New Year, New Faces, New Troubles

hedgeknight
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: New Year, New Faces, New Troubles

#41 Post by Computer +1 »

While boarding the boat Yarl gives Trueshot a friendly pat on the shoulder. Glad yer ok True.

He listens to the tale of Balduran and finds himself looking the same direction as the statue. He catches himself doing it and curses himself as a fool. He has enough to worry about without looking into the unknown.

The arrival of the Fist is a common annoyance. They must not have anything else to do...
Shopping and a meal is his curt reply.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm In the City, Oh-Oh!
Talian leans toward Tommy. "Maybe I should have kept on running. This sounds like a dangerous city."
its interesting i'll tell you that, besides its a beautiful day, lets go see what it brings

Tommy winks at Tell and nods to the captain as he starts to get up and extends his arm to Talian inviting her to walk together
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by Edeldhur »

Telurion

hedgeknight wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm
Diamond looks at Yarl and Hazm and then at the newcomer Telurion. "Why don't ya go and keep an eye on Flint fer me? See what he's really up to in the city, eh? Telurion is it? Ya want to earn some coin and get back in me good graces fer trying to blow up me warehouse?" she says, jingling a coin purse on her belt. "I can hear yer belly growling. Ya hungry?"
Telurion nods. "I will not pass on a chance to get back at that Flint character. And some food sounds great"
Diamond Urchin reaches into a leather purse at her belt and fetches out two gold coins. She grabs Telurion's hand and stuffs the coins in his palm. "Fer breakfast. Ten times that fer information on Flint."
"We have a deal" - Telurion snatched the gold coins with a nod - "We'll find him"
hedgeknight wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pmYarl, Hazm, and Telurion climb in and Trueshot pushes off the bank and is soon moving in the current toward the main city of Baldur's Gate. They pass by the statue of Balduran Looks Out to Sea.

Balduran Looks Out to Sea.png

"It is said, Balduran changes his position and line of sight every first day of the new year," Trueshot says, noting Telurion's gaze. "It is unknown what he sees, Many have tried to trace his line of sight; most have come up empty-handed."
"I had never heard such a story" - the man pondered for a few moments - "But it sounds like an exciting prospect - have you ever considered it? Following the line of sight, and see where it takes you?"
hedgeknight wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pmWithin a couple more minutes, the boat arrives in the Grey Harbor under the watchful eye of the Seatower. A fast moving skiff approaches out of the fog, heading straight for the boat. There are three men aboard, all dressed in the livery of the Flaming Fist. They pull up alongside the boat and one of the men asks, "Your business in the city today?"
Computer +1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm While boarding the boat Yarl gives Trueshot a friendly pat on the shoulder. Glad yer ok True.

The arrival of the Fist is a common annoyance. They must not have anything else to do...
Telurion nodded in agreement with a friendly smile.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Travels light with just a basic kit duffel bag slung over a shoulder, a bandolier of silvered crossbow bolts across his torso. His miniature hand-held crossbow and boarding axe dangling loosely by one hip under his oil-skin trenchcoat. In his hand he leans upon a serrated blade headed spear, the whalebone shaft carved with numerals and geometric runes, compass marks, busty mermaids and an octopus faced pirate.

Unless there is reason to stay in the tavern longer, he will follow Tommy & Tali with Tell about the Gate's bazaars and alleys.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by hedgeknight »

By the Dock of the Bay...
Computer +1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm The arrival of the Fist is a common annoyance. They must not have anything else to do...
The Flaming Fist looks the dinghy over and then back at Yarl. "You're the one they call Blacktongue." It is a statement and not a question. The man works his mouth a moment and then says, "Follow us in. I know the Urchin is good for the fee."
The Gray Wavers turn their boat and lead the Rats into the harbor proper. They pass several docks, including the one leading toward the Low Lantern. A place which has only gained more notoriety since the deaths of Amrik Vanthampur and ol' Straightstick.
There is a "Y" dock and just past that, the Gray Wavers turn around. "You're free to dock in the corner near Jopalin's. We have men stationed here and there. It's safe and secure. Let the Urchin know that, savvy?"

