Chp. 1: The Adventure Begins.....

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Chp. 1: The Adventure Begins.....

#1 Post by Bloodaxe »

The realm of mankind is narrow & constricted. Always the forces of Chaos press upon its borders, seeking to enslave its populace, rape its riches, and steal its treasures. If it were not for a stout few, many in the realm would indeed fall prey to the evil which surrounds them. Yet, there are always certain exceptional & brave members of humanity, as well as individuals among its allies- dwarves, elves & halflings - who rise above the common level and join battle to stave off the darkness which would otherwise overwhelm the land. Bold adventurers set off for the Borderlands to seek their fortune. It is these adventurers who, provided they survive the challenge, carry the battle directly to the enemy. Such adventurers meet the forces of Chaos in a testing ground where only the fittest will return to relate the tale. These few will become skilled in their profession, be it fighter, or magic-user, cleric or thief. They will be tried in the fire of combat, those who return, hardened & more fit.

You are indeed members of that exceptional class, who journeyed to the Keep on the Borderlands in search of fame & fortune. Of course you are inexperienced, but you have skills , and a heart that cries out for adventure. You have it in you to become great, but you must gain experience, knowledge, and greater skill. Your fate is in your hands.

Ahead,up a winding road, atop a sheer walled mount of stone, looms the great Keep. Here, at one of civilizations strongholds between good lands & bad, you will base yourselves and equip for forays against the wicked monsters who lurk in the wilds. Somewhere nearby , amidst the dark forests and tangled fens, are the caves of Chaos, where fell creatures lie in wait.
All this you already know, but before you dare such adventure, you must become acquainted with the other members of your group. Each life will depend on the ability of the others to cooperate against the common foe. Now, before you enter this grim fortress , is the time for introductions, and an exchange of information. For fate has decreed that you are to become an adventurous band who must pass through many harrowing experiences together on the path to greatness.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Adventure Begins.....

#2 Post by Bloodaxe »

Image[/url]

by_the_sword
Squire
Squire

#3 Post by by_the_sword »

Cailte Cadwallon trudges up the winding track to the Keep's Gatehouse laden with gear. Just before the reaches the Gates themselves he pauses to rest, dumping his pack upon the ground and falling next to it, breathing heavily from exhaustion.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by NJWilliam »

Brother Bayard, Human Cleric

Despite the length of his journey, Bayard keeps a light step as he makes his way up the road to the keep. As he nears the gate and sees the halfling on the side of the road, he raises his arm in greeting and calls out to him as he looks the gate up and down,

"Now that is a sight for sore eyes, no? It seems you have traveled far as well, though not as light.
"I am Brother Bayard, from quite a ways away. Have you been here before?"
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Badger1stClass
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by Badger1stClass »

Marda, Dwarf 1

Plowing up the hill under her laden backpack, a young-ish Dwarvish woman in chainmail nears the congregation.

"Ahoy!" she yodels. "What's the trouble, then? Are they not accepting arrivals?" She throws off her backpack and stretches her shoulders and neck with a crackle or two. She has a deep scar on her left cheek and another lighter one above and along her right eyebrow.

She eyes the door. "And here I wanted to have a good drunk before bed."
Marda the Red, Dwarf in Bloodaxe's "Keep on the Borderlands" using "Labyrinth Lord"
Gwinn Aldreed, Half-Elf Thief/Mage in Rukellian's "Fabricator of Planes" using "OSRIC"

mordrene
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by mordrene »

A young, human male comes along, staring at the keep in awe and excitement. he almost stumbles into the group and says,

"Sorry I didn't see you all there. Isn't this place great? look at all the battlements. I bet there's some knights in there with some tales to tell. come on lazy bones lets get inside and find out."

He starts to walk away and pauses and turns back to the party. "So sorry , I'm Niles. Glad to meet you all. Lets get inside and see what adventure we can find."
Niles Redmond, Ftr 1, Keep on the Borderlands

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Bloodaxe »

I guess you missed this in OOC Chat.
A bit of background.
How you got there?
You have linked up with a caravan travelling to the Keep. A merchant caravan consisting of several wagons of goods & some guards. A friendly merchant in charge of the caravan, Gunther, let you join up. Free meals, the promise of a few coins at the journeys end, and safety in numbers. Luckily it was a pleasant journey. Good weather & no trouble. You got to know your fellow adventurers a bit along the way.

Its ok, keep going. It was an idea to get you all there & how you got to know each other a little. You don't all have to use the
'caravan idea", you can arrive however you like.

Please put the name of your character & class at the top of your posts. If you talk, it would be easier if you use a different color.
There are 10 players(for now), so I need to KEEP track of them.
thanks!

