Amondiage Day 1 Pubcrawl

Hvalreki
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Amondiage Day 1 Pubcrawl

#1 Post by Hvalreki »

Gabe and Ted make their way out into the lively Amondiage nightscape. Drawn by instinct, skill or mystical prowess the pair somehow arrive in the thick of a busy pedestrian mall stacked with bars and restaurants.

Avoiding those like the plague, they keep walking and then cut down a side alley that winds its way into a warren of small shop fronts. Eventually at the intersection of 2 side alleys a short step leads up to a metal door, currently propped open by a large man sitting on a stool smoking an enormous cigar.

He makes eye contact and holds up a hand and gives the duo the once over, apparently satisfied he jerks his head towards the door and goes back to smoking.

Inside the bar is darkly lit and several patrons are scattered about drinking and talking quietly. Some kind of wind instrument music you don't recognize is playing in the background. It's a bit brighter near the bar and they pull up two empty seats.

Behind the bar is a well dressed Vargr mixing drinks. "Ah, just so, Imperials yes? Welcome to my bar"

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Amondiage Day 1 Pubcrawl

#2 Post by subaltari »

As the pair enters, Gabe nods to the cigar man and lets his eyes adjust to the gloomy dive. He receives the chaser-alien bartender's greeting with interest. He'd heard about a few all-Vargr companies in the service of Archduke Norris, but never met them.

"Ah, gracias... former Imperials, but good catch, mang. One of those?" He points to an ale tap by way of ordering, then lets Ted do most of the talking.
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch
Spearmint's Barrowmaze (1e): Elbart, 1st level human 'riverman'

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 pm "Ah, gracias... former Imperials, but good catch, mang. One of those?" He points to an ale tap by way of ordering, then lets Ted do most of the talking.
"Former? His laugh is a staccato barking sound as rummages behind the counter. "Friend, you wearing Hortalez et Cie field uniform, eh? That about as Imperial as they come."

He bears his teeth menacingly but it takes only an uncomfortable moment to realize he's trying to smile.

He pops a glass bottle and pours a glass for Gabe. Waving a manicured paw at the Ale tap, "Here, not that rot, it local swill. Try instead this, Neubayern's finest!"

He turns and looks at Ted, "And you my Former Imperial friend, what have you will, eh?"

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:19 am
subaltari wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 pm"Ah, gracias... former Imperials, but good catch, mang. One of those?"
"Former? His laugh is a staccato barking sound as rummages behind the counter. "Friend, you wearing Hortalez et Cie field uniform, eh? That about as Imperial as they come."
OOC: In the last thread I mentioned Gabe was pulling on a plain civvy windbreaker, from his old stash of personal clothing, but no harm done. Maybe Ted's the one who's showing our true colours. ;)

Gabe looks embarrassed by the Vargr's quip, but it's partly an act; this is the second Amondiagian Gabe has conversed with, and he can't help but like the furry fellow.

Hvalreki wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:19 amHe pops a glass bottle and pours a glass for Gabe. Waving a manicured paw at the Ale tap, "Here, not that rot, it local swill. Try instead this, Neubayern's finest!"

General knowledge (Int=7) [2d6] = 3
Gabe obviously hasn't studied the sector maps as diligently as his comrade Ty. He might recall from his jarhead history classes that "Bayern" was one of the first Terran colonies, and that may itself be wrong, because I the player never did much with T2300 :D

"Noi-buy-ern...? Eh man, that funny writing on the label, dat's some Solomani stuff ain't it?" Gabe accepts the chilled glass and takes a good sized swig of the Bavarian brew, then smacks his lips contentedly.
"Yah, it's good. So erm... how you get it out here in da Islands?"
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Gorethirster »

Ted takes in the Vargr with slight discomfort. He's used to relying as much on nonverbal social cues as anything else, and reading those cues on a totally different species is harder than he likes. He didn't have Gabe's foresight, and left his uniform coveralls on, but he rolls with it.

"Maybe former Imperial is the wrong way to put it. Nominally Imperial might be a closer description. Our bosses are Imperial, sure. But we're just getting paid. For me, I'll take something novel, local, and that's not going to knock me on my ass. Back when I was younger I always tried whatever the local specialty was, but after trying four shots of everclear mixed with two of peppermint schnapps I decided that sometimes the locals have mightier livers than I. I've decided I'm okay with that.