Trueshot steers the dinghy into the small harbor, where there are dock hands waiting to help them tie off.
"Well, well, lookee here boys!" comes a familiar voice to Yarl's ears.

Harbor Hand Haim.png
Harbor Hand Haim.png (138.97 KiB) Viewed 123 times

The Half-Orc kingpin looks up and sees Haim, the leader of the Harbor Hands crew that works the docks. Haim is grinning as two of his boys tie off the dinghy. "Hain't seen you since the coup with Ol' Straightstick. How's the Urchin treatin' you and the rest of the Rats?"
Off in the distance, there seems to be a ruckus taking place...or one is about to start because the voices are growing louder.

In the distance...

Lesh is the first to react to the noises outside the Elfsong Tavern. "Fun could be." he offers and not to his surprise, Tommy is eager to check it out, encouraging Talian to join them. Ambergris hoists his simple gear, although if one were to look a little closer, they would find the sea captain's gear to be anything but ordinary.
Out in the street, the noise grows louder about a block away, toward the docks, and Tommy leads the way with Talian, Lesh, and Ambergris in tow. Ducking down an alley and coming out a little further on, the companions are able to get a little closer to the cause of the ruckus. They are surprised to see a group of folks who are clearly out of place.
CW Priest.jpg
CW Priest.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 123 times
CW Reaver.jpg
CW Reaver.jpg (7.48 KiB) Viewed 123 times
A man dressed in a skirt(?) of seaweed and covered in barnacles leads a half-dozen others, purposefully heading toward the docks. The six figures following him appear to be humans, both males and females, two of which are lugging a large crate between them. All are armed with strange looking swords and gear and folks are shouting at them.

"Go back to where you belong!"
"The sea is calling ya!"
"You forgot to turn off the water spigot!"
"Your mother was a hamster!"
And so forth, but the group of seven ignore the taunts and jests; in fact, they seem to be enjoying them, grinning widely and looking the jesters in the face as they walk by.

Actions?

Telurion
>
"I had never heard such a story" - the man pondered for a few moments - "But it sounds like an exciting prospect - have you ever considered it? Following the line of sight, and see where it takes you?"
Trueshot shrugged at Telurion's questions. "There are stories about following the gaze of Balduran...none have happy endings for those who went looking."
Attachments
BG Docks.jpg
BG Docks.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 123 times
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Sees the barnacled and seaweed covered priest. He doesn't know whether such is an omen of good or ill. His own dabblings with 'the deep' left him bereft of memories, a hand and gifted Warlockian insights.

Ambergris: Wisdom check vs 12 attribute [1d20]=15

At present he cannot fathom (pun intended) the priest's motivations. He calls out using his 'deep speech' vocabulary, tossing a copper coin in the priest's direction. the coin is actually the material component to the Detect Thoughts spell which I cast to probe the figure's initial reasonings and emotions.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy
seeing the crowd gathering, Tommy pulls his cloak hood as he tries to blend in as best he can (being a tabaxi and all)
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Tell
Guide
Guide

#48 Post by Tell »

Lesh
He stops and looks curiously at the priest, humans, and the large crate wondering at the insults being hurled their way. They two groups of humans look pretty much the same to him. Resting his Macuahuitl on his sholder he stops besides Ambergris and stares at the crate.

Perception: [1d20+5]=12+5=17

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Computer +1 »

The Half-Orc kingpin looks up and sees Haim, the leader of the Harbor Hands crew that works the docks. Haim is grinning as two of his boys tie off the dinghy. "Hain't seen you since the coup with Ol' Straightstick. How's the Urchin treatin' you and the rest of the Rats?"
Off in the distance, there seems to be a ruckus taking place...or one is about to start because the voices are growing louder.
Yarl climbs out of the dinghy and his face breaks into a smile when he sees Haim. He offers his hand in greeting. Well met Haim, ya sea dog. He answers, Urchin is a real one, tough, dependable and knows her shit. The Rats are good gettin' everything unfucked an' in order. He points out Hazm. Thats Hazm, new to the crew. Hazm meet the infamous Haim of the Harbor Hand. The only other fucker almost as wonderful as I am.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by Edeldhur »

