Action Thread 9

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 9

#61 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 6:05 a

Let me know if there's a retcon in the making here, but I figured I'd push the action forward since we have a definitive action call.

With the Ranger shooting a shocked look at the party thieves, and a wondering look at the casket, the party leaves the possibly useful casket behind. They travel back up north to the intersection and then head south. After 25’ the passage bends and you can see a cavern up ahead. Son of Thunder and Zafalia have their torches going, as does Wulgard have his lamp, but there is also a luminescence coming from the cavern. It’s a side cavern, jutting to the northeast of the passage. The stream runs through it, but there’s a pool in the middle of the room. Not only is the pool strange because it’s not (apparently) connected to the stream, but also because it glows with an eerie bluish light. The cavern ceiling is ragged with the spiky points of innumerable stalactites and the floor is uneven and appears to be slick and wet. There isn’t any apparent movement or sound, other than an irregular dripping sound from the ceiling into the pool.

Standard marching order puts Odo in front, followed by Zafalia, giving Rake a great view of the cavern as well. If you march on only one side of the stream it’s single file, but you can march on either side if you like. You are at the X.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (25.56 KiB) Viewed 848 times

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 17/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 3/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes (Malak) OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 24 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 69 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 160 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by Alethan »

Well... we might want to retcon the casket. How big is it? I figured when you said "casket" that it was huge, like 5' long or something, and didn't think it would be feasible to haul around. If it is smaller, and portable, then we should definitely take it with us. Also, we should have all of the thieves try to pick the lock. How many do we have? I know at least one person tried...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by rredmond »

The casket is big. And if filled it would be heavy.

It's about 5' by about 3' and about 2' deep.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by saalaria »

Does it have visible hinges and do we think we could smash them, thus opening the casket?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

It has a lock set in to the front, so that can't be smashed off. It does have two, big old hinges in the back.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo checks for traps, and if finding no traps on the casket, will try to pick them open.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia finishes her prayers and feels her druidic powers fully restored. She lightly sucks and chews on a small piece of mistletoe and takes a few deep breaths. "Now where were we?" she asks after her warm up, rubbing her hands together and trying not to look over towards Malak's body.
tkrexx wrote:The Ranger grins at Varkos. 10 silvers! Noting the chest, he asks, Are we planning to leave this, or crack it open? Be a pity to think brave Malak perished without a prize.
The little halfling grips her spear and shield in inner turmoil. She looks up at Son of Thunder and swallows the lump in her throat. "That not another of us perish in these strange and dangerous subterranean haunts, my brave friend. Let us do what we can, not only in the stead of those poor villagers but in justified revenge of our friend. I lay blame on the crooked masters of this perverse place," she glowers with her tiny jaw set in a ridiculous-looking snarl.

She then assesses the stubborn casket with the others before her eyes get narrower. "Yes, we should have a peek in there! If not for Malak's sake, perhaps a boon for the party at least?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger watches while the Thief plies his trade against the locked casket, fingering his hand ax in the event Odo is also unable to safely open it.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 6:10 a

Okay I'll leave the other post up, we'll be coming back to it later, but we are rewinding here to address the casket a bit.

With sweat on his brow, and his hands shaking a bit, Odo addresses the casket and seems to have some difficulty checking it out and then with his picks.

PM sent.

HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 17/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 3/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 26 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 80 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 170 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by Distorted Humor »

I Just can't do it folks...we need to move along... I ..don't feel comfortable here...My hairs on my feet are standing up on end.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ok, so... anyone want to try busting off the hinges? If not, we should get moving...

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by tkrexx »

Giving Odo a curious look, the Ranger asks, Are you saying we should leave this cask be? You know more about it than anyone, yours is the judgement we will trust.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur watches Odo with interest. After he stops trying, Al'Zur pulls his tool and says "I will give it a try as well."

[1d100] = 4 pick locks

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:Al'Zur watches Odo with interest. After he stops trying, Al'Zur pulls his tool and says "I will give it a try as well."

[1d100] = 4 pick locks
Hey, that should do it!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by saalaria »

Nice roll Nulke!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by rredmond »

out of town for a couple days, but yes, excellent roll
A loud satisfying click alerts everyone that Al'Zur was successful in unlocking the casket.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia readies her spear in case a miniature shambling mound springs out from the casket!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo draws his sword, not for his skill...but for his moral support in fights...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 6:20 a

The casket stands there unlocked and unopened.

HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 17/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 3/6
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 16 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 70 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 160 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar positions herself to the side of the chest, then she nudges Al'Zur's elbow with her quarterstaff, in an attempt to get him to hurry up and open it.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”