rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 18

#1 Post by rredmond »

PM sent to Alethan
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (53.42 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 18

#2 Post by Alethan »

PM responded to... ;)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 11:30 a

Jeloon stretches and watches her wounds heal and signals her readiness to move on.

Yosef and Van assume covering positions on opposite sides of the entrance to the passage.

Till quietly, and to the humans, disappears into the darkness of the passage. Jeloon and Yosef see Till move slowly down the passage and stop around 40 - 45 feet.

HPs: Jeloon - 26/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef ; 5 - Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-3/4

Helm used 1x today.
Ointment 3 normal applications left.

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Till eventually returns and says, "looks like we might have him this time, boys. And, er..." he stammers, looking at Jeloon, "... girls. But," he continues, gathering himself, "it looks like there are about two dozen more rats milling about there, if a little less organized than they have been. I have an idea how we can maybe do a bit of damage to a lot of them at once, though, if you must know. I'll be right back..."

He empties his pack of everything but the twine, puts it back on, then runs and jumps over to the other side of the pool. Landing about half way across, he doesn't give it a second thought as he swims the rest of the way...

PM Sent... Never mind, no need to do this in a PM...

After Till swims to the other side, he goes to the room with the wine bottles. He grabs four bottles (that's how much he thinks he can safely carry at once) and brings them back to the water. He'll set them there, then return for another four bottles. He'll do that two times total, so that he has 12 bottles of wine.

Then he'll take off his pack, pull out 20' of twine off the spool and tossing it to Jeloon (tying something to weight it as necessary), then he'll afix the twine to his backpack.

He'll load his pack with as many bottles as it safely holds, then have Jeloon pull it over to the other side. Then he'll have her send it back over to repeat until all of the bottles are safely across.

Once that is all done, Till will once again cross to the other side and then reload his pack.

"The tunnel goes on about a hundred yards after the turn ahead, then it opens up into a big cavern. I'm hoping we can make use of these, by soaking a bit of cloth in the liquid, then light it and get close enough to throw several of them at as many groupings of rats as we can. We can always make a stand at the entrance to the cavern. I thought Jeloon and I could hold the line while Yosef fires arrows at rats (or the rat king) in the back and Van attacks from the second rank with his spear... Unless someone has a better idea?"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"The tunnel goes on about a hundred yards after the turn ahead, then it opens up into a big cavern. I'm hoping we can make use of these, by soaking a bit of cloth in the liquid, then light it and get close enough to throw several of them at as many groupings of rats as we can. We can always make a stand at the entrance to the cavern. I thought Jeloon and I could hold the line while Yosef fires arrows at rats (or the rat king) in the back and Van attacks from the second rank with his spear... Unless someone has a better idea?"
"Sounds like a fine plan to me," say's Bruard, "as long as you can collect the bottles and get them across quickly."
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon flashes a toothy grin. "Let's do this." she says and works with Till to retrieve the bottles and put the plan in motion.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 11:45 a

While Till makes quick work of gathering all the 12 bottles, the others keep a watch on both passages. Till is unhindered in his work and safely gets them across the waters, barely breaking a nervous sweat.

The others prepare to move forward.

Same MO until you get to the entrance? Let me know how you are going to do this and we'll work it out.

WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef ; 5 - Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.

Helm used 1x today.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Cutting off twelve pieces of twine a few inches long each, Till preps each bottle, soaking the twine in the alcohol, then cutting a notch in each cork so that the string is held in place out the neck of each bottle, and still dangling in the liquid within the bottle.

"Don't know if it will work or not, but we SHOULD be able to light these, then throw them, catching a nice size area on fire... and hopefully a few rats, as well. We can have the two front lines go in carrying two bottles each, with Bruard carrying two, as well. Maybe leave the last two here, in case we need to cover a quick retreat?"

Till shrugs,"I guess the basic plan will be to creep as close as we can get without being noticed, then light the wicks and make our way as close to the mouth of the cave as we can, then... Well, throw bottles at rats! We deal with what is left by blade and arrow and kick this rat king off his throne. Sound good?"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"Don't know if it will work or not, but we SHOULD be able to light these, then throw them, catching a nice size area on fire... and hopefully a few rats, as well. We can have the two front lines go in carrying two bottles each, with Bruard carrying two, as well. Maybe leave the last two here, in case we need to cover a quick retreat?"

Till shrugs,"I guess the basic plan will be to creep as close as we can get without being noticed, then light the wicks and make our way as close to the mouth of the cave as we can, then... Well, throw bottles at rats! We deal with what is left by blade and arrow and kick this rat king off his throne. Sound good?"
Bruard slings his shield onto his back and picks up two bottles. Sounds like a good plan. Let's do it!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon will collect a pair of bottles as well.

"Ready," she says rather matter-of-factly, clearly ready to move out and meet this rat king once and for all.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Till ponders... And waits for just the right moment to put their plan into action.

