Character Generation

atpollard
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Character Generation

#81 Post by TheMyth »

We could embrace the clichë and say Val was Herbie's babysitter when she was a teenager. Lol.

Or his tutor!

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by atpollard »

TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:20 pm We could embrace the clichë and say Val was Herbie's babysitter when she was a teenager. Lol.
:lol:

I couldn't help but imagining Herbie with an adolescent crush on Val ... but didn't want to go there. :oops:
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:59 pm
TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:20 pm We could embrace the clichë and say Val was Herbie's babysitter when she was a teenager. Lol.

I couldn't help but imagining Herbie with an adolescent crush on Val ... but didn't want to go there. :oops:
Adventures in Babysitting!, immediately came to mind.

When I saw Herbie's picture, I figured he spent his time in the Army peeling spuds. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by TheMyth »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:33 pm
atpollard wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:59 pm

Adventures in Babysitting!, immediately came to mind.

When I saw Herbie's picture, I figured he spent his time in the Army peeling spuds. :)
*goes to look*

"Heeeeyyy, ABBOOOOOOOOTTT!

Who's on first?"

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Herbie Brown

#85 Post by Hvalreki »

atpollard wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:21 pm [
Since Herbie Brown is a one-term character ... let's flesh out his background with some "chrome" from more advanced rules:

From LBB4: Mercenary:
Drafted into the Army and assigned to the Infantry Arm where he completed Basic Training and Advanced Training with a [MOS] of Rifleman, ending year 1 at rank [E1] Private. For the second year, he was assigned to assist the Sergeant and the unit saw combat in an extended series of Raiding missions where he was awarded the [MCUF] decoration, a [Combat Service Ribbon] and promoted to [E2] Lance Corporal. For the third year, he drew a Special Assignment and was cross trained with the Support Arm and earned certification in [MOS] Medic [this would have permitted the option to transfer from the Infantry Arm to the Support Arm upon reenlistment]. Year four saw a return to his old unit as a Rifleman/Medic and more combat Raids, including one in which he was wounded. He was awarded another [MCUF] decoration, a second [Combat Service Ribbon], and a [Purple Heart]. He believes that the time spent recovering from the injury at the end of his term, cost him his Corporal [E3] stripe and reenlistment.
Abbreviations:
[MOS] = Military Occupation Specialty
[MCUF] = Meritorious Conduct Under Fire (medal for bravery)

STARTING THE GAME:
Herbie Brown walks the streets, freshly discharged, in his Dress Greens with his Ribbons [MCUF x2, Purple Heart, Combat Service x2, Rifleman MOS, Medic MOS] all on display and his Lance Corporal Stripes on his sleeves. A small pack slung over his shoulder contains [Cr 500] personal items and he has Cr 1500 cash from the Army to readjust to civilian life. Tucked safely away in a pocket was a Credit Card preloaded with Cr 4500 from his mother that was only valid for 30 days. You need basic supplies beyond toiletries, civilian clothes and a place to sleep tonight. You had Cr 20,000 that you had saved up in the bank.
"What? Herbie a Light Corporal? Listen bub, you got it all wrong. See, I know a guy who knows a guy back at Battalion Admin. He's seen Herbie's service jacket, one page, swear on my mutha!

It says "record expunged for the good of the service." So he get's curious like, see? And does some digging. You know, asks around. Turns out Herbie is famous! No really, he served his entire term in Basic Training! As god is my witness he says!

Basic is like, what 12 weeks tops right? Herbie was recycled 15 times! For real! Fell off the rappel tower, medical. Broken arm in close order drill, medical. Walked off a cliff in the land nav course, medical. Bitten over 90% of his body by stinging insects, medical! You get the picture.

He spent so much time at Battalion med they gave him a medics rating, and him still a buck private! His Drill Sergeant kept trying to make him quit and he wouldn't do it, just kept coming back, and back and back!

Finally, on the sixteenth training cycle he passes his rifle quals after six days, days(!) of shooting. He was so excited after finally graduating that he decided to reenlist! Well, the Colonel got wind of that, cut him a check for his back pay and bought him a high passage back to Beau!"

