Chapter IV - Comancheria (Charlie & Ezekiel)

jemmus
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter IV - Comancheria (Charlie & Ezekiel)

#101 Post by Bluetongue »

Campbell says, "Mr. Charlie, Mr. Ezekiel, y'all got an suggestions? We're sure enough open to any good ideas or possible solutions."
'Sarge' Ezekiel

Ezekiel: Observation (14) [1d20]=1 Luck (7) [1d20]=7

I am expecting traps and tricks. While we focus on the Comanche riders, others disguised and crawling on bellies like snakes inching their way ever closer.

What does he observe?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by jemmus »

After observing both groups of Comanches for a while, Ezekiel notices that the members change. The numbers stay the same, but the individual riders are different.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Bluetongue »

After observing both groups of Comanches for a while, Ezekiel notices that the members change. The numbers stay the same, but the individual riders are different.
'Sarge' Ezekiel

How does he interpret that? Feinting attacks in shifts, not everyone has a horse? Actually having double the numbers?

I am more inclined to think several unseen Comanche are crawling towards us as expressed here.
While we focus on the Comanche riders, others disguised and crawling on bellies like snakes inching their way ever closer.
What does his scouting knowledge tell him of such tactics?

Sarge Ezekiel: (11) Scouting [1d20]=14

From the low prairie grass hill to the SW. I wonder about crawling out there myself, unnoticed. Being a black man at night time, unless I smile they won't see me right.

I know it is a bit late to ask, but do any of these settlers have any dynamite or explosives about?

Ezekiel: Observation (14) [1d20]=10 Luck (7) [1d20]=1

"Cover me! Ssh!"

Rifle loaded and dagger clenched in between teeth to grab and stab quickly, I will crawl out to scout the low grassy hill.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by jemmus »

From his Indian Contact skill and prior experience with Comanches, he knows that every Comanche man and boy has at least one horse. I can't give any other hints, but the fact is, there are different mounted Comanches there at different times.

Scouting skill doesn't really help here.

Ezekiel would need a Stealth success to remain undetected. If the doesn't have the skill, normally he'd need to roll a 1. Shooting at a spotted target at night is at -4 for the shooter.
So we could say that you'd need to roll a 4 or under not to be seen. But it's a little different than shooting at a seen target; they haven't seen Ezekiel. So I'll say you need to roll under 6. The modifier might be higher on a different night. But tonight is a full full Moon, not the day before or the day after. It's the Comanches #1 favorite time for action.

If Ezekiel succeeds, the 25 Comanches have to make an Observation roll at 1/3 the attribute to spot him. Per the rulebook, sample Indian NPCs have Observation 10. These Comanches are outside of their usual territory, so we'll generally go with that. Some individuals may be higher or lower. Many probably have the Scouting skill, but we'll stick with the rules and only consider Observation.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Charlie covers him as he crawls out (assuming he does).

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

I mean we can just wait out our defence until the Comanche attack or try something different.

What does he have to lose, apart from his scalp?

Sarge Ezekiel: Stealth check [1d20]=4 Luck (7) [1d20]=14

On his belly, lower than a snake's arse, the former cavalryman wriggles from under a wagon bed, through a furrow of undergrowth and towards the grassy hill that borders the prairie dog territory.

'Sarge' Ezekiel: Observation (14) [1d20]=6

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Just from background, whether it has any relevance here, but it might be worth checking: ...
Charlie has heard that a Comanche shaman has seen in a vision how to make it so that bullets cannot hit a person. His name is Isa-ta-i ("Rear end of a wolf"), and he's a member of the big Quahadi Comanche band to the northwest. Young unmarried Quahadi men-- and some older married ones as well-- have gathered around him. When that happens with Comanche, they're bound to ride out looking to fight and right old wrongs. And they have plenty of wrongs to right, against the Texans, the U.S. Army, the railroad Americans from the East, the Osages, the Arapahos, and the Apaches, and most of all, the wicked Pawnees.
Are we in Quahadi territory? Would this be a band of Wolf Bottom's warriors?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by jemmus »

