Proto-Star Wars OD&D game

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Proto-Star Wars OD&D game

#1 Post by Starbeard »

Greetings! Here's the idea:

What: A game for maybe 2-4 players, weekly turn rates subject to change, focusing on exploring the rules together through a (hopefully) shortish adventure. Possible extension into a larger game if there's enough enthusiasm and commitment all around.

Rules: We will try out the 1973 first draft of D&D, preserved in the 1979 lawsuit (what I think has been referred to as "Guidon D&D"). This means that combats will mostly use Chainmail rules, with the "d20 alternative" table used for certain types of combat.

Setting: The 1973-74 synopses and draft scripts for The Star Wars. You can read them all at the Starkiller section of StarWarz.com.

Caveats: You must understand that we will sometimes have to puzzle over what the rules are trying to indicate, and adjust accordingly (or, you have to at least be willing to let the ref do the puzzling, and to make experiments and mistakes here or there).

Some basic ideas that will be in use:
Jedi Bendu (and Sith) will use the elf rules. "Hubbles," a green-skinned indigenous race whose concept eventually split and morphed separately into Chewbacca, Greedo, the ewoks, and the gungans, will use the dwarf rules. Clerics are called "Dai Nogas," a different order of mystic knights similar to the Jedi.

Weapons and armor rules will be used as-is, simply re-skinned as laser/light weapons and spacer gear. Where sci-fi equipment is in combat against medieval/fantasy equipment, I think sci-fi equipment will just gain first strike, and that's it.

Space travel, and vehicle piloting and combat, will be figured out if they ever become important enough to warrant rules instead of just handwaving it.

I've already got first dibs with Rex and Dicey for players (I'm quoting them so they'll get pinged about this thread).
Dicey wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm Try this I would Mr. Starbeard!
Rex wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm Looks very cool, I am in if you will have me.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Proto-Star Wars OD&D game

#2 Post by rredmond »

Starbeard runs a heckuva space game. Goodness do I know!
That Star Trek: The Final Frontier game rocked!!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

I am in!

Looking forward to some very old school fun!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I would be willing to give this a try, if you'd have me.

It sounds wildly intriguing to my old-school sensibilities. :D

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Starbeard »

rredmond wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 am Starbeard runs a heckuva space game. Goodness do I know!
That Star Trek: The Final Frontier game rocked!!
Aw, thanks! I do regularly miss playing Star Trek games, someday we might go back.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Starbeard »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm I would be willing to give this a try, if you'd have me.

It sounds wildly intriguing to my old-school sensibilities. :D
Rex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 am I am in!

Looking forward to some very old school fun!
Great, so it looks we have three if Dicey is still interested.

The draft seems pretty interesting. About 80% of it looks identical to the final product, but there are a few little changes that would make a big difference. For starters,
there are only five abilities scores: intelligence, cunning, strength, health, and appearance. Clerics are only barred from using edged weapons "at the referee's option." From the way elf multiclassing is written, it really seems like they only jump over to the second class after they've maxed out their first class. Dwarves automatically get +10% XP just for being bad to the bone.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

I haven't had a chance to read the rules yet but it sounds very cool. I will have to see how my rolls go but some interesting options.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Dicey »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm
….if Dicey is still interested.

The draft seems pretty interesting…
Dicey is interested. I’m also interested in reading the interesting draft.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by cybersavant »

they adapted it in a comic mini series a few years ago - VERY different from screen version - a lot changed after Lucas consulted Joseph Campbell

called The Star Wars
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Starbeard »

cybersavant wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:46 am they adapted it in a comic mini series a few years ago - VERY different from screen version - a lot changed after Lucas consulted Joseph Campbell

called The Star Wars
That was a cool adaptation, I thought that was really cool of Dark Horse to make that their last send off project before handing the license over to Disney.

This game will be pulling from that first draft, and the second and maybe even third (the fourth is the one that became the movie), plus the original "Journal of the Whills" and "Story Synopsis" pitches. Each version gets a little closer to the finished story and characters, but it's a wild ride along the way. I also plan on borrowing from George's source material when I think of it: 30s-50s adventure serials, Barsoom, The Foundation, Dune.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

We have a forum now: viewforum.php?f=1550

I'll keep this open for a while longer to see if there is any more interest. Hopefully I'll be able to get everyone added and a character creation thread started this weekend.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by gurusql »

If you want one more I will give it a try!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Starbeard »

gurusql wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 am If you want one more I will give it a try!
Sure thing, you're in!

Return to “Looking for players or games”