OOC

Nemesis
archolewa
Guide
Guide

Re: OOC

#41 Post by archolewa »

May we all survive extended close contact with the family.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#42 Post by Nemesis »

Happy Holidays, everyone. It's been a great few months experiencing this game with you all, and I'm excited to continue things into 2024.
archolewa
Guide
Guide

#43 Post by archolewa »

Pulling the "what will I do now" discussion out of the main thread, and over here. 4 days is probably short enough there's no need to roll up a new character. I didn't know if there was an extra recovery time for characters who get knocked to 0 above and beyond just 1 HP a day recovery (I think OSRIC might have something like that, like you need at least a week to recover from the trauma of dropping to 0 HP). I can run Balteus for the rest of this dungeon at least.

I'll let the others decide if they want Richard resting with Cameron outside the dungeon, or send him home for a few days, or whatever.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#44 Post by Nemesis »

I'll lean to keeping things simple and not require extra recovery time to deal with the trauma of hitting zero. Any recovery time, for now, will be used to regain lost health points.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#45 Post by Nemesis »

Apologies for the delayed responses. I've been traveling, and I'm not back in the saddle. I'll continue the game today.
archolewa
Guide
Guide

#46 Post by archolewa »

Oh noes!
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#47 Post by Nemesis »

Oh noes, indeed >:)
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by BaltoBruiser »

I am a little busy with work and family stuff but is the map up to date? I have not had a chance to go back through and validate what I have:

viewtopic.php?t=13040

I might have some time tomorrow night but if it close enough, I will let it be and add to it once we get back in the dungeon.

Bruiser
archolewa
Guide
Guide

#49 Post by archolewa »

Looks correct to me. I'm pretty sure that leftmost room is where Richard got ganked by skeletons.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#50 Post by Nemesis »

Hey, all. Sorry for the delayed responses. The last two weeks have been pretty crazy with work, and I anticipate another week or so of crunch. I'll update as much as I can. I appreciate your patience :)
archolewa
Guide
Guide

#51 Post by archolewa »

No problem. Such is the beauty of play-by-post. (Have I mentioned that I've fallen in love with play-by-post? Sure, they're slow, but I'm used to every-other-week-for-2.5-hours for in-person play, and that isn't any faster!)
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by BaltoBruiser »

I agree! I imagine based on the interactions I have had with folks here that we are all pretty much in the same boat: people who started playing RPG at some point in their youths had plenty of free time before we had responsibilities like jobs, kids, and spouses. PbP allows us to allocate some time to a hobby which otherwise we might not be able to.

I kinda wish there were a similar thing for golf...so we didn't have allocate 5 to 6 hours to play a single round.
archolewa
Guide
Guide

#53 Post by archolewa »

I'm actually a newcomer to the tabletop scene. I've been playing CRPG's since I was a kid (starting with Dragon Warrior Monsters and Wizardry 1), but I didn't start playing tabletop until about 4.5 years ago, I think. My first tabletop game was a 5E game that a colleague invited me to. I eventually grew tired of that game (5E is slow, 6 players makes it exponentially slower), and started hunting around. Read a bunch of OSR rulesets and really liked what I saw, found this forum and got excited that I'd found a whole bunch of people playing pre-3E DnD/OSR games. The fact that I could so easily slot it into my busy life made it even better.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by Eris »

BaltoBruiser wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:04 pm I agree! I imagine based on the interactions I have had with folks here that we are all pretty much in the same boat: people who started playing RPG at some point in their youths had plenty of free time before we had responsibilities like jobs, kids, and spouses. PbP allows us to allocate some time to a hobby which otherwise we might not be able to.

I kinda wish there were a similar thing for golf...so we didn't have allocate 5 to 6 hours to play a single round.
I'm probably the "Old Coot" in this bunch. :)

I was Avalon Hill and SSI wargaming from the middle 60's as a teenager and through college. Do you remember D-Day, Origins of WW2, Africa Korps, Blitzkrieg, Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader, etc.? That's what I played in those days.

I found D&D in the back of a Game & Card shop one Friday afternoon in May of 74 while looking for The General Magazine and decided to "give this new idea a try" with a group of friends getting together the next night. I read the rules, got the gist of what the game was about and made up a little dungeon from where evil Orcs were raiding "the village." I started telling Julian, Ben and Tim the story and they jumped right in (we rolled Stats and picked classes on the fly) and had our first RPG adventure. Julian has been playing one version of Julio, or another, for the last 50 years. :) I got Greyhawk and Blackmoor, and a few adventures when they came out, but mostly we made it up as we went and my version of D&D became wildly different from the official versions. I ignored Basic D&D and AD&D...missed a lot by doing so, but I didn't know it at the time.

In 77 I found Traveller (SF is my favored genre not Fantasy) and ran homebrewed versions of that for everything (including fantasy) for several years after that. In the 80's I played around with Aftermath and GURPS, but quickly discovered lots of rules and highly complex ones weren't my bag. We kept playing Traveller and occasionally, old hacked D&D...but less and less often as folks started moving, marrying, having kids, and generally not having time to "waste" on games.

By the middle 80's I didn't have any of my old group to play with anymore and couldn't find anyone local who wanted to RPG.

After a hiatus from gaming for a few years I discovered games on Fidonet boards! These were mostly Star Trek games run narrative style with the GM doing any rolling (and there wasn't much of that) and just descriptive text going back and forth. Through much of the 90's I played by forum on Fido, Vervan, and Use Net. In fact, I found some on-line gaming friends on those boards that I still game with to this day!

I returned to D&D proper with 3rd Edition, which was closer to what I had been running all those years ago. But I still didn't have anyone local to play with so...I kept playing online. Hacking it down to less and less rather than adding as more books came out.

I've run PBEM and PBP games, almost exclusively, now for the last 40 years! I still prefer SF (Traveller is still my jam) to fantasy, but old-school (rulings over rules) games like BFRPG, C&C, 5e variants like Shadowdark/Deathbringer, and whatever I make up are mostly what I run/play in now days.

Finally, I'm almost the poster child for "Forever GM." While I can count on the fingers of both hands the number of games I've PLAYED in over last 50 years the number I've GM/DM/Ref'ed are legion. That's both :) and :(, but it is what it is.

Eris,
The Old Coot
The Traveller Heretic (from TML)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Eris that is awesome! So glad to have made your acquaintance to be playing with you!

Archolewa happy that you found this enclave and our party!
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#56 Post by Nemesis »

Status update: Crunch time at work is tapering off, and I'll be resting up to recover. We'll continue the game in the next few days :)
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by BaltoBruiser »

All good! I was slammed this week too.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Eris »

Internet problems, back when i get them fixed
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#59 Post by Nemesis »

I took a look at the forum today and saw these stats for the main thread:

There must be a bug with Unseen Servant because I refuse to believe that thread has been "viewed" more than 300,000 times :lol:
archolewa
Guide
Guide

#60 Post by archolewa »

We're just that enthralling.

Return to “Chronicles from the Vale (Basic Fantasy)”