Bluetongue wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:24 pm 'Sarge' Ezekiel

Charlie has heard that a Comanche shaman has seen in a vision how to make it so that bullets cannot hit a person. His name is Isa-ta-i ("Rear end of a wolf"), and he's a member of the big Quahadi Comanche band to the northwest. Young unmarried Quahadi men-- and some older married ones as well-- have gathered around him. When that happens with Comanche, they're bound to ride out looking to fight and right old wrongs. And they have plenty of wrongs to right, against the Texans, the U.S. Army, the railroad Americans from the East, the Osages, the Arapahos, and the Apaches, and most of all, the wicked Pawnees.[/spoiler]

Are we in Quahadi territory? Would this be a band of Wolf Bottom's warriors?
Traditionally this would be probably be the time for calling for an Indian Contact roll, but the Comanches are local, everybody know quite a bit about them. And Ezekiel and Charlie have Indian Contact and Scouting skills, so they know more about the Comanche tribe and its band the most. Isa-Ta-I and the Quahadis are to the northwest, on the High Plains (flat, elevated dry grasslands). The nearest band are the Paneteka Comanches. Not at all any less fierce than the Quahadis, maybe more so. They're closer to the Anglo intruding Anglo settlers and they follow a war road all the way into Mexico. And they're in contact with their generational enemies the Apache, who they want to exterminate.

But the scouts know that news between the mounted bands of the Comanche spreads very quickly. If Isa-Ta-I and the Quadhadi band are performing feats of bravery and prowess at war, the young men of the other bands may be whipped up into doing the same. For all the scouts know, their may be the equivalent of an Isa-Ta-I in the Paneteka band. If not, there always the Comanche men who talk around the fire and the boys who listen in or talk around their own. Until some brash man proposes a campaign to exterminate the Apaches, one and all, a raid into the rich rancheros land of Mexico, or a ride against the encroaching Anglo farms and settlements. Usually the successful organizer is a man of many deeds, recognized and acclaimed by an eagle worn in a headdress for each one. Such as the one worn by the man pursuing Charlie over the southwest hill from the prairie dog town beyond it. But not always.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by jemmus »

Ezekiel crouches under a wagon and begins to crawl up the slope of the hill that Charlie and the Comanche galloped over. He stops and looks at the Comanches to the north. Six faces look directly in his direction. To the south, four others do the same. The Comanches don't ride for him, probably because he still with the range of even the shotguns inside the ring of wagons. But he sees lone riders from both groups lope off toward the west.

Observation rolls
[1d20]=8[1d20]=11[1d20]=2[1d20]=15[1d20]=20
[1d20]=20[1d20]=13[1d20]=10[1d20]=5[1d20]=1
[1d20]=7[1d20]=19[1d20]=16[1d20]=19[1d20]=8
[1d20]=12[1d20]=3[1d20]=19[1d20]=3[1d20]=13
[1d20]=17[1d20]=15[1d20]=15[1d20]=20[1d20]=1
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Crawls out to the grassy hill finding he is exposed to Comanches observing him from 300 and 400+ yards away but thankful no Comanches nearby.

Observing the lone riders, he can only conclude that the Chief and camp are to the west and by the creek. He returns to camp.

"So what next?"

We can wait out an impending assault coming from over the steep hill. default action

Charlie & I can can ride out to the Chief and challenge him to go man-to-man in single combat.

Sykes & Campbell can round up a ransom of horses, oxen and supplies from each wagon to hand over as a ransom for no conflict.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Do we know the Comanche accept single combats?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by jemmus »

Charlie wonders about Ezekiel's idea of challenging the Comanche raiding party's chief to single combat. Neither scout has ever heard of it being done. In fact, they've never heard of Americans parlaying with Comanches at all, not when they're on a war footing. And definitely not when they're staring each other down with weapons out. They've heard that some town around this area made a peace treaty with them maybe 20 or 25 years ago. Other towns considered the town traitors and were suspicious of them after that.

