0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

#1 Post by Eris »

Edited title because I posted the wrong river name. ;) It's the Silver River until the fork, then the Silver goes to the west and the Dragon continues north to Dragon Lake.

OOC: At this point, you don't need a completed character. Right now, you just need a name. You can add heritage and concept and other stuff as you develop them.

The water flowing past the boat hull occasionally kicks up a bit of spray keeping you slightly damp as you stare out from the gunwales. This time of year early morning on the Silver River is pleasantly cool, but with the clear skies above it will surely be a scorcher as the day wears on. Looking around you see that Captain Jack and the boat's five crew are all wearing broad brimmed hats to protect their heads and light trousers and jackets they can discard as the day warms.

You muse to yourself, the trip up the river to Berm should take about 8 hours, according to Captain Jack so pretty much all day. Going upstream on the back of water elementals like this isn't fast travel, maybe a league an hour...about 25 miles from Fallcrest to Berm...that sounds about right based on the map Master Leon showed you yesterday.

Looking back out over the side of the boat you see a wavy figure under the water, another of the water spirits that are flowing around the boat. You don't know how you feel with all those spirits flowing around you.

Captain Jack showed you the "Yellow Cake" before he put it into the cage at the front of the boat. It looked a lot like a spongey flat cake on a wooden board. No mater what it really is the water spirits...he called them elementals...seem to love it and they line up behind the cage and push forward to get at it, and that pushes the boat forward. When he wants more speed he exposes more of the cake. When he wants to stop he pulls it right out of the water. It sounded daft when he was explaining it, but seems to be working...so far.

Looking out to the banks of the river you see sparse trees and brush covered rolling hills to your left, the west, and a lush forest coming right down to the river bank on your right, the east. Well, east and west are approximately correct as the boat is going up the Silver River toward Dragon Lake and that's nearly straight north. Anyway, you know there are untamed tribes of Orcs, Goblins, Trolls, and worse...other humans...out there and that's why you are here now.

You are drawn back from your musings when the riverman perched on a short tower at the front of the boat, they called it the bow, calls back something in a language that doesn't make sense to you. In response Captain Jack standing at the back of the boat holding a wooden lever shouts out "Yo Lee!" and moves the lever causing the ship to veer sharply to the left. The rivermen all shift and take it in stride, you're a bit off balance for a second as the boat veers, but soon regain your footing. You feel a faint shudder through the hull and hear a scraping sound. Looking you see a mostly submerged tangle of roots and branches sliding past the right side of the boat's hull. That's what they call a snag and it can sink a boat if it hits one too hard, and it's why boats don't travel much after dark.

So, the dangers extend into the river itself, huh? You look around at your companions in this venture. Soon enough you'll be confronting some of the other dangers. Today to Berm by boat, then because no boat will take you, a day's walk up the right bank to Old Bridge where the trouble is.

Goblins came down from the hills to the west and occupied the ruins on the west side of the river at Old Bridge and then, worse, took over the ruins of an old fort in the center of the river. Old Bridge, on the east side of the river, can't budge them and the Goblins are in a perfect position to raid traffic on the river. That's why the Merchants in Fallcrest hired you. They expect you to persuade the Goblins to "move on" now, they'll send a troop to occupy the place later, but they'll be guards not Adventurers like you.

One of the rivermen, an old halfling by his looks, walks over and sits on one of the crates that are occupying the bottom of the boat and near where your party is standing.

He fills a pipe and takes a puff before saying, "Ye can call me Took. And so's I don't have to jest call ye Hey You and Yo there, what's the handles ye go by?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

#2 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:21 pm
One of the rivermen, an old halfling by his looks, walks over and sits on one of the crates that are occupying the bottom of the boat and near where your party is standing.

He fills a pipe and takes a puff before saying, "Ye can call me Took. And so's I don't have to jest call ye Hey You and Yo there, what's the handles ye go by?"
Aislin turns and lowers her cloak's hood, revealing her short, spiky hair and sharply pointed ears. She'd left her gear at her bunk space, and she'd been mentally reviewing her daily spells when the riverman spoke. "I am Aislin," she replies with a slight bow. Her voice is lower in tone and carries well for a woman, and her Common speech is only slightly tinged with the musical lilt of her mother tongue.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ateno »

Checking his balance after the shift, he turns and says, "I'm Malbek, until recently a librarian for the monitors in the dwarven kingdom a ways south of here until I was replaced by politics. Taking off his hood and rubbing down his brown/red hair he continues to pay attention to the conversation while watching the symphony of motion of the ship.

