House of Cards - PART 2 [in character]

atpollard
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: House of Cards - PART 2 [in character]

#61 Post by Thumper »

You, and everyone else, seem to make an assumption that the repair team is actually dead. Media hype or truth? The team missing with someone’s or something’s blood stain left behind…missing, dead, eaten, or something else? I think it’s safe to say no one but the people were there know what happened. Did they even have any security with them?

As to why the team got taken out? Apparently someone wants the facility out of commission for an extended period. Could be a dozen reasons?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Leitz »

Jim

Having listened for a bit, Jim spoke up. "I have no reservations about discussing the arctic work, but it is very time critical and there's even more logistical work needing to be done up front. Transport, because if the company provides transport and we don't happen to make it back, they save money. Weapons, repair gear, comms, arctic clothing and survival gear, food for longer than we expect to need it, etc."

"This is a high risk, high reward venture that will cost us in preparation and potentially in lost opportunities. I'd suggest we take two minutes for a gut check. If we want this, let's do it. But if anyone feels it's too risky, or if anything else feels off, we pass. Agreed?"

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by Thumper »

Mick:

Wait, what? Don’t tell me you blokes and Sheila are planning to do this job.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by shaidar »

DJ

"It's amongst a number of options we're considering. It pays the most, but has the most risk. I'd expect that the customer would provide tools and the replacement parts."

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by Thumper »

Well, if you’re doing it, may I join in? You’ll need security from man and beast out there.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Hvalreki »

Thumper wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:28 pm Mick:

Wait, what? Don’t tell me you blokes and Sheila are planning to do this job.
Herbie perks up from "the usual" smiling at Mick through a mouth full of fries. "I was in the Army!"

He is distracted when Gloria brings his ice cream for dessert and tucks back in with gusto.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Leitz »

Jim

Jim waited a bit for others to speak, and then he shook his head. "I like the money, but not the risk. Almost everyone on Turquoise lives in the arctic areas, and the life-support and transport systems are extensive and critical. It's almost as dangerous as being in space; it will still kill you quickly. Not quite as fast, but dead is dead. We'd need a vehicle we could trust our lives to, which we would be doing, as well as the tools to do whatever needed. I don't trust either of those things without significant prep work and inspection, which we do not have time for."

He looked at the others. "I could be wrong, but I suggest passing on the arctic venture unless there's gear and transport we have complete confidence in."

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Thumper »

Mick:

High risk equals high fun!

Broulantfort is a big enough town, that I know we can get higher tech cold weather clothing in a few minutes if we act quick and get to the store or outlet before end of business hours…pressure tents too would be easy to purchase and useful as a backup plan in case getting in and out isn’t as quick as we imagine. Outdoors stores carry them in stock. Here in the tropics, cold inventory is probably in back…have to ask for it…not on display. Food and other gear there too. But that would take a decision on your part to execute.

For transport, we walk just right over there to the grav port and charter a grav flyer of grav shuttle to get us there and back. Might be pricey or require a share of the take, but I’m confident we could get a ride.

I’d want to ensure you all had weapons. There’s always a way to find someone dealing on the black market. I’d bet there’s one here in the Colony …we’d just have to ask around.

You guys have to come up with the way to get the tools and parts needed to make the repair. Anyone know where VET is located. Would they provide the specialized parts and tools? Not really my department.

This ain’t as hard as it might sound. Audentes Fortuna Juvat…er, Fortune Favors the Bold the saying goes in some old dead Terran language.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Leitz »

Jim

Jim grinned, and nodded. "They also say 'Two is one, and one is none', which I found quite reasonable in space. If we only have one of something, we are at risk because everything can fail. If we have to, and that is of everything, we have have one and a backup. Yes everything can get done, but we won't know what we forgot until we are on-site. This is doable, but it is a very high risk since we have no preparation for it."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by shaidar »

DJ looks back and forth between Jim and Mick as they talk, then puts his bottle down.

"I'm going to speak to VET and see what the deal is with transport and equipment. They're desperate to get this done to save face with their investors before the army gets called in, so I can't see them screwing us over. Once we have all the information we can make a decision rather than speculating. Who's coming? We can go see our friend Bart. "

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 pm DJ looks back and forth between Jim and Mick as they talk, then puts his bottle down.

"I'm going to speak to VET and see what the deal is with transport and equipment. They're desperate to get this done to save face with their investors before the army gets called in, so I can't see them screwing us over. Once we have all the information we can make a decision rather than speculating. Who's coming? We can go see our friend Bart. "
"Here's a suggestion!"

