Barrow Moor: Seeking Sauron relics:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Moor: Seeking Sauron relics:

#21 Post by Spearmint »

The Not-so-abandoned Camp.

Characters display a loyalty and bravery that borders on the heroic and foolhardy in equal measures.

Succumbing to wounds received, the dwarven aides and Scarlett lie dead, dying or in precarious states. Somewhere a bard strums a rousing anthem, the chords pounding in Theraxx's heart and mind,
"I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong, and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life".

He rallies himself against the odds and rather than turning tail to save himself thereby leaving kinfolk and comrade to grisly fates, the stalwart goes on the attack.

He swings his weapon left then right; alternating hammer swings with shield bashes, taking on the two zombie Lizardmen who flank him, winning initiative but not making crucial first strikes count.
The warrior takes another wound -2hp but in dramatic style, slays the zombie on his right with his second lunge, -8hp and a flurry later, bludgeons the other, caving its skull -5hp.
A few yards away is the undead Sauron Captain, rising from his prayer and supplications to enact his savagery upon the sacrificial maiden Scarlett. He lifts her limp head under his claw, baring her throat, jugulars still beating with steady thuds of rich blood. He opens his jaws, clamping down either side, tasting the tender flesh a moment as she involuntarily kicks then rips her head clean from her torso as he tears her apart. -9hp, deceased.

Blood splattered he turns to face more dwarven vengeance and wrath. Theraxx rushes upon him, swinging his trusty warhammer but the Barrow Moor veteran parries the shaft and is unmoved by the dwarf's barging shield. A clubbing from his own fist adds more injury -3hp to the braveheart and he too collapses unconscious before the undead Sauron and the blood splattered slab.

The gods have been good to Chingacharz'ad. Awoken from death and reborn in rotten, putrefying flesh, his Draconic Aspect has provided willing sacrifices to purge his hunger. A dwarf and an elf, races who warred and hated his Lizardfolk kin in life, races who betrayed and despoiled his tribe.

"Vengeance is sweet and tasty", the zombie thinks in a lucid flash. Venerating the body of Theraxx in the same fashion as Scarlett's, decapitating him and placing his severed head alongside hers as a trophy upon the spears planted before the blood splattered altar.

From somewhere deep below ground; from within the barrow underneath, a necrosis leaks, a baleful influence as dark as a demon spirit. It inhabits Chingacharz'ad and he breathes a great groaning cry; of pain, of anger and revenge.

As he feasts upon the dead, tossing bones to the returning vultures, the ground writhes as those Saurons slain yet to be revived crawl forth from the earth ...

and with that, so ends the expedition and short adventures of Theraxx & Scarlett. A grim and bloody brutalisation that perhaps with better fortune could have been them exulting in victory.

actions none.
somewhere in the outer planes of existence, new sets of dice are rolled and 4d6's allocated to attribute scores ...
thanks guys! Short-lived but heroic.
Last edited by Spearmint on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Stirling »

Epic!

No worries, I do get attached to characters but very soon lose my head!

Better rolls we would have won. Each needed 12+ to hit and we had the same hp relatively so it became individual one-on-ones and Fateful rolls determined we lost. If roles we reversed, I would have fought on too to try and save others, brave and foolhardy as you wrote.

Thanks for the opportunity. I will think on a new character to roll up at a later date.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Edeldhur »

Thanks for the amazing writeup Spearmint!
@Stirling: I think we were just REALLY unlucky... Was a nice effort though. Good playing with you!

Return to “Completed Expeditions”