7th Sea OO Sea

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 7th Sea OO Sea

#21 Post by shaidar »

I don't think mad-dog would have a brace of pistols of his own, he's more of an opportunist in this area.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Leitz »

shaidar, your roll interpretations are spot on!

Let me fix a miscommunication on my part, though. To influence anyone in Dona Lopez-Etrenos' "group", you need to either deal with the Dona herself, or Geraldo, her manservant. Mad Dog is certain that he would have a better chance with Geraldo, and thus the roll applies to him.

The Scot criminals are below, but there's time to deal with them if you like. In addition to your Incitation, add your Streetwise Socialization to the Unkept Dice; that should make it 6k3. All you have to do is figure out how to get them free. ;)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Leitz »

A quick note on my DM style. If you are given a seemingly impossible task, I have figured out at least one way to accomplish it. That way may not be obvious, nor guaranteed to work, but it is there. Of course, if you come up with a blindingly brilliant alternative, we'll all be better off.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by shaidar »

8-)

I'll have a think about the criminals, although I suppose they might join the pirates!

Do we know what they've done? Also do we have any idea how good the locks are on this dump of a ship? Anything a good whack from a hammer or other tool might break (the freemason's tools?)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

Any Catholic PC would recognize that the Spanish priest is an Inquisitor.

The Jewish men are not wealthy, but not poor, either. Thus they likely have some trade they engage in.

The Freemasons are a prime example of renaissance engineers, as you thought. What skills they have is unknown.

No one has spoken of the crimes of the Scots. However, if they had been found guilty (which is at the whim of the court of the era) of a capitol crime, they would have been executed. They could be here from a wide variety of things; recurring public drunkenness, poverty, moral impurity, or whatever.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

Who is keeping the criminals chained, under what jurisdiction? The Captain paid to take them from A to B. Is there not any militia or provost watching over them or are they mutinous crew put in the Brig by the Captain (hence only six crew not more?)

Who would stop me setting them free?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Leitz »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:52 pm Who is keeping the criminals chained, under what jurisdiction? The Captain paid to take them from A to B. Is there not any militia or provost watching over them or are they mutinous crew put in the Brig by the Captain (hence only six crew not more?)

Who would stop me setting them free?
Fluyts were made to do with less crew, and the criminals are "paid passengers" of a sort. They do not seem to be sailors, but are dressed in worn working class clothes. At the moment there's no one stopping you from doing much of anything.

Mad Dog, having been far below decks, knows the prisoners are held by single ankle cuffs that are forged closed, and looped through a chain that is locked to a stout beam. The Captain does not have the key.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Spearmint »

The Captain does not have the key.
Who does? Surely not transported slave like with just a bucket to share as amenities. Who chained them and overarcs their custody above the Captain.

I have a pistol. I will go shoot the lock.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Leitz »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:01 pm
The Captain does not have the key.
Who does? Surely not transported slave like with just a bucket to share as amenities. Who chained them and overarcs their custody above the Captain.
You're right...they don't have a bucket. No idea who or what got them here, they are cargo. However, if the pirates sink the ship, the Scots will die.
Spearmint wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:01 pm I have a pistol. I will go shoot the lock.
Automatic hit, roll pistol Damage (4k3). TN is 5, and you have time for a second shot, if needed.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

Okay, I'll ask. Who is Atticus?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Ok. For some reason I read the name in Shaidar's post and part of me related it to Jemmus character.

I will edit in John-Jacques

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by shaidar »

Apologies, I got my character names confused in my post, fixed it now.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by jemmus »

"Shipboard Improvised Weapons for 200."
-"It has a hook, but it's not for fishing."
"What is a boot hook."
-"Correct."

"Shipboard Improvised Weapons for 400."
-"This container can be kicked at someone."
"What is a bucket?"
-"Correct."

"Shipboard Improvised Weapons for 600."
-"This implement can be used to wash a deck or repel a boarder."
"What is a mop?"
-"I'm sorry, incorrect. Lana or Garrett?"
Lana: "What is a swab?"
-"Correct. Lana, your board."
"Shipboard Improvised Weapons for 800."
-"The ends of taut ropes are wrapped around this stick-like object."
"What is a belaying pin?"
-"Correct."

"Shipboard Improvised Weapons for 1000."
-"Hitting two of these together might knock some sense into them."
[silence. silence.] [buzzer]
-"Sailors' heads."
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Leitz »

Jemmus, that was funny!

Spearmint, roll Resolve, no explosions.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Spearmint »

Peveril Blue-John

Blue-John: rolls Resolve (4): [1d10]=9 [1d10]=4[1d10]=3[1d10]=4

Like that? I think I score 13 at least?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Leitz »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:37 am Peveril Blue-John

Blue-John: rolls Resolve (4): [1d10]=9 [1d10]=4[1d10]=3[1d10]=4

Like that? I think I score 13 at least?
In general, but not always, you Keep the number of dice equal to your stat. In this case, you keep all four dice, and I think that makes it a 20. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Leitz »

Morally, I set this up without too many constraints. That you could become pirates is an option. Mechanically, there are some potential questions about your plan.
Spearmint wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:12 pm The pirates board, run to the lower decks and engrossed in the excesses of cleavage and bosoms, go to their natural plundering instincts.
How likely are they to ignore all of the people on the upper deck?
Spearmint wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:12 pm Meanwhile we, characters & criminals dive overboard of the port side. Swimming underneath the keel of our ship, underneath the adjacent pirate ship and surface again on their starboard side.
Remember, the ships are still moving slightly, so you'd have to swim hard and fast. Most people in this era can't swim at all.
Spearmint wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:12 pm We climb up, kill any remnant crew on board, cut the grappling ropes that bind ships together and sail away, taking the pirate ship as ours and leaving the Ruin to its fate.
Look at the sides of the average sailing ship of the era. They are wet, slippery, and difficult to climb.

In general, pirates rely on aggression and fear to win. Most merchants don't have an armed contingent aboard, and most people hope to be spared. Your basic premise that the pirate ship can be taken is valid, but I'm not sure your plan is viable.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Ok. We will stand and fight.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Leitz »

Blue John has the Tactics Knack, please roll with Wits (Tactics + Wits, Keep Wits) to evaluate the pirates as they come into view.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by shaidar »

If nobody steps up I'll roll for the gun, what is the roll?

Also, is there some roll for Mad-Dog to make to do something to the rigging/masts/spars to either make it more difficult to swing across or to strike at them as they arrive , e.g. rigging falling on them, a spar swinging around and knocking the off of their ropes?

If the ship is done for then he's not too worries about doing further damage, as long as they might be able to limp to port after.

Return to “7th Sea (R&K)”