"Jim and I need to finish a job he started and I promised to help him finish."
says Joe the group, "We'll do that while Val gets the rooms she was talking about, and DJ and Mick see about the Arctic job? Herbie, you need to finish selling your stuff right? Once we all do that, how about us all meeting at the place Val is renting it's, um?"

Joe turns to Val and asks, "Val, exactly where is it that you're renting rooms for us?"

"Does that work for everyone?"
Joe looks around, "At that point, we should have the info we need to decide Artic or no Artic job."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Leitz »

"Sounds good to me," Jim replied.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#73 Post by Thumper »

Ty Mick will accompany DJ to speak with Bart. He’s particularly interested in hearing the composition of the previous repair crew and the security provided to them, what exactly is known about the previous repair crew’s fate and how it is known, the logistics and transport offered by VET.

He’d expect an explanation of what is wrong with the station, what components specifically require repair, etc.

He will negotiate for money’s to be deposited into their bank account within an hour of the station’s return to service.

Ty will try to secure he following items via negotiation with VET:
-Rapid transport to and from the station (he’ll later try to charter a separate on call transportation charter service as a backup)
-VET supply repair components and spares
-VET provided overhead imagery of the site and
maps of the surrounding terrain
-Contractual and bonded deposition of funds into a party’s account within 1 hr of the station’s resumption of service. That bond filed with local municipality and bank
-VET supply two global-reach comm systems (Voice Satellite radios with universal dial up) to be returned to VET or deducted from earnings
-VET’s history of the site including reasons for any previous comm outages

Ty suspects the group is somewhere between the forming and storming phase if group dynamics…had he been educated enough to know and use those terms.
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by Thumper »

atpollard wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:00 am
Ty?
Mick Hogan?

[I just want to make sure the focus doesn't change based on the character.]
Very sorry, yes….Mick

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Mick has pretty much got it covered as to what we want from VET. The only think DJ would like to add is some formal recognition that Bart did the hard work recruiting rather than his manager so he gets a cut of the finders fee.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

3 PM Dame Schmidt Residence [E near #25] - Jim & Joe

#76 Post by atpollard »

3 PM Dame Schmidt Residence - Jim & Joe [E near #25]
Jim and Joe headed over to the Schmidt Residence to make “quick work” of the repair. Things did not go quite as expected. The repair itself went quickly and easily once Jim had a second pair of hands. It was after that things didn’t go quite as planned.

First, there was a small rodent. Who knew that Sophie could run part way up a tree after a rodent! It was impressive to watch and a brief reminder of her feral instincts.

Jim packed while Sophie enjoyed her prey. Joe was relaxing and waiting for Jim to finish when Dame Schmidt returned from the Clinic and insisted that the two of them remain for afternoon tea. Father Cohen would be joining you.

So it came to pass that a quick repair turned into an extended chat over tea and sandwiches with a Dame and a Priest. It was what neither Jim nor Joe expected it to be. While the event was socially polite, both the Dame and Priest were spirited arguers passionate about their beliefs. During discussions that ranged from polite to heated, you discovered …

Dame Schmidt was both Administrator of the Medical Clinic and a capable Practitioner, but not a Doctor.

Father Cohen was more a man of the “street” than might be appropriate for a clergyman … and he could field strip and reassemble a SMG blindfolded … an unusual skill.

Father Cohen disapproved of Jim … he believed that Noblemen should do more with the advantage the Creator had given them to help people, and the Father generally disapproved of ALL armed forces … making Jim “a spoiled, rich, privileged jack-booted thug that was only looking out for himself” in his unvarnished opinion.

Father Cohen and Joe got along much better. You shared a common “middle class” background and “streetwise” experience, and Father Cohen approved of Merchants as people that “worked for a living”.
Speed of repair: roll = [3] … longer than expected.
Difficulty of problem encountered: Roll = [6] … easy.
Cohen reaction to Jim: Roll = [3]
Cohen reaction to Joe: Roll = [11]

(Medic/Knight) Fang Schmidt (Age 29):
Below average (2-5) STR; Average (6-8) DEX, END; Above average (9-C) INT, EDU, SOC.

Father Ren Cohen (Age 31):
Below average (2-5) STR, EDU; Average (6-8) DEX, END, SOC; Above average (9-C) INT.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

3 PM [O near Building 11] - Herbie

#77 Post by atpollard »

3 PM [O near Building 11] - Herbie

Herbie took his cart and retrieved his final tonne of rope. Business was uneventful as he continued to circle the Square in the middle of The Colony and sell a little to each business along the way. He didn’t even reach all the business on the square before he was sold out of rope.

Herbie stopped by Nan to give her her cut of the profit - Herbie and Nan always looked out for one another. Then Herbie headed off to check on his Pressure Tent.

