Expedition to Kraka Grak, Spring 668

scarik
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Expedition to Kraka Grak, Spring 668

#41 Post by tibbius »

Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

As they moved forward, Ji-ho silently tapped Drotik first, and held up one finger. He pointed to Si-woo, and added a finger, and then to himself last. That was their order, and it would let him take the brunt of any reaction. He made sure his sword was ready, just in case.

If possible, they will go for the leader. 2 Hits (Drotik and Ji-ho), 2 Subdue (Si-woo and Ji-ho)

Drotik Missile Attack [1d6]=5, Missile Damage [1d6]=3
Si-woo Missile Attack [1d6]=5, Missile Damage [1d6]=4
Ji-Ho Missile Attacks [_2d6]=(5+6)=11, Missile Damage [_2d6]=(5+2)=7

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by scarik »

Ogre Lair Attack, Round 1

Ji-ho easy slips down the corridor with his men and launches a point plank volley into the first ogre they see. They then dart back to take up their positions outside and while the expected reaction occurs it is delayed long enough that Drotik has time to reload his arbalest.

The leader essentially just shoves his troops into the corridor and pushes them up, single file, into the waiting ambush. It goes poorly as the moment the lead Ogre emerges every missile available hits him and drops him to the ground.

But it does go and the next Ogre in line crashes into the line of spears.

The leader is at the back as you can likely guess so all shots hit Ogre 7.

Ogre 8 emerges next for the melee phase. He's running out but not actually charging so he gets no bonus to hit. Your spears get +1.

Only spears attack this round. Well-armed ones hit on 3. Decently hit on 4.
The Ogre still gets his 4HD to attack so decide how you want to risk them. He hits Well on 6 and Decent on 5.

Ogre Leader clobbers minions [_7d6]=(2+2+4+2+4+1+5)=20 This is enough to knock both of them out of the fight.
Ogre Leader pushes them forward [2d6]=11. Command and control is poor.

Drotik, Hodlar and Kurev loose into the first ogre to emerge. Sengrim and Barnaby do as well.
Ogre Leader pushes them forward [2d6]=11 3hp, 2sub

Wrap up
Ogres 1-4 are dead or dying.
Ogre 5: 2hp, 2 sub Ogre 6: 4hp, 4 sub down in cave
Ogre 7: 0hp, 2 sub. Wounded. Ogre 7 Wound [2d6]=6

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Spear line is Rolton, Morphin, and Gilbert, all need a 4+ to hit (is that counting the +1 for the first round?). Dramm can join if Tibbius directs. Ji-ho will join in the melee (to take a hit die) but get no attack this round. Si-woo will move to the side and shoot ogres as they emerge. If Ji-ho falls, or the spear line is broken, Si-woo will shift to melee. Hemia will cudgel downed or fleeing ogres.

First Round
Spear line on Ogre 8, in order above (if the 4+ does NOT count the +1 for the first round, then 1 hit (Rolton). Otherwise, none.)
Rolton Melee Attack [_1d6]=(3)=3
Henchman Melee Attack [_1d6]=(2)=2

Si-woo shoot any ogres coming out (not sure what he needs for the passageway)
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=2, Missile Damage [1d6]=5

Drotik shoot ogre coming out (1 Sub)
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=6, Missile Damage [1d6]=1

Second Round

Spear line on Ogre 8 (1 hit, unless they still get the +1, then 2 hits)
Henchman Melee Attack [_1d6]=(3)=3
Henchman Melee Attack [_1d6]=(1)=1
Henchman Melee Attack [_1d6]=(6)=6

Si-woo shoot any ogres coming out
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=3, Missile Damage [1d6]=2

Drotik reload.

