OOC chat

TheMyth
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC chat

#21 Post by Darithe »

Just wanted to check in. I have not finalized a character yet but judging by the rolls for me, I'd likely go Cleric or Fighter switching out gold with one ability. Do we have a time frame on when the character must be done? Just so I can work it over in my head before I start finalizing her.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by TheMyth »

Darithe wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:03 pm Just wanted to check in. I have not finalized a character yet but judging by the rolls for me, I'd likely go Cleric or Fighter switching out gold with one ability. Do we have a time frame on when the character must be done? Just so I can work it over in my head before I start finalizing her.
Take your time. Btw, rules do allow, for example, an unlikely Magic-User with an Intelligence 3.... So play whatever you want! :D

I was not expecting everyone to jump to it so quickly, so I was not expecting to start until after Christmas (Monday, Dec 25).

If we DO start earlier, I intend to do a "you meet at the inn" intro, which will allow for info gathering and weaving in anyone who joins late.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Edeldhur »

Holiday season is a busy one for me, as I expect it is for most - I just come back here every once in a while to check the thread and work on the character.

Started creating Ellith, the Elf in the Dice roller, and linked it to the Campaign. Good progress!

And Merry Christmas everyone!

(Testing the embed)

Nice and simple!

Edit: And it updates as we update the sheet? That’s a great feature.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by TheMyth »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:58 am Holiday season is a busy one for me, as I expect it is for most - I just come back here every once in a while to check the thread and work on the character.

Started creating Ellith, the Elf in the Dice roller, and linked it to the Campaign. Good progress!

And Merry Christmas everyone!

(Testing the embed)

Nice and simple!

Edit: And it updates as we update the sheet? That’s a great feature.
I should play with that feature to make a DMPC....

Also, since everyone is using the fancy widget, we can place those in ROLL CALL after I approve them instead of the text form I have there now.

Be aware that I would like a simple Background story for your character.

Just a sentence or 3 is fine. A paragraph or 2 if you feel inspired. But please keep novella-length fanfic for your Creative Writing class, ok? If you do something stupid and the PC dies in the first battle, that's a lot of wasted energy, yo! (And YES that almost happened once!)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Are both new spells (Bless Weapon and Shield of Faith) first level?

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#26 Post by Edeldhur »

TheMyth wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:04 pm Be aware that I would like a simple Background story for your character.

Just a sentence or 3 is fine. A paragraph or 2 if you feel inspired. But please keep novella-length fanfic for your Creative Writing class, ok? If you do something stupid and the PC dies in the first battle, that's a lot of wasted energy, yo! (And YES that almost happened once!)
Perfectly fine of course - I grabbed the opportunity to read up on Mystara and elves specifically, and have been looking over this amazing Mystara Player’s Guide from the Vault of Pandius during the holiday break. It is written for 5e, but that is irrelevant for the content itself, about the regions, races, etc. Really an amazing work, and I highly recommend it.

As for spells… I might not go with Sleep. I know how strong it is, but it is also kind of broken, and I am not a big fan of broken content :P

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by TheMyth »

Edeldhur wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:06 pm
TheMyth wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:04 pm Be aware that I would like a simple Background story for your character.

Perfectly fine of course - I grabbed the opportunity to read up on Mystara and elves specifically, and have been looking over this amazing Mystara Player’s Guide from the Vault of Pandius during the holiday break. It is written for 5e, but that is irrelevant for the content itself, about the regions, races, etc. Really an amazing work, and I highly recommend it.
The Vault of Pandius is truly an amazing site. But keep in mind, I have specifically chosen to go with a homebrew world because there is simply SO DARN MUCH written about the Known World (later called Mystara) that it is impossible for non hardcore fans to get it straight. So, use Pandius for inspiration, but do not expect any of it to be used by me.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:08 am Are both new spells (Bless Weapon and Shield of Faith) first level?
Actually, there are 3. And, yes, they are spells added to Myrrh's "spellbook" of available first level spells.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

TheMyth wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:45 pm
Rex wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:08 am Are both new spells (Bless Weapon and Shield of Faith) first level?
Actually, there are 3. And, yes, they are spells added to Myrrh's "spellbook" of available first level spells.
Great, thanks.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Edeldhur »

TheMyth wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:42 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:06 pm

The Vault of Pandius is truly an amazing site. But keep in mind, I have specifically chosen to go with a homebrew world because there is simply SO DARN MUCH written about the Known World (later called Mystara) that it is impossible for non hardcore fans to get it straight. So, use Pandius for inspiration, but do not expect any of it to be used by me.
Yeah no worries, I am just using it for inspiration on Elven society ;)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

Let me know when Myrrh is approved and I will post his sheet in the sheet thread. I think he is ready anyways, let me know if I missed something.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Does OSE allow for two handed melee? For example, if my character is a thief who is not allowed to use a shield, could he use two short swords during melee combat?

