Gerolt Seeks Wisdom

Rex
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Gerolt Seeks Wisdom

#1 Post by Leitz »

Being an IC thread where Gerolt goes to ask for advice, and the lady Eldura accompanies him.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Gerolt Seeks Wisdom

#2 Post by Leitz »

Sir Gerolt of Selot

Morning dew still lay on the fields outside of Burzyn, and merchants were already opening their shops for the day's business.

Gerolt "tsk'd" his warhorse quietly, and the journey was begun. It would be an easy ride, he should be at his uncle's home before nightfall. The roads were clear and his mood was good.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sastaz »

Eldura joins in some time after Sir Gerolt arrives at the stables, chewing on a last piece of rye bread.

"We're lucky, quite a nice day for travelling. Hopefully it'll be uneventful. The safety on these roads are guaranteed by the lordship, I assume"

A bit into the ride she breaks the silence.

"Tell me a bit about your uncle. Are you close? Is he landed?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Sir Gerolt of Selot

"Safety is a hope, I suppose," Gerolt said. He was relaxed and happy. "I assume we'll be okay, since these are the more travelled paths and most highwaymen don't want to tangle with someone in armor. If we are attacked, please flee back to Burzyn as fast as possible. I will dissuade them from following you."

He kept watch as they rode. "My mother's clan are physicians, and I was apprenticed to my uncle for a while. He is the clan head; much wiser than I and more experienced in difficult situations. There are healing herbs that might be found more easily if we re-settled Darcen, and my uncle should be aware of that. Plus, Mother hasn't seen me in some time, and I've been thinking of a different life. She is my source of information on dealing with women."

Gerolt glanced at Eldura, and grinned. "Speaking of Mother, you may be interrogated. She will either ask you if I've been seeing anyone recently, or she will see that you're wearing my robe and riding my horse, and make assumptions. I love my family, but often the conversation wanders to grand-children."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sastaz »

Eldura smiles.

"I won't flee. At most I'll hide behind a tree, and then when they overwhelm you I'll pop forward and stick'em in the gut one by one!" she laughs, making poking gestures while "dodging" invisible blows.

"Sounds nice. You should be glad that you have a mother that cares about you. And women aren't that hard to deal with you know, as long as you are open and honest. And kind. Well, come to think about it, mothers might be hard to deal with, ha ha. But I accept the challenge!"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Sir Gerolt of Selot

Gerolt looked at Eldura as they rode. His gaze was of appraisal; but not like a man who views a woman as an object. He had already said that he found her attractive, and he respected her. He smiled to himself, and spoke gently. "Perhaps I was not clear, I know our cultures are different. Even within the kingdom itself, families have different customs and expectations. I hope that you have seen me be open and honest with you, and I do my best, in a clumsy way, to be kind."

"What I am trying to convey is that my family in general, and my mother most assuredly, will assume that you are my woman. She will be happy, most of my cousins settled down with less interesting mates. She has her own history, and isn't one to sit and sew in a tower all day." Gerolt met Eldura's gaze. "How do you feel about that?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

You arrive with no issues at your Mom's place. She comes out to greet you.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sastaz »

Can I get a short description of Gerolt's mother, if there is one? Maybe some excerpt from Gerolt's history section of his character sheet? It will make my next post more accurate.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

Give me a day or so, and I'll put something up for you.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by sastaz »

No problem, thanks :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

Gerolt led Eldura to a well built two story house on the outskirts of Aereben. While not huge or gaudy, the home showed the long term results of care and wealth. Its broad wooden beams were stained dark with age and the outer walls were freshly white washed. The sign of a master physician was easy to see.

"My uncle's house," Gerolt said as he tied the horses to the post on the side of the house, and patted them gently. His body language was relaxed yet eager. "Like many, shop below, living quarters above. Mother works in the front of the shop, and helps with surgery as needed."

He walked around to the front, up the three steps, and opened the door for Eldura. An overly stocked apothecary greeted them; shelves of unlabelled containers, crowded tables with this and that, and dried longleaf herbs hanging from the crossbeams. One corner section had a selection of physician tools; scissors, various threads, and small sharp knives.

A thin woman nervously bowed her head as they entered, and Gerolt stood behind Eldura for a moment. Plain of form, with mouse brown hair tinged with gray, she continued to pull full herb plants from a coarse spun sack and cut off the dirt covered roots.

Grinning, Gerolt called out, "Is this bartleroot fresh?"

It was a moment of transformation; the woman stood quickly as her face began to glow. She somehow managed to flit between tables of herbs and Eldura, without making any contact with either. Her sprint ended in a well returned warm embrace with Gerolt. They held each other for a very long moment, and then the woman kissed Gerolt on the cheek. "We're being rude, your lady needs a hug too!"

Released from the embrace, the woman turned to Eldura. Her eyes seemed to catch everything as she smiled, and then said. "Tsk! Those look much better on you, I'm surprised he kept them. We do have to take it up a little here and there, no sense hiding such beauty!"

And with that, the warm hug (and occasional maternal sniffle) began.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sastaz »

Eldura smiles warmly at Gerolt's mother and says "Thank you for your kind welcome, ma'am. Sir Gerolt and I have a strong bond of friendship and mutual respect." She glances at Gerolt, looking for some kind of acknowledgement.

She then goes on, and says "Your home is truly splendid ma'am. The craftsmanship is remarkable and the warmth within these walls are surely as welcoming as your kind hospitality."

At the remark regarding her clothes, she smiles and says "Sir Gerolt kindly offered me his spare clothes as my own garments were soiled during our journey. I am truly grateful for his assistance. Now, can I help you with something? Some chores perhaps?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

Adelia, mother of Gerolt

Adelia gave Eldura a strong "pshaw" when chores were mentioned. Instead, she brought out the morning's bread, a good sized container of freshly churned butter, and a jar of local honey. The ladies went off to talk while Gerolt said he was going to look for his uncle.

During the conversation, Eldura probably figures out that Adelia is a very nice person, but not strong of will. This is her older brother's home and shop, he is the head of Chysbia's largest physician's clan. She keeps a small room in the attic. Adelia will tell stories of Gerolt as a boy; and some might be embarassing if he was around. Gerolt did study under his uncle, but the path of the sword called his eager young heart.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sastaz »

Eldura

"So, Adelia, I believe Gerolt told you about an excursion we were invited to join? We kind of wanted to hear your opinion on what would be the proper course of action for us. You see, there's a delicate family situation that we think is coming to an end, and we find ourselves in the midst of it."

She looks at Gerolt as to how much of their suspicions she's allowed to share with his mother.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

sastaz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:09 pm She looks at Gerolt as to how much of their suspicions she's allowed to share with his mother.
Gerolt is off in search of his uncle, but Eldura knows he is going to share everything about the situation with the older man. Gerolt's tone of voice conveys that his uncle is a respected mentor and voice of wisdom.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Gerolt will remain behind and Eldura will return To Burzyn in time for the upcoming hunt. Let me know if Eldura (Turnip) want to get anything done before the hunt.

Return to “Rex's HarnWorld Campaign (HarnMaster Sandbox)”