[001] A Wizard in Danger

Eris
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] A Wizard in Danger

#121 Post by shaidar »

Fergus stays quiet, but his eyes dart around, keeping an eye on the creatures.

Wendel

The wizard gives no hint that he understands the goblin tongue, hoping he might overhear some useful unguarded comment at some point.

In common: "So does your boss, Salub isn't it, have any other hobgoblin friends around, or is he the only one?"

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:53 pm Fergus stays quiet, but his eyes dart around, keeping an eye on the creatures.

Wendel

The wizard gives no hint that he understands the goblin tongue, hoping he might overhear some useful unguarded comment at some point.

In common: "So does your boss, Salub isn't it, have any other hobgoblin friends around, or is he the only one?"
"Yeah, a few with him, but it's us Goblins that run the show overall." says Zigak tapping his chest, "Salub is boss, but he ain't The Boss."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Marullus »

Willow is like a cat on a stove, watching the coming and going of every goblin and listening to their unintelligible gutteral utterances.

"I expected some exaggeration," replies Naugrim to Zigak, "so I am surprised you only told the minimal truth. A show of good faith is required, of course... we must see the kidnapped wizard and confirm his good health."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:48 am Willow is like a cat on a stove, watching the coming and going of every goblin and listening to their unintelligible gutteral utterances.

"I expected some exaggeration," replies Naugrim to Zigak, "so I am surprised you only told the minimal truth. A show of good faith is required, of course... we must see the kidnapped wizard and confirm his good health."
"Fine by me." says Zigak speaking in Common, "O'course, Salub gonna have the say on that. Here he comes, just play along and I'll get ya in good with him."

He stops talking as a large Hobgoblin flanked by two more and followed by five Goblins comes through the hole in the wall.

"What's this all about, worm?" says the big Hobgoblin in Common, "Why'd you bring these monsters here instead of killing 'em?"

"Oh great, Salub!" Zigak bows and genuflects dropping both knees to the ground, "I bring great warriors to ya. Great warriors that don't worship the true god. They can go into the taboo place and get that thing ya want for ya when us worthless ones can't. All they want is that stupid old Magic man back when yo're done with him."

Zigak risks a sidewise look up at Salub and says switching to Goblinoid, "Win! Win! Boss! They don't know ya gonna turn him loose anyway and ya get a fool bunch a rubes to go into that bad ju ju place were none of *us* is gonna go." He risks a wink at Salub when he's done before dropping his forehead to the ground.

The big Hobgoblin, Salub, stands rock still for several moments then turns to your group and says in Common, "So, you want the Wizard back, eh? He's busy teaching right now, but when he's done with that, I might be willing to sell him to you. The other one, too.

Zigak, here, says you are Warriors." Salub sneers, "You don't look like Warriors....

He stops and spreads his hands and smiles at you, "...but hey! Looks can be wrong, right? And we're not looking for a big fight here, or nothing. We're just here to, um, recover."

"Yeah, recover, a lost item. Turns out we can't just go get it...but you might. So, I might make a deal with you. If you do me a little favor...ya follow me?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar looks over the hobgoblins and goblins, trying to judge how dangerous they are.

"We will listen to your offer, but will need to talk it over before we decide to accept."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

The mage looks at the hobgoblin, "It seems that you need us to do something that your goblins are unwilling, or unable, to do. If we agree to do this for you then the wizard, and the other one, will be released and allowed to leave unmolested first. We also get to keep anything we find there, apart from the item you want, of course."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Marullus »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:41 am The big Hobgoblin, Salub, stands rock still for several moments then turns to your group and says in Common, "So, you want the Wizard back, eh? He's busy teaching right now, but when he's done with that, I might be willing to sell him to you. The other one, too.
"Sell him to us?" interjects Naugrim. "I think you misunderstand your situation. Under the Kudzul Convocation of the Goblin Punic Wars Article 3, the life of any involved in these crimes is already forfeit for kidnapping, skulduggery, and as you now admit to, an attempt at criminal extortion as well."

