OOC Out of Character Chat

TheMyth
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Out of Character Chat

#61 Post by Rex »

TheMyth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:10 am
Rex wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:40 am A psychic spy for Torchwood. I will need to think a bit more on time period. Leaning towards a female just cause.
I tried to boil down the Psychic Traits to help you make your character.

If you wanna throw out some ideas, we can work them out here.

Also, for everyone, let me know if those rules I posted seem clear. It seems like a simple resolution:

attribute + skill + modifiers + 2d6 vs. a target number.

Also, I think Pulp Fantastic might have more uses for Story Points. I need to check that and finish the Bad Traits before we finalize characters and get started.
I think Cloud Men's Minds, Precognition, and Telepathy would be a good mix. What does More than Human do?

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:01 pm
TheMyth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:10 am
Rex wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:40 am A psychic spy for Torchwood. I will need to think a bit more on time period. Leaning towards a female just cause.
I tried to boil down the Psychic Traits to help you make your character.

If you wanna throw out some ideas, we can work them out here.

Also, for everyone, let me know if those rules I posted seem clear. It seems like a simple resolution:

attribute + skill + modifiers + 2d6 vs. a target number.

Also, I think Pulp Fantastic might have more uses for Story Points. I need to check that and finish the Bad Traits before we finalize characters and get started.
I think Cloud Men's Minds, Precognition, and Telepathy would be a good mix. What does More than Human do?
Remember that the Psychic trait is a prerequisite to each of those.

"More Than Human" is like "Alien" but for humans. It lets your character become Wonder Woman or one of the X-Men or Frankenstein's Monster.

Scores can be raised above 6, and Creature/Alien Traits can be purchased.

Here's most of the official write-up:

More Than Human
(Special Good Trait)

The character is something truly special. Perhaps they’re the direct descendant of a Greek god, or a bizarre animal/human hybrid, or were raised by scientists to be the next stage of human development. Perhaps they’re from another world, or are a modern homunculus, rescued from a glass tube found in the lair of a mad scientist. Whatever their origin, the character is not quite human, and may be quite a bit more.

Effect: The More Than Human Trait is a ‘Gateway’, opening a selection of additional Creature Traits that are normally unavailable to player characters and allowing Attributes over
level 6. It is a Good Trait, and costs just 2 Character Points to purchase. The Gamemaster should approve this Trait.

Unless the character has the Strange Appearance Trait, they look pretty much the same as everyone else on Earth. As a downside, if it is discovered that they are special, they may sufer severe consequences (such as being captured by the government and experimented upon, ostracised by the Church or pursued forever-more by the press).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rex »

So, psychics are expensive. I will drop Precognition then and I am good with being a "regular" human psychic.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by cybersavant »

for future ref - for psychic abilities - do you only take the trait once, or each time you take a psionic ability?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by TheMyth »

cybersavant wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:38 am for future ref - for psychic abilities - do you only take the trait once, or each time you take a psionic ability?
Psychic Training is a 1CP trait that is basically a psychic defense shield.

Psychic is a 2CP trait that includes "Psychic Training" and adds the ability to Read Minds. This trait is a "gateway" trait (like Alien or Robot or More Than Human) that allows the purchase of a specialized groups of traits -- in this case, the psychic traits. Basically, "Psychic" is the prerequisite for most of the psychic traits. (There are a few exceptions.)

It's expensive, but every trait does give something (unlike in other games).

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by TheMyth »

I think I have everything posted that needs to be posted!

I have unlocked the Character Sheets thread. Post your character there, and we can work out the final kinks.

As always, just ask for anything else you need. We can always shake out the bugs during the intro scenario.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rex »

I will plan on working on mine over the weekend.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#68 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I think mine is all good other than me coming up with a name and or if our humble GM needs me to flesh out more of a backstory.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by TheMyth »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:45 pm I think mine is all good other than me coming up with a name and or if our humble GM needs me to flesh out more of a backstory.
Simple is good. Gives you the chance to make something up in game.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by TheMyth »

Cybersavant posted the first character sheet!

Huzzah!

Now, let's discuss Gadgets and something called "Trappings."

Rorexsth is listed as having the following Gadgets, BUT.... He doesn't need them!

Lockpick (Minor Gadget); Electronic AI Lockpick (Major Gadget); Engineer’s Mate (Minor Gadget)

In the Doctor Who game, virtually every special item is crafted as a Gadget, a special device providing some sort of ability the user does not already have.

But....in Pulp Fantastic, characters are assumed to have "tools of the trade" to use each of their skills - Trappings. This idea is so much better when it comes to common tools.

In Rorexsth's case, he already has Subterfuge-3 (which is what the AI Lockpick provides) and he is already Technically Adept (which is what Engineer's Mate provides).

Should he invest Story Points into devices that duplicate things he can already do without them? I say no!

This is where the incredibly vague Trappings rules come in....

Basically, Rorexsth has a set of tools (like in a small case...or perhaps a simple multitool?) with which to perform the skills Technology and Subterfuge. And he even has some sort of handheld computer with which to use Knowledge and Science.

In fact, with the Trappings of a simple multitool (like the simple sonic screwdriver he already has!), a Datapad might be more appropriate. Or make it a wrist computer? Or a card-shaped holo-emitter with an AI interface?

