And So It Begins: Eastdale

grokkngrognard
grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

And So It Begins: Eastdale

#1 Post by grokkngrognard »

From North, West, and South, you have come to the town of Eastdale of the Middenmark. Each of you have arrived with a purpose known only to yourselves. You are tired and weary as you cross the gate's threshold as clouds pregnant with rain roll above across a leaden sky. Somewhere within the town you can hear the ringing peal of steel hammering steel, of merchants crying out their wares, and the bleats of livestock in their pens. Aromas of all types fill the air, some not so great.

OOC: This is the start of the game, your arrival to the town of Eastdale. Please give a short description and reason why your character has travelled to Eastdale. I have provided background information in other threads for you to use. Try to be a bit immersive. And importantly, have fun.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Re: And So It Begins: Eastdale

#2 Post by TheMyth »

Aelfric walked through the town absorbing the sights and sounds as he looked for a place to spend the night. Clad in his evergreen robes, his silver-blond hair whipping freely in the wind, he marvelled at the bustling human community.

By chance, Aelfric had traveled with a trade caravan from Raven's Pass to Eastdale. Now he prayed Fortuna's favor would find him somewhere to recover from the journey. Tomorrow he will have to find some way make some coin. His purse was quite light at the moment....

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Diaara

Diaara was hanging out between the inn and the main gate, keeping an eye out for anyone new and interesting to arrive in Eastdale. Like most days she was mostly board and broke. When in walks a an elf of all things, in fancy green robes and billowing white hair. Why he might even be an Elf King. She decided then to figure out a way to introduce herself, just to break the boredom mostly as everyone knows that elves are untrustworthy in the extreme. But, why not, maybe Fortuna would smile on her for once. She lets him pass and then follows along.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by gurusql »

Joznaic (or Joe)

Joznaic or "Joe" as he prefers to be called is an average looking dwarf with brown hair. His beard is neat and extends down to the top of his stomach. He enters Eastdale with a smile on his face. The best place fellow adventurers he assumes would be the local tavern. He mumbles to himself, "What did Dad say the name was?". He heads for the center of town being watchful for the local thieves as he does not want to fall victim to their craft.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Tennyson, Human, Magic-User

Today marks the first day of his twentieth year -- a monumental day in his life, as his mother agreed that, once he reached this age, he was free to begin his life of exploration, should he still want to. She assumed his youthful curiosities would fade with age.

Little did she know, the allure of the rumors of Dragon’s Teeth Henge only grew stronger as the years passed.

For Tennyson heard rumors that his magical abilities can be confirmed -- and perhaps even enhanced! -- simply by visiting there. Even if untrue, the site has sparked his curiosity and he hasn't been able to shake the desire to find out for himself.

At first light this morning, after bidding his mother an emotional farewell, Tennyson took his first ever steps outside the borders of his hometown of Kirkliston. Traveling alone, he nervously followed the round away from home heading north-east, which he was told would eventually bends back south and lead directly to Eastdale, the half-way point en route to his planned destination.

Having just now arrived safely, the highbrow human passes through the northern entrance of Eastdale and takes a moment to survey his new surroundings. He pays particular attention to the types of folks that live here -- is he, as a human, now a minority? Does there appear to be capable, adventuring type people he might be able to tempt into joining him?

The larger building with two taller, stone towers to his left first captures his attention; as does the impressively domed structure to his right. He definitely makes a mental note to survey, and potentially pay a visit to each.

First things first, however. Tired, after what to him was a tremendously long journey, he scans the immediate area beyond -- looking left to right, seeking a place of lodging. As a bonus, he figures a tavern or inn or hostel of some sort will double as an excellent site to inquire about Dragon’s Teeth Henge, and potentially begin securing a crew to accompany him before continuing the next stage of his venture.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by grokkngrognard »

One by one, each of you find which you seek...the Saucy Wench, a 3-story tavern located at the center of town. You enter and are immediately welcomed by the smell of sawdust on the floor, of spicy pipe smoke, and the mouthwatering collection of aromas from the kitchen. There are the sounds of talking, from hushed tones to raucous shouts and laughter. Two young girls expertly ply the growing crowd, deftly avoiding any errant hands while serving those around them with both panache and elan. At the bar is a clean-shaven man of middle years wearing a stained apron around his slender waist. He notices everyone entering his tavern and is quick with a genial nod and smile.