Malbek

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Eris »

"Malbek, yer a library man ye say, eh? A dwarf and an Elf traveling together, that's one for the books!" Took laughs around his pipe stem, "Ye'ull find things a might rougher than paper cuts out here in the real, though, laddie."

Turning to Aislin Took continues, "You're Ass-len, then?"

Took takes his pipe from his mouth and taps it against his palm grinning, "No offence, but how's you pronounce that again, eh?"

"And where's yer big ol elven bow that all ye elves all haul around, eh?"
Took looks serious for the first time, "Ye might ha'va need of it. They is reports of Orc raid'en parties coming down to the western bank o' the river. They da'na like de water, but ye n'er know with dem Pigs if they might a go wading in the water just the same."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:37 pm "Malbek, yer a library man ye say, eh? A dwarf and an Elf traveling together, that's one for the books!" Took laughs around his pipe stem, "Ye'ull find things a might rougher than paper cuts out here in the real, though, laddie."

Turning to Aislin Took continues, "You're Ass-len, then?"

Took takes his pipe from his mouth and taps it against his palm grinning, "No offence, but how's you pronounce that again, eh?"

"And where's yer big ol elven bow that all ye elves all haul around, eh?"
Took looks serious for the first time, "Ye might ha'va need of it. They is reports of Orc raid'en parties coming down to the western bank o' the river. They da'na like de water, but ye n'er know with dem Pigs if they might a go wading in the water just the same."
Aislin smiles. "It's pronounced Eyes Lynn. My bow is with my other belongings at my bunk space. As for my traveling companion, I don't think I've managed to offend him yet, as we have barely spoken." She looks to Malbek. "Forgive me for not talking more during this trip, I've been studying my new spells."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:33 pm Aislin smiles. "It's pronounced Eyes Lynn. My bow is with my other belongings at my bunk space. As for my traveling companion, I don't think I've managed to offend him yet, as we have barely spoken." She looks to Malbek. "Forgive me for not talking more during this trip, I've been studying my new spells."
"And I have been interested in learning how to move in this situation, I am used to the mountain under my feet. The first big motion, I reacted like it was a earthquake. Ha ha ha. And you Took, thank you for talking with us."

Malbek

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:02 pm
joertexas wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:33 pm Aislin smiles. "It's pronounced Eyes Lynn. My bow is with my other belongings at my bunk space. As for my traveling companion, I don't think I've managed to offend him yet, as we have barely spoken." She looks to Malbek. "Forgive me for not talking more during this trip, I've been studying my new spells."
"And I have been interested in learning how to move in this situation, I am used to the mountain under my feet. The first big motion, I reacted like it was a earthquake. Ha ha ha. And you Took, thank you for talking with us."

Malbek
"Eyes Lynn? Ah, nice name." Took nods "And keeping your bow where ye kin get at er quick like may be best from here on up the Silver."

Took turns to Malbek and leans in and says with a wink, "I grieve the Cap'n by talking with the passengers."

In a passable imitation of the Captain Took says quietly, "Less talk more work Took!, ya lazy hobbit." then he chuckles and adds, "So, before he starts yammering, I'm back to work. My turn at taking de soundings."

Took strolls to the bow and takes over for the woman who has been periodically tossing a weighted rope into the water ahead of the boat and occasionally calling out things to the Captain back at the tiller.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:47 pm
"Eyes Lynn? Ah, nice name." Took nods "And keeping your bow where ye kin get at er quick like may be best from here on up the Silver."
Aislin shakes her head at the irrepressible character. "He has a point about my bow. I'll be right back." She ducks below, and, after a moment's thought, changes out of her casual tunic and puts on her armor. She carefully folds the tunic and gathers the rest of her supplies in her pack. With all of her gear now in hand, she goes back on deck to resume her vigil, if watching the world go by without much to do could be considered such a lofty thing.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:31 pm
Eris wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:47 pm
Aislin shakes her head at the irrepressible character. "He has a point about my bow. I'll be right back." She ducks below, and, after a moment's thought, changes out of her casual tunic and puts on her armor. She carefully folds the tunic and gathers the rest of her supplies in her pack. With all of her gear now in hand, she goes back on deck to resume her vigil, if watching the world go by without much to do could be considered such a lofty thing.
Aislin, bow is unstrung, best for traveling with it, so she stops on deck and bends it down stringing it. Her quiver is filled with many arrows each with hawk feathers in a flight of three grooves for true flight. She is loath to fired them from the boat as she is sure to lose them and they are very well made arrows. Her dark leathers, all she can afford, are a bit stiff from lack of use on her arms and legs, but her body warmth will loosen them making them subtle and able to bend freely in short order.

