Chapter 2b - The Cranberry Bog

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 2b - The Cranberry Bog

#1 Post by AleBelly »

Monty and Booth

Monty and Booth find themselves taking the route through the cranberry bogs. They should offer quick passage as they've not yet been flooded for the harvest, but they will offer little cover.

As the hunter and ditch digger make their way through the bog, they see the fruiting bushes, destined to go unharvested this year. But they have more on their minds. As they round a group of bushes, they come face to face with a pair of three foot tall, dog headed humanoids with red eyes, seemingly grumbling to each other in a whiny, incomprehensible language. The are clad in purple-trimmed leather armor with poor quality and short swords at their belts. With them is a chicken. It's large for its size, and has disconcerting, glowing purple eyes.

GM rolls dice.

Our pair of adventurers have surprised them! Actions?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2b - The Cranberry Bog

#2 Post by ybn1197 »

I assume they have seen us?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by AleBelly »

Yes. You can attack, attempt to talk, attempt to flee, or take other options though.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I think that trying to avoid the creatures might be my preference here.

Monty Booth
Monty is disconcerted by the chicken with glowing purple eyes. He whispers quietly to Booth, "I'm gonna run for it". He takes off running, giving them a wide berth, hoping that he can get some distance between the dog headed creatures and the chicken before they have time to fully react.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

Standing there, caught off-guard by Monty's sudden departure, Booth figures it would be better to run and live another day. He charges after Monty hoping the creatures won't catch up with them.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I am happy to revise the approach if you want to respond to Monty declaring he is going to run. I don’t mind revising my posts if AleBelly allows it. I don’t want to drive the direction we take without your input.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ybn1197 »

No, that is fine. In my mind, I picture it as they come upon the Kobolds and chicken and they stand there a moment dumbfounded. Monty then tells Booth he's taking off and runs for it. Booth, still struck dumb by the scene, realizes he's by himself and then takes off running after Monty.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Samwell Turleton »

That works for me...why would a chicken have glowing eyes!?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by AleBelly »

Monty and Booth take advantage of their surprise and begin to run. The small humanoids emit a sharp bark of surprise and begin to give chase. Looking over their shoulder, they see one of the dog-men pull the other one back just as it's about to run in front of the purple-eyed chicken that's also in pursuit. On this day of many firsts, Monty and Booth are pretty sure this is also the first time they've been pursued by a chicken. As they flee, they hear the roar of flame. If looking over their shoulder, they see an amazing - and terrifying - sight. The chicken breathes a jet of fire in their direction!
fire-breathing chicken.jpeg
fire-breathing chicken.jpeg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Please give a Luck roll (modified appropriately) of DC=10 to see if the duo are out of range of the fire.
If not, a Dex check of DC=14 to see if they dodge the flame.
If both fail, please give a 1d6 for damage. Don't forget to burn your Luck as needed.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Monty Baker
Monty hears the bark of surprise and keeps running without looking back. He then hears a more ominous "Buk buk ba-gawk!" before he feels the warmth of the flame trying to cook his behind. "You are supposed to be the one getting roasted", Monty yells back as he hurries on.

Luck (Flame) [1d20+2]=1+2=3
Dexterity [1d20-2]=7-2=5

I am going to spend 9 luck on the dexterity roll. I would spend 7 on the luck roll, however, I assume Luck isn't supposed to modify a 1 up from a failure. Let me know if I can spend that there or if the failure on the luck roll leads to damage regardless. Miserable rolls. I think the dice roller might be rolling trick dice.
Last edited by Samwell Turleton on Wed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

Booth turns and sees the chicken following. He is momentarily surprised by the courage of the chicken but that does not last long as he sees it belch fire. He turns back to keep his eyes forward and redoubles his effort to get away.

Luck: [1d20]=17 vs. DC10 Dex: [1d20]=13 vs. DC14 Damage: [1d6]=3

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by AleBelly »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:15 pm Monty Baker
Monty hears the bark of surprise and keeps running without looking back. He then hears a more ominous "Buk buk ba-gawk!" before he feels the warmth of the flame trying to cook his behind. "You are supposed to be the one getting roasted", Monty yells back as he hurries on.

Luck (Flame) [1d20+2]=1+2=3
Dexterity [1d20-2]=7-2=5

I am going to spend 9 luck on the dexterity roll. I would spend 7 on the luck roll, however, I assume Luck isn't supposed to modify a 1 up from a failure. Let me know if I can spend that there or if the failure on the luck roll leads to damage regardless. Miserable rolls. I think the dice roller might be rolling trick dice.
Correct...a fumble is a fumble and luck can't be used to raise the score. Exception is spellcasters who can burn a luck point to avoid the consequences of rolling a 1 on a spell check.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by AleBelly »

Booth watches as the flame heads directly towards Monty. Heat from the fire washes over both of them, and Monty hits the ground to dodge...but unfortunately that's exactly where the chicken bellowed its flames! Just before they reach Booth, a strong gust of wind blows across the bog, pushing the flames off the path. Cranberries on a nearby brush crackle and pop from the flame, but the lucky wind has spared Booth! Please deduct 9 Luck points from Booth's total...well spent!

With a head start, they should be able to outpace the enemies!

From here, it is a matter of stamina to outrun the enemies. Given their occupations require stamina (ditch digger and hunter), the DC level for this is 5.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by ybn1197 »

AleBelly wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:53 pm Please deduct 9 Luck points from Booth's total...well spent!
Booth didn't spend luck. His roll was a 17 vs. DC10

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by AleBelly »

Yep, you're right. That should read 'Monty.' Typed the wrong name there.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I marked it on the Monty character sheet as 'X remaining' luck in red text. Let me know if there is a convention that other people are using.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Monty Booth
Monty feels his legs begin to tire as he runs but he finds some extra strength thinking about those purple eyes of the fire breathing chicken.

Running [1d20]=5 -1 for a result of 4
I am going to use another luck to counteract my stamina -1 bringing him to 7 remaining luck.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by AleBelly »

Booth and Monty have longer legs than their pursuers, and begin to easily outpace them. Monty begins to worry as the sooty air irritates his lungs, but after a few spells of coughing he's able to retain his running pace. Within a minute they have lost the two kobolds and the purple-eyed chicken, picking their way through the bog to the wagon.

We'll pause here for now.

As for luck, I would keep your rolled luck with a strikethrough font and put the current number next to it.

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”