JJh melee (2 hits if well armed hits on 3)
Ji-ho Melee attacks [_2d6]=(3+3)=6

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:57 pm Ji-ho will join in the melee (to take a hit die) but get no attack this round. Si-woo will move to the side and shoot ogres as they emerge. If Ji-ho falls, or the spear line is broken, Si-woo will shift to melee. Hemia will cudgel downed or fleeing ogres.
I'm, sorry if I wasn't clear. Drotik having enough time to reload means the Jings have more than enough time to rejoin the spear wall and form the center. They get their attacks on Ogre 8.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

To keep things simple, JJh will use Si-woo's spear, and Sw will keep his shots. So, with the first round +1, JJh gets one hit on ogre 8.
Ji-ho Melee attacks [_2d6]=(2+1)=3

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by scarik »

The Ogres continue to push out from the cave.

The next one in line finds a thicket of spears and balks at pushing through but the tide carries on and the next one pushes into the spear line and keeps his nerve long enough to remember he is 800lbs and has hide as thick as maille. He breaks though and the battle devolves into a general melee.

Ogre 8 Round 1 [_4d6]=(1+5+6+5)=17
Ogre 8 Round Morale [_2d6]=(2+3)=5
Ogre 9 Round 2 [_4d6]=(3+2+2+4)=11
Ogre 9 Round 2 Morale [_2d6]=(5+1)=6

For Round 3.
Ogre 7: down and out
Ogre 8: 4hp 1 sub flees.
Ogre 9: 3hp
Ogre 10: 5hp
Ogre 11: 5hp
Ogre Lead: 7hp

Each round the Ogres will push out more and add another to the fighting. There are 12 in total with the Leader being Ogre 12.

One is fleeing. You can let the back line have at it as it flees or you can try and box it in.
In either case the dwarves pounce on the next one.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

If I understand this correctly, in Round 3 ogre #9 comes into the spear line and things go into general melee.
- The dwarves take the next one (#10).
- Si-woo continues to shoot the emerging ogres before they are in melee.
- Drotik does the same, but he only shoots on odd numbered rounds.

Round 3:
Si-woo shoot #10, 1 Sub
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=4, Missile Damage [1d6]=4
Drotik shoot #10, 1 Hit
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=6, Missile Damage [1d6]=4

Dwarves then get #10

Jing Ji-ho and the others fight #9
Ji-ho: 2 hits
Ji-ho Melee attacks [_2d6]=(5+5)=10
Rolton: miss
Gilmer: miss
Morphin: miss

Hemia smacks the fleeing one: 1 hit, not counting the +2 for fleeing!
Round 4:
Si-woo shoot #11: 1 Sub
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=5, Missile Damage [1d6]=4

Drotik reloads

Jing Ji-ho and the others
- #9 had 3 HP coming out the door, and took 2 hits.
- - If he does not flee, Ji-ho will let Rolton, Gilmer, Morphin, and Hemia have him.
- - If he does flee, RGM&H will follow Ji-ho. This is called battle lust!
- Ji-ho will head to #10 if the dwarves need help, or #11 otherwise.

Ji-ho: 1 Hit
Ji-ho Melee attacks [_2d6]=(6+3)=9
Rolton: miss
Gilmer: 1 Hit
Morphin: Miss
Hemia: 1 Hit
Round 5:
Si-woo shoots #12: 1 Sub
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=2, Missile Damage [1d6]=2
Drotik shoots #12: 1 Hit
Henchmen Missile Attack [1d6]=3, Missile Damage [1d6]=6

Jing Ji-ho and the others
- It's a general melee, so Ji-ho will continue to press forward, and the others will follow.
- - Later on he'll explain the old saying, "Don't bite off more than you can chew." :P

Ji-ho: Miss
Ji-ho Melee attacks [_2d6]=(3+3)=6
Rolton: Miss
Gilmer: Miss
Morphin: 1 Hit
Hemia: 1 Hit

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by tibbius »

Round 3:
(for shooting, Sengrim shouldn't have the -1)
Round 4:
Round 5:
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by scarik »

The Ogres pile out with the biggest one yet literally pushing them from behind.

By the time the lead monster clears the cave the field is red with blood and the creature bellows. In one hand he hefts a massive, smith's sledge and in the other he holds an oval shield that bears a startling resemblance to the ones carried by Gurav and Borav.

