PART 1 - "The Colony" [in character]

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

PART 1 - "The Colony" [in character]

#1 Post by atpollard »

Time for a soft opening to get things rolling.

With a population right around ten thousand, Brulantfort is the second largest city on the planet BEAU. There are three ways to arrive at Brulantfort ... the least common is to arrive by water from one of the towns across the Great Ocean to the west. The least expensive way is to arrive by the WEEKLY Public Ground Transport that crawls between the cities, towns and villages delivering passengers and freight for Cr5 per person or ton. The most common way is to arrive by Public Grav Transport [Cr10 per person or ton] that operate every 8 hours between cities [Brulantfort to Ville d’Espoir] and once per day between cities and towns [like Purvaux and Montsoleil]. Since the Starport is at Montsoleil, the daily Brulantfort-Montsoleil Grav Shuttle is convenient (mid-morning to Montsoleil and mid-afternoon from Montsoleil).

Brulantfort is a city that has invested its heavy tax revenue in the welfare of its citizens. The Ozone problem was dealt with in the daily lives of the people by creating a series of enormous transparent domes - each over a kilometer in diameter - that provided a climate controlled environment for its citizens to live in. Being a city in the tropics, the domes also offered relief from the warm humid climate ... especially when the wind was not blowing. On the other hand, living in a Government Controlled Bubble at Law Level 7 under a pervasive Civil Service Bureaucracy created an environment that some ... about 8% of the population ... found more stifling to the soul than the heat, humidity and Ozone were oppressive to the body.

That brings us to "THE COLONY". At least, that is what those that live there call it. The official City Bureaucratic Census designation is "District Zero" ... a nod to an Administrator with a sense of humor, since each of the Official City Domes is designated with a District Number (District 1 through District 5). There exists a 3 km long unpaved but sintered dirt road from the domed city to the Grav Landing Pad located on a nearby hill. In the "Master Plan" for the city, there is room for a future dome in this area. Artists, Free Spirits and Social Activists chose to purchase lots in the unbuilt "dome" and to settle OUTSIDE the protected city confines. They named their community "THE COLONY" and it grew organically (without City Controlled Planning) along the road between the domes and the Grav Port. The Colony has grown to 800 people and boasts an eclectic culture that includes important artists, authors and thinkers. It is also "less governed" than living inside the dome.

Attached is a quick summary of "THE COLONY"
Commercial Buildings by ID Number:
[1] Construction Trailer
[2] Retail (food & Beverage)
[3] Retail (general merchandise)
[4] Savings & Loan
[5] Real Estate (rentals)
[6] Architect/Engineer/Utilities
[7] Computer Systems
[8] Employment Services
[9] Medical Clinic
[10] Nursing Home
[11] Restaurant (quality)
[12] Restaurant (bar)
[13] Repair shop
[14] Chapel (Religious)

Residential Housing by TYPE and QUANTITY:
Pressure Tent x 9
Prefabricated Cabin x 75
Advance Base x 130
4 dT Double Small Craft Stateroom x 75
10 dT Cutter Module x 7
For each Character ...
ROLL 1D6:
1-2 = You arrived YESTERDAY, spent the night in a hotel and are currently sitting in the Bar [District 0: Building #12]. You know the identification of all the businesses in THE COLONY and the difference in Law Level [effective LL 5 vs 7 for Gov't Stop and Question Checks].
3-4 = You arrived HOURS AGO and are wandering through THE COLONY heading to the Bar [District 0: Building #12] to meet a friend. You discovered that the Real Estate Office rents units by the month (from a sign).
5-6 = You have JUST ARRIVED. You are exiting the Grav Shuttle and walking towards THE COLONY. There is a Bar [District 0: Building #12] sign visible in the community ahead and a domed city beyond it.

Players can begin to interact and get their feet wet forming a group while I finish setting up the plot threads to fit the characters.
Hard opening on Monday.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: PART 1 - "The Colony" [in character]

#2 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ sits at a window table in the bar, watching people walk by. Relaxed, he wears sweatpants and a t-shirt, occasionally taking a drink from a bottle of cheap light beer. At his feet lie a duffel bag and a pair of worn carryall bags.

He wonders about why he is here, but staying in Montsoleil means falling back into old habits with his family, and that feels like a very bad idea. Hopefully his friends won't be too long.

His thoughts are once again disturbed by the whining of the bar's environment system, and he considers if he should offer to take a look at it.