As the minutes and hours wear on, the scouts can make out only a few modern rifles among the Comanches. Some have repeating rifles, and more have single-shot Sharps rifles and carbines, probably captured from the Army. A Sharps is slow, but it's accurate at longer ranges than a lever-action. A few of the Comanches have old muzzle-loading rifles, which are both very slow and accurate only at shorter ranges. But the majority of them carry lances, or bows, or both. But there may be some pistols, not visible on their bodies at this range.

Sykes replies to Ezekiel, I don't know about challengin their chief to a duel. I've never heard of it bein done. It would take a man with a lot of guts ta do it. Those boys are savages, raised in the wild, killin buffalo bulls with spear. I imagine they're as tough as a wolf, and meaner still. Y'all scouts have probably seen what they do to a captured or killed man.

Older man Campbell ponders a minute. Offerin to trade livestock for no conflict might be a good idea. A lot of these men will balk and raise a hullabaloo at the suggestion. I understand, that livestock is about all they got for their families' future livelihood. And they most of em sold off everthing they had to buy em. They got nothin to go back to-- farm, house, job-- nothin. But if we convinced that it was that or their wives' and kids' lives, they might do it. What do y'all think? Think the Comanches would honor that kind of deal?

If your PC wants to express an opinion on that, please roll an Indian Contact roll and post in your private threads.
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

"Well the Comanches will be equally weighing up the cost of attacking the circled wagons. In a wagon train, it is much easier to pick off stragglers, hit and run before defences can be bulwarked. As we are, prepared and well defended, they know we will sell our lives man for man, even more probably. Can they cope with twenty to thirty dead? The same injured? And then face retribution from the Cavalry once they surely find out.

It really depends upon their own motivations. If they are on the warpath, then conflict with settlers and Army might be what they want. Visions and seances from Shamans leading them astray. But they might just be angry that we trek through sacred land and want us off, no more than that?"

Not having any dialogue or relationship with this tribe, it is hard to gauge. Would they accept a peace offering and let us ransom ourselves out of a fight. Or would it show weakness and cause them to play on that fear, demanding more (women, horses, guns?).

My first instinct is not to trust them. The gambit is worth a try but needs to come from the wagon train leaders supporting it as much as anything.

I will speak the above thoughts and posted a roll in my thread.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Rex »

Charlie

"I don't think we can negotiate with them. My instincts tell me they are trying to build up the courage to attack."

See private thread.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

"I think so too. Let's keep negotiations at the point of a rifle barrel."

He preps for any assault, taking a place on the east side of the wagon circle, closest to the steeper hill he expects the Comanches to charge down.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by jemmus »

Campbell says, The town a Fredericksburg is around 24, 25 miles from here on the road north. Thirty or so years ago the German settlers made a peace treaty with the Comanches. It wasn't popular then and it isn't popular now, because it involves tradin civilized goods the the Comanches in exchange for buffalo, turkeys and other food from the prairie. But last I heard, both sides have always honored it.

Now, mind you, I'm not asking either a y'all to do this. And I'd do it myself, but I'm responsible for leadin this train ta its destination, start ta end. Sykes is too. But if someone on a good horse were to gallop out a here with a fair head start on them braves, and he rode well, he might make it to Fredericksburg. Where he'd be safe from attack. He could rest his horse, then continue on Fort Mason, which is another 20 miles or so along the same road. And bring bring the Army back with him. Er just continue on his way. Either way, it would considerably improve the odds of these people survivin.

But again, I'm not askin either a y'all ta do it. It would be a desperate gamble.
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Probably 'tuts' since he advised sending a fast rider to get help several hours ago ...