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by atpollard »

Hvalreki wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:24 am "What? Herbie a Light Corporal? Listen bub, you got it all wrong. See, I know a guy who knows a guy back at Battalion Admin. He's seen Herbie's service jacket, one page, swear on my mutha!

It says "record expunged for the good of the service." So he get's curious like, see? And does some digging. You know, asks around. Turns out Herbie is famous! No really, he served his entire term in Basic Training! As god is my witness he says!

Basic is like, what 12 weeks tops right? Herbie was recycled 15 times! For real! Fell off the rappel tower, medical. Broken arm in close order drill, medical. Walked off a cliff in the land nav course, medical. Bitten over 90% of his body by stinging insects, medical! You get the picture.

He spent so much time at Battalion med they gave him a medics rating, and him still a buck private! His Drill Sergeant kept trying to make him quit and he wouldn't do it, just kept coming back, and back and back!

Finally, on the sixteenth training cycle he passes his rifle quals after six days, days(!) of shooting. He was so excited after finally graduating that he decided to reenlist! Well, the Colonel got wind of that, cut him a check for his back pay and bought him a high passage back to Beau!"
I am going to be honest here ... that story makes me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I am struggling to see how a "Costello/Jar-Jar" fits into the crew of the Serenity [Firefly] or Millennium falcon [Star Wars] or DS-9 [Star Trek]. HOWEVER, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt (players often surprise me) and have worked out a plan to integrate him into the group.

[As an aside, the reluctance of people to jump in and volunteer ideas for being "Abbot" to your character, suggests that I am not alone in struggling to "grok" what you are up to.]

Here is THE PLAN - (yes, we have a plan) ;)

Herbie is a NATIVE of The Colony (not merely a native of the World that may have visited here). He is also a "fixture" in the community [except for the last 4 years he has been away] Herbie knows LOTS of people and lots of people know Herbie. Buildings #1 - #17 were all here when Herbie left (#18-26 are new in the last 4 years), so Herbie will probably KNOW someone in Building 1-17. I will use (or you can as the need arises) Rule 68A to evaluate each person. 2-5 = "avoid"; 6-7 = know name; 8-9 = friendly; 10+ = an ally/friend.

I have already given Herbie a small "beat the bushes" profit of his own and will provide Herbie with local information that could help the group.

As far as the "Missing Connection" and skill, thereof. Consider Herbie connected effective immediately.
Anyone FROM Beau, has been to The Colony at some point and MET Herbie ... who likely sold you something peddled from his cart
[Popular Items include: Fireworks, Cleaning Supplies and Accessories like Scarfs/hats/gloves.]

FYI: Herbie's "partner" passed Basic Training and was killed in CharGen ... Herbie is on his own. [Roll = 3]

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Leitz »

atpollard wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:39 pm As far as the "Missing Connection" and skill, thereof. Consider Herbie connected effective immediately.
Anyone FROM Beau, has been to The Colony at some point and MET Herbie ... who likely sold you something peddled from his cart [Popular Items include: Fireworks, Cleaning Supplies and Accessories like Scarfs/hats/gloves.]
And as noted in the character's thread, Herbie knows "Mister Jim" from all of the times he's been on shore leave. Often Mister Jim was walking a surly group of Navy people back to the city. One time Mister Jim told a Navy person to apologize to Herbie for a mean joke, and the man refused. Mister Jim punched the man in the gut so hard he fell, and the man apologized while breathing heavy on Herbie's left shoe.

Then Mister Jim apologized to Herbie as well, and bought him a huge meal at the diner.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Leitz »

From TheMyth:

* I recently noticed Val is the only PC with Brawling-1.

Because I've gotten behind in updating my character sheet. Jim has Brawling-1, inspired by finding his baby sister in the hands of some intergalactic miscreants. ;)

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Hvalreki »

Leitz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:19 pm From TheMyth:

Because I've gotten behind in updating my character sheet. Jim has Brawling-1, inspired by finding his baby sister in the hands of some intergalactic miscreants. ;)
Inspired by Jim's fisticuffs, Herbie took up boxing. He could easily go 12 rounds but never won any bouts. However, when he was able to connect his haymaker, the other guy usually remembered it.

Brawling 1

Thankful that Jim helped him, Herbie worked on avoiding fights in the first place. He learned how to tell self depreciating jokes and ingratiate himself with the troublemakers in the Colony so they left him alone. He quickly became everyone's friend, of a certain social strata that is...