"We are here to rectify your kidnapping and allow you to amend the error of this crime. A dozen of your... men... operatives... already assaulted us and met a swift end. Rather than trying to compound your problems by attempting extortion, you would be best served bringing forth the wizard that we can ascertain his status and... willingness to aid you."

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:41 am Zigak, here, says you are Warriors." Salub sneers, "You don't look like Warriors....
"Try me." says Willow, the miniature woman already on edge and holding her loaded bow.
Willow Intimidation (CHA) [1d20+2]=8+2=10
Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:41 am He stops and spreads his hands and smiles at you, "...but hey! Looks can be wrong, right? And we're not looking for a big fight here, or nothing. We're just here to, um, recover."
"Yeah, recover, a lost item. Turns out we can't just go get it...but you might. So, I might make a deal with you. If you do me a little favor...ya follow me?"
shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:42 am Wendel looks at the hobgoblin, "It seems that you need us to do something that your goblins are unwilling, or unable, to do. If we agree to do this for you then the wizard, and the other one, will be released and allowed to leave unmolested first. We also get to keep anything we find there, apart from the item you want, of course."
"I would not overestimate your position here, Salub. You cannot achieve your own aims or obtain the item you want, besides the consequences of the crimes you have already committed in pursuit of it. There is quite a force against you with ire regarding your kidnapping of the wizard and, with Zigak helpfully allowing us to map the route to you, you will likely all be slain if you don't arrive at an acceptable conclusion with us. This requires presenting the wizard now, returning him to us ultimately unharmed, and our agreement to return and plead the resolution of these issues without your, and all of your companions, painful deaths. If we wish to reach a better accord with you by aiding you with acquiring your items is actually secondary to this situation... and would require additional displays of your goodwill for our aid." The litigious and official dwarf rests the head of his mace in his off hand, the easy confidence of his demeanor underlying his words.

Negotiations rolled with advantage...
Naugrim Negotiation (CHA) [1d20+1]=20+1=21[1d20+1]=9+1=10
Boom!

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by Eris »

Orram in the Compound

Orram has been trying to teach a couple of Goblins how to pick locks for the last couple of days. They almost have it...almost. The big Hobgoblin, Salub, told him they'd let him go once he proves that these two can pick the lock on the chest over in the corner of this dusty room. He doesn't know if he believes him, but in his favor they haven't killed or even mistreated him yet and the food is bad, but it's the same stuff they eat, so he can't really complain about it too much. There are only two sets of lock picks, his and one Salub handed him, so he has to show them with one and let them take turns practicing with the other. Both of them have nimble fingers, but neither speak much Common and he doesn't speak any Goblinoid...makes communicating hard, teaching slow.

Orram knows there's a new captive in the compound. There was a buzz about it earlier today and Janak translated for him. The Goblins seemed excited to have another "teacher" here. This one is a 'magic man', probably a Wizard of some kind.

But this is all weird! Goblins and Hobgoblins don't act like this! They just pillage and kill, at least, that's what he'd always heard. But if they hadn't come along and pulled him out of the water after the ship he was on wreaked he'd be dead so he couldn't begrudge them wanting to learn from him...could he?

A Goblin sticks his head in the doorway and chatters something excitedly and the one of the "wanna be" thieves turns to listen.

The one who calls himself Bomo translates into broken Common, "A ya! New folk comin. Gonna get you and magic man for go to bad ju ju place says Boss. Boss say you go with em too when we open box."

The other goblin, a female named Janak, who has been tinkering with the practice lock while Bomo spoke to you suddenly squeals, "Weee!" as you hear the lock click and fall open, "I gots it! I gots it, good!"

"Janak do it. Bomo stupid. Janak smart!" she gloats at the other student who frowns and swats her upside the head saying, "Bomo stronger."

Snapping the practice lock shut, Janak tosses it to him laughing, "Stronger no good on this. Be smart Bomo or Salub eat you ears. Hee, hee!"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by Eris »

Everyone Ouside the Compound
shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:42 am Wendel

The mage looks at the hobgoblin, "It seems that you need us to do something that your goblins are unwilling, or unable, to do. If we agree to do this for you then the wizard, and the other one, will be released and allowed to leave unmolested first. We also get to keep anything we find there, apart from the item you want, of course."
Salub starts to speak then Naugrim breaks in with his legal diatribe.

