[001] A Wizard in Danger

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[001] A Wizard in Danger

#1 Post by Eris »

OOC: I'm going to throw you right into things...:) Pick one of your characters (or both if you what to play both right now) and let's see what happens when you hear about A Wizard in Danger!

The Halfling came rushing up to you in the Dirty Ditch tavern just as you are finishing your mid day meal wringing her hands, "Oh, you must help me! I think my Uncle Beto is in trouble!"

The Halfling was named Sarah and she owns the Dirty Ditch, you were new to town, but you had met her when she drew ales and brought bowls of stew out for each of you.

"He and I send messages by carrier pigeon, you see, and I just got this message.", Sarah laid the small piece of paper out on the table where you were drinking, it read...

"Help! They're at my door and my magic isn't working! Send help!"

Sarah says, "Uncle Beto is a wizard. He moved out of Mecklingburg a couple months ago to a cottage about a mile north of town. He said he needed privacy for his magical research and the folks here in town kept disturbing him."

Sarah, still wringing her hands, pleaded with you, "Go try to save him, please! I'll pick up your bar tab for a month if you'll do it!"

-----

That was under an hour ago, back at the Dirty Ditch. It was no trouble getting to the cottage. You passed through the Mecklingburg City Gate and went up the road and then down a path to a clearing just as Sarah told you.

You are near the Old Wall that crosses the isthmus that separates Mecklingburg and the peninsula south of it from the mainland. The area south of Mecklingburg is reported to be pretty safe, the area between the town and the Old Wall not too dangerous, but the mainland beyond, well that's dark and deadly country. Of course you're new here so you don't know if what you've been told is true. The whole area could be teeming with all sorts of dangers for all you really know.

However, here you are, looking at a small cottage with a couple of out buildings in a small clearing. You have cover from bushes next to the path so you can observe without being seen. Looking around you see there is thick forest around this clearing, but afternoon sunlight filters through the leaves showing the clearing and its contents clearly. There is an outhouse, a barn...you think...and the cottage. Everything looks normal. Yes, it certainly looks peaceful enough. Why, there is even a trail of smoke rising from the chimney. But wait a minute....the door!

The door appears to have been broken and is hanging half open by one hinge. Something is wrong with this picture...

What do you do?

OOC: So who has come to check on Beto the Wizard...and get a free month of ale? Introduce yourselves and decide what you do next.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] A Wizard in Danger

#2 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

Glad to be finally off the ship, Wendel appreciates the ale, and a floor that doesn't keep moving. Looking around he ponders his future in this place. "Maybe I should have gone with that other opportunity." he thinks to himself "...what was it?...Jackal Pass, or something like that. Oh well, a man must make his destiny with whatever opportunities come his way. At least the ale is good."

Wendel is tall and slim, with short black hair and a neatly trimmed beard. He seems a little old for a wizard just out of his apprenticeship. He wears clothes of read and a wide leather belt, and his shirt sleeves are always rolled back up to his elbows. When asked about this he simply replies "It's just habit now, it hides the blood.", and then when he undoubtedly gets an odd look from his statement, he adds "I was a chirurgeon before I was a wizard."

pic here

============

When the halfling arrives asking for help he decides that helping out a fellow wizard is a must, and it never hurts to get in with the locals. "I will help, what kind of man would I be if I didn't help a fellow wizard in need. How about the rest of you?". he looks around at the others at the table, those he knows from the ship.

============

Arriving at the cottage, he takes in the state of the door, and whispers, "Either a single creature of particular strength, or there are multiple lesser creatures. Does anyone fancy sneaking over to a window to take a closer look?"
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

Fergus sat in the tavern in a good mood, enjoying the beer. The only slight cloud was the single gold piece in his pouch, but there must be opportunities around here for a man like him.

Fergus is of average height and muscular, with long blond hair he seems rather proud of. The youth has kept mostly to himself on the voyage, when asked about why he is there he simply states that he is seeking his fortune. While he has revealed little about his past during the voyage, he seems to be a regimented man in his daily actions, each morning before breakfast he would make sure his weapon and armour is in good order.

pic here

==========

When the halfling arrives looking for help, Fergus shows little interest until the free bar tab is mentioned, then you can almost see his ears prick up. "I will help." is all he says to Wendels enquiry.

===========

When the group arrives at the cottage and Wendel asks about sneaking, Fergus shakes his head and replies quietly "If you want me to hit something, I'm your man, but sneaking, that's for someone else."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar found his way to Dirty Ditch searching for someone in need of a scout. Maybe he finally found someone.

Pic here: viewtopic.php?p=685256#p685256

At the cottage:
"Strong indeed, I will take a closer look."

He sneaks up to the door and looks inside, axe at the ready.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Eris »

Wendel, Fergus, and Ulfgar at Beto's cottage:

OOC: I hope we have a couple more PCs show up. They can catch up with you two easily enough as they arrive...but for now, game on!

Ulfgar, the Dwarf, moves low and fast across the open ground of the clearing heading to the left of the half open door. He pauses at the wall of the cottage and looks and listens.