"I haven't seen you here before," he says while wiping out a tankard or stein with a bar towel. "If you're new to Eastdale, welcome to the Saucy Wench. I'm the owner and Blackburn's me name." Taking a glance at a sand clock nearby, he gives you a bigger smile. "Fortuna's smiling upon you, mate, as your timing couldn't be better. We're a dry town mostly, till evening when the casks are made ready. What can I draw ye'? Beer, ale, wine?"

Actions?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

grokkngrognard wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:02 am One by one, each of you find which you seek...the Saucy Wench, a 3-story tavern located at the center of town.
I'm working on my response.

In the meantime, however, can you confirm this is location #1 on the map?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Diaara

I am planning on playing off of someone else's response. But just a reminder that Diaara is from Eastdale so I assume she is familiar with the locations, the Innkeeper etc.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by TheMyth »

Aelfric

"Greetings, Mister Blackburn," Aelfric says with a smile. "I'll have a glass of wine. How much do I owe you?"

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by grokkngrognard »

dmw71 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:10 pm
I'm working on my response.

In the meantime, however, can you confirm this is location #1 on the map?

[/quote]

Yes it is. I thought I had included the keyed locations list.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by grokkngrognard »

Rex wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:48 am Diaara

I am planning on playing off of someone else's response. But just a reminder that Diaara is from Eastdale so I assume she is familiar with the locations, the Innkeeper etc.
So she is. I’m going to post a different opener for you. Watch for it.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by grokkngrognard »

TheMyth wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:18 am Aelfric

"Greetings, Mister Blackburn," Aelfric says with a smile. "I'll have a glass of wine. How much do I owe you?"
“Tich,” he replied with a wave of his hand. “For first timers it’s on the house.” Blackburn rests his elbows on the counter before adding, “Wot brings you to Eastdale, traveller?”

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by gurusql »

Joe

"Blackburn very nice to make your acquaintance. I will never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last. My friends call me Joe and I came down from the Citadel Silver looking to explore around the Dragon's Teeth Henge if Fortuna's smiling."

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by grokkngrognard »

Blackburn sees the halfling enter his establishment and simply touches a forefinger to his brow in acknowledgment.

“Diaara!” A strawberry-blonde beauty with a wild flower tucked into her hair walks by. You know Ivanna is one of Cravos Blackburn’s two nieces, but unlike the ebullient carefree nature of her flame-haired sister Skye this one relies on her sarcastic wit and dark humor. You also know the two sisters are not that kind of barmaid though Skye loves the booze. The more she imbibes the flirtier she gets and that brings its own troubles.

”Where’ve you been lately? Staying out out of trouble I hope!” Ivanna gives Diaara a knowing look with a raised eyebrow, pausing a long second for an reply or at least an order before swishing away through the tables.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Diaara

"Ivanna, I hope you are well today. I do my best but Fortuna seems to be frowning upon me lately. Thankfully I do have enough coin for a Mead if you have any."

She moves to a spot near enough to the Elf King to listen in on any conversation.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by grokkngrognard »

gurusql wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:51 am I will never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last.
Blackburn laughs as he pours an ale for the dwarf. A wise thing as ever said.
gurusql wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:51 am My friends call me Joe and I came down from the Citadel Silver looking to explore around the Dragon's Teeth Henge if Fortuna's smiling."
You’ll need all of Fortuna’s smiles, friend, and then some, Blackburn replies with a weariness borne of knowledge on the subject. I know not who holds the henge now. Monsters use it to raid the caravans and groups of adventurers use it as a base of operations. The place constantly changes hands. All in all, tis a dangerous place.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Diaara

Diaara perks up on hearing the discussion about the henge. Could the dwarf be looking to start an adventuring party? She keeps here ears open as she waits for her drink.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by TheMyth »

Aelfric

"I've come from Raven's Pass seeking wealth and adventure," Aelfric tells Blackburn.

"I am Aelfric, a spell weaver," he says as he turns to the dwarf. "What is this Henge you mentioned?"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by gurusql »

Joe

"I have not been there, but as I understand it the Dragon's Teeth Henge is to the northeast of town. I am hoping to find some like minded souls."

Please see the map, it is two hexes away - there is not a scale on the map that I can see.

Joe should then ask someone.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Diaara

This was too much for Diaara. She picks up he mead and wanders over to the dwarf and sits down next to him. "I am Diaara. Sort of down on my luck lately and have been thinking of doing some exploring, I would be more than willing to join you if you are really heading to Dragons Teeth."

Return to “The Forbidden Caverns of Archaia (Dragonslayer RPG)”