Salub blinks at Naugrim and then simply snorts and says, "Got to get us into a court and you ain't going to do that. Maybe kill us, but we get some of you first." before turning back to Wendel, "Now this one I can talk to, not Mister Mumbo Jumbo or Miss Wanta Shoot Somebody. Yeah, yeah, we big bad crooks and yeah you gotta bow and arrow, but we can make a deal. Nobody gets hurt, everybody makes out good, is better than anybody getting dead right now."

Salub points at Wendel, "This one I'll talk to. Yeah, you go get the 'Totum' out of the Old Bastard's Tomb and give it to me and everybody goes free and we go back where we came from far away from this damn place! My Boss wants that Totum, he don't care about anything else here, so yeah anything you find down there, except that, is yours. That Totum belongs to our god and it goes home with us."

"Now, about the two teachers we've got. You take one of them with you when you go get the Totum, the one who is teaching pick locks. The one that does magic stays here and teaches how to make Magic Missiles to my shaman. You can have him back when you bring me the Totum. We won't hurt him and even if you die we'll let him go after he finishes teaching. Promise!"

"Now that's a fair deal, ain't it?"

Salub cocks his head and looks first at Wendel and then the rest of you, "Deal?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar decides to speak up, "We need to see them both first and make sure they are all right and agree to this as well."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by shaidar »

Wendel nods "Yes, let us speak to the captives and discuss it between ourselves and them."

axis57
Strider
Strider

#132 Post by axis57 »

Orram speaks to his two proteges trying to pry some information about his fate.

Bad juju place? What makes it so dangerous?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by Eris »

Ulfgar decides to speak up, "We need to see them both first and make sure they are all right and agree to this as well."

Wendel nods "Yes, let us speak to the captives and discuss it between ourselves and them."

"Yeah, that's reasonable." Salub nods, "I'll take you to them, but I want your word you're gonna behave. No sneak attacking or trying any tricks. If we can't make a deal we might end up having to fight it out, but that won't be my choice, you got it? Okay?"

If he gets an okay from you he'll say "Follow me." turn and take you through the hole in the wall to the compound's interior.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"You have my word as long as I have yours, we are negotiating in good faith after all."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

"I agree, we have no reason to cause trouble."

Fergus

The warrior looks sceptical, but says

"OK, but if you try anything the deal is off and you'll regret it."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by Eris »

axis57 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:45 am Orram speaks to his two proteges trying to pry some information about his fate.

Bad juju place? What makes it so dangerous?
Bomo doesn't turn from where he is tinkering with the lock, but says, "Taboo! Old One Eye will strike us dead if we go in there."

Janak nods, "The Shaman read runes on the place. It belongs to the god you call Ord. We can't go in there, but there's more to it than that."

CLICK! goes the lock and Bomo hoots, "Got it! Not so dumb now toe jam!"

Janak shakes her head and ignores Bomo, "Salub got a couple of dwarfs to go in there a few days ago and we saw them get killed by a bunch of bone men even before they got out of sight."

Bomo turns to Orram and says, "And they was Dwarfs, not Goblins. It's a temple to one of their gods. Nope! We ain't going in there no matter what Salub, or even the big boss, says about it."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by Eris »

Ulfgar says, "You have my word as long as I have yours, we are negotiating in good faith after all."

Wendel says, "I agree, we have no reason to cause trouble."

Fergus joins in, looking skeptical, but saying, "OK, but if you try anything the deal is off and you'll regret it."

"Goes without saying." Salub replies, "But I'll say it anyway. You got my word. We won't attack or trick you as long as you don't attack or try to trick us."

OOC: General agreement?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Agreed. Onward!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by shaidar »

Agreed.

axis57
Strider
Strider

#140 Post by axis57 »

Excellent job to the both of you. Now we'll move on the various traps that one must avoid while lockpicking such as trap doors and poison spikes.

While Orram is demonstrating how to avoid a poisoned spike embedded in a locking mechanism he directs a question at Janak as she seems to be the more communicative of the pair.

What exactly is inside this box that your leader wants so bad?

Return to “Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark)”