Ted pauses and waits for his surprise specialty drink. Once he's had a sip he nods (hopefully appreciatively) and goes on:

"I've got to say, I'm surprised to see a fellow like you on a world like this. Generalissimo types don't strike me as particularly fond of different looking people, let alone fuzzy ones. Is the dear leader more than meets the eye?" Ted keeps his tone light as he says this. He's fine to be thought of as an ignorant tourist, but he doesn't want to come across as sincerely anti-regime. For now.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Hvalreki »

The Vargr busies himself behind the bar for a few moments and sets a shot glass of something green and spicy smelling along with a brown bottle labeled Root Beer.

He points a paw at the glass, and Ted takes a cautious sip. It’s a potent liquor with an herbal, peppery aroma that lingers pleasantly and warms the throat.

“Strong, yes but for sipping good, eh?” He points at the Root Beer, “this to wash between sips.” Strangely, the combination is quite good, exceeding the sum of its parts.

“I was soldier once, Legionnaire, no, first Corsair then Legionnaire.” He bares his teeth again with his disconcerting “smile,” and makes a very human looking shrug, “We lost.”

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Gorethirster »

Ted offers an apologetic shrug and takes another sip of his drink. "In my experience being on the losing side of an armed conflict is a bad position. How'd you make if from POW to pouring drinks? That sounds like it must be at least a bit of a tale."

Ted is paying attention to the barman(barwolf?), but he's also keeping his ears open to the general chatter around the bar. He's listening for anyone who sounds especially aggrieved with the powers that be. Any sort of complaints about children or spouses taken away, property repossessed, or unexpected firings. Anything suggesting that the actions of the secret police, which he's sure the Generalissimo employs, are unusual, frustrating events and not accepted as "just the way things are".

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:47 am It’s a potent liquor with an herbal, peppery aroma that lingers pleasantly and warms the throat.
Underberg.png
Underberg.png (263.74 KiB) Viewed 240 times
I'm thinking something like this? Actually, the ideal choice after eating a fine meal at the TAS. :)
Also, the pairing with root beer sounds nice. I may have to explore this idea, next time I'm out shopping for spirits!

While Ted converses with the barkeep, Gabe turns slightly on his stool to face his partner, thus giving him a view of most of the barroom. He too is listening for snatches of conversation, but also watching for suspicious behavior and for any eyes that might linger on the pair of Travellers. He takes an occasional pull from his beer bottle while glancing about.

No surprise that a Vargr would admit to being a space pirate, but Gabe wonders about the "Legionnaire." Perhaps in a rumour, or one of the meager intel briefings he was allowed to attend, something was said about a Legion.

General (military) knowledge (Int=7, 1 term Marines) [2d6] = 6

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Hvalreki »

Gabe remembers hearing of the Battle of Bayeux as one of the Famous Last Stands during his Marine training.

Some 30 years ago, when Amondiage was still a free republic, it employed a Legion (some 9,000 strong) made up entirely of foreigners (including some non-humans) who swore allegiance to the Legion while following the orders of the Amondiage government. Not quite a pure mercenary unit, it had a reputation as a fierce fighting organization with a storied history stretching back to the days before the Voyageur departed Terra.

The Legion was utterly destroyed in the "Battle of Bayeux" and the few survivors were imprisoned in the Arcone gulag until the war ended.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Hvalreki »

Gorethirster wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:46 pm Ted offers an apologetic shrug and takes another sip of his drink. "In my experience being on the losing side of an armed conflict is a bad position. How'd you make if from POW to pouring drinks? That sounds like it must be at least a bit of a tale."

Ted is paying attention to the barman(barwolf?), but he's also keeping his ears open to the general chatter around the bar. He's listening for anyone who sounds especially aggrieved with the powers that be. Any sort of complaints about children or spouses taken away, property repossessed, or unexpected firings. Anything suggesting that the actions of the secret police, which he's sure the Generalissimo employs, are unusual, frustrating events and not accepted as "just the way things are".
In this particular gin joint the clientele steers more towards the less savory types rather than the clean cut and casually uniformed Amondiage general public. The non-stop TV monitors ever present in all the other public spaces you've been in are noticeably absent from the bar.

The background music, while not overpowering, is enough to make picking out any individual conversations very difficult. The few patrons seated at the bar are focused on drinking in solitude.