She, and all those around her, can smell the neatsfoot oil on her leathers used to lubricate and keep the leather subtle and in good condition. Aislin keeps a small tub of the preparation in her backpack and lightly applies it from time to time. The smell goes away after a few minutes, but the conditioning remains.

OOC: We're not going to count arrows/bolts/bullets in detail. If you start running low I'll tell you and you can buy some more in most villages.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Hermundr opens his eyes when his body jerks to the left. He had finally dozed off, trying to sleep off the hangover from that bad ale he drank last night, but he's on a boat! Dwarves don't like boats! Boats go in water like rivers and lakes. Dwarves don't like being in a boat on a river or lake! "It's only for one day." he reminds himself.

Looking forward from under the shade of the cloth tarp he's been under he sees that other Dwarf talking to the Elf and a halfling. The Elf has her bow strung...maybe trouble's afoot? Maybe he should join them and see what's what? Maybe he can find a hunk of bread and a mug of ale to stop his stomach's rumbling?

OOC: Hermundr joins the party! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

Hermundr rises and checks that his weapons are handy. If danger lurks, he wants to be ready. He approaches the others.

Edit: oops, didn't read the chargen that we already know each other.

Hail companions, I must have taken a wrong step coming out of that last tavern for I find myself separated from the good solid earth by a flimsy wooden raft floating in water. Does anyone know where we are heading?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:48 pm Hermundr rises and checks that his weapons are handy. If danger lurks, he wants to be ready. He approaches the others.

Edit: oops, didn't read the chargen that we already know each other.

Hail companions, I must have taken a wrong step coming out of that last tavern for I find myself separated from the good solid earth by a flimsy wooden raft floating in water. Does anyone know where we are heading?
Aislin shakes her head with a smile. "I clearly recall suggesting that you turn down those last four tankards. We are headed that way," she points helpfully toward the bow. "Beyond that, I cannot say where we are."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Eris »

OOC: Seeing as I didn't play out you getting this contract I'll make a post containing what you've been told about your job. A lot of this is in the first post in this thread, but there's more, so here you go:
Goblins showed up across the river from the village of Old Bridge and occupied some ruins there. From their position they threaten the village, but more importantly they threaten river traffic up and down the Silver River. The Merchant's Guild is hiring a troop of guards to take over those ruins to defend the river traffic, but it will be a month before they can get organized and up there. In the meantime they have hired you to "deal with the problem now!"

You are on a boat headed for Berm, a small village up the Silver River from Fallcrest, this boat should arrive late this afternoon. The boatman won't go further north than Berm, so you will have to walk the rest of the way.

From Berm you will need to hike north along the river trail another day or two to reach Old Bridge. The trail winds along near the east bank of the Silver River through wilderness. Any wilderness in Nentir Vale is dangerous, but this one has less of a reputation for danger than most.

When you reach Old Bridge speak to Simon Baker, he's the local head-man. He is the one who sent a letter to Fallcrest requesting help to "move those Goblins along!" The people of Old Bridge village want the Goblins gone as they are a threat to life and limb, but of course the Merchants Guild is more concerned about the threat to traffic.

Once you clean the ruins out you are to get a signed letter of proof from Simon Baker. You can then make your way back to Fallcrest, present the letter and get your pay...20 whole gold pieces each! Oh, and anything of value you happen to pick up from the ruins is yours as well.
Any questions?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ateno »

"Hermundr, there you are, I told you last night about what I had read about travelling with a possible hangover. And also that we did not have the herbs they speak about to stop the sickness."

Sheet updated and done I think.

Malbek

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:59 pm "Hermundr, there you are, I told you last night about what I had read about travelling with a possible hangover. And also that we did not have the herbs they speak about to stop the sickness."

Sheet updated and done I think.