Arrival: [1d6]=2
Last edited by shaidar on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Eris »

[1d6]=6

Joe steps down from the Grav Shuttle and automatically adjusts his filter mask as he quickly looks around. Down the hill, along a road leading to a large dome glinting in the sunlight, he sees a rag-tag collection of buildings hap-hazardly scattered around.

"So this is The Colony. Now where is the bar I'm looking for?" Joe says outloud, but to himself

"Ah, there it is!" he mumbles to himself and chuckles, "District 0: Building 12, just like DJ said. Not much of a name for a bar. Hope the beer is better than their name."

Ruefully he adds to himself, "I hope the job is worth the trouble coming out here from the Port."

With a laugh, he shakes his head, "Gotta stop talking to myself out loud. That disturbs folks."

As Joe trudges down the hill he looks around at his surroundings. It should be safe here, but long experience has taught him to be careful...and he isn't armed. He also eyes the other people that stepped off the Shuttle with him wondering if any of them are heading to the same place he is...most look like workers, locals.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by TheMyth »

Valencia Meridian

Arrival [1d6]=6

Val was surprised by how comfortable this trip was by grav shuttle. The crowd was tolerable. The ride relatively smooth. Not too many mewling brats wiping snot all over everything.

She finds herself part of the teeming swarm exiting the landing facilities, but she angles in the direction of The Colony. She's never never been here before, but she likes the idea that it is an artists' commune with not-quite-so-many cops under foot. She knows her cousin DJ is waiting for her at the local bar...and look! There's the sign pointing her right to it. And some doofy spacer talking to himself is going there too.

Val decides to follow the other dude to the bar and hopes she isn't drenched in sweat by the time she gets there.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by atpollard »

As you exit the Grav Port Landing Pad, there is a knee high wall clearly defining its limits with a 9 meter break in the wall for the road leading towards the City. On either side of the road, terminating the wall, is a monolith ... a large vertical stone monument. They are identical. Each is 2 meters square at the base and tapers to 1 meter by 2 meters at the top, vertical facing the Landing pad and tapered on the back side. Each monolith is 3 meters tall. The large flat 2 x 3 meter face towards the Grav Transport is almost completely covered by a 1 cm thick bronze plate. From top to bottom, the plate is engraved with a list of bullet-pointed "Helpful Reminders" of Local Laws.
  • No Firearms Allowed within City Limits.
  • All Grav Vehicles within 0.5 km of any Dome are required to file a registered flight path.
  • No Ground Vehicles Permitted inside any Dome.
  • All vehicles operated within any Dome require a CITY ISSUED Commercial License and Registration.
  • No Littering: Cr 100 fine
  • No Soliciting: Cr 20 fine
  • All Agricultural Goods must be inspected before entry into the City.
  • No animals permitted within City Limits without Special Permit.
  • All cargo entering city must be declared and inspected.
  • Citizens required to immediately present valid ID upon request.
  • Non citizens required to immediately present valid ID and Passport upon request.
The list goes on and on and on ... three meters high by two columns wide.

You were "informed". ;)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:27 pm ...
The list goes on and on and on ... three meters high by two columns wide.
You were "informed". ;)
Joe stops at the monolith and skims over the bullet points.

"Spam on a Stick!" he says shaking his head, "These folks have more rules than Saint Eneri's School and Foundling Home, bless their stony hearts!"

"Pardon my breathing your air! Sheeze!" Joe chuckles and looks over at the woman who had been following him and says, "Well, when on Capital, stay out of the Coliseum!"

"My first time here. Just how serious are they about their fracking rules?" he asks her with a grin, "Slap on the Wrist serious, or Off With Your Head serious?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by TheMyth »

Eris wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:11 pm Joe stops at the monolith and skims over the bullet points.

"Spam on a Stick!" he says shaking his head, "These folks have more rules than Saint Eneri's School and Foundling Home, bless their stony hearts!"

"Pardon my breathing your air! Sheeze!" Joe chuckles and looks over at the woman who had been following him and says, "Well, when on Capital, stay out of the Coliseum!"

"My first time here. Just how serious are they about their fracking rules?" he asks her with a grin, "Slap on the Wrist serious, or Off With Your Head serious?"
" Oh, they're dead serious," Val says with a smirk. "You'll learn quick when you break them," the woman chuckles.

