[001] A Wizard in Danger

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [001] A Wizard in Danger

#141 Post by Eris »

axis57 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 pm Excellent job to the both of you. Now we'll move on the various traps that one must avoid while lockpicking such as trap doors and poison spikes.

While Orram is demonstrating how to avoid a poisoned spike embedded in a locking mechanism he directs a question at Janak as she seems to be the more communicative of the pair.

What exactly is inside this box that your leader wants so bad?
"Don't know." Janak shrugs, "Something religious. The Big Boss wants it, cause the shamans want it, real bad. Something to do with Old One Eye, I guess."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#142 Post by Eris »

Everyone

Salub leads the party through the hole in the Monestary wall and into the compound inside. A few of the buildings here still have roofs, but most are just empty shells. There are, at least, a dozen Goblin bowmen up on the walls, that many Goblins with spears, and another four Hobgoblins armed with swords standing guard.

Salub goes to one of the buildings with a roof and opens a wooden door, "Hey! Got visitors to see ya!"

Orram hears the door open and the big Hobgoblin speak...visitors?

Salub steps out of the door and lets the party go inside.

The room is large and mostly empty. There is a straw pallet next to one wall. A chamber pot near it and at the back of the room there is a closed wooden chest. A human is squatting on the floor near the chest next to a pair of Goblins who are on their knees. The Goblins are tinkering with locks while the human watches them.

OOC: Who goes inside the room? Describe yourselves to Orram, and Orram describe yourself to them.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

axis57
Strider
Strider

#143 Post by axis57 »

Orram has shaggy brown hair and shifty light brown eyes. He looks very young, but tall and unsettlingly gaunt, though his forearms and calves and very muscular, like a fisherman or mountain climber. He is missing his left ring finger, and has a scar that runs along his left shoulder.

He rises and gives a cautious nod to the visitors. His expression is somehow a mix of relief at seeing some of his own kind, but also caution at a shift in circumstances. He does not speak and waits to be addressed.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar is a average enough dwarf, about 4 and a half feet tall with a heavy build, long dark red hair and beard and a ruddy complexion. He has bright green eyes.

Ulfgar steps forward and grasps Orram's arm, "I am Ulfgar of the mountains. Glad to see these beasts have not hurt you. Are you OK?"

axis57
Strider
Strider

#145 Post by axis57 »

Hello. As far as things go I am fine. The food could be better, but I am unharmed. What's happening? I heard something about a dwarven temple full of the undead?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

The warrior remains alert, with his hand on his sword pommel, but looks Orram over and gives him a nod.

"Fergus. The gobbo's kidnapped this halfling wizard, they'll let him, and you go, if we get something from this place they won't enter, and they want you to come with us." he drops his voice low "I'm not sure I trust them, but it seems the best option at this point."
Last edited by shaidar on Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"I am sure I don't trust them. But at least we know that."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Marullus »

Willow remains outside, warily eying the archers on the walls.

Insulted and shut out of the conversation, Naugrim stews silently and follows the others, remaining outside.

axis57
Strider
Strider

#149 Post by axis57 »

Anything to get out of this pit.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#150 Post by Eris »

axis57 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:35 pm Anything to get out of this pit.
Salub says, "See, he's not hurt. Are you satisfied?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Where is the magic-user?"

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by Eris »

Rex wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:26 am Ulfgar

"Where is the magic-user?"
Salub grunts, "He's this way."

"You, get your things and come along." Salub says to Orram.

He leads you back out and to another room where you find the halfling wizard showing hand gestures to a Goblin. The wizard looks up when Salub enters and sees your party behind.

"More prisoners, Salub?" he says to the Hobgoblin.

"No, Beto, it's a rescue party. Not that you need rescuing. I've given my word you can go free once you teach Lacana how to make the magic missiles." Salub replies, "These would be rescuers wanted to see you and make sure you are well before they do a little job for me."

Beto turns and looks at the party coming in. He doesn't look injured or in distress, "My message got to Sarah, then?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Yes, we are willing to take his job to fetch something and he has agreed to let you go when we return. You are all right then?"

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#154 Post by Eris »

Rex wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:35 pm Ulfgar

"Yes, we are willing to take his job to fetch something and he has agreed to let you go when we return. You are all right then?"
"Yes. I've been treated reasonably well." Beto the Wizard nods and adds with a grumble, "Although if my magic had been working I'd have kicked all of their little green asses."

"Just to let you know, they have some sort of relic or item that makes it hard to cast spells. I can show these Goblins the motions and give them the incantations, but until they turn off whatever they have they aren't going to cast anything...and neither am I." Beto leans in and says to your group, "I don't know the range, but it must be 30 or 40 feet, because their Shaman never brought it closer than that to me and I couldn't get anything to work once she took it out of the bag it was in. Whatever it is shaped like a crystal ball."

"I've never seen anything like it." Beto rubs his hands together, "I really would like to get my hands on that thing! To study it, figure out how it works, but anyway..."

"So, what is the job Salub wants you to do for him?" Beto asks you.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Fetch something, he claims is a relic of his people but hasn't actually told us what it is yet."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by Eris »

Rex wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:58 am Ulfgar

"Fetch something, he claims is a relic of his people but hasn't actually told us what it is yet."
Beto nods, "Probably what brought this bunch here. Goblins and Hobgoblins haven't been reported in this area for a couple of years. The locals thought they'd all moved much further inland."

"Of course, if Salub is being straight with me, he's going to let me go once I teach this goblin how to cast Magic Missile anyway, so you don't *have* to take his deal." says Beto, "I'd be interested to know what they want so badly, though, so I might sweeten the deal as an incentive.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"I don't trust him, but I have no reason to at the moment other than he is a hobgoblin of course."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

"I certainly wonder what exactly they are sending us after."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by Eris »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 am Ulfgar

"I don't trust him, but I have no reason to at the moment other than he is a hobgoblin of course."
"That is usually reason enough." nods Beto adding with a shrug, "But this bunch seems to follow some sort of law, not *our* laws, but laws of a sort. So, maybe trustworthy up to a point. I've no idea what that point is, though."

The small wizard takes a cord from around his neck and hands it to Ulfgar. The cord has a small ring-like object threaded on it. The object is wooden and is covered in carved runes, "Here, take this Amulet of Skill. While you wear it anything you do will have a better chance of succeeding. Not by a great deal, but by a small amount every time. Well, until it doesn't, then you'll have to let it recharge and that usually takes a few hours. It didn't seem to help me any when the Goblins came for me, but then all of my magic was off. I tried to cast, but nothing seemed to work. Still doesn't work here, doesn't fail, but just doesn't work...if you know what I mean."

Amulet of Skill: Player adds 1 to any die rolled for the current wearer, not 1 to the total, but 1 to any die. There is a 1 in 20 chance the Amulet will become exhausted on any use and stop working thereafter for 2d6 hours. The runes covering the Amulet flash green each time it aids the wearer. When exhausted the runes fade away and the Amulet needs to be taken off and placed in the dark to recharge. When it has recharged the runes will reappear on the Amulet's surface. Perhaps the most important effect of the Amulet of Skill is the wearer cannot Critically Fail (roll a 1) on any attempt because the amulet's effect makes the minimum number appearing on a die 2.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by Eris »

Salub steps back into the room where you are talking to Beto the Wizard and says, "All right, you've seen the Wizard and see that he is not being mistreated. Are you satisfied now?"

"Come with me and I will take you to the doorway and tell you want I want from you." he says impatiently.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark)”