OOC Chatter

Eris
Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC Chatter

#21 Post by Edeldhur »

Ah that's a shame... Gishes are my favorite characters of all time - had I know we could play multiclass I might have selected that option. Oh well.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Darithe »

Present, sir. I am up to sticking with Vesper, if she isn't required to convert to a Wizard. If she can remain a bard, that is fine, but otherwise I'd prefer to create a new one. Let me know, since I know bards weren't part of what you were considering.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by joertexas »

I'm here with Carsta Fletcher in tow. I'll convert her to 5e.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am Comments? Thoughts? If you allowed multiclass i was thinking of 1 rogue / 2 wizard, or rogue 3 arcane trickster archetype.
Before I shift more, checking the multiclass question. Can I do Rogue/Wizard/Wizard and Wizard from here out?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Eris »

Darithe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm Present, sir. I am up to sticking with Vesper, if she isn't required to convert to a Wizard. If she can remain a bard, that is fine, but otherwise I'd prefer to create a new one. Let me know, since I know bards weren't part of what you were considering.
I'll see if I can make her a Bard. As I said, I'm being a little more broadminded with the existing players with their existing characters. :)

I'm not really opposed to Bards, Druids, Rangers and Barbarians, but they aren't in the Basic Rules. I am trying to avoid them where I can.

As for multiclassing, again, I'm not dead set against it. It does make things a bit more complicated and we are going for Basic here, so I'm discouraging it.

Folks, I did say that if you had your heart set on something other than Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue I would entertain your arguments. Same with multiclassing. I'm not enthusiastic about expanding beyond what is in the free Basic Rules, but I do try to accommodate what players want to play...up to a point.

These things I am definitely using from 5e Hardcore Mode:
  • PC's don't advance beyond 10th level (you can keep playing them, but no stats or go up from there. For one thing that means top spells for PC's will be 5th level, nothing beyond that! NPC's yes, PC's no.

• Roll to Cast for Spells! HardCore Mode says 1d20+Mod >= 10 to succeed. I'm thinking hard about changing that to 10+Spell Level.

• Zones : Here is near by, in melee; There is in the scene and in range for ranged combat; Elsewhere is not in the scene, maybe you hear something in the distance, maybe you don't)

• Classic XP: variable by class

• The Upper Hand: whoever gets it has Advantage on all rolls, even roll 3 and take the best in some cases!

• Death and Healing: Easier to die, harder to heal.
From Old School and common courtesy I'm taking:
  • NO Darkvision for PC's! I'll give you low light vision for Dwarves and Elves (Near, out to ~30' shades of gray only and only where there is some hint of light from somewhere. Monsters have infra-vision, PC's do not!)

• Encounters are not scaled by PC level: If fighting is too hard...RUN Away! Or find a way past without fighting

• Rulings over rules & Narrative over Rolls: Try things, even if they aren't on your sheet! Tell me what you're doing and how, you might not need to roll to do it and you might get a bonus if you do! Cool almost always trumps rule, too! Swing from chandeliers, run across tightropes, improvise things! Sometimes it won't work, but sometimes it will and the more fun it is the more likely I'll let it work! If something doesn't conform to a rule in the book, there's a reason for that in the DM's world and don't expect the DM to tell you want it is...take it as an "Oh! Different!" moment.

• No over arching plot/story! Yeah, I have ideas and things happen in the world, but there's not a plot. You can do what you want, go where you want. Feel free to surprise me from time to time.

• Don't be an ass! Do I have to explain that? Now days, courtesy isn't common, make it be so in this game.

• Boost the Party! You are a team. Support your team mates. Make them look good. Make sure they get a chance to shine. If you do, and they do, everyone wins!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

As for multiclassing, again, I'm not dead set against it. It does make things a bit more complicated and we are going for Basic here, so I'm discouraging it.
Nah. If you're not for it I'll keep as is.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

Everything looks good to me.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by Edeldhur »

Thanks a lot for this post Eris (viewtopic.php?p=701235#p701235)
It was very useful for a (still) noob forum poster!

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Eris »

Edeldhur wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 am Thanks a lot for this post Eris (viewtopic.php?p=701235#p701235)
It was very useful for a (still) noob forum poster!
You're welcome! I made that post up and ran it by the Admins and they said it looked right to them, so hopefully it is right! :)

I wasn't the first to be confused by the process (especially the subscribe bit because it looked backwards to me), and you won't be the last.