Herbie had located his tent across the street from the Bank [4], it was convenient for depositing his money. While he was away in the Army, they had built an Insurance Office [22] next to his tent … well, it wasn’t RIGHT next to his tent. There were none plots across from the bank and Herbie had the center plot along the road. Nan had said that access to the main road would be important for his cart. Nan was right. The whole area was still heavily wooded, just like Herbie remembered. There was still a Tent on either side of his, just like he remembered.

Jacob waved to Herbie. Jacob was a clerk who worked at two different stores. Jacob told Herbie that they had kept an eye on his place so nobody would mess with it. A family of squatters tried to move in, but they ran them off.

Herebie’s Pressure tent was exactly as he left it. After 4 years, the grounds had become overgrown with weeds and everything was dirty - needing a real good cleaning - but if there was anything that the Army taught it was how to do a real good cleaning. Herbie was practically a Cleaning Expert by this point.

Herbie turned on the Air Filter. Fresh air began to circulate … then a bug as long as his finger crawled out of the vent. … a REAL good cleaning … but it all worked.
Sell Rope rolls were all “average” this last trip, so a little to each place.
Totals …
4 tons Rope purchased for Cr 2000.
4 tons Rope sold for Cr 4000.
Profit = Cr 2000.

Pressure Tent Roll = [10] … high success.

Jacob Thibault (Age 26):
Below average (2-5) STR, DEX, END, SOC; Average (6-8) INT; Above average (9-C) EDU.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

3 PM Bed and Breakfast [26] - Val

#78 Post by atpollard »

3 PM Bed and Breakfast [26] - Val

Val walked the main street towards the B&B [26] to secure additional rooms and extend the rental for a week. As she passed the Construction Trailers [1] she observed a large truck delivering supplies that were being loaded into a storage building. Through the open door she observed that they built pre-assembled sub-assemblies inside the building … presumably to transport and install on the job site. At the moment it was “all hands on deck” for unloading.

As Val continued, two men exiting the Vehicle Parts Store [24] were loudly arguing over the cost and necessity of the part in their box to repair “the Plane”. One man argued that they could have saved money by rebuilding the old one. The other man argued back that HE was the mechanic and it needed a new part. Rebuilt was “legal for private, but illegal for commercial”.

Passing the Garden Center [18], a teenage girl was watering row after row of flowers.

Val barely wasted a glance at Brulatfort Social Services [20] … which still had all the warmth of a POW camp with its regulation doors and regulation fence and “Big Brother” computers.

She was back at the B&B [26] and Mark chuckled at her … accusing Val of making up these - so called - friends and just being a reclusive hermit that wanted to keep everyone away. He was happy to rent all 5 rooms … one Large, one Medium, three Small … for Cr 65 per week, total … a savings of Cr 26 over the Daily rate.

You could save more renting by the month. You get 4 weeks for the price of three!
Mark Mirza (Age 25):
Below average (2-5) END; Average (6-8) STR, DEX; Above average (9-C) INT, EDU, SOC.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

3 PM Brulantfort Employment Services [8] - Mick & D.J.

#79 Post by atpollard »

3 PM Brulantfort Employment Services [8] - Mick & D.J.

Mick and D.J. arrived at Employment Services and were greeted by Supervisor Martin. His delight at seeing you quickly diminished upon discovery that you were NOT ready to commit to the Arctic Comm job … and more to the point, he was not going to get the commission. He abandoned you with a “Bert, deal with this” and returned to his office. Bartholomew was happy to see you again and quietly rolled his eyes at Martin before inviting you to a small conference room to talk in private.

REPAIR CREW:
Bert seeks information on the previous repair crew and discovers that it was a typical three person crew. A Driver, a Technician and a Security Person. Details on the specific individuals are restricted and would require contacting the V.E.T. Personnel Department. As far as what is known about the first repair crew, they traveled by tracked crawler and communicated that they had arrived at the relay station. They informed VET that they were investigating the source of the equipment failure. Standard procedure would be to send another message when the problem had been identified with an estimated time to repair and notification of any parts not available on location that needed to be delivered. Another message should have been sent confirming when repairs were finished and the team was leaving. A final message would confirm that the team had arrived back in Ville d’Espoir and would rejoin the que to be reassigned to the next repair.

V.E.T. received the message that they had arrived and were beginning the investigation of the problem. Nothing was heard from them after that. After several days without contact, a group of villagers from the nearest settlement went to the relay tower. They recorded the video on the news and nobody has returned since to investigate.