Telurion stands quietly to the side as the others engage in conversation - he absently peers into the distance as the ruckus seems to gain momentum - "What the heck is going on over there?" - he mutters to himself.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 pm Ambergris
Sees the barnacled and seaweed covered priest. He doesn't know whether such is an omen of good or ill. His own dabblings with 'the deep' left him bereft of memories, a hand and gifted Warlockian insights. Ambergris: Wisdom check vs 12 attribute [1d20]=15
Tell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:39 pm Lesh stops and looks curiously at the priest, humans, and the large crate wondering at the insults being hurled their way. They two groups of humans look pretty much the same to him. Resting his Macuahuitl on his sholder he stops besides Ambergris and stares at the crate.
Perception: [1d20+5]=12+5=17
Ambergris and Lesh study the procession for a few moments, particularly the barnacled priest. Both recognize the priest and his followers as being part of the Cult of the Crushing Wave. Folks have been buzzing about the return of the Elemental Lords of Evil for several months. Seems there has been a resurgence of elemental worship and fervor, particularly in the regions of the North. Both are a bit surprised at how these cultists brazenly walk down the street in broad daylight. Ambergris decides to take action.
At present he cannot fathom (pun intended) the priest's motivations. He calls out using his 'deep speech' vocabulary, tossing a copper coin in the priest's direction. the coin is actually the material component to the Detect Thoughts spell which I cast to probe the figure's initial reasonings and emotions.
Olhydra, Princess of Evil Water hold the key to my heart...and my promotion! When the sea rushes in to claim this despicable city, She will be well-pleased, and Gar will have to recognize he is not the only one with power! These cattle keep braying, oblivious that today is their day of doom!
Computer +1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:19 pm Yarl climbs out of the dinghy and his face breaks into a smile when he sees Haim. He offers his hand in greeting. Well met Haim, ya sea dog. He answers, Urchin is a real one, tough, dependable and knows her shit. The Rats are good gettin' everything unfucked an' in order. He points out Hazm. Thats Hazm, new to the crew. Hazm meet the infamous Haim of the Harbor Hand. The only other fucker almost as wonderful as I am.
Haim laughs, revealing dirty teeth and breath that reeks of onions and fish. Still, he hasn't been much of a problem to Yarl and the Rats. Yarl knows the leader of the Harbor Hands is in the know about the docks, because he pays for the information and takes a cut from the Gray Wavers to make sure his boys don't disrupt business too much.
Edeldhur wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:32 pm
Telurion stands quietly to the side as the others engage in conversation - he absently peers into the distance as the ruckus seems to gain momentum - "What the heck is going on over there?" - he mutters to himself.
The crowd is growing a bit louder and no wonder. There is a group of strange folk heading directly for the docks. A man dressed in what looks like a kilt of seaweed leads them. He has literal barnacles on his flesh and his eyes are deep blue green like the sea. The others are dressed in all manner of leathers, carrying odd weapons; there are six in all. The two in the middle lug a large crate between them. All are smiling at the jeering crowd in their wake.
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Rather than blowing his 'fisherman' cover to the priest by probing his mindset deeper (and giving him a Saving Throw vs my antics plus knowledge of my intrusion), I will instead turn my gaze and mental investigation to the crate they bear.

Concentrating to keep my spell active, I try to peer mentally into whatever 'intelligence' is inside the crate, trying to gauge thoughts and emotions and any intentions of harm.

I am thinking some elemental creature might be inside and released to attack the city and I suspect these CW crazies are intent on some act of martyrdom.

I share my concerns in a whispered voice to Tommy & Lesh, so they can act with the knowledge I gained from understanding the man's unspoken prayer.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:25 pm Ambergris
Rather than blowing his 'fisherman' cover to the priest by probing his mindset deeper (and giving him a Saving Throw vs my antics plus knowledge of my intrusion), I will instead turn my gaze and mental investigation to the crate they bear.
Concentrating to keep my spell active, I try to peer mentally into whatever 'intelligence' is inside the crate, trying to gauge thoughts and emotions and any intentions of harm.
I am thinking some elemental creature might be inside and released to attack the city and I suspect these CW crazies are intent on some act of martyrdom.
I share my concerns in a whispered voice to Tommy & Lesh, so they can act with the knowledge I gained from understanding the man's unspoken prayer.
Focusing his concentration on the crate the elementalists are carrying, reveals no information at all as to the contents inside...other than it may be some type of elemental energy.
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

So an energy rather than a creature. It makes me think of some kind of explosive or summoning power; a thunder-wave to herald in the tsunami, a portal even that might open a rift to some aquatic realm. (Hope not to give GM ideas).

