ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Action Thread #10 - The Mine

#1 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Action Thread #10 - The Mine

EDIT: PMs sent

Day 6, Late Afternoon toward Evening: The Mine

The lost adventurers continue on their way south along the river through the forest.

Within a couple hours the trees thin to a sparse wood and then give way to a pleasant greensward extending to the base of a grey cliff. The cliff is not as imposing as the mountains that surround the valley with their near-uncrossable heights, and yet it does present an obstacle, running from the high mountains on the party's right to the very edge of the river. The river cuts between the cliff and another rocky hill on the river's far bank, its waters troubled by rapids. However, as the party draws closer to the cliff, all can clearly see steps leading up the cliff face to a shut stone door. Above the door, a narrow crack in the rock lets forth a plume of grey smoke. To the left of the door is a dark hole, clearly the entrance to a mine, as evidenced by the slag heap and quarried waste sloping up to it.

You are still a good long shouting distance away from the cliff. Plans and actions?

Map:

Assumed Marching Order (declare any changes):
Marching Order - Outdoors/Open Space
[OG] [SW]
[M] [OZ] [T] [ST] [A]
Hit Point Roll Call (don't forget the possibility of a little "likker cure" ;) ):
Malone Marcus 14/17

Ogirdor 16/18

Ozborn Greynight 9/9

Andrin 10/13

Stonjuz D'Eyeurnhed 11/17

Thurinor Sael 11/11

Swilbosh 9/14

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread #10 - The Mine

#2 Post by saalaria »

"Presssumably you know what this place isss?" Swilbosh whispers to Ogrdor.
He prepares to advance, waiting for the ranger's reply.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Sir Clarence »

"This is strange... Andrin steps forward and looks around. "There is an absence of life here, don't you notice it?" Turning around, Andrin looks at his comrades, but especially at the ranger. "There should be bird calls, insects flying, signs and traces of other animal life. But there is nothing. It feels like everything has left the place, or hides somewhere..."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Stonjuz »

As the group stops to take in the surroundings, Stonjuz places his staff aside momentarily and begins loosening his helmet to free the turtle, which he then carries under arm, nervously stroking its back as if it were dog or cat. Taking the staff back in one arm, he continues in formation, and says, "Yes, I feel it too. Everyone! I know some of this. More dwarven construction here. Relative safety has come from all the other prior dwarven places too. Ha !!! Except for the Dwarves !!!
Rest here for the night Turtle?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by onlyme »

Malone ponders the thought, and what has happened this day already.

Rest makes sense, at this point. We need to keep our wits about us to get out of here, and pushing on another couple hours may leave us tired and vulnerable.

He looks around for any details he has missed.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by zebediah »

The lair of what she called the dark ones? Ogirdor looks around for any signs of activity It might be risky to camp so close to potential enemies. And if we act now we may catch them off guard...

How far is a good long shouting distance? Something we can cover in less than one hour?

Another option would be to rest now and make a move in the middle of the night. In any event we should not light a fire here: we eat what we have, however we have it.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Sir Clarence »

"I agree about retreating into the forest to rest at a hopefully safe distance and regain our spells", says Andrin. "This place gives me the creeps."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by ragnboneshopper »

zebediah wrote:How far is a good long shouting distance? Something we can cover in less than one hour?

Say a quarter mile to the cliff face and about the same back to the deep forest. There is little to obstruct your view, only a few small scrub trees, and the land here slopes gently downward to the cliff. You could easily cover it in half an hour at a leisurely (or careful) pace.

As you pause to consider the best course of action, when no one speaks you can just hear above the sounds of the nearby river a rhythmic metallic beating, as if the noise of hammer on anvil.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Stonjuz »

"Good idea. Yes, the treeline Andrin, to regain spells, as I am all exhausted of them at the moment." As the group nears the requested rest area, the noise of the hammer falls upon Stonejuice's ears. "Dwarfs I suspect. Why is it we cant get a nice quiet rest on this rock? Between faux songbirds, waterfalls and now anvils, its a wonder that anything can get any rest 'round here." A moment of silence from the dwarf, as he waits for the others' ideas, before he adds, "...and if we do run into some dwarves, should we tell them about the gold up top.....?"

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Sir Clarence »

"I somehow doubt that we'll meet any dwarves here, Stonjuz", says Andrin. "And if we do, they will be either cursed or undead or polymorphed. Nothing is normal in this place."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 6, Evening: Under the Eaves of the Forest

The party generally agrees that to push forward and explore the mine is ill advised without first taking a rest. After falling back to the forest, you make camp in a thicket of trees not far from the river. It is a cold camp, potentially cheerless without a fire to warm the bones. And yet, here the animal sounds of spring comfort you, and you feel a change in the wind, which instead of blowing chill from higher up the mountain now swings around and brings the scent of warmer air from unknown lands below, where perhaps spring is more advanced.