Streetwise 1
Lou Costello in his Boxing Days, who knew?
Last edited by Hvalreki on Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by atpollard »

Just my opinion ... but as an aristocrat and Naval Officer, learning to FENCE (Blade-1) as part of one's station and drawing an Officer's Dress Blade on a miscreant might be more apropos.
Cutlasses make sense for Marines (combat is a reality) ... but I could imagine the Navy with something more like the "Dress Daggers" that Nazi Officers wore as potent symbols of authority in the Blue Cluster Navy. In both Scottish and Japanese society, men wore small knives in place of a full sword to symbolize that he was never "defenseless".

[Just an idea.]

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Leitz »

atpollard wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:33 pm

Just my opinion ... but as an aristocrat and Naval Officer, learning to FENCE (Blade-1) as part of one's station and drawing an Officer's Dress Blade on a miscreant might be more apropos.
Cutlasses make sense for Marines (combat is a reality) ... but I could imagine the Navy with something more like the "Dress Daggers" that Nazi Officers wore as potent symbols of authority in the Blue Cluster Navy. In both Scottish and Japanese society, men wore small knives in place of a full sword to symbolize that he was never "defenseless".

[Just an idea.]
One day he'll learn to fence, but Jim's strongest trait is confidence in himself. He was confident in his crew, his ship, his rank, and his Navy, but all those things can be taken away. Even social position is ephemeral, as he is now living in a low Soc manner. Tools like ships, guns, and blades come and go, but when a person can defend themselves with nothing but what they were born with, confidence is a natural result. There may be a direct cause and effect between Jim's rescue of Sophie and his naval success. Once he tasted true confidence in self, everything else became much easier. Promotion boards respond well to a confident officer. :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by atpollard »

Leitz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:45 pm One day he'll learn to fence, but Jim's strongest trait is confidence in himself. He was confident in his crew, his ship, his rank, and his Navy, but all those things can be taken away. Even social position is ephemeral, as he is now living in a low Soc manner. Tools like ships, guns, and blades come and go, but when a person can defend themselves with nothing but what they were born with, confidence is a natural result. There may be a direct cause and effect between Jim's rescue of Sophie and his naval success. Once he tasted true confidence in self, everything else became much easier. Promotion boards respond well to a confident officer. :)
Your call. It was just an observation that on a world in which it is illegal to carry FIREARMS in town, but completely legal to wear a BLADE ... EVERYONE was bringing "fists" to a "knife fight". ;)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Leitz »

atpollard wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:54 pm Your call. It was just an observation that on a world in which it is illegal to carry FIREARMS in town, but completely legal to wear a BLADE ... EVERYONE was bringing "fists" to a "knife fight". ;)
Yup. He has Blade-0, so not totally incompetent. If he does get enough standing to actually live his Soc, he'll probably have a blade handy.

BTW, Marc was Army, not Navy. ;)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by atpollard »

Leitz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:03 pm BTW, Marc was Army, not Navy. ;)
I stand corrected ... Was it his Father that was Navy? I just remembered the dedication in High Guard:
To Commander Charles Arthur Miller, US Navy, Retired
... and thought Marc followed 'Charles Miller' into the Navy.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Leitz »

That would be my guess. I think Marc was an Army officer during the Vietnam era, wasn't he? That may have colored the LBB tradition that officers get more skills than enlisted, since there are no enlisted ranks/promotions. The Vietnam era wasn't a high water mark for US military professionalism. I can't judge, though, I wasn't there.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by Eris »

Leitz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:36 pm That would be my guess. I think Marc was an Army officer during the Vietnam era, wasn't he? That may have colored the LBB tradition that officers get more skills than enlisted, since there are no enlisted ranks/promotions. The Vietnam era wasn't a high water mark for US military professionalism. I can't judge, though, I wasn't there.
Yes! I'm old, guys. I remember those discussions way back when Traveller first came out. Marc was an Army officer and served during Vietnam. Pre-Traveller, GDW was very much a wargaming design workshop. I was an Avalon Hill wargamer and only looked at Traveller because of GDW's wargaming reputation.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Leitz »

atpollard and I aren't as old as Marc, but getting along in years. I'm a few months older. :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Jim's "Dog"

#98 Post by atpollard »

Since Jim's "dog" is becoming more of a regular feature let's flesh it out.