The Arctic Locals refuse to take the job or go near the tower. Corporate Counsel cannot allow ant V.E.T. personnel to go until the fate of the first crew is investigated. The Army will investigate when they arrive to perform the repairs, but authorizing the military to take over a civilian facility is administratively complex. The authorization takes time.

So ultimately, nobody knows for sure WHAT happened.

V.E.T.
They do not know what is wrong. The station is a simple relay tower. A weather satellite monitors the polar region to help predict weather patterns. It is vital to climate models. The position of the satellite makes direct transmission to Ville d’Espoir impossible, so a receiver was built in the Arctic to receive the transmission from the satellite and rebroadcast it to Ville d’ Espoir. That relay station stopped rebroadcasting. Imaging from the villagers shows the Tower and Antenna to be intact, therefore, it is likely an equipment failure inside the building.

The first crew was sent to find out what was broken. That is now YOUR job.

VET is not paying any transportation costs. This is a Cash On Delivery job. Whoever goes to the station, figures out what is wrong and fixes it, gets the pile of money. If you want to become salaried repairmen for VET, submit a resume. If you arrive and identify a special part that needs replacing, they may deliver it to you … or they may send a VET repair crew with the part.

However, the first repair crew expected to be able to repair most problems with the parts stored on site or in their vehicle. BOTH should still be there [nobody knows because nobody has returned to look … the villagers were looking for a missing crew and found no sign of people].

There is old aerial imagery … the satellite is providing real time imagery, but the relay is down. Maps are available, but out of date … glacial formations change like sand dunes in the desert. So the maps are GENERAL, but not detailed at the local level.

There is a village a few hours away from the Relay that is the best source of local information. It is too small to be connected by permanent trucking service, so contact is sporadic and closer to monthly.

Technical information on the Station or agreements for Equipment will need to be negotiated directly with Ville D’Espoir Technologies at their Corporate Headquarters in Ville D’Espoir … in person. This offer is “first come first serve” and 100% results based. ANYBODY that fixes it will be paid the money that they are already paying out. VET doesn’t want to ask any questions and they don’t care about the details. The Army will fix it in two weeks, guaranteed. That is your competition.
Information on Repair Crew Roll = [8] … average success.

Clerk Bartholomew “Bart” Tobit (Age 26):Below average (2-5) STR, END; Average (6-8) DEX, INT; Above average (9-A) EDU, SOC.

Supervisor Lawrence W. Martin (Age 50):
Below average (2-5) STR, DEX, END; Average (6-8) INT, SOC; Above average (9-C) EDU.
PAUSE: because I cannot imagine that there are no questions.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 3 PM Dame Schmidt Residence [E near #25] - Jim & Joe

#80 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:55 pm 3 PM Dame Schmidt Residence - Jim & Joe [E near #25]
Jim and Joe headed over to the Schmidt Residence to make “quick work” of the repair. Things did not go quite as expected. The repair itself went quickly and easily once Jim had a second pair of hands. It was after that things didn’t go quite as planned.

First, there was a small rodent. Who knew that Sophie could run part way up a tree after a rodent! It was impressive to watch and a brief reminder of her feral instincts.

Jim packed while Sophie enjoyed her prey. Joe was relaxing and waiting for Jim to finish when Dame Schmidt returned from the Clinic and insisted that the two of them remain for afternoon tea. Father Cohen would be joining you.

So it came to pass that a quick repair turned into an extended chat over tea and sandwiches with a Dame and a Priest. It was what neither Jim nor Joe expected it to be. While the event was socially polite, both the Dame and Priest were spirited arguers passionate about their beliefs. During discussions that ranged from polite to heated, you discovered …

Dame Schmidt was both Administrator of the Medical Clinic and a capable Practitioner, but not a Doctor.

Father Cohen was more a man of the “street” than might be appropriate for a clergyman … and he could field strip and reassemble a SMG blindfolded … an unusual skill.

Father Cohen disapproved of Jim … he believed that Noblemen should do more with the advantage the Creator had given them to help people, and the Father generally disapproved of ALL armed forces … making Jim “a spoiled, rich, privileged jack-booted thug that was only looking out for himself” in his unvarnished opinion.

Father Cohen and Joe got along much better. You shared a common “middle class” background and “streetwise” experience, and Father Cohen approved of Merchants as people that “worked for a living”.
Joe chuckles a bit at Father Cohen's appraial of Jim, but defends him by saying, "Yes, but Father surely you believe in the possibility of Redemption? Jim has seen the error of his ways and left the Navy. He's been engaging in some good honest work for Dame Schmidt, he spent some time working at the Warehouse, helping me load containers on trucks for transport, and is going to use his contacts and skills to help a group of us do some good, honest and hopefully lucrative work in the future."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”