Hopefully that time will shortly arrive...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Argennian »

Once preparations are made, Yosef slings his bow and gets out his last torch. He'll use his tinderbox to light it up and make sure that it is going well, intending to be ready to hold it forward so that whomever is going to throw the first couple Molotov's can quickly apply them to the open flame.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 11:55 a

The party creeps toward the entrance. It isn't as noisy and chaotic as it was before. In fact it's very quiet.

The party stops at the bend, about 25' from the entrance to the cavern.

Where do you all light the torch and who goes in first? Sounds like 3 throwers (Till, Jeloon and Bruard) and a lighter (Yosef). But only two folks will be able to throw, or enter from the entrance to the cavern at the same time. Unless someone is throwing from the second rank.

Helm used 1x today.

12 bottles o' flame

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, then Bruard will stand behind Till so he can easily throw from the second rank.

After that, then we'll have the second rank do a quick shift. Bruard will move back, Yosef will slide into Bruard's place, and Van will move up behind Jeloon so he can attack from the second rank with his spear and hopefully Yosef can fire his bow from the second rank, as well.

Then I'd highly suggest Bruard keep an eye on their rear to make sure they aren't flanked from behind...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Yeah, then Bruard will stand behind Till so he can easily throw from the second rank.

After that, then we'll have the second rank do a quick shift. Bruard will move back, Yosef will slide into Bruard's place, and Van will move up behind Jeloon so he can attack from the second rank with his spear and hopefully Yosef can fire his bow from the second rank, as well.

Then I'd highly suggest Bruard keep an eye on their rear to make sure they aren't flanked from behind...
This sounds like a good plan, and Bruard moves into place to execute it. He mumbles under his breath 'fire, fire'

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon has no issue with the plan, either. She readies her bottles and prepares for the confrontation.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:... Where do you all light the torch and who goes in first? Sounds like 3 throwers (Till, Jeloon and Bruard) and a lighter (Yosef). But only two folks will be able to throw, or enter from the entrance to the cavern at the same time. Unless someone is throwing from the second rank. ...
OOC: Yosef would have wanted to light the torch and make sure it was burning well enough before the party moved forward. Sorry for not clarifying that in my previous post, Ron.

In regards to Yosef equipping his bow and firing from the second rank, say from behind and over Till's head in the second rank, he'd be more than willing to do so, granted say he could hand the torch over to Bruard after the first wave of Molotovs are lit and prepped to throw. Otherwise, he'd have to set the torch down on the cavern floor.

Q: are the floors dry here or is there any standing water present?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by ToniXX »

Argennian wrote:In regards to Yosef equipping his bow and firing from the second rank, say from behind and over Till's head in the second rank, he'd be more than willing to do so, granted say he could hand the torch over to Bruard after the first wave of Molotovs are lit and prepped to throw. Otherwise, he'd have to set the torch down on the cavern floor.

Q: are the floors dry here or is there any standing water present?
Bruard will be happy to hold the torch, as he can't attack ranged, but depending on Ron's answer to the state of wetness of the floors, Bruard may end up dropping the torch a round later so he may move forward and attack.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

More detailed answer later, but this is above the water. While its underground-damp in these passages there do not seem to be any puddles or other types of standing water.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 12:00 p

Firstly an apology my friends, this was one helluva weird week. Funny enough expanded as my duties at work have become, I'm now the boss of about 150 people, so delegation will make my life a bit easier to post. Woot!

The party creeps with the lit torch to the entrance. The light from the torch show them that the cavern is the largest they've seen thus far in this underground lair. There doesn't seem to be any rats though to Till's practiced eye there is a glint of treasure off to the northwest. As the three throwers quickly light their torches, several things break the silence all at once.

There is a loud squeaking noise that sounds half-human, followed by a similar (perhaps same) squeaky kind of voice calling from the northwest corner of the cavern, send me your champion, if he defeats me then you will have my treasure and crown! Then the squeaky voices let's loose with one of the most maniacal laughs you've ever heard, but it doesn't cover the sounds of rats, big ones and lots of them, squeaking toward you from the front and the back. Van, standing behind Jeloon, turns and moves southward a bit to stand next to Yosef whispering an unnecessary "rats behind" as he sets his spear. The rats behind you are coming down the same 10' passage that you just came down, but in front of you, whether a trick of cavern echos or not, the rats sound as if they are coming from all directions. It a mass of chaotic noise.

Your missiles are lit, you have time to throw them but the rats are coming fast. Initiative is yours this round.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (92.45 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Please everyone make a d20 roll and tell me what you are doing with your cocktails. Greg if you are throwing over Till, do not roll a 1 :) Everyone but Yosef and Van have burning bottles in their hands. I wasn't sure if you wanted both bottles in your hand lit, so you can let me know now whether you are each tossing two bottles (with separate d20 rolls) or one. The fun is on!

[/b]HPs: Jeloon - 26/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 16/19

Helm used 1x today.

12 bottles o' flame

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”