ACKS and Character Creation

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: ACKS and Character Creation

#81 Post by sulldawga »

I'm feeling lucky...

I'll take the 1,000 gp for a 15% chance of two random magic items trade.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:I'm feeling lucky...

I'll take the 1,000 gp for a 15% chance of two random magic items trade.
Rolled a 15 and a 20 on my phone. I am not excluding potions/scrolls on these rolls. Result yields a scroll of Protection from Lycanthropes.

Hrafn
Guide
Guide

#83 Post by Hrafn »

I suggest the company all pitch in evenly for a wagon and two heavy draft horses, to distribute any excess load. I would say let's get mounts for faster movement, but then we have a monkey and a 20' long python who can't exactly ride bitch, aye? Would be 280gp split six ways, so 47 gold each (or I could foot the whole bill and charge the party to make up for the loss :D )
Either way, if we do get a wagon I'm grabbing a barrel or three of beer. Necessities, y'know? >__>

EDIT: Scratch that. I forgot the costs for a laboratory and such, and I do plan to do some crafting. Hm.
Kaa, who devours (5th level shaman, ACKS)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by thirdkingdom »

The laboratory, I shall say, is going to cost you 1000 gold, and it is "traveling" in the sense that it is slightly more portable than a normal lab. It weighs 120 stone and takes a half day (4 hours) to assemble.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by thirdkingdom »

@everyone. I'd like to see character sheets up by Saturday. I was originally going to build henchman, but I've decided to let you guys do that. Henchmen need to be up as well.

Only sulldawga has played in a game I've run before, so as a head's up be aware that I try and run a pretty tight game. I think I'm fair, but I also demand a bit from y'all. With that being said, all character sheets -- PC and henchman -- need to be up by Saturday night, east coast US. I will review Sunday, with the first IC post going up Monday morning east coast time.

Hrafn
Guide
Guide

#86 Post by Hrafn »

Alright, then. Adding +1,000 to a workshop, then. I'll Buy a wagon, four horses (360gp), get a travelling workshop in the wagon at +1 level for 7,000. On top of the 3,161 for my other gear. That's 10,521gp of my 16,000. 5,479 gold's worth remaining.

I will trade 1,000 of it for a 15% shot at two magic items, if I may please? And the rest will end up in jewelry and cash, I suppose.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by thirdkingdom »

Hrafn wrote:Alright, then. Adding +1,000 to a workshop, then. I'll Buy a wagon, four horses (360gp), get a travelling workshop in the wagon at +1 level for 7,000. On top of the 3,161 for my other gear. That's 10,521gp of my 16,000. 5,479 gold's worth remaining.

I will trade 1,000 of it for a 15% shot at two magic items, if I may please? And the rest will end up in jewelry and cash, I suppose.

1d100=67, 1d100=84.

Sorry.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rodriguez wrote:
-A Monkey Totem Shaman with an Ivory Kingdoms Barbarian as Henchmen (Pete)
-an Explorer with Beast Friendship (NJWilliam)
-A Shaman (Hrafn)
-a Barbarian from Jutland (sulldawga)
-an Assassin probably from Jutland (Rodriguez)
Hit points for the PCs I am aware of. Note that the roll does not include constitution modifiers nor does it include hit points at first level. Characters will have their max. hit points at first level.
drpete: Levels 2-5: (4d6=15)
NJWilliam:Levels 2-5: (4d6=18)
Hrafn: Levels 2-5: (4d6=14)
sulldawga: Levels 2-4: (3d8=20)
Rodriguez: Levels 2-5: (4d6=17)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by drpete »

Interesting idea, but I don't think Mowgli was an African pit fighter :)

The shaman and his monkey are "grandfather" and "grandmother" in Swahili.

With my magic items, the shaman's going to be a pretty fierce fighter, himself. I'm going to change both swords into spears, and give the basic one to my henchman.

It looks like i'm going to spend down most of my money, though I can probably tweak thing if we need to. We could always set up a base camp in the starting city, rather than lugging a laboratory everywhere, if we save some money to get a house, or something. Hard to plan at that level before the game starts.

Are we assuming we all know each other from before, or should the Ivory Kingdoms and the Jutland groups combine on the sea voyage?
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'm happy with you guys doing whatever you want in terms of backstory. Essentially, I'm going to open with you guys arriving in the new city, going on the assumption that y'all know each other and have decided to band together blah blah blah.

As to the wagon.
ACKS Core, page 43 wrote:Carts may only move through deserts, mountains, forests, or swamps if a road is available.
and
ACKS Core, page 48 wrote:A wagon can move at a similar speed and conditions as a cart.
Keep in mind that a number of the hooks I will be providing do require overland movement through terrain without roads. This is, after all, a hexcrawl.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by sulldawga »

My character is posted. I think I got everything right but let me know if anything seems off.

