Game Methods and Policies

scarik
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

Game Methods and Policies

#1 Post by scarik »

This is mainly an 'all on the same page' post. I'll use it to specify how I intend to DM, so that there are no surprises.

Posting Frequency: I will advance the game on Sundays.

I'm not in a hurry but I also don't want to get hung up for too long waiting on everyone. I also don't want to be playing anyone's character for them, that's why you are all here I assume. When a scene is mostly about RP then it can go slower because we need everyone's input. For things where there are minimal RP decisions to make (such as combat) then I will push more forcefully just so we don't take a month to resolve a ten minute battle.

So for that please post below with your preferred standard procedures. Your henchmen will prioritize your PC's safety in the absence of direct orders not to.

In combat the main things I want to know are how you prefer to engage. Do you use your bow and move away from any melees or do you stay near the others and shoot until forced to melee? Do you prefer to charge? Hide? Let me know.

For example here's what Gurav Graka and his kinsmen do:
Hodlar takes point in exploration. He can find and disable traps. Gurav goes next, then Borav. Korev takes the rear.
In combat Hodlar focuses on missile attacks but stays nearby.
Gurav, Borav and Kurev form a line.
If there are enemy missiles they advance with Kurev sheltering behind the shields of the others. When close enough they charge.
Against melee infantry the shields hold the front and all three use hurled weapons against a charge or advance, then melee.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Game Methods and Policies

#2 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby is a second-line fighter if possible. He uses his sling and Inspires Allies once a day. After combat he preferentially Cure Wounds himself, his henchman Dramm, Sengrim, then Ji-ho (who has the dwarf cleric to tend him), then the dwarf chieftain.

Dramm is a first-line fighter who trusts Barnaby to Cure him if needed. He won't volunteer to take hits, though.

Sengrim is a sniper. He hides (to the extent possible) and shoots. He runs from melee if possible.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

Ji-ho, inspired by tales of The Great Ancestor (TGA), leads from the front and does his best to put everyone where they can perform best. He will be first in and last out, but willing to leave if retreat is the right choice.

Si-woo is observing how Ji-ho leads, since he may soon have his own troops to lead. Si-woo will use missle fire if there are plenty of targets, he will lead the shield wall when there is one, and in general melee he will stay close to Ji-ho and protect his cousin.

Rolton is conflicted. As a knight aspirant, single combat is the way to recognition. However, Si-woo has indirectly suggested that an advancing Rolton might want to consider that a captain needs good lieutenants. Good lieutenants lead troops more than they seek personal glory. For the nonce, Rolton will serve as his lord directs since it provides career growth.

Gilmer and Morphin will form a shield wall if given the chance, and they protect Hemia and Drotik so the latter can use his heavy crossbow. In general melee they will attack the weakest enemies. They are warriors, but they aren't stupid.

Drotik will use his crossbow from outside melee range if at all possible. If the melee gets to him, then things are bad indeed. He will sword fight vs flee.

Hemia is supposed to stick behind Gilmer and Morphin; her role is to help the injured retire without being attacked. Due to her high morale and inexperience with squad level combat, she is getting in way over her head and attacking anything that might threaten her captain.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by scarik »

On Reaction Rolls

I don't expect you all to read my mind about how I will rule on things. If I plan to drop something awful on you then it will be foreshadowed properly or the result of surprise.

In any case a Reaction Roll serves two purposes:
1) It let's me set a baseline for an interaction when I don't already know what that should be. The Ogres were always going to be hostile for instance. They had the on paper advantage and they eat people.
2) It gives the players information. The results aren't hidden, they are things the characters perceive, so you if the group you are dealing with is inclined to be Hostile, Unfriendly, Neutral, Friendly or Helpful. A fair portion of the time (6-8 on 2d6) they will be Neutral (indifferent, etc) and thus only how you decide to act will matter.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”