Malbek
Maeve, who has been sitting quietly reading, holds up the book when Malbek mentions it and nods. Maeve squints when she looks up. It is brighter than it was and if she keeps reading right now she thinks she is going to get a headache. Might be time to give the book "Common Herbs and their Uses" back to Malbek, for now.

OOC: Introduce Maeve for us Bob!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:00 pm Maeve, who has been sitting quietly reading, holds up the book when Malbek mentions it and nods. Maeve squints when she looks up. It is brighter than it was and if she keeps reading right now she thinks she is going to get a headache. Might be time to give the book "Common Herbs and their Uses" back to Malbek, for now.

OOC: Introduce Maeve for us Bob!
OOC: Will do! :D

Maeva lets out a little sigh as her hazel eyes blink a few times, trying (and failing) to dispel the afterimage of pale paper illuminated by the unpleasantly brightening sun. Despite her active attempt to dress down a bit in anticipation of the day's heat, everything about the young Miss Couillard's personal ensemble seems just a little impractical, or just a little bit overdone. Even the somewhat exotic-looking pipe from which she occasionally smokes a specific and clove-scented herbal concoction out of appears to have a stem that's a bit too long, and a brass bowl that seems disproportionately small. After handing back the book with a polite little "thank you", Maeva reaches down into her pack to fish out that very smoking implement, while being forced to tame the asymmetrically-placed yet meticulously prepared ebon braid that has errantly dipped into her field of vision.

As she loads its little bowl from a soft leather pouch that looks just a bit too expensive for its actual purpose, Maeva lets out yet another sigh. "It's going to be a *really* hot day today, isn't it?"

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by joertexas »

bobk2323 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:22 amAs she loads its little bowl from a soft leather pouch that looks just a bit too expensive for its actual purpose, Maeva lets out yet another sigh. "It's going to be a *really* hot day today, isn't it?"
Aislin looks up from the arrow in her hands, where she's been examining the fletching. "We probably won't notice once we find the creatures we seek."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ateno »

"You can keep the book for now, its a third edition, plenty of knowledge, but not particularly expensive. Ha, does not have the narcotic mixes from the first edition."

Looking around, and pondering words.

"Speaking of heat, you don't think I need to put on my leathers yet, this barge would not transit without a safe passage, That's right? Right?

Malbek looks to the banks.

Malbek

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:58 pm "You can keep the book for now, its a third edition, plenty of knowledge, but not particularly expensive. Ha, does not have the narcotic mixes from the first edition."

"Speaking of heat, you don't think I need to put on my leathers yet, this barge would not transit without a safe passage, That's right? Right?

"I changed into mine," Aislin says with a shrug. "If something happens, I wouldn't have time."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:58 pm "You can keep the book for now, its a third edition, plenty of knowledge, but not particularly expensive. Ha, does not have the narcotic mixes from the first edition."

Malbek
The bank on Malbek's left as the boat travels north up the river is still mostly grassland with small copses of trees scattered here and there mostly on the tops of the low rolling hills. He sees a few birds wheeling in the sky and a herb of some sort of grazer is in the distance doing what grazers do.

Turning to the right, this is toward the east, the river bank is obscured by trees. The small copses of trees has given way to larger groupings, the beginning of a real forest on this side.

Malbek has seen maps of Nentir Vale, but he doesn't know how accurate they are. If they are close to being right, over to the east is what is known as The Old Wood and it covers the appropriately named Old Hills which dominate the landscape from the river all the way to Hammerfast in the Dwarvenforge mountains.

Glancing a bit further around to his right he can see the smoke rising from Thunderspire the imposing volcanic mountain that rises near the middle of the Old Hills. Thunderspire must be a good 10 leagues away from here, too far to see the mountain, but the smoke is still visable. The old stories say a mighty dragon sleeps deep under Thunderspire and stokes its fires with its breath. Malbek has never seen a dragon, nor met anyone who claims to have seen one...that he believes, but it's a strange world with many strange things in it, so who knows.

Thunderspire is a good landmark in the eastern Nentir Vale as its smoke is visible from Fallcrest, Lakeside, Hammerfast, and Harkenwold. The smoke and travel of the sun give any traveler a good marker toward any of these towns. For instance, with the sun's arc across the sky and Thunderspire to his east, Malbek knows he is heading north toward Lakeside with Fallcrest directly south of him. Of course, being on the Silver River and heading up stream, he knows that already.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Nentir Vale Adventures (SFA/TD Hack)”