He will stay as riding away might be considered desertion in his mind.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rex »

Charlie

"I am a poor choice to go. I am a poor rider and if I do get there I am half Comanche. Trust me, I am unlikely to be believed in this mater. Better to send a good rider of your own. I will stay here and help to keep you alive until the army gets here."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by jemmus »

Two boys nearby listen to the discussion about riding for help. The older one, who looks to be around 17 years old, clears his throat and steps forward. I'm a fair rider, I'll ride. My horse is a little old, but he's strong and that ain't much that can scare him. I got .40-50 bore Sharps rifle and a box a cartridges. If I could borrow a pistol I'd appreciate it.

Sykes says, What's yer name, young man? The boy replies, James Bledsoe, sir. Sykes says, Mr. Bledsoe, we appreciate the offer, and we won't forget yer bravery. But we need that Sharps here, aimed at them Comanches. And besides, my horse like to run, and he wouldn't forgive me if I didn't give him a chance to test his speed against them Comanche ponies. He turns to Campbell, Charlie and Ezekiel. I'll bolt out the east side at a gallop. That'll give me a head start on both the north and the south groups. If I don't run into a nest a lurking Comanches there, my horse ought to be able to hold that lead for three or four miles due east, then I'll start curving northwest toward Fredericksburg and Fort Mason beyond it. Maybe somebody in Fredericksburg will lend me a fresh horse for gettin to the fort. If it wouldn't violate their treaty with the durned Comanches. I reckon the fort is around 50 miles away. Ridin in the hills and restin my horse, it may take me around 12 or 13 hours to reach it. He takes his brass watch out of his pocket and looks at it. Around 1:00 or 2:00 tomorra afternoon. Then, I don't know how long coming back with the Army will take. I guess they'll take this highway. If they bring only mounted men and leave their wagons behind, a couple a days to travel 50 miles.

He looks the men in the eye with a solemn but resolute look. Then says to Campbell, Seth, there's a steel box in my tent. Here's the key to it. Inside is a envelope with a address. If I'm not back in a week, can I ask ya to put the contents of the box inta the envelope and mail it? And could I ask you ta buy a stamp with the contents first? Campbell says, Sure, Randy. But ya can do that yerself when yer back. We might just meet ya and them bluecoats on the road and save ya some ridin. He looks Sykes in the eye and shakes his hand. From the look on Sykes's face, it might be the first time he's old friend and fellow rider's hand since the first day they met. And maybe one of the half dozen or so times he's addressed him by name. He mounts his horse, which is indeed strong and healthy-looking one, and looks over at the wagon that the little terrier Mr. Grant jumped out of, twice today. He considers something for a while, but instead turns his horse's head to the east. He pats the gelding's neck and murmurs, Galahad, we're gonna ride tonight and tomorra. And you'll what them Comanche paints and mustangs got in em. The horse's eyes widen and he snorts and tosses his head. Then touches his hat brim and nods to Ezekiel, Charlie and Campbell and says, Gentlemen, straight shootin and all luck to ya, if it comes to it. The folks couldn't hope fer better. See ya in a couple a days. He touches spurs to flanks and the horse springs forward, leaping a barricade of luggage at the circle's perimeter, into the full Moon light lighting the grass and bushes of the big hill to the east.

To the north and south on the road, the Comanche riders of each group pause and confer for just a moment, and then call out whoops of war and excitemen and urge their horses into gallops in pursuit. Three or four from each group riding fast to cut off the rider at a point of intersecting paths. The other eight or nine fanning out alone or in pairs or threes, apparently according to the exhortation of an individual rider to his friends, or according to the rider's own personal disposition or tactical decision.

The dog pack moves around the circle from the south to the east, barking the alert at intervals, ears perked. The whole camp quietly listens. After what might be a quarter hour, there's the far off sound from over the hill to the east of a 10 or rifle reports in succession, one one from a long old War-era powder-loading large bore rifle. The dogs stand square alert on their four legs, ears straight up, watching the hill and listening. Ezekiel, Charlie, and Campbell as well.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Rex »

Charlie

If possible Charlie would have sent Pict with him on a lead. So he can alternate horses to push them faster.

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”