It is 3 HD, 0.9 m long and 0.3 m tall at the shoulder, weighs about 5 kg ... making it about the size of a Terrier or Schnauzer (and of similar temperament).

HOWEVER, Beau is not Earth and there are no "dogs". Your diminutive friend is a domesticated version of a local chaser native to the mountain region near Montsoliel called a Mount Mackenzie Dwarf Chaser. It has six limbs with a slender body built for sprinting. It is fairly intelligent and naturally hunts vermin (making it a useful farm breed). A friendly temperament made it an ideal "companion" animal that led to widespread adoption as pets, however, its nature requires activity and challenges.

Physically, your particular animal is predominantly grayish-black, with a distinctive pattern of pale yellowish-brown stripes ... a throwback to hiding in the grass and rocks to stalk, chase and pounce on small prey - killing them with its sharp teeth. A quirk of this particular breed is the ability to stand on its four rear legs and to use its front legs to dig or manipulate objects ... a trait it uses to reach tables one would not suspect it could. [They can be trained to operate door controls by pressing buttons.]

The fur consists of a wiry outer coat and a soft under coat. They can be groomed to remove the undercoat which causes the outer coat to stand up and curl creating a waterproof barrier that protects it as a hunting animal. An alternative is to shave it completely which eliminates the outer coat leaving the fast-growing very soft inner coat as the only fur. Removing the inner coat needs to be done every four months to maintain it. Shaving the outer coat lasts a year. Your animal has had neither done and has a natural, matted coat of coarse hair over soft hair.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by Hvalreki »

Eris wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 pm
Leitz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:36 pm That would be my guess. I think Marc was an Army officer during the Vietnam era, wasn't he? That may have colored the LBB tradition that officers get more skills than enlisted, since there are no enlisted ranks/promotions. The Vietnam era wasn't a high water mark for US military professionalism. I can't judge, though, I wasn't there.
Yes! I'm old, guys. I remember those discussions way back when Traveller first came out. Marc was an Army officer and served during Vietnam. Pre-Traveller, GDW was very much a wargaming design workshop. I was an Avalon Hill wargamer and only looked at Traveller because of GDW's wargaming reputation.
I love the smell of Avalon Hill "box" games in the morning :D
(Dune, Kingmaker, Squad Leader, Freedom in the Galaxy, Starship Troopers - those were the days!)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by Eris »

Hvalreki wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:46 am
Eris wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 pm
I love the smell of Avalon Hill "box" games in the morning :D
(Dune, Kingmaker, Squad Leader, Freedom in the Galaxy, Starship Troopers - those were the days!)
Oh my! Those, and several Squad Leader and ASL follow on expansions, plus Midway, D Day, Afrika Corps, Gettysburg, Tactics II, Blitzkreig, Panzer Blitz, 1776, Origins of WW II, 1914, Panzer Leader 1 & 2, Iron Men & Wooden Ships, Jutland, Stalingrad, Waterloo...geeze, and several more I'm forgetting...Tobruk, Guadalcanal, Diplomacy, Civilization and still more! In today's money, I must have spent way over a thousand bucks on those games. I've still got all of them, all well played, but still in their boxes, with all the counters and boards. I haven't played any of them for close to 40 years, though and they are stored away in boxes. And then there were SSI and Mayfair games, too!

There are several feet of Traveller books on my bookshelves ranging from CT through MT, TNE, T4, T20, GT, MgT through T5, many of the magazines, all the supplements and many of the 3rd party stuff that came out for Traveller. Lots of D&D, GURPS, C&C, Star Trek, etc. to fill the rest of the book shelves. And somewhere (put away for safe keeping) is my original 1974 White Boxed D&D and 1977 Black Box Traveller sets. I know exactly where White Box is, but I can't seem to find my original Black Box...I've been playing with slightly later editions for a very long time (the 81 edition, The Traveller Book, the Big Black Book, and the PDF's on the CDRom)...but I know it's here somewhere! I'm not really a collector, more of a hoarder, when it comes to books and games. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”