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

Magar the Stout, Magic-user

Upon arriving at the Keep Magar will inquire as to the availability of lodging. He is looking for something priced mid-ranged, preferably a private room. As he walks about he will keep an ear open for interesting conversation and appealing rumors. Should one strike his fancy, he will part with a silver coin to hear more.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Bloodaxe »

thirdkingdom wrote:Magar the Stout, Magic-user

Upon arriving at the Keep Magar will inquire as to the availability of lodging. He is looking for something priced mid-ranged, preferably a private room. As he walks about he will keep an ear open for interesting conversation and appealing rumors. Should one strike his fancy, he will part with a silver coin to hear more.

DAY 1 9am

(you haven't quite entered yet)
Magar arrives at the main gate, two towers flank a drawbridge that has been lowered to allow the wagons inside. Two large stout doors and two sets of portcullis guard the entrance.
You see two guards in the towers each with crossbows, watching as your group approaches.

A soldier dressed in chainmail with a sword at his waist, greets you.

Welcome to Kendall Keep. Im Sabin the Gatekeper. This is a peaceful, law abiding place. We don't like brawling in the streets, folks stabbed in the tavern, or anything like that. Keep your weapons sheathed, and stay out of trouble, and you will find the Keep a home away from home. Stir up trouble.....and you will regret it.

Enough of that.....

What is your name and business here?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

"I am Magar, wielder of magics both puissant and esoteric. I come here in search of gold and treasure in the Borderlands beyond."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by NJWilliam »

Brother Bayard, Human Cleric

Bayard takes a step closer to Sabin the Gatekeeper, "I am Brother Bayard, I am here to vanquish evil, aid the efforts of the civilized races here, and in doing so hopefully raise enough coin for a place of worship."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Bloodaxe »

thirdkingdom wrote:Magar the Stout, Magic-user

"I am Magar, wielder of magics both puissant and esoteric. I come here in search of gold and treasure in the Borderlands beyond."

He nods respectfully.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Bloodaxe »

NJWilliam wrote:Brother Bayard, Human Cleric

Bayard takes a step closer to Sabin the Gatekeeper, "I am Brother Bayard, I am here to vanquish evil, aid the efforts of the civilized races here, and in doing so hopefully raise enough coin for a place of worship."
Sabin nods and smiles.
We have a Chapel to St Cuthbert here.

monk
Runner
Runner

#14 Post by monk »

Abin, Human Cleric

"My name is Abin, Cleric of Jascar. I wander at the behest of my god, to eradicate the foul presence of goblinoids in these holy hills."

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Bloodaxe »

monk wrote:Abin, Human Cleric

"My name is Abin, Cleric of Jascar. I wander at the behest of my god, to eradicate the foul presence of goblinoids in these holy hills."

Im sorry, I don't know of Jascar, but I am sure he is a worthy Deity.

Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Fearghus »

Fingal the Pawnbroker, Human Thief

Removing the cowl of his cloak, the thief steps forward, "Hi, I'm Fingal the Pawnbroker. Just doing my part to give good folk a good chance at success in these harsh lands".

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Bloodaxe »

Fearghus wrote:Fingal the Pawnbroker, Human Thief

Removing the cowl of his cloak, the thief steps forward, "Hi, I'm Fingal the Pawnbroker. Just doing my part to give good folk a good chance at success in these harsh lands".

Sabin looks at Fingal.
.........well plenty of merchants and traders come here.

Badger1stClass
Runner
Runner

#18 Post by Badger1stClass »

Marda, Dwarf 1

She points a thumb at Abin, unsure how a lone Dwarf would be taken in these parts.

Marda Berrek, of Clan Ironhand. I'm with that guy.

She winks at Abin as if to say, "It's cool."
Marda the Red, Dwarf in Bloodaxe's "Keep on the Borderlands" using "Labyrinth Lord"
Gwinn Aldreed, Half-Elf Thief/Mage in Rukellian's "Fabricator of Planes" using "OSRIC"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by thirdkingdom »

"What news, Captain, can you tell us of the Borderlands these days? Can you recommend appropriate accommodations for weary travelers such as myself and companions?" Magar slips Sabin a gold coin.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Bloodaxe »

Badger1stClass wrote:Marda, Dwarf 1

She points a thumb at Abin, unsure how a lone Dwarf would be taken in these parts.

Marda Berrek, of Clan Ironhand. I'm with that guy.

She winks at Abin as if to say, "It's cool."

The gatekeeper looks over at Marda carefully.
Dwarves are mighty warriors, but I never metal a Dwarf-woman. Welcome.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”