Rules Highlights

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rules Highlights

#1 Post by AleBelly »

This page will be for adding rules that are somewhat unique to DCC. Please do not post here but feel free to quote and ask questions in the OOC thread. These are likely to be poorly organized and I will tend to add to this list as things occur to me or they arise in gameplay.

Table of contents

1. Critical hits and fumbles
2. Experience points (XP)
3. Combat
4. Difficulty checks

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Critical hits and fumbles

#2 Post by AleBelly »

DCC uses critical hits and fumbles. In general, a roll of 20 on your action die leads to a critical hit, and a 1 causes a fumble. For 0-level characters, this generally means rolling a d4 to determine the effect (modified by Luck). As your PCs progress (especially for fighters and dwarves), the effects of crit hits become more substantial. Conversely, wearing heavier and bulkier armor increases the impact of fumbles. I'll post the tables in this post. If you don't remember to roll for hits/fumbles, no worries. I'll do so for you.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Experience Points (XP)

#3 Post by AleBelly »

PCs in a party earn XP for each encounter, ranging from 0-4 depending on the level of challenge and/or danger faced. Note that this applies to PCs participating in the encounter in one way or another. Level 1+ characters may accrue XP individually based on their class.

Once level 0 characters achieve 10xp they become level 1 PCs. Level 2 is reached at 50xp.

No need to update your character sheets after each encounter. I track them. But please do update when prompted at the end of the adventure.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Combat

#4 Post by AleBelly »

Initiative
At the beginning of combat, PCs will roll a 1d20 with appropriate modifiers to determine initiative. Initiative is rolled only at the beginning of combat and order of action(s) will remain consistent for the entire combat.

Actions
For each round, a PC may take their full movement and perform an action (or multiple actions at higher levels).

Firing into melee
Firing into melee incurs a -1 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack misses, there's a 50% chance the attack hits an ally instead. Roll against the ally's AC to determine if the attack hits or not.

More to follow

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Difficulty checks

#5 Post by AleBelly »

Difficulty checks are used in DCC for doing something out of the ordinary. They obviously come up from time to time, but if you describe well what your PCs are trying to do this can eliminate the need for a DC, or at least reduce it.

Some of you are including prospective difficulty rolls as your PC attempts a task. I do appreciate this, as it can accelerate PbP play. However, please put these rolls in spoilers so that if I haven't anticipated what a DC would be I can determine that before seeing your roll.

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”