Re: The Ongebreidelde Ruin

#21 Post by Spearmint »

sure, let me work on it and I will edit here with some cinematics

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Leitz »

This does not include Blue John's full actions. It is past my night-night time, though. :)

Three jeering pirates joined a screeching Captain Althuis in Jean-Jacques' rope trap, making them easy prey for the Freemasons. Three more pirates succumb to the skeletal but motivated Scots brigade, as Blue John cuts a dashing swath through the boarders.

A cursing scream cut through the din of battle, Mad Dog's bucket of briny deck water bounced off the head of one pirate, knocking him overboard between the two ships. Just then the deck shook as the pirate ship slammed her side into the Ruin. More ropes and grapples flew over the rails and latched on. Another pirate, regaining his balance from the impact, loses it again as Mad Dog shoves mop rope up pirate nostrils.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

Peveril Blue-John

Ok, so drawing upon a drama dice to add some flourish to my buckling of swash, and save the raise attempt.

Blue-John: Drama Dice [1d10]=8 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=9

Invigorating the McCrims' (scot criminals), I will challenge them to follow me with a Braveheart motivation,

"And I see my gallant comrades here in defiance of tyranny and piracy. You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What would you do without freedom? Will you fight?

Aye, fight and you may die. Swim and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all those days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell your enemies that they may take your lives, but they'll never take your freedom!!!

He then advances across the deck, sweeping the pirates fore and aft of him to be set upon by the Scots. Using some fancy footwork and Matrix like moves to dodge under, between and away from lunging blades, seeing the slo-motion passage of a lead bullet flash before the bridge of my nose.

After dealing with a few of the first wave, I salute the pirate captain with my blade, making a formal bow as if inviting her to dance.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by shaidar »

Mad-Dog

Wielding his swab, Mad-Dog appraised the pirates, slowly walking as he chooses his targets.

"Well lads, I hope you're better at fighting than yer captain is at choosing targets. The ruin is the worst ship I've had the misfortune to crew. I hope it's worth the effort, maybe ye need a new captain, just saying..."

Initiative: [_2d10]=(2+9)=11

Init #2:

Mad-Dog chooses a pair of pirates close to each other and hopefully too close to the edge. The swab flips out low as he tries to sweep them both over. Raise!

Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(1+9+1+1+7)=19, total 7+9=16
(phew)

Init #9:

He brings the swab up into the groin of another pirate:

Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(2+10+4+2+9)=27
Exploding dice: [1d10]=8

That's (10+8)+9=27 (ouch)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

Ropes and grapnels have bound the two ships together. Init 2 As more pirates scramble over the rails, Mad Dog smacks two in the head. They fall back onto their own ship, and a loud "thunk" is heard as they imact. Jean-Jacques sends a sloshing amount of greasy remains onto the railing between the two ships, causing another pirate to lose his grip and fall back to his starting point, much smellier than before!

init 6 A pirate leaps over the rail near Jean-Jacques, who simply tosses the bucket to the pirate. Instinctively catching the now empty bucket, the unwitting pirate looks confused. Another seven pirates clamber over the deck of the Ruin, brandishing blades and spreading out for mayhem.

init 9 Mad Dog painfully converts a pirate to celibacy as Jean-Jacques attempts to kick the confused pirate back over the rails. Alas, he stumbles slightly failed attack, but regains his footing quickly. Finding it high time init 10 for stylistic swordsmanship, Jean-Jacques draws his blade and skewers the confused and now fallen pirate.

A wave makes the ships groan together, sails ship and billow, footing is gained and lost. In a brief pause, three of the Scots have gone down in the general melee, as has one of the Freemasons. None of the pirates seem stupid enough to approach the priest, but the Scots and the Freemasons together have accounted for five of the pirates.

There are still two active pirates aboard the Ruin, and another wave climbing over the rails.

Have not seen Init or Action from Blue John.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

Peveril 'Blue-John': initiative [_2d10]=(9+10)=19

Am I missing any extra actions or theatrics?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

So in the next round of combat:

Peveril 'Blue-John': Panache initiatives (3) [_3d10]=(1+10+2)=13

I will stick to fencing off pirates: using a dramatic flourish or two to try and whittle down pirates whilst trying hard not to get stabbed or shot himself. I will focus on the two pirates still on board and try to barge them overboard.