So far it has worked for me, BUT I am reliably informed that once in a while it glitches for reasons nobody has figured out, and stops sending emails for some people. Maybe it's the email provider, maybe it's something about the route the email takes, maybe it's the position of the stars, maybe it's gremlins in the system...probably not those two. :)

IAC, if you don't see a post for a day or two please, PLEASE, check the board and make sure there really haven't been any posts. And double check that it still says Unsubscribe down at the bottom of the page as I've heard of cases where that flips spontaneously. That's why I suspect gremlins... ;)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:03 pm
Marullus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am Comments? Thoughts? If you allowed multiclass i was thinking of 1 rogue / 2 wizard, or rogue 3 arcane trickster archetype.
Before I shift more, checking the multiclass question. Can I do Rogue/Wizard/Wizard and Wizard from here out?
Want those skills, eh? :) Okay, I'll approve it. Rogue 1, Wizard2 and from now on. Same with ateno's character, Fighter2, Wizard1 from now on.

Oh, wait rogue 3 arcane trickster! I've never had one of those in a game, sure do that! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by Edeldhur »

So… Can I be a Ranger then?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Eris wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 pm Want those skills, eh? :) Okay, I'll approve it. Rogue 1, Wizard2 and from now on. Same with ateno's character, Fighter2, Wizard1 from now on.

Oh, wait rogue 3 arcane trickster! I've never had one of those in a game, sure do that! :)
Thanks! I will do Rogue/Wizard/Wizard.

...I think the half-caster archetypes would require a lot of hacking of the hardmode spell rules. Arcane Trickster is probably a mess. :)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by hedgeknight »

Maybe I missed it in the threads, but what do we do about Hit Points? Max at 1st level or roll for all three? When I used the roller, it said my MAX HP is 36.
Winter is coming...

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Eris »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 am Maybe I missed it in the threads, but what do we do about Hit Points? Max at 1st level or roll for all three? When I used the roller, it said my MAX HP is 36.
If you use the software I recommended it rolls for all three, but adds in the Con bonus, I think. Which is fine for the beginning characters, but from then on, roll and take no Con bonus. This will give slightly lower HP levels as you go up, but that will be offset a bit by me using slightly lower HP for monsters.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Edeldhur »

Edeldhur wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 pm So… Can I be a Ranger then?
Was that a yes? :D

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by hedgeknight »

Eris wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm If you use the software I recommended it rolls for all three, but adds in the Con bonus, I think. Which is fine for the beginning characters, but from then on, roll and take no Con bonus. This will give slightly lower HP levels as you go up, but that will be offset a bit by me using slightly lower HP for monsters.
HP for 2nd/3rd levels: [2d10]=12
Add to 13 for first level, and he has 25 HP. Cool.
Winter is coming...

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by shaidar »

Hi Eris

I just wanted to check that I understood the hardcode cleric casting rules. They seem to me to be very like 1E rules:

Access to all spells.
Memorise a limited number of spells from the cleric list (Level +2)
Roll to cast (you don't loose the spell if you pass)

What about spell slots?

This sort of infers that you wouldn't memorise multiples of the same spell.

What about domain spells? Do they simply not count towards the number you can memorise each day? Do you still lose them if you seriously fail the casting roll?

I assume cantrips remain as the basic rules?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Eris »

You did read the post in House Rules, Magic & Miracles, yes?

I've inserted answers in your quote below...
shaidar wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:27 am Hi Eris

I just wanted to check that I understood the hardcode cleric casting rules. They seem to me to be very like 1E rules:

Access to all spells. Almost all, at the moment all, but I reserve the right to drop, add or change as we go

Memorise a limited number of spells from the cleric list (Level +2) Correct, at 3rd Level that is 5.

Roll to cast (you don't loose the spell if you pass) Correct, and sometimes not even when you fail.

What about spell slots? No slots! We don't need no sticking slots! :) All spells cast at the level they are, not higher or lower. Memorize what you want to cast that day from whatever levels you have.

This sort of infers that you wouldn't memorise multiples of the same spell. Ah! But you can lose a particular instance of the memorized spell if you roll low enough. If you want to keep casting it that day and have memorized it more than once you can continue to cast it. But not Tier 0 or 1, only higher Tiered spells can be forgotten, see below.

What about domain spells? Do they simply not count towards the number you can memorise each day? Do you still lose them if you seriously fail the casting roll? If you want to cast any spell, it needs to be one you memorized, domain or not, cantrip or higher level and all count toward the 5 you can memorize.

I assume cantrips remain as the basic rules? Cantrips work like any other spell, the DM is 0 on them, so 10+ succeeds, otherwise they have all the same limitations. I will point out though, you can't roll low enough to forget a Cantrip (or Tier 1 spell for that matter) you've memorized for that day...Mishap table, yes, but won't forget, unless that is part of the mishap. (Your d20 roll must be less than the Spell Tier, and you can't roll less than 1!)
In some ways I'm being more generous than Hardcore RAW. However, if this works out to be too limiting, I can change it, but that's how I'm starting things off.
Last edited by Eris on Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I hate messing up your and you're!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by shaidar »

Thanks for you patience and explanation. I read everything and just managed to get myself confused for some reason.

Return to “The Silver Vale (5e)”