It seems like all he really needs is a device with the "Scan" ability; although, technically, eyes and ears suffice. But he's a hi-tech gadgeteer, so a device seems better suited.

GreyWolfVT

#71 Post by GreyWolfVT »

TheMyth wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:27 am
GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:45 pm I think mine is all good other than me coming up with a name and or if our humble GM needs me to flesh out more of a backstory.
Simple is good. Gives you the chance to make something up in game.
Works for me. :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Sheet is up. Still more to do and I haven't counted points yet.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:12 pm Sheet is up. Still more to do and I haven't counted points yet.
No prob. Remember that Psychic includes Psychic Training. (so 1CP for PsyTrain + 1CP for being full psychic, total 2CP).

GreyWolfVT

#74 Post by GreyWolfVT »

my sheet is still in progress I'm not 100% sure how to get the rest of my scores based on the prior posts I made for character ideas.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by TheMyth »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:02 pm my sheet is still in progress I'm not 100% sure how to get the rest of my scores based on the prior posts I made for character ideas.
We can work on it here....

Distribute 18 pts among the 6 Attributes.

Then spread 18 more points among skills.

Then we can see what is missing, what needs to be added or adjusted, and which traits (good and bad) can help smooth out the concept.

GreyWolfVT

#76 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright I think I distributed the points correctly. Though I didn't adjust for bonuses or minuses from traits.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by TheMyth »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:29 pm Alright I think I distributed the points correctly. Though I didn't adjust for bonuses or minuses from traits.
Okay, the SKILLS add up to 18, that is fine as is.

ATTRIBUTES also add up to 18, with these base numbers:
AWARENESS 3
COORDINATION 4
INGENUITY 4 (+1 Vinv.) (+2CP)=7
PRESENCE 2
RESOLVE 3 (+2CP)=5
STRENGTH 2

You now have 6 more CHARACTER POINTS to spend.

You take the Vinvocci Species Package costing 3 CHARACTER POINTS:
Vinvocci
Ingenuity +1 (+1)
Alien (+2)
Alien/Strange Appearance: green, spiky skin (-2)
Boffin/Gadgeteer (+2)
Technically Adept (+1)
Eccentric (-1)

That leaves 3 more CHARACTER POINTS.

You suggested wanting the following:
Ingenuity +2 (+2)
Resolve +2 (+2)
Fast Healer, major: heal 1 point damage per game hour (+2)
Resourceful Pockets (+1)

3-7= -4 You need 4 points of BAD TRAITS to balance the character.

I suggested the following, and you liked them:

Dark Secret, minor: Alien hiding on 21st century Earth (-1)
Obligation, minor: Obey rules of contact set forth by the Shadow Proclamation (-1)
Adversary, minor: Torchwood has enemies (-1)
Dependancy, minor: At least 1 hour/day of sunlight (-1)

And now The Shimmer.

It could be a Weird Tech device (cost: 1CP) allowing disguise as a single human who looks like a smooth-skinned version of Bingkit's actual form.

Or

It could be a Gadget (cost: 1 Story Point, which gets stored in the device for use WITH the device) that initially allows disguise as a single human who looks like a smooth-skinned version of Bingkit's actual form. BUT - as a Gadget - it can be meddled with via jiggery-pokery (jury-rigging) to have other uses (like other forms or perhaps even acquiring real shapeshifting abilities).

Personally, I like it as a Gadget to provide you with more creative options.

Does this help?

One thing I thought of....from which time frame is Bingkit from?

Before the Battle of Canary Wharf?
After the Battle?
Before the events of Children of Earth?
After Harkness leaves Earth but before Miracle Day?
Some later time during DW's tenure?
From way before?

GreyWolfVT

#78 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I was thinking possibly Before the events of Children of Earth? or at the very least before Harkness leaves Earth.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by TheMyth »

Rex, we need to finish your character....

Attributes:24
Skills: 20
Experienced: -3SP, +2skill, +2 CP

Good Traits: 2+1+3 = 5

Bad Traits:

Distinctive (Minor) - something very striking or obvious, -2 penalty to blend in
Good Samaritan (Minor) - help needy or lose Story Points
Insatiable Curiosity (Minor) - must know what's happening, (ING+RES-2) to resist

These are -3. At this point, the character is balanced!

These next 2 Bad Traits might be -2, -3, or -4:

Adversary* (Minor or Major) - recurring opponent of middling or high power
Owes Favor (Minor or Major) - small debt vs. significant bond

You mentioned wanting to be a spy, but then nothing much else.

How about she works for an organization called PROBE? - the Preternatural Research Bureau ( https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Preterna ... rch_Bureau ) And we never established her country of origin or residence.

We can develop an Adversary and Owed Favor from there....

Oh, and whatever points gained from those two bad traits are EXTRA...to buy more Good Traits!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Probe, late 20th century or early 21st is good with me. I have to go in to work a little early today but will be back on after work around midnight EST. Maybe her adversary could be the bureaucrats trying to shut the agency down? It seems to be a recurring them for Probe. Maybe the significant favor would be to someone important who got her the job in the first place?

Return to “TheMyth's Wayfarers (Dr.Who RPG/Vortex)”