A little catch- up: Ogre 8 in Round 2 actually hit both Rolton and Gilmer 1 or Morphin 2 [1d2]=1. Gilmer.
Gilmer Wound Save [_2d6]=(1+1)=2. Alas, I knew him, Horatio.
Rolton Wound Save [_2d6]=(2+1)=3 Incapacitated but alive.
Ogre 9 comes in swinging but does nothing with it.
Dwarves attack.
Gurav vs Ogres [_2d6]=(2+1)=3 None
Borav vs Ogres [_1d6]=(1)=1 None
Korev vs Ogres [_2d6]=(2+5)=7 1 hit

Ogre 8: 3hp 1 sub flees.
Ogre 9: 1hp Ogre 8 Morale [_2d6]=(1+3)=4 This was a typo due to autofill. This is for Ogre 9 and he panics.
Ogre 10: 3hp, 1 sub Ogre 10 Morale [_2d6]=(2+5)=7 He holds.
Ogre 11: 5hp
Ogre Leader: 7hp

Wrap up
Rolton is badly injured.
Gilmer is dead
Morphin holds Morphin Morale [2d6]=7
Hemia nearly panics. Hemia Morale [2d6]=3 She falls back to the second line to regroup. She cannot attack the fleeing Ogres.

Ogre 11 emerges round 4. Rolton and Hodlar reload. Si-woo hits him for 1hp. The humans move to fight Ogre 11. Jiho and Dram hit him for 2hp total.
The dwarves
Gurav vs Ogre [_2d6]=(3+6)=9 1hp
Borav vs Ogre [_1d6]=(1)=1 None
Kurev vs Ogre [_2d6]=(5+2)=7 1hp

Ogre 10: None Ogre 10 vs dwarves [_4d6]=(5+3+3+4)=15
Ogre 11: Ouch 2 vs Ji-ho, 1 vs Morphin Ogre 11 vs humans [_4d6]=(6+6+1+5)=18
Morphin is 0hp, knocked down and loses his spear Morphin Wound Save [_2d6]=(4+6)=10
He tries to crawl away and regroup.Morphin Morale [_2d6]=(1+3)=4

Ogre 8: 3hp 1 sub fled
Ogre 9: 1hp fled

Ogre 10: 1hp, 1 sub Ogre 10 Morale [2d6]=4 sub =hp, under 25% Injury [2d6]=9 He fights on
Ogre 11: 3hp Ogre 11 Morale [2d6]=7 25% lost Fights on
Ogre Leader: 7hp

I am pausing here for Ji-Ho to make a wound save.

Barnaby may Inspire Allies again as well.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Wound save at -1 gives a 4: Pair dice roll [_2d6]=(3+2)=5

Wounded and Incapacitated. You are not Stable.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby is a scion of good blood. He does not flee. He does wet his pants, but that happens sometimes in battle. He takes a ragged breath and utters a yodeling shout that outdoes the ogre chieftain's guttural bellow. As before, the noise from his throat continues preternaturally longer than any human breath. Inspire Allies ... already made rolls for round 5
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by scarik »

Round 5

The fighting is brutal. The strength of the Ogre Leader is unlike anything any of the men have ever seen and with his stolen sledge he nearly smashes Korev into the ground like a tent spike, his long axe cast off into the darkness..

Ji-Ho, Rolton and Gilmer lay motionless on the ground.
Morphin struggles to rise amid the agony of his injuries.
Hemia staggers to her feet and raises her cudgel.
Dramm spits blood and for the second time rises from the terrible strength of an Ogre's bludgeon.
Si-Woo's shield sunders and without a moment's pause he yanks his dagger from his belt to replace it.
Thane Gurav is knocked back with a heavy blow and cries out in the Dwarven tongue.
Kurev hears his brother's defiant cry and rises with knife in one hand and a sword in the other.
Sengrim is lost in the darkness.
Drotik draws his sword and steps forward

Throughout the violence Barnaby's piercing cry gives them vigor beyond reason and somehow man and dwarf manage to hold in the face of the trio of towering beasts intent on crushing their bones for bread.