Late Evening to Pre-Dawn

The night falls swiftly, and after munching on cold rations, dried fish, or whatever else you happened to carry, you all settle down for an early night's rest. Before you know it, the party watch has run its circuit without event. The last of you wakes while it is yet quite dark outside. The air remains relatively warm compared to the late night/early morning chill you have experienced thus far on your journeys. Those of you who are used to the outdoors sense the possibility of spring rains coming in the next day or two.

Plans and actions? You have reasonably enough time to return to the mine under cover of darkness if desired. Spellcasters should decide any changes in prepared spells, and any other actions you would have taken during your rest can be described before setting out for the day.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Stonjuz »

The dwarf's morning rituals are followed by his checking of inventory and familiar. He stretches the pelt across the turtle's shell and says, "Almost Turtlepoo, almost."
I personally know nothing about skins and taxidermology (even the spelling?), but Stonjuz does. How far along is the bat wing pelt?

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by zebediah »

ragnboneshopper wrote: Plans and actions? You have reasonably enough time to return to the mine under cover of darkness if desired. Spellcasters should decide any changes in prepared spells, and any other actions you would have taken during your rest can be described before setting out for the day.
That is Ogirdor's suggestion, he will urge the group to move before the sun rises so we may approach the mine unnoticed.
Are we still using these house-rules?
Vargr1105 wrote:Spellcasting

These rulings apply to all spell-casting classes. There are two types of spellcasting methods available to PCs: Versatile Vancian Magic and Ritual Magic.

Versatile Vancian Magic

- Spell slots represent both the maximum number of different spells that can be memorized and the maximum number of spells castable between each rest period.

- A spellcaster need not memorize more than one slot of the same spell. He can cast that spell multiple times, each casting consuming a spell use of the relevant level. The memorized spells remains in memory.

- A higher-level spell slot can be used to memorize a lower level spell.

- Reversible spells, or spells with more than one version must be memorized in separate slots regardless of the class and type of magic the spellcaster uses.

- Unless a spellcaster wants to alter his list of castable spells, re-memorization is not required. After the rest period the caster recuperates his magical energies and can cast any spells in memory normally. The exception to this is Ritual Magic (see below).

- The process of memorization can only be undertaken once between each rest period, regardless of the number of spells memorized.
If we are Ogirdor will keep the same list of spells, so there will be no need for re-memorization.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Sir Clarence »

After speaking a prayer to the morning sun and a spartan breakfast, Andrin is ready to go.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor the elf / camp

Thurinor sleeps fitfully, dreaming of strange songs in the forest. He awakens early, confirms the incantations pressed upon his mind, partakes of his rations, and girds himself for the exploration ahead.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh takes a predawn dip in the river to refresh his skin, then is ready to move when the others are.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by onlyme »

Malone will splash some water on his face, clean up his camp area, and prepare to face the day. He mentally prepares for a trip to the mine.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 7, Pre-Dawn: Back to the Mine

The party members make their early morning preparations in quiet anticipation. Stonjuz checks the bat pelt, which he has been religiously tending to whenever time allows. After repeated scraping and cleaning aided by sawdust collected from Swilbosh's workshop, the remnants of flesh and fat on the leather side have been removed, the fur has been cleaned, and with the drying that has taken place thus far, the pelt is now in need of a proper stretching over a board that is the right size if it is to remain usable.

Andrin and any others who pray for spells feel the general glow of approval from their objects of reverence, and Thurinor's mind is refreshed to its full capacity for arcane manipulation. When Swilbosh and Malone have taken advantage of the nearby river in order to refresh themselves, the party moves out at Ogirdor's urging.

The overhead shell of Oerth is overcast, delaying the sun's rule. The going is slow at first as the deep dark gives way to gradual lightening in the eastern sky. Nevertheless, under this cover and moving as cautiously as possible, you make your way back to the mine entrance in apparent secrecy. All is quiet. Smoke no longer wafts from the cleft in the cliff above, but you see what looks like a readied bonfire that has not been lit, and various piles of rubbish are visible here and there on the ground below the stairs leading up to the door in the cliff.

What next? Any readied items? Light source(s)? It is still before full dawn...

Map:

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor / at the stairs

The elf pokes about the piles of trash with his sword, thinking the refuse may give clue to the nature of its disposer.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by onlyme »

Is this the same spot we were at before retreating to the camp site? ie is the bonfire preparation new?

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”