One question - does saddle and tack have encumbrance? I assume so but I don't know how much. Should I assume it's a heavy item (1 stone)?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by NJWilliam »

thirdkingdom wrote:Beast Friendship: same as shaman, but normal animal.
Hmmm. I was thinking a horse and/or a falcon. Would they differ significantly as henchmen compared to well trained non-henchman beasts?
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Hrafn
Guide
Guide

#93 Post by Hrafn »

thirdkingdom wrote:I'm happy with you guys doing whatever you want in terms of backstory. Essentially, I'm going to open with you guys arriving in the new city, going on the assumption that y'all know each other and have decided to band together blah blah blah.

As to the wagon.
ACKS Core, page 43 wrote:Carts may only move through deserts, mountains, forests, or swamps if a road is available.
and
ACKS Core, page 48 wrote:A wagon can move at a similar speed and conditions as a cart.
Keep in mind that a number of the hooks I will be providing do require overland movement through terrain without roads. This is, after all, a hexcrawl.
Aye. A bit of a pickly situation, but I presume that of we absolutely need to, we can empty the wagon, hobble it, and put the gear on the horses. The wagon will also facilitate treasure recovery, I believe.
Although considering it now, that gives us a single terrain type we can move through unimpeded? Well, plains and hills. Hmm...
Would it be possible to have the portable workshop, but tended? Set up for use by the local clergy, on the grounds that they keep it safe and whole, and that it's mine if I need to take it? Or is use for protection unbalanced, and we need to work out terms of service?
NJWilliam wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Beast Friendship: same as shaman, but normal animal.
Hmmm. I was thinking a horse and/or a falcon. Would they differ significantly as henchmen compared to well trained non-henchman beasts?
Loyalty and combat readiness, I believe. Same as from hirelings to henchman?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by thirdkingdom »

Yeah, as far as I am concerned a henchanimal is simply going to have a higher morale and be more loyal than a normal trained animal.

The lab could be left in the PCs lodging, as well. You guys could start off renting a house, or even a nice villa, which would be a bit beyond the cost of living payment. In other words, they're paying enough "off the books" with the cost of living to afford renting a decent sized house in a city. For a little extra, above and beyond the handwave of cost of living, y'all could afford to rent a nice villa with servants, a garden, etc.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by Rodriguez »

thirdkingdom wrote:Yeah, as far as I am concerned a henchanimal is simply going to have a higher morale and be more loyal than a normal trained animal
It can also gain more levels right?
thirdkingdom wrote: The lab could be left in the PCs lodging, as well. You guys could start off renting a house, or even a nice villa, which would be a bit beyond the cost of living payment. In other words, they're paying enough "off the books" with the cost of living to afford renting a decent sized house in a city. For a little extra, above and beyond the handwave of cost of living, y'all could afford to rent a nice villa with servants, a garden, etc.
A villa would be nice!

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#96 Post by Rodriguez »

sulldawga wrote:My character is posted. I think I got everything right but let me know if anything seems off.

One question - does saddle and tack have encumbrance? I assume so but I don't know how much. Should I assume it's a heavy item (1 stone)?
I think its similar to a backpack. No Encumbrance if the horse wears it, but heavy if you have to lug it around.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by thirdkingdom »

Henchanimals do gain XP and levels. They will gain a half-share from combat XP. You can have one start out at higher levels, although at 2/3 rate because of slower advancement. So, if you spend 1800 gp it'll have 1200 XP.

Hrafn is correct about saddlebags.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by NJWilliam »

Okay, I'll probably stick with the henchanimals then.
If the xp progression information is not in the books (I don't have them available until tonight), how much xp for second or third (and if it depends on the type of henchanimal, I'm considering warhorse (probably light), wardog (wolf?), and falcon/hawk.
Thanks.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by thirdkingdom »

There's official stuff on henchanimal level progression on the autarch forum; not sure where and since I'm on my phone it's going to be a bitch to search. Will do it tonight if you can't find it.

@sulldawga. Warhorse has 18 hp, mule 10.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by sulldawga »

My advice would be not to buy the wagon. Eventually, we'll have to leave it somewhere and you won't be happy about losing your alchemy lab on wheels.

Harald, to be perfectly honest, would have little interest in a villa. He's saving up to build his own stronghold.

His short intro is:

Harald was a thane to the local jarl in his homeland. When the jarl died in combat, another family took over and he lost his position of power and prestige. He's come to this new land to carve out his own jarldom.

Return to “[ACKS Hexcrawl] Strangers in a Strange Land”