"I notice they mention 'The City' specifically, but not 'The Colony.' That bodes well," she smirks. "Did I hear you say you were heading there?"

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

"Bar, Building 12." says Joe, "Meeting a guy I worked with a while back, DJ by name."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by TheMyth »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:19 am "Bar, Building 12." says Joe, "Meeting a guy I worked with a while back, DJ by name."
The woman rolls her eyes. "I'm here to meet DJ too," she moans. "I'm his cousin Val. Valencia Meridian on my ident-papers. Let's get to that bar. I need a drink."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:32 am
Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:19 am "Bar, Building 12." says Joe, "Meeting a guy I worked with a while back, DJ by name."
The woman rolls her eyes. "I'm here to meet DJ too," she moans. "I'm his cousin Val. Valencia Meridian on my ident-papers. Let's get to that bar. I need a drink."
"Small world!" Joe chuckles and holds out his hand to shake, "I'm Joe Black, just Joe to my friends, and I'm as dry as a breath of vacuum. Let's go get that drink and see what DJ has on his little mind."

Into the bar we go...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ spots the pair approaching the bar "Great, a two-fer, saves time" he thinks to himself. As they enter the bar he stands and waves them over.

He shakes Joe's hand, "Good to see ya old man, welcome to Beau.", he then turns to Val, smiling "Val!, long time no see, cuz!" he gives her a big hug and then steps back, a grin on his face. "The family rumour mill says that you're the black sheep now.". He gestures to the table "Take a load off, did you come in on the same shuttle?"

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by atpollard »

The BAR in District 0 (The Colony):
District 0-Bar.jpg
District 0-Bar.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 207 times
APPETIZERS
MOZZARELLA STICKS Cr 2
FRIED PICKLES Cr 1.5
CHICKEN TENDERS WITH FRIES Cr 2.5
WINGS WITH FRIES Cr 2.5
HOUSE CUT PARMESAN FRIES Cr 1.5

SALADS
CAESAR SALAD Cr 1.5
+ ADD A CHICKEN BREAST Cr 1

SANDWICHES (SERVED WITH FRIES)
BEEF SLIDERS Cr 2.5
CHICKEN SLIDERS Cr 2.5

ONE CREDIT MENU
CHICKEN BITES
BEEF SLIDER
GRILLED CHEESE

DRINKS
Beer Cr1
Craft Beer Cr 1.5
Mixed Drink Cr 1.5
Wine Cr 2

[Menu added for color ... not to play accountants and track every half-credit spent. I charge LIVING EXPENSES by the month as a lump sum to simplify bookkeeping.]

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:12 pm DJ

DJ spots the pair approaching the bar "Great, a two-fer, saves time" he thinks to himself. As they enter the bar he stands and waves them over.

He shakes Joe's hand, "Good to see ya old man, welcome to Beau.", he then turns to Val, smiling "Val!, long time no see, cuz!" he gives her a big hug and then steps back, a grin on his face. "The family rumour mill says that you're the black sheep now.". He gestures to the table "Take a load off, did you come in on the same shuttle?"
Joe shakes DJ's hand, "Yeah, good to see you too Deeege."

"Beer good here?" he asks looking over DJ's shoulder, "Give me a minute. Hey, you want anything other than a beer Val?"

Joe goes to the bar and orders a beer for himself and one for Val and an order of Chicken Bites for himself...and anything Val wanted before coming back to DJ's table.

"So, it sounded like you had an interesting offer to put on the table, man." Joe sits down grins and adds, "I'm at loose ends, right now, so most anything would be interesting. What gives?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by TheMyth »

"Hi, DJ," Vals says as she hugs her cousin. "Things sure do change, don't they?" she smirks.

"I'll take a beer. Bottle, preferred," she replies to Joe.

As she sits down, Val takes stock of the bar. How many patrons? How many exits? How many staff? Mostly she just listens to get a lay of the land.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ sits and waits for his friends to get their drinks and sit down.

Once they are settled he takes a drink from his bottle and leans forward "Well, it ain't exactly a solid job as such, but I know a guy from around here and he hears things. There's a company wanting someone to fix their remote comms relay, it's way up north so it'll be cold, and the last team they sent got themselves et. But they're desperate and willing to pay real good. He also said about an opportunity, a chance to start a silver smelting business. He says if you do it right then you could double your money." he leans back "So, what do ya think, interested?"

