deeper into the heart of the swampy mess and Gwillt halts and drops to a low crouch. He studies the area just ahead intently. With a point of his finger, the tracker indicates that he has spotted the lair just ahead.

---

The scene is set. I'll give you guys some time to discuss how you'd like to handle the situation.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 15. Hunting the Troglodytes

#2 Post by Rukellian »

Fimmion turns to face Gwilt and catches his attention. With a hushed tone, he asks him about the Troglodytes. "Before I head into that lair with you guys, I would like to know what exactly I'm going to be dealing with. Admittedly, I have yet to tangle with any swamp beasts, so anything you can provide about how they behave, anything, it would be most appreciated." Looking away for a moment he then adds, "the last thing I would want to do is get in your guys' way when battle ensues."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by onlyme »

Ewell pipes in quietly,
Well. They stink. They stink so bad they take your breath and focus away if you aint careful. That is their primary weapon. That and they are good with throwing those cowardly javelins. If they fought face to face, even a cook could take 'em.

Sorry, I didnt see the fact he asked Gwilt alone... oops
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote: Sorry, I didnt see the fact he asked Gwilt alone... oops
OOC: probably safe to assume it was a question asked of the group in general... Good answer, btw.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt quickly explains their run-ins with the trogs so far to anyone new to the group.

He continues with, "When I spotted them here before, maybe an hour or so ago, I saw at least a half dozen exit the lair. I left before noting which direction they were heading, seeing as how I was already wounded from the previous encounter with those mudkins..."

OOC: Speaking of which, any of the healers care to toss a CLW my way? Would be useful and greatly appreciated...

"...so I can't accurately say which way they headed from there, though I could probably figure it out fast enough if I can get closer to the entrance."

OOC: dmw71, any chance of getting a quick mudmap that shows our location and trog lair location and any notable geographic features?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by tooleychris »

Grim puffs. "a dozen, says you?"
He shakes his head and readies his hand axes.
"A dozen... mayhap we might get'em ta come out a couple ata time? Er maybe place a trip rope n'front da cave?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by onlyme »

Also as a "freeze time" type discussion: Would the PCs have discussed a general strategy on the trail or before embarking? ie plan to ambush off a trail, plan to destroy the liar when most are out, and then pick off patrols as they come back, etc?

Personally, Ewell would prefer a more dignified approach, of charging in there and taking the attack to them .
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tooleychris »

gwilt DID mentiona future discussion on party tactics earlier

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ravenn4544 »

O'rek nods to Gwillt... holding the emblem on his necklace he whispers a few words then grabs him by the shoulder:

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 6

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

ravenn4544 wrote:O'rek nods to Gwillt... holding the emblem on his necklace he whispers a few words then grabs him by the shoulder:

Gwillt nods his head in prayer and, when O'rek is done, says, "Thank you, brother O'rek. We will pay proper tribute to your god when this is all said and done and the town has been restored. Maybe a small shrine?"

Character sheet adjusted.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Some wine you say?... well, now is probably not the time but I wouldn't say no the next time we are back at the Inn... or a campfire if that's sooner, of course" O'rek responds with a whisper. "Glad to be of help my boy!"

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom nods his head in agreement with Ewell's comment. Indeed, their foul odor is their greatest weapon. It robbed me of the greater part of my fighting ability as I felt too sick to be effective. HE thinks for a moment IS there a way for us to block the odor or mute its effect?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Wise words in planning a plan that will thwart our enemies sneaky sneakings! Not sure what that would mean exactly but some type of trap for trappings is good! are they All in the swampy hole or are there others out and about we should ambush first?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Stonjuz »

"And they're fast. Real fast. I've always considered me-self to be fast, but twice now those nasties have been on me with barely a chance to resist." Shannigans looks around for a strategic spot, but finds nothing, same as the last time he was near this position. A chill causes him to back away alittle.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by saalaria »

I agree a plan is required as the rush in individually and get attacked piecemeal didn't work. How about someone sneak in and stir them up and the others wait in a semi-circle round the entrance and hack at them when they emerge. Half the meleers can be tasked with turning to face any that come from another exit if and when they appear.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by onlyme »

saalaria wrote:I agree a plan is required as the rush in individually and get attacked piecemeal didn't work. How about someone sneak in and stir them up and the others wait in a semi-circle round the entrance and hack at them when they emerge. Half the meleers can be tasked with turning to face any that come from another exit if and when they appear.
Ewell would never agree to sneak nor wait in ambush...Now, he could wait patiently while someone else went to negotiate with them. And if they happened to run back toward him with a flock of trogs behind them, he would gladly assist in dispatching the evil things.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:O'rek nods to Gwillt... holding the emblem on his necklace he whispers a few words then grabs him by the shoulder:

Updated.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:OOC: dmw71, any chance of getting a quick mudmap that shows our location and trog lair location and any notable geographic features?
Starting it now.

I understand it might aid in your strategizing efforts, so I'll keep it simple and try to get it completed quickly.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:OOC: dmw71, any chance of getting a quick mudmap that shows our location and trog lair location and any notable geographic features?
Starting it now.

I understand it might aid in your strategizing efforts, so I'll keep it simple and try to get it completed quickly.
Yeah, I just wanted to get a quick layout of the area before discussing plans... Thanks!

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rukellian »

"Watch out for flying pointy sticks and don't breath in too deeply, got it," Fimmion repeats to himself quietly. Looking towards the rest of the group, he awaits further instructions and possibly some battle plans.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”