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by TheMyth »

thirdkingdom wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:17 pm I'm running a bit behind on character creation. Will get to it ASAP.

You're fine. Ask any questions if you have any.
BaltoBruiser wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:22 pm Does OSE allow for two handed melee? For example, if my character is a thief who is not allowed to use a shield, could he use two short swords during melee combat?
Officially, no. Have I considered house ruling it? Yes.

Right now, let's go with 0/-4 if weapons are equal size (which is the Rules Cyclopedia suggestion). But 0/-4 (modified by DEX bonus) if the second weapon is a dagger.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Edeldhur »

TheMyth wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:07 am
thirdkingdom wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:17 pm I'm running a bit behind on character creation. Will get to it ASAP.

You're fine. Ask any questions if you have any.
BaltoBruiser wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:22 pm Does OSE allow for two handed melee? For example, if my character is a thief who is not allowed to use a shield, could he use two short swords during melee combat?
Officially, no. Have I considered house ruling it? Yes.

Right now, let's go with 0/-4 if weapons are equal size (which is the Rules Cyclopedia suggestion). But 0/-4 (modified by DEX bonus) if the second weapon is a dagger.
OSE has some optional rules for two weapon fighting in the advanced ruleset, if you want to use them.

Attacking with Two Weapons (Optional Rule)

Characters with DEX or STR as a prime requisite may choose to wield two one-handed weapons, as follows:
▶ The secondary weapon must be of small size (e.g. a dagger or hand axe).
▶ Attacks with the primary weapon suffer a –2 penalty.
▶ The character may make one extra attack per round with the secondary weapon, at a –4 attack penalty.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by BaltoBruiser »

OSE has some optional rules for two weapon fighting in the advanced ruleset, if you want to use them.

Characters with DEX or STR as a prime requisite may choose to wield two one-handed weapons, as follows:
▶ The character may make one extra attack per round with the secondary weapon, at a –4 attack penalty.
That seems a little harsh... my THAC0 on my primary weapon would be 20 (-2 penalty +1 STR bonus) and 22 on my secondary (-4 penalty +1 STR bonus) no DEX help?

I liked the proposed house rule of no penalty on the primary and -4 penalty on secondary offset by +2 DEX bonus and +1 STR bonus.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Its all moot anyway cause the character is going to be sneaking around in the shadows surprising folks from behind getting a +4 attack and double damage....

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by TheMyth »

BaltoBruiser wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:34 am

That seems a little harsh... my THAC0 on my primary weapon would be 20 (-2 penalty +1 STR bonus) and 22 on my secondary (-4 penalty +1 STR bonus) no DEX help?

I liked the proposed house rule of no penalty on the primary and -4 penalty on secondary offset by +2 DEX bonus and +1 STR bonus.
Yeah, I found that OSE Advanced rule online and also found it severe. (To be honest, I really didn't care for most of the Advanced stuff....)

My rule seemed like a good balance between the Rules Cyclopedia suggestion (which seemed lax to me) and AD&D's version in the DMG (which really relied on a high DEX to be efficient).

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by Edeldhur »

TheMyth wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:14 am
BaltoBruiser wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:34 am

Yeah, I found that OSE Advanced rule online and also found it severe. (To be honest, I really didn't care for most of the Advanced stuff....)

My rule seemed like a good balance between the Rules Cyclopedia suggestion (which seemed lax to me) and AD&D's version in the DMG (which really relied on a high DEX to be efficient).
My take on it is that it should be severe - having two attacks per round is a huge advantage in earlier editions, so it should be hard to accomplish it.
But TheMyth is the DM, so his word is final.
I will probably also go two-weapon fighting though. Too good to pass ;)

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by TheMyth »

I have some campaign rumors prepared for the PCs. They might never be pertinent, but you can use them however you wish.

I just have one question (actually two....):

Would you like the rumors sent individually by PM?

Or should I just put them in one public post and let you see them all at once?

Return to “TheMyth's OSE Adventures in Tegel County (OSE)”