Blue-John: swashbuckling 4k3 vs one raise [1d10]=1 [1d10]=1 [1d10]=9 [1d10]=2 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=7Blue-John: Drama Dice [1d10]=5 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=2

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by shaidar »

Mad-Dog

Initiative: [_2d10]=(10+10)=20

I'm assuming here that he gets two attacks right at the end of the round!

Seeing the new wave of new pirates, he waits got them to come to him and attampts a rapid smack with the end of the mop to the forehead, like potting billiard balls.

First attack, reach for an extra target:

Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(8+6+5+2+3)=24, so 13, I'll use a drama dice:
Drama-dice: [1d10]=1
Gah! So a miss.

Second attack, again a single reach:

Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(1+3+1+2+3)=10, so 6.
With this run of luck I'm not wasting a further drama die.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

so 13, I'll use a drama dice

8+6 +1 drama = 15
. A raise success?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:12 pm
so 13, I'll use a drama dice

8+6 +1 drama = 15
. A raise success?
Yup. Base Roll is 10, and +5 needed for each Raise.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by jemmus »

Jean-Jean lunges with his rapier at the blackguard looking idiotic holding the bucket in his two hands.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Leitz »

Drama Dice (please let me know if I'm incorrect)
Mad Dog: 2 (spent 1, gained 1)
Jean-Jacques: 2
Blue John: 3 (spent 1, gained 1)

Pirates swarmed over the rails, and lesser men would quail under the assault. The two ships rocked in a harsh embrace and salt spray spewed up between them. Sails, barely deployed, cracked as a stiff gust came from nowhere. A few Scots barely stood, reinforced by the remaining Freemasons. Weakened, but determined, the men weilded their make-shift weapons in pale taut hands. Even the priest, scowling, moved forward to join the defense.

Jean-Jacques stood, blooded rapier in hand, as Mad Dog shook his mop and twirled the strings into a tight ball. Blue John caught the eye of the pirate captain, who raised and eyebrow as if asking "What will you do now?"

The last round seems to have gotten away from us, so we're going to wrap it up and move forward. Please give the Combat Sequence post a read, and let's begin a new round.

The pirates go in phases 3 and 8 this round.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by shaidar »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Peveril 'Blue-John'

With a twinkle in his eyes, gold speckled against the sea blue, the swashbuckling buccaneer sees no option but to advance.

Peveril 'Blue-John': Panache initiatives (3) [_3d10]=(7+9+2)=18

Attacking nearby pirates as before with a raise in mind,

Blue-John: swashbuckling 4k3 [1d10]=4 [1d10]=7 [1d10]=1 [1d10]=8 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=2

In my first phase of action (2) I want to clear a path so that upon (7) I can climb up a mast, free a rope and swing athletically across to the other ship, (9) no doubt swiping a riposte at a pirate on a rope coming in the opposite direction.

Again aiming for a Raise that might mean I stab him, sending him into the sea and me onto the opposing deck.

Blue-John: swashbuckling 4k3 [1d10]=9 [1d10]=3 [1d10]=8 [1d10]=3 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=3

Adding some drama to boost the effect.

Blue-John: Drama Dice [1d10]=4 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=1

does that work.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by shaidar »

Mad-Dog

The bos'n decides to let the enemy come to him to give him time to assess their weaknesses.

He notes that one of them has a slight limp, so sends the mop head flying towards the pirates knee, before bring it up under the chin of his neighbour:

(attack on a 6, with a reach)

"If yer wanted to help swabbin' the decks all you had to do was ask, lads."

Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(8+3+7+8+6)=32, so 16

(attack on a 7, another reach)

Keeping up the momentum he spins and brings the mop down on the head of another pirate then sideways into the windpipe of a fourth.

Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(1+5+9+1+10)=26, 19, plus Exploding dice: [1d10]=8 gives 27.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Spearmint »

Peveril 'Blue-John'
As an option to taking the Drama Die, you can specify exactly where BJ lands on the pirate ship. Or you can take the Drama Die, immediately spend it hoping for a 6+, which will give you an even more impressive landing. Or you can keep it for later, your decision.
Blue-John: Drama Dice [1d10]=9 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=5

I will land somersaulting under a pirate's sword swing and standing up behind him, boot him in the behind overboard.

As far as where to land, on the opposing bridge or prow would be okay.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Leitz »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:36 pm Peveril 'Blue-John'
As an option to taking the Drama Die, you can specify exactly where BJ lands on the pirate ship. Or you can take the Drama Die, immediately spend it hoping for a 6+, which will give you an even more impressive landing. Or you can keep it for later, your decision.
Blue-John: Drama Dice [1d10]=9 Exploding Dice? [1d10]=5

I will land somersaulting under a pirate's sword swing and standing up behind him, boot him in the behind overboard.

As far as where to land, on the opposing bridge or prow would be okay.
The pirate captain is on the quarterdeck.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

I will go for the bridge. She can come up to me.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Leitz »

The quarterdeck is where the wheel is, and is the "bridge". I'll play it that way, unless you really want something different.

Blue John swung gracefully over, booting a filthy sea dog into the salty wash, and landed on the ladder to the quarterdeck. He met the gaze of the pirate captain, and she gave him a small, short smile. Yet their visual repartee is broken by a blur of tanned and black muscles, as a mass of tattooed flesh leapt from the other deck ladder to protect his captain. Blue John can see the blood lust in the man's eyes, and the cutlass he holds swings like a well used tool.

The enemy's muscles ripple as he swings at Blue John. He smiled much less warmly than the captain; he orchestrated his cut with the wave's action and his blade struck true. Blue John knew he is up against a worthy foe now, and a deadly enemy.

Good roll by the pirate First Mate. BJ has no other actions, and takes the hit. Blue John takes 11 Flesh Wounds. Roll Resolve [_4d10] and beat an 11 in total. If you do, you still have 11 Flesh Wounds and no Dramatic Wounds. If you somehow manage to fail, you take 1 Dramatic Wound and have 0 Flesh Wounds afterwards.

Mad Dog continued to make the pirates look foolish, as he swabs the pirates and litters the deck with bodies. One of half a dozen fools make a slight cut on Mad Dog's thigh, before swallowing a double fist sized section of mop. Great attack roll by the pirate, but lousy damage. Mad Dog has 2 Flesh Wounds, and can't fail the roll. Just keep them. He dealt with a swarm of miscreant pirates, and soon there were far fewer.

Jean-Jacques provided a crescendo of cut and thrust, taking out several pirates in a short but passionate dance. A deep cut into his left shoulder gave him pause, but he continued to fight on. 1 Dramatic Wound, he is not yet Crippled, so all of his dice still explode.

The priest fights on but is in danger of being overwhelmed. The numbers are against you, and there are more pirates.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by shaidar »

Mad-Dog

Initiative: [_2d10]=(3+7)=10

Instinctively Mad-Dog steps back as he takes a couple of wounds. Almost tripping on something on the deck he glances down and sees some ships tools spilled onto the deck from a locker damaged by a cannon-fire.

He assess his situation, and through a gap caused by the fallen pirates he sees that the priest is hard-pressed and in trouble.

(attack on 3, attempting a reach)

Reaching down to the spilled tools he grabs a pair of meaking irons and sends them spinning towards two of the priest-botherers:

meaking irons :
tmjerry.gif
tmjerry.gif (1.86 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(4+2+1+2+3)=12, a 7, so I'm going to use a drama dice and hope:

Drama-dice: [1d10]=7, a 14 :(

(I may regret this later, but if possible I'd like to use my last drama dice to turn that into a success)

Growing bored with the mop, he picks up a Caulking Mallet from the deck and strikes at a nearby pirate

Caulking mallet:
tmallet.gif
tmallet.gif (26.36 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
(attack at 7)
Dirty Fighting attack (5k2): [_5d10]=(2+4+8+1+4)=19, a 12.

Return to “7th Sea (R&K)”