And then the runes on Borav's shield glows blue in the night and with a deafening shout he calls out "In the Name of the Maker, I command you, monster. DEPART! For a moment there is confusion and then, the less harmed of the two Ogre thugs quails and turns to flee!

And with that, the false courage of the Ogre boss fails. He sees the fallen bodies of his thralls and the terrible resolve of his enemies and breaks. Without the threat of him to hold the last remaining Ogre in place that one too turns to run for its wicked life.

Dramm hits Ogre 1
Si-woo joins melee and misses
Hemia and Morphin need to rally
Hemia Morale [2d6]=10. Yes.
Morphin Morale [2d6]=4No.

Ranged vs leader
Drotik misses (due to shenangins)
Sengrim misses

Korev takes on the leader: Korev Melee [_2d6]=(2+4)=6 1 hit
Gurav holds Ogre 3 alone: Gurav Melee [_2d6]=(1+1)=2 None

Borav uses magic

Ogre 10 vs Dramm and Si-Woo: Ogre 10 [_4d6]=(6+3+5+6)=20 Hits each once.
Ogre 11 vs Gurav: Ogre 11 vs Gurav [_4d6]=(4+6+3+2)=15 1 hit
Ogre Leader vs Korev: Ogre Leader vs Korev [_7d6]=(5+6+3+5+6+3+6)=34 3 hits

Barnaby Inspires +1 morale only Inspire [_1d6]=(5)=5+[_1d8]=(4)=4

Ogre 10: 0hp, 1 sub Oof Ogre 10 Injury [_2d6]=(6+5)=11 Loses weapon, checks morale Ogre 10 Morale [_2d6]=(5+5)=10 still fighting, but lightly armed (fists)
Ogre 11: 3hp Magicked!
Ogre Leader: 6hp Ogre Leader Morale [2d6]=3 Rout!

Ji-Ho: Incapacitated
Rolton: Incapacitated
Gilmer: Dead
Morphin: Broken
Hemia: Rallied
Dramm: 0hp Wounded Dramm Injury [_2d6]=(4+3)=7 Dramm Morale [2d6]=4 Pass due to Inspire.
Si-woo: 0hp Si-Woo Injury [_2d6]=(6+5)=11 With his +1CON that's a 12! His shield is shattered, he pulls a knife in his off hand and fights on.
Gurav: 0hp Wounded Gurav Injury [2d6]=6 Gurav Morale [2d6]=10 Victory or Death. All the other Dwarves get +1 to Morale.
Korev: -1hp Wounded Korev Injury [2d6]=7 Korev Morale [2d6]=5 +2 base, +1 Inspire, +1 Leader

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Leitz »

Jing Si-woo

"Morphin, we need a fire, and our supplies."
Si-woo spoke quietly, and put one hand on Morphin's shoulder. That's what cousin Ji-ho would do. Cousin's brave hand had rested on Si-woo's shoulder often, over the years. "Can you and Hemia go get our supplies, and then build us a fire when we've explored the watch tower? We have wounded who cannot move, and they need your strength."

Cousin was alive, and Si-woo thanked the ancestors for that. But cousin would bid Si-woo to organize the camp and tend the wounded, so that's what Si-woo would do. He tightened his hand around his sword, and looked at those standing. "Morphin and Hemia will bring our supplies here. We need to make sure there are no more beasts, and build a fire. It would be good to take shelter in the watch tower, for protection. Who will join me in making sure it is safe?"

Si-woo headed to the watch tower, took a deep breath, and went back inside. Drotik shook his head, drew his sword, and followed the lieutenant.
Last edited by Leitz on Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#55 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hodlar "What is out next move eh?" the dwarf that spent time pulling the wounded out of harms' way asks.

hope I'm posting in the right place. :lol:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby breathed slowly, feeling fire in his lungs. The Great Shout was not free to use.

"We tend the wounded," he answered Hodlar. "At daybreak, the Ancient One will grant me power to easily aid at least one. For now, there is a thing that Borav and Hemia and I can do. It is not easy but it may work."

