Checking Out The Caves (initial run)

OGRE MAGE
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Checking Out The Caves (initial run)

#121 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"Agreed, let's focus on the cave. Now we know how the bandits are doing things, we can always make a plan and catch them out later."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by hedgeknight »

Loyn - “You might think you’re insulting me by calling me a pansie, Orc-man! But, everyone knows how much dwarves adore flowers.” He smiles at Dredd.
When Dredd returns to the group, he has five gold pieces in his hand and flings them at Loyn's chest. "I don't take no charity from a HALF-man! And you can shove flowers up your ass for all I care."

Dredd gives Rida a nod and mutters, "Good luck to you," and then joins his assigned group, taking up the rear, turning his back on the others. "Let's move out."
Winter is coming...

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

He will help with the log. As much as a gnome standing with humans can. "To be clear, I don't want to pay them, I just prefer to fight on my terms. Which is usually very advantageous."

Bugs realizes he's more of a hindrance in moving the log, and goes to investigate the hidden bandits in the trees. "Remind me not to play cards with unknown people, the people around here have a strong bluff game."

"Gentlemen, to the caves?" He moves to rejoin the larger non-log moving group.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#124 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I better step in here before the CvC killing starts.

Bandit County
The Next Fork
Mid Morning

Though some hot tempers remain in the group, Loyn feels confidant he made the right decision, deciding not to cry over spilled gold, as it were. Once the log is rolled back away from the center of the trail again, the party of 14 continues on their way, glad they don't find another bandit ruse along the forest trail.

Once out in open land again, the tension eases, allowing the nature lovers in the group a pleasant view of the nearby countryside. Rocky fields and rolling hills stretch out beyond view on both sides of the road, and the wider river eventually bends out of sight, leaving only a little stream known as the Goblinwater behind which eventually runs alongside the roadway part of the way to the Caves.
Wilderness - Copy.jpeg
Wilderness - Copy.jpeg (93.56 KiB) Viewed 2402 times

To your right, a tall hill rises in the distance, its surface also littered with massive boulders and rocky outcroppings. A few members of the group think they spot stoney ruins occasionally popping up from the ground between the rocks in the distance in that area, possibly an avenue for future exploration. (please check your private threads in case one of them is you) :D To your left, beyond the rocky fields and rise in elevation, the thick forest hiding the Cave of the Unknown can easily be seen.

About three hours into your journey, (red X on map) the leaders spot what appears to be a faint cart track up ahead in the grass heading north off the main road and eventually leading into the forest.

Actions?

Thought I would pause the action here in case you wanted to make any plans before splitting up into smaller groups.

Renna Kellamin AC4 9
Magdal Haldeene AC7 16/16
Dredd AC3 16/16
Sylla Lontharra AC5 6/6/9
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Pimlan Greenstride AC6 9/9
Crobeus AC3 10/10

Loyn Shortbeard AC5 12/12
Rida AC2 10/10
Haldric Hammerheart AC3 12/12
Keya Redd AC5 12/12
Gyb the Meager AC10 8/8
Crabgrass AC7 7/7
Bugs Donato AC3 8/8

Marching order on the road:
Magdal (R) + Keya (C/R)
Stobart (C) + Loyn (F)
Sylla (M-U/C) + Haldric (C)
Crobeus (P) + Pimlin (F/T)
Renna (M-U/C) + Crabgrass (M-U/C)
Bugs (T) + Gyb (M)
Dredd (F) + Rida (F)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rex »

Rida

Rida follows along, bring up the rear.

He is ready to split up.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by ateno »

Keya waits at the split so the group can split up as decided earlier.

Keya Redd

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#127 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

After assisting with the moving of the log, Magdal will approach Loyn and thank him for paying her way. She will promise to repay him which she has enough coin to do so. "I always pay my debts sir," she remarks before wishing him a safe journey with his group.

She will keep a look out for tracks as they move towards the cave pausing at one point, she stares into the mountains in the distance, taking a deep breath of fresh air, she remarks to no one in particular, "Such beauty so near chaos." She cannot help but smile, pleased by the beautiful view. She then turns to her group and points towards the rocky mountain tops in the distance, "I can barely make out the outline of a tower up there. I know that is not our destination, but it is something to keep in mind for future expeditions. I wonder if it is inhabited," she says as she returns to the trek towards the cave.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by ravenn4544 »

Haldric echoes Magdans observation. “Indeed an interesting tower to examine. What’s more interesting is how the tower keeps appearing and disappearing. Very interesting”.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#129 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"I have no hard feelings toward any of you for the bandit situation. We all have our reasons for why we do the things we do, so I will leave it at that. It is in the past, so now we look to the future. As we split the party, I want to wish each of you a safe journey and, Pholtus willing, we shall all meet again one day at the One-Eyed Cat for a drink and to swap stories of our adventures.

Until we meet again, safe travels."
The paladin then turns to join his group on their trek to the cave.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#130 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan lets out a breath "Oh good it wasn't just me then. Some of you could see a stone tower in the distance as well. I thought it was my imagination running wild, making me see things. I agree it would be worth scoping out perhaps after we delve into these chaotic caverns." after saying that he stops and smiles amusing himself briefly "Alright, well yes I suppose splitting up into our groups it is. Whomever I am not with I hope to see you on the return journey, and good luck!" he adds as he groups up with the folks he is destined to travel with into the unknown caverns.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#131 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-dwarf fighter

Loyn picks up the thrown coins grumbling.“Disrespecting a dwarf is not without consequence. Your inability to control your anger has gained you a powerful enemy today.”