He sees... Ulfgar has advantage with a Scout background and this is an easy task 8+[1d20]=9 [1d20]=2 success!
...tracks in the dirt. Small feet, the size of Goblins maybe. tracks going and and out of the house. Drag marks, they were dragging someone out, also small. The tracks and drag marks head around the cottage toward the north and into the dark forest beyond.

Ulfgar hears nothing other than his breathing. It is quiet here now.

Peering around the door frame into interior of the cottage Ulfgar sees a shambles. Broken and overturned furniture and scattered papers and parchment litters the floor. There is no sign of life, nor death for that matter.

From the edge of the clearing Wendel and Fergus watch the Dwarf run forward, pause, then peek around the door into the interior. They see no other movement in, or around, the clearing.

What do you do now?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Looks like maybe goblins snatched him. The little buggers are dangerous like that. See, drag marks here going off into the forest. We should follow and see if we can catch them before they get to far."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

"Goblins, eh? Particularly dangerous in large groups. I wonder what they want the wizard for? We should probably make haste, they have quite the head-start."

He makes his way over to Ulfgar and peers in the doorway. Seeing the mess inside..."Hmm, they were obviously looking for something."
Last edited by shaidar on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

Hearing of danger, the fighter shifts his shield of off his back onto his arm.

"Hah, I'll smash those little creeps to bits."

He stands and makes his way over to Ulfgar, hand on his sword pommel.

"Let's go!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar will continue to try and follow the goblins trail.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Ulfgar, Wendal, and Fergus

Ulfgar
The trail is easy enough to follow for Ulfgar. It leads around and north of the cottage and into the dark forest. Once you reach the edge of the forest, Ulfgar notes broken twigs and other signs of passage and a just beyond the brush that edges the forest he spies a what looks like an animal trail leading north. The tracks he is following merge with the trail and continue north winding past a clump of tree trunks. OOC: I'm stopping Ulfgar right here at the edge of the forest to see if Fergus and/or Wendal join him.

Fergus
OOC: I interpreted Fergus' "Let's go!" as meaning he is following Ulfgar closely, is that right?

Wendal
OOC: I interpreted Wendal's move/comment as being at the cottage door peering inside. Is he joining Ulfgar or doing something else?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Fergus is not far behind Ulfgar.

Wendel

The wizard watches the others head towards the forest edge.

"Maybe it's worth having a quick look inside? We might learn something about what the goblins were up to?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Make it quick, the trail is growing cold."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

Wendel nods "I will."

He heads into the cottage to look around for any hint of what the goblins want with the wizard.

(He'll spend no more than 5 minutes in the cottage looking)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Eris »

Wendel in the Cottage
shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:01 am Wendel nods "I will."

He heads into the cottage to look around for any hint of what the goblins want with the wizard.

(He'll spend no more than 5 minutes in the cottage looking)
Is is a mess in the cottage with things thrown about, drawers and cabinets opened and papers and parchment scattered. It isn't obvious what sort of research Beto was doing from a quick look about. Wendel, sees an unopened cabinet door set six feet off the floor, too high for a halfling...or goblins...to reach without standing on something.

He opens the closed cabinet door and finds two small bottles filled with an amber liquid and a scroll case.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

Wendel picks up the bottles, looking for any marking or indication of what the contents might be. He then examines the scroll case.

Whether he can identify the items or not, he will tuck them away safely on his person and join the others outside to go after the goblins.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Eris »

Windel in the cottage.
shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:09 pm Wendel picks up the bottles, looking for any marking or indication of what the contents might be. He then examines the scroll case.

Whether he can identify the items or not, he will tuck them away safely on his person and join the others outside to go after the goblins.
The potion bottles are actually marked, they are both Healing Potions. The scroll case contains a scroll. He immediately identifies it as a spell for casting Mage Armor.

Wendel is aware that time is passing and the Fighters outside are getting impatient...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

Wendel heads outside and joins the others, showing them the items:

"All I found were these, two healing potions and a scroll that summons armour onto the wizard. These could be useful if we have to fight goblins."

He hands a potion each to Ulfgar and Fergus "If your going to be up front fighting, you should take these. I'm ready to go now."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Thanks. I will lead the way."

He takes the potion and leads the way.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Eris »

Ulfgar, Wendel and Fergus in the Trail

Fergus and Ulfgar each take one of the small bottles offered them by Wendel and immediately, Ulfgar turns and examines the ground before setting off along the trail with Fergus and Wendel following him closely.

All three can see the tracks on the ground that look like someone is being dragged along. The forest grows thicker and the light more dim as the trio head north along the trail. After a couple of minutes of walking the tracks have almost disappeared, only Ulfgar can see them now.

Suddenly, all three PCs hear a quietly speaking voices ahead and around a bend in the trail.

Wendel understands what is being said...it is in Goblin,

One grumbles, "This is boring! No one is gonna follow us, no one knows we took that guy."
Two replies sharply with a hissing voice, "Shut up! Boss said sit here until dark, we sit here 'till dark!"

There is then more rustling in the brush up ahead. Whoever is up there is out of sight and clearly hasn't seen or heard you.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by shaidar »

Wendel whispers a translation to the others

"What next?" he then asks (still whispering)

Return to “Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark)”