Trial Run

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Trial Run

#121 Post by Rodriguez »

No problem, lets just not stay too long with the trail run and start the actual game soon. :)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#122 Post by Bhart »

Hey guys,
Sorry that my posting has slowed. I've been presented with an opportunity to pick up new clients and advance my illustration career. It's an opportunity I just can't pass up. Unfortunately it is taking up all of my time outside of my day job. I've been trying to keep the games moving, but I'm failing.

I really enjoy playing on US and I do not want to abandon my games. So, for the next 2-3 weeks I think I will only be able to post 1-2 times per week max. IF this snail's pace is too slow and you want to leave the game, I understand. My hope is that most of you will be willing to ride it out until I can return to a more frequent posting schedule.

I would also be willing to turn the game over to anyone willing to take the GM seat. I can always start new ones when this project is over!

Thanks for your patience.

-Bill

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by NJWilliam »

No problem here either. I've been too swamped myself to do other than read along the trial run anyway.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by Bhart »

I'm back! The project was much more time consuming than I expected, but it was worth it. I'll post tonight to get things moving again.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#129 Post by Bhart »

The grogs all shift nervously with hands on weapons. They watch each other with caution as the Magi speak.

The largest of the Magi, a very hairy fellow the size of a bear, snorts and grumbles at your protests. The elegant looking female maga in the center holds a hand in his direction and says "Calm yourself brother." The magus on the left is dressed in the deep blue robes of House Tremere. He says nothing but looks you over with a calm confidence, like a cat watching a mouse just before the pounce.

The woman speaks again with a soft smile. "Yes I agree there is no reason we should not solve this in a civil manner. It seems you intend to claim this Vis source. But I assure you good sir the covenant of Fengheld has held rights to these falls since my parens was but an apprentice. So I believe you are quite mistaken to assume we a poachers." She gestures with her left hand and a parchment appears in it with a flash. "Here is the writ from the grand tribunal granting us full rights to harvest from this source"

Each of you please make 2 rolls...
1d10 + Perception + Awareness
1d10 + Perception + (Code of Hermes, Folk Ken, or Organization Lore(the order) if you have them.)
Attachments
ars magica.png
ars magica.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 734 times

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#130 Post by Rodriguez »

Does the "Way of the (Forest)" perk help with the first check? Guess it depends what the check is for but if its not just reading the writ (cant do that anyway) but seeing things on writ like a map of the surrounding woods that is wrong or something like that I guess it could help...

4dice+2perception +1awareness(+3waysoftheforest) =7(10)
5dice+2perception+2folk Ken=9

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by onlyme »

[1d10] = 8
+1 perc + (not sure where awareness is)

[1d10] = 7
+1 perc + 1 folk ken =9

I will edit once I find out the +s I need to add to these.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by onlyme »

Rodriguez wrote:Awareness is a skill like Folk Ken
OK. that explains why I coudnt find it. So, those numbers should be right.

Sorry, this is a bit foreign still.

(also, I will be away from sun-Wed camping. Limited if any access...)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#135 Post by Bhart »

Rodriguez wrote:Does the "Way of the (Forest)" perk help with the first check? Guess it depends what the check is for but if its not just reading the writ (cant do that anyway) but seeing things on writ like a map of the surrounding woods that is wrong or something like that I guess it could help...

4dice+2perception +1awareness(+3waysoftheforest) =7(10)
5dice+2perception+2folk Ken=9
No, way of the forest would not help here.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#136 Post by Bhart »

All 3 of you notice that the grogs 1 and 3 are trying to conceal the fact that they have slowly drawn knives. Your grogs spot this immediately.

[1d10] = 5
5+3 (guile)=8

Flambeau and Rue feel something is wrong about the woman's claim. Maybe it's her smile or how she was so quick to produce a document. What ever it is you get the feeling that she is lying to you.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#137 Post by Rodriguez »

"Oh look: Paper, precious paper! Important things are written down, I have to see..." she says while she slowly moves forward.
She tries to cast a spell unseen when right behind Heinrich. Is that possible? She wants to cdeate a deep fog that creeps up from the river... How difficult would that be?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by onlyme »

SO, Flambeau knows she is lying, and also has a wrathful streak. So, it makes sense that the reaction should be to use force early and often. However, I have no clue what force she has to use...ie how the magic itself works.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#139 Post by Rodriguez »

well, wrathful doesnt necessarily mean aggressive.
The spell list for flambeau is in the rulebook but if no spells sound fitting you can always cas spontaneous and just describe what you want.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#140 Post by Bhart »

Rodriguez wrote:"Oh look: Paper, precious paper! Important things are written down, I have to see..." she says while she slowly moves forward.
She tries to cast a spell unseen when right behind Heinrich. Is that possible? She wants to cdeate a deep fog that creeps up from the river... How difficult would that be?
Yes it's possible but there is a penalty associated with being subtle. See page 83. If you used no gestures or words you would take a -15 penalty to the casting roll. Speaking or using subtle gestures will reduce this penalty to -7 but there is a chance the enemy realizes what you are doing.

The spontaneous spell effect you describe would be a Creo Auram. The level will depend on the range, duration, and target.
Level starts at 3 for creating thick fog.
The range would have to be "sight" since you are being quiet...+3 magnitude= level 10
The duration I think would be at minimum "concentration or diameter"...+1 magnitude = level 15
The target would be "individual"...+0 magnitude = Final Spell Level 15

So your casting total is (Creo+Auram+Stamina+Aura)5+5+0+0=10.
You casting roll would be stress die+10 (-15 or 7) divided by 2 if you take fatigue loss, divided by 5 if you try to avoid fatigue loss.

Yes I know spontaneous magic can be confusing! :?

Return to “Ars Magica - A New Covenant”