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:08 am Image
Some 30 years ago, when Amondiage was still a free republic, it employed a Legion (some 9,000 strong) made up entirely of foreigners (including some non-humans) who swore allegiance to the Legion while following the orders of the Amondiage government.
So that means the 'Barwolf' is old...
I figure close to 350 in human years! :lol:

Also. I don't mind that the Vargr spared Gabe the embarrassment of answering his "is that Solomani beer" question, but does he have a response to this...?
Gorethirster wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:46 pm Ted offers an apologetic shrug and takes another sip of his drink. "In my experience being on the losing side of an armed conflict is a bad position. How'd you make it from POW to pouring drinks? That sounds like it must be at least a bit of a tale."

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 pm
Also. I don't mind that the Vargr spared Gabe the embarrassment of answering his "is that Solomani beer" question, but does he have a response to this...? [/ooc]
Gorethirster wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:46 pm Ted offers an apologetic shrug and takes another sip of his drink. "In my experience being on the losing side of an armed conflict is a bad position. How'd you make it from POW to pouring drinks? That sounds like it must be at least a bit of a tale."
The bartender bares his teeth and barks a short laugh.

"After Bayeux I relaxed in Arcone for a couple years. When war ended I chose quieter work."

His eyes glint yellow as he squarely meets your gaze.

"So, what brings you to Amondiage eh?"

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Gorethirster »

"I imagine it's easy to sleep on a steady diet of substandard rations and hard labor. I'm impressed you made it. Ted tips his glass to the barkeep.

"We're here on business. H&C. We're looking for a starship. The Perfect Stranger. We have reason to suspect it may have been "repossessed" under less than friendly circumstances. Does the name ring any bells?

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by subaltari »

Gabe takes another sip of the tasty Bavarian beer, and nods as Ted gets down to business with the Vargr.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Hvalreki »

"Perfect Stranger? Sorry, never heard a her." His easygoing demeanor chills and Ted and Gabe get the unspoken message it's time to finish their drinks and move on.

They spend a few minutes in silence, finishing up their drinks and listening to the music. When they are clearly done the bartender slides them the tab in a folded cover. On their receipt copy is written a note which Ted pockets. TAS-breakfast, tomorrow

= -1 Population 9+, +1 Streetwise, +1 5 or more terms served = 10 Responsive

Does he know anything about the Perfect Stranger ? Yes!

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by subaltari »

Sweet!

How much is the tab? (I figure Cr5 per drink is more than reasonable). Ted should probably tip generously!

Assuming Ted shows Gabe the note outside,
the younger man reads it then narrows his eyes suspiciously. "The Barwolf knows somethin, eh? But how's he know we stay at the TAS. You let that slip too, tío Teodoro?" Gabe smiles a bit to let Ted know he's jesting.

"So what next, we keep lookin for la resistencia? Or grab a nightcap an' get our beauty sleep for tomorrow?"

I figure Ted & Gabe get the text from Jako sometime within the next few hours, since they did spend some time talking to people and looking stuff up. Gabe will reply with the news on our end, in the main thread.

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Gorethirster »

Ted pays his tab and leaves a more generous tip than he usually would (that is to say, more than the dead minimum expected by local custom). As he's doing this, he asks the barkeep for the name of what he was drinking. He enjoyed it enough that if they're going to be back on Amondiage he'll ask for it again.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Hvalreki »

Gorethirster wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:16 pm Ted pays his tab and leaves a more generous tip than he usually would (that is to say, more than the dead minimum expected by local custom). As he's doing this, he asks the barkeep for the name of what he was drinking. He enjoyed it enough that if they're going to be back on Amondiage he'll ask for it again.
The name is on the bottle :D brewed by a space faring branch of the Carthusian Monks.

And with a root beer chaser (not my receipie however :D )

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:41 amThe name is on the bottle :D brewed by a space faring branch of the Carthusian Monks.

And with a root beer chaser (not my recipe however :D )
I'll look for this next time I'm at my FGLS (Friendly Government Liquor Store!) But it's probably a couple shelves up from where I'm used to finding my supplies 😅

Will there be a separate thread for the Day 2 TAS breakfast? I believe Jako & Gabe are seated, with Ted hopefully joining us soon.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:47 pm Will there be a separate thread for the Day 2 TAS breakfast? I believe Jako & Gabe are seated, with Ted hopefully joining us soon.[/ooc]
I put it in the Day 2 post rather than a separate thread, sorry if that got lost in the shuffle.

viewtopic.php?p=695123#p695123

Return to “Repo Men (Classic Traveller)”