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:00 am DJ

DJ sits and waits for his friends to get their drinks and sit down.

Once they are settled he takes a drink from his bottle and leans forward "Well, it ain't exactly a solid job as such, but I know a guy from around here and he hears things. There's a company wanting someone to fix their remote comms relay, it's way up north so it'll be cold, and the last team they sent got themselves et. But they're desperate and willing to pay real good. He also said about an opportunity, a chance to start a silver smelting business. He says if you do it right then you could double your money." he leans back "So, what do ya think, interested?"
"Got themselves et?" Joe raises his eyebrows, "Cold I can deal with, getting et is a different story entirely!"

"We better be allowed to take some artillery up there if there are hungry beasties to deal with is all I got to say! But yeah, I need the work, so I'm in on that part. As for the other, we'll see. I'd like to get a ship and get to traveling at some point, you know."
says Joe popping a chicken bite into his mouth and washing it down with his beer adding the comment, "Beer isn't bad here, but not good enough to make we want to stay long term."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by TheMyth »

Val

"A cold death doesn't sound appealing to me," Val frowns. "But silver never goes out of style...."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ looks from Val to Joe and back to Val.

"The comms job would get us some credits to invest in the silver business." he looks back over at Joe "Joe, I like the sound of a ship, but they cost big credits to buy and run, a business investment would help with that." he takes another swig of beer "A'course we could go looking for something else."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by atpollard »

A short, slender mouse of a man entered the Bar and sat at one of the stools. He ordered a glass of some local Craft Beer and sat nursing it and keeping to himself.

Scanning the room vigilantly for trouble ... some habits one just cannot shake ... Val was the first to observe that the mouse of a man was not really drinking his beer and was painfully obviously NOT LOOKING at the group. Every time he glanced at your table and quickly turned away, he silently screamed that he was "not looking" at you all. Part of Val thought it would be great to play poker with this guy. The better part knew that familiar feeling ... TROUBLE had found them.

Since Val and Joe had just arrived within the hour, you really hadn't had adequate time to get into trouble. That meant "Mickey" at the bar must be here for DJ. What trouble could DJ have gotten into in only 24 hours?

The mouse at the bar, glanced over towards DJ again, and quickly turned back to stare at his beer.

A waitress named Gloria - according to her name tag - stepped between Val and the man at the bar, blocking your view as she cleared empty plates from the table. "Can I get another round for anyone?" she piped in cheerfully. "We have a new Lager from a local source. The lighter brew is more refreshing in the hot weather. Or my favorite is the Trailer Park Punch, made with Pineapple Rum, Southern Comfort, Amaretto, and fresh tropical fruit juice."

Spoiler for DJ:
When and if the man is brought to the attention of DJ, you recognize him. Bert ... no Bart ... no it was Bartholomew. However all the other clerks just called him 'Bert' - which seemed to annoy him. He was one of the Clerks in the Government Employment Office [District 0, Building 8]. That was where the man from the office (but not Bart) chased you down to offer you a job repairing the Comm Link when you completed your obligatory registration of profession.

NOTE: All visitors are required to register their profession within SEVEN days of arrival with the Brulantfort Department of Economics, Bureau of Labor, Office of Employment Statistics. There was a note on the sign when you entered. ;) DJ got it over with yesterday at Building 8. They scanned his resume, recorded his skills and certifications, and the clerk offered him a Job Contact when the System flagged your ELECTRONICS/COMM skill. You said "I'll think about it and get back with you." then left.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:02 am
A waitress named Gloria - according to her name tag - stepped between Val and the man at the bar, blocking your view as she cleared empty plates from the table. "Can I get another round for anyone?" she piped in cheerfully. "We have a new Lager from a local source. The lighter brew is more refreshing in the hot weather. Or my favorite is the Trailer Park Punch, made with Pineapple Rum, Southern Comfort, Amaretto, and fresh tropical fruit juice."
"Nothing else for me Gloria. Thanks for asking though." says Joe with a smile adding, "The chicken bites are pretty good and so's the beer, but got to watch what, and how much, I eat now days."

Joe has been watching the people at the table and notices Val noticing something going on behind him...he thinks...[2d6+2]=9+2=11...he doesn't know what, but something feels off to him.

Once Gloria leaves Joe leans toward Val and says, "It looks like you see something that smells off. Is Something going on behind me that I don't see?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”