So to conclude my spell, I probably need to confirm my fears and directly assault the priest with a more intense and personal subjection to the Detect Thoughts.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by Edeldhur »

Telurion

hedgeknight wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:05 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:32 pm Telurion stands quietly to the side as the others engage in conversation - he absently peers into the distance as the ruckus seems to gain momentum - "What the heck is going on over there?" - he mutters to himself.
The crowd is growing a bit louder and no wonder. There is a group of strange folk heading directly for the docks. A man dressed in what looks like a kilt of seaweed leads them. He has literal barnacles on his flesh and his eyes are deep blue green like the sea. The others are dressed in all manner of leathers, carrying odd weapons; there are six in all. The two in the middle lug a large crate between them. All are smiling at the jeering crowd in their wake.
"Should we be worried about this?" - Telurion asked those closer to him (Yarl and Trueshot?) - "Or is this some sort of religious procession?"

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy

Tommy moves through the crowd getting closer to the priest dressed in seaweed and establishes a mental connection (Telepathic Speech) 
and using subtle spell casts suggestion (only the sea priest receives the mental suggestion)

"in the upper city, the best place would be the upper city"

OOC:
 Telepathic Speech TCoE, pg. 67
As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while you are within 4 miles of each other). The telepathic connection lasts for 3 minutes

Subtle Spell When you cast a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to cast it without any S or V components.Metamagic - Subtle Spell: (No Action)

Suggestion WIS save DC15
2nd LevelEnchantmentCasting Time:1 actionRange/Area:30ft.Components:V, M(a snake's tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil)Duration:Concentration, up to 8 hoursAttack/Save:WIS 15Source:PHB, pg. 279You suggest a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) and magically influence a creature you can see within range that can hear and understand you. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this effect. The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the spell.The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it pursues the course of action you described to the best of its ability. The suggested course of action can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do.You can also specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. For example, you might suggest that a knight give her warhorse to the first beggar she meets. If the condition isn't met before the spell expires, the activity isn't performed.If you or any of your companions damage the target, the spell ends

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:21 pm So an energy rather than a creature. It makes me think of some kind of explosive or summoning power; a thunder-wave to herald in the tsunami, a portal even that might open a rift to some aquatic realm. (Hope not to give GM ideas).
Oh, no worries about that. I'm way ahead of you. :twisted: :P
So to conclude my spell, I probably need to confirm my fears and directly assault the priest with a more intense and personal subjection to the Detect Thoughts.
Just let me know what you want to do (think); be as specific as you can.
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Computer +1 »

"Should we be worried about this?" - Telurion asked those closer to him (Yarl and Trueshot?) - "Or is this some sort of religious procession?"
Yarl isn't such exactly what is going on but, this is Baldur's Gate, all sorts of shit is always going on and its mostly bad.
Not a fucking clue but it looks like its gonna bad.. He looks at Haim to see his reaction before continuing, Get ready fer toruble.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rex »

Hazm

Hazm looks back at Yarl, "Looks bad is an understatement. We should move back and see what starts this mess getting worse."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Continuing my intrusive Detect Thoughts on the priest.
He will get a wisdom based Saving Throw (vs 8+ modified charisma (+3) and proficiency (+3) = 14+).
A successful ends the spell, a failure and my deeper probing should give me insight into his reasoning, emotional state and 'something that looms large in its mind', which in this instance I am trying to be the specifics about the box and reasons for such a grandiose entrance.

Ambergris: opposed Intelligence check, Int 10 [1d20]=6

If he fails my mental assault, he can oppose further probing with a contested Intelligence check

Ambergris: opposed Intelligence check, Int 10 [1d20]=6

which he should best me at ...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”