He looked between Ji-ho and Dramm. "Dramm, our captain is gravely wounded," he said after a moment. "You at least can stand. What is your condition?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Leitz »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:02 pm hope I'm posting in the right place. :lol:
yup

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by scarik »

Wounds are bound and inspected by Hemia and Borav while Barnaby assists them. The others who aren't hurt move camp to the site of the watchfort.

Once that is done those who aren't needed for the rituals of healing follow Si-woo into the cave entrance. Phosphorescent fungi have colonized the interiors and provide a modicum of light that barely illuminates a main chamber after they pass the defensive turn. The entire place stinks of refuse and stale air. The secondary entrance the dwarves mentioned should exist is blocked off by fallen ceiling, leaving the entrance they used only way in and out.

The northwest of the chamber is piled with rough bedding, enough for most of the Ogres, and strewn with their refuse. The excavated area seems to go beyond that point but it is choked with rubble where the pathway collapsed and covered in webs as thick as a finger. There is no obvious way through.

The other way reveals a slightly better resting area where the leader must have used. For one it isn't littered with garbage, and also the many objects the ogres had stolen are piled roughly within. Dozens of casks, several chests and scores of sacks spill out their original contents where the Ogre must have enjoyed admiring them. Tools and other goods are piled and scattered about and with a strong enough stomach the contents of the bedding would likely yield more.

But of more immediate import there are several disheveled captives inside a crude cage. There is no chain or lock save a large quantity of rope holding it shut and a bar too large for any of them to budge from within. It is hard work even from the outside to free the six people still alive.

All are dwarves.

Hemia and Borav bind wounds. There is no rush and no complicating factors so they automatically succeed in rendering everyone Stable.

Now we find out how badly everyone is actually hurt.
Catch Breath: Si-woo [_1d6]=(2)=2. No. Still at 0hp.

Wound Severity: Gurav [2d6+2]=6+2=8. Major
Wound Severity: Korev [2d6+2]=9+2=11 Moderate
Wound Severity: Dramm [2d6]=3 Massive
Wound Severity: Rolton [2d6]=5 Massive
Wound Severity: Ji-Ho [2d6]=5 Massive

It will take 17 Turns to complete the ritual to heal everyone. Because there are 3 ritual participants capable of assisting it only takes about an hour. The maximum SD of any of them is 1 so Minor wounds would be healed immediately. All others get +2 (total SD available) to their recovery rolls.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Leitz »

Si-woo

"Sengrim, you are an excellent cook, and these people look mistreated. Can you use our provisions, and what we found here, to create a meal for everyone?" Si-woo said. He looked around, and then added. "I have no idea where a good water supply is, but we need one. Lack of water kills faster than lack of food."

He looked around once more, and the quietly added. "I will bury Gilmer."

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by scarik »

Reposting the treasure here for visibility. Be sure to look it over so you can see your options.

Coins: 5503p (210lbs total, 120lbs copper, 80lbs bronze, 10lbs silver, scattered gold)

Gems: 317 <1lb a dozen semi-precious worth 99p total, 2 48p, 1 120

Recovered outside from where the leader threw it away is a dwarven warrior's shield of remarkable craftsmanship.

In one of the chests: 5 Potions in led crystal phials.
11 arrows for a short (self, hunting etc) bow. 10 for a longbow. There are all impossibly free of muck or corrosion. Even the fletchings are bright.

Food
2 x Amphora of Vinegar (2p, 80 lb)
2 x Sack of Animal Feed (1f, 50 lb)
4 x Sack of Wheat (2f, 50 lb)
Bottle of Vinegar (1f, 8 lb)
Salted Ham (2p, 4 lb)
2 x Small Cask of Ale (1f, 8 lb)
2 x Small Cask of Dried Figs (3p, 8 lb)
6 x Small Cask of Oil (1f, 5 lb)
Small Cask of Pickled Fish (2p, 5 lb)
Small Cask of Tobacco (2p, 8 lb)
Wedge of Cheese (1 hf, 4 lb)