He hands the coins to Magdal, “You’re welcome, lass. Now keep these so you have a little spending money. I do not want anything from him.” He leans in a little closer. “You should watch yourself around that one, lass. I have lived long enough to know anyone looking for a fight that badly will eventually find one he can’t win.”

Loyn shrugs at Renna. “Do we bother setting up a time to meet back up? Or should both groups plan on meeting back at the keep?”

Scott308

#132 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"I don't know how well we can plan for a time to meetup again since I don't know what our groups may encounter. But, if we would like to try, and I would prefer to journey back together if possible, perhaps...noon three days hence? That will allow the rest of today to travel and decide whether to camp for the night or enter right away, with two full days of exploration to follow, and morning travel to this spot on the third."

After offering his suggestion, the paladin looks at Renna, the defacto leader, to make sure he hasn't stepped on her toes.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rex »

Rida

To Loyn, "Thanks Loyn."

To everyone, "Good Luck."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"Crobeus, I may be the one with biggest mouth, but I only lead at the pleasure of the group. I had with all transparency planned a different way home using the skills of Magdal and topography of the land which if my estimates are correct would have us by passing the bandits. But all good plans can be adapted. If the other group is willing to do this I will concur."

Renna will find a stick about 8 inches in length (breaking it down to get to that length) and using a rock she will drive it into the ground at a base of the tree. "If one group comes first and this stick is still present you will know the second group has not arrived. If it is determined that you are leaving take the stick out of the hole so the other group will not wait."

I would recommend the following marching order in the outdoors with Magdal and Dredd switching places in the caves.
Crobeus AC3 10/10
Renna Kellamin AC4 9
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Dredd AC3 16/16

and watch rotation

1st watch - Renna and Dredd
2nd watch - Pimlan and Magdal
3rd watch - Sylla, Stobart and Crobeus

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

As the groups start to split up, the cleric heads over to the other team.

He nods at Loyn and smiles at the group "May Fharlanghn bless your endeavours. I hope to see you all again soon, and Loyn, I hope you find your father."

I have no issue with the suggested marching order or watch.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Puts away his scrapbook of notes and observations. Filling in pages with 'bandit log', 'rocky tower', 'fork in trail'.

His prosthethic arm is prehensile but slow and encumbering in actions, he lifts a tankard slowly, struggles to grip a fork with it, tying laces or rope knots a real struggle though handling a stout shaft like his staff is no problem. Plus it is no good for picking nose or scratching his back. He has a new back scratcher mind, the arrow he plucked.

He has no particular need to seek out specific caves for any family or personal issues, happy just to gather knowledge, relics, gold for his research.

To his allocated group. "Are we making any special preparations or just heading in and reacting to whatever encounters or challenges occur?"

I speak orc and goblin among others so will teach any basic greetings to folk as needed. "This means Hello, this is Friend, this is a likely 'attack or kill' command."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by hedgeknight »

gurusql wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:38 am Renna I would recommend the following marching order in the outdoors with Magdal and Dredd switching places in the caves.
Crobeus AC3 10/10
Renna Kellamin AC4 9
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Dredd AC3 16/16

and watch rotation

1st watch - Renna and Dredd
2nd watch - Pimlan and Magdal
3rd watch - Sylla, Stobart and Crobeus
Dredd
This looks good G!
The Half-Orc nods to Renna and and looks at the hill yonder to see if he can make out what the others say they are seeing. Growing up in Longspear, Dredd has always loved rolling hills. Just something about them that makes him want to see what's on the other side.
As the groups separate, he nods at Bugs. "Don't get eaten. I'll buy you a beer when next I see you."
Winter is coming...

Scott308

#138 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin
shaidar wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:08 am Stobart
"Loyn, I hope you find your father."
Crobeus looks at Loyn with curiosity after hearing this comment. It appears the dwarf has reason to go to the caves other than just killing for coin. His attitude regarding the bandits begins to make a bit more sense with this nugget of information.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by sastaz »

Sylla stares at the tower for quite some time.

"It keeps appearing and disappearing? Curious. Well, that's for another day. Good fortune on your travels everyone, here's to hoping you all make it back safely. I will see you in a few days to share tales of your exploits."

Sylla goes along with "her" group and waves goodbye to the others.

Marching order and watches look fine!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

Bugs nods at the potential of Renna's plan. His mind can't help but figure out ways for it to go wrong, however. But since most of them require some treachery, he feels pretty confident that it will work.

He smiles up at the large Half-Orc. "Not getting eaten is my specialty. You too, although I'd hate to see the thing large enough to eat you. Ooze. But is that really being eaten? We'll discuss over that beer."

"Tower? What tower? There shouldn't be a tower over there. The old Lord wouldn't have allowed it."

Bugs shakes his head and waves goodbye to the travellers of the unknown. "Ok. Now who's going first, and which cave are we going to?"

Maybe:

Keya
Loyn
Bugs
Crabgrass
Gyb
Haldric
Rida

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”