Back at it

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Back at it

#281 Post by wolfpack »

Noting additional outside of preserves, barrels of water and wood is found in the cellar.

Taking a torch into the attic the group finds a dusty room. One half is filled with old furinture. A ricking chair, a craddle, a some old footchests.

the other side is blocked off by a couple of tall chest of drawers stacked next to each other. As you make your way around the chests you see a small bed.

Attached to the bed posts you see shackles and the sheets are filthy covered with dirt, dried blood, and what looks like patches of rotten skin.

next to the bed is a small dresser.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#282 Post by Alethan »

Cilian opens the small dresser drawers to see what they might contain...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by wolfpack »

Cilian starts with the center drawer and on opening finds a quill and bottle of ink and a leather bound journal.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#284 Post by Alethan »

Being possibly one of the only literate ones in the group, Cilian retrieves the materials (the ink only if the bottle can be sealed and the ink is still good). He opens the journal to the first pages and skims it to see if it contains anything of interest.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by rredmond »

Psh, Tub whispers disdainfully, books.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by wolfpack »

Opening the journal you quickly see it is a diary. After reading the 1st dozen pages you find the lady of the house was named Mary.

She was the daughter of a wealthy family in Markainus (why she can read and write). She eloped with the love of her life who was from a working class family.

They fled the city to the countryside and eventually homesteaded here in the middle of no where.

As you continue to skim through you find refrences to the past 18 years the couple had lived here. The birth of their 3 children, celebration of holidays, etc.

Flipping to the last few written page you find the following

Arvindel 4th
Jerome is dead. There was an accident with the ox and cart and he was crushed. The simple priest in the nearby village could do nothing for him, what cruel treatment by the gods to take our oldest boy away.

Arvindel 6th
We buried Jerome today it has been 2 days and I still can’t believe he is gone, curse this cruel world.

Arvindel 9th
We were visited by a man today who says he is a priest. He says he has enough power to bring Jerome back to us. He said it is a very expensive proposition however and we will have to turn over the family farm to him to pay for the service. I have been fighting with Harvey, I am willing to give anything to have Jerome back. Our two younger children agree we are all willing to start over.

Arvindel 11th
Harvey finally consented, we have struck a deal with the priest Jonus and we will sign over the deed to the farm if he can bring Jerome back to us. He has agreed and will perform the ceremony tomorrow he says.

Arvindel 12th
IT WORKED! By all that is good it worked. Priest lJonus performed his ritual in private and came to tell us it was done. We all waited and 2 hours later there was a knock on the door, it was Jerome! He was covered in dirt and still in the clothes he was buried in. We hugged and there were tears all around. We signed the deed to the farm over to Jonus and asked for a week to prepare ourselves for a move. He graciously gave us two weeks to clear out our things. Jerome was very tired, his eyes had black bags as if he had not slept in weeks and he was very thin. He ate a little but said he did not feel well and needed rest. Jonus told us it is common for those returned from the dead to feel weak for several days.

Arvindel 14th
It has been two days since Jerome returned and he does not seem to be improving. His eyes are blood shot and he moans constantly in his sleep. I can only imagine the terror of his dreams having been returned from the dead. He speaks to us very little and at this point will only eat soup. The priest levi is supposed to visit us again today to see how things are going, I hope to have some answers tonight on why Jerome has not improved.

There are no further entries.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#287 Post by Alethan »

Cilian relates the information in the journal to the others.

"Well, it certainly sounds like Jonus was our man. Do... do you think that creature we found up here was Jerome?"

He searches through the rest of the drawer to see if he can find anything else that might be useful.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by wolfpack »

the other drawers contain some clothing, a hair brush, a small hand mirror.

When you get to the bottom right hand drawer it is locked.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#289 Post by Alethan »

Before asking if anyone else can unlock the drawer, Cilian first completely removes the drawer above it to see if that gives him access to the locked drawer through the inside of the cabinet.

OOC: It works, as long as there is no dust board between each level of drawers. :) It's how I've gotten into some locked drawers in the credenza we have in our living room when I couldn't find the key.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Argennian »

When Cilian relates the entries in the journal to the party, Viktor gets a chill down his spine even though his blood is still boiling with anger and the desire for revenge. "Blast that foul Jonus! I hope we get ta see him again. And soon!" he offers more to himself than anyone in particular as he cleans the undead blood off of his short sword.

When Cilian begins removing drawers in the chest and gets to the locked one, Vik will offer to try and pick the lock if there's a dust cover between them. "Guess we could just break it open if need be. Not like it's rightful owners would care much at this point..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by wolfpack »

You pull out the drawer above the locked one and see that the bottom drawer has asolid piece of wood as a cover almost like it is a complete box.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#292 Post by Alethan »

Cilian steps back and nods at Vik to see if he can get it open.

"We could tear it apart, but... good practice," he says with a wink.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by wolfpack »

Will need viks rolls

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Argennian »

wolfpack wrote:Will need viks rolls
Open locks: need a 38% or lower...

Thief Skills: Open Locks (need 38% or lower) [1d100] = 97

OOC: :roll:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by wolfpack »

The lock on the front of the drawer is a rather simple one, but vik is unable to trip it.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Argennian »

"What the F...! Really?!" Vik exalts incredulously, gritting his teeth in frustration and rolling his eyes in disgust as his apparent incompetence is put on display for all of his fellow deputies to witness. He prepares to take his sword to it in a fit of anger, jealousy and low self-esteem but catches himself when he realizes he could damage or even destroy something delicate and potentially valuable within! "Be all I need," he mumbles under his breath venomously.

The young churl then looks over to his guild brother, abashed and wanting him to either open it in triumph or join him in suffering an embarrassing defeat. "Hey Tub, you try it!" :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#297 Post by Stonjuz »

Osric finishes stacking and scans the yard for activity. He strides to the stairways and loudly calls to the others inside,"Is everything alright?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by wolfpack »

It is still raining pretty hard outside as Osric stacks the bodies.

I need a roll from Tub if he attempts to pick the lock.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by rredmond »

Wiping the sweat off his palms on his leathers, Tub steps up and eases into it.
Finally something he's comfortable with!

He applies his picks carefully to the lock:
[1d100] = 39%
Requires under 42%
:D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by wolfpack »

Tubb kneels down and wipes is palms. Pulling some slender wires from inside his boot he goes to work on the lock.

It only takes about 30 seconds and you hear a satisfying click.

Grabbing the handle the draw slides out easily. Once removed fronm the dresser you see there is alid on the drawer attached by a hinge and a pin lock in back.

Removing the pin you are able to lift the lid. Inside you find

A small leather sack contianing 100 gold and 300 silver.
a Singet ring with a symbol of a rose wrapped around a horseshoe.
a silver pendent with the same symbol etched on it.
a silver ring set with a small emerald.
a bone map case.

Return to “Aroth”