Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders return.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders return.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This expedition thread is for the group gathering to explore the Barrow Mounds and raid a few in the hope of treasure and gold. A basic noble quest and staple of all good Expeditioners.

Joining together are the team who defeated the Impurax cult activities in Bogtown and Ironguard, keen in putting new found skills, magics and extra hp to the test. Golgarth, Gunter, Dalin with his new sidekick Froed, mercenary Sidkrake and possibly a couple of others.

I will open the thread and script the prologue once the downtime is concluded in Helix.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders return.

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik

July 10th 1066.

Breakfast taken together at the refurbished Cromm Cruach Cottage, a meal of fresh, newly laid eggs from the chicken coop at the rear of the yard, spiced sausage, crusty bread and honeyed gruel. Mrs Springmeadow does a fine job, even laundering clean shirts; red for Gunter as his preference with the 'Corporal' stripes sewn on, white for the cleric Golgarth.

Sidkrake & Solly arrive from the Mercenerary Guild, Dalin & Froed arrive from late nights in the taverns.

Plans are made, another expedition is agreed. But specific aims are not set. Some discussion regarding solving the Fey defilement and lignification of Arthuro, aided by the druid Bjornark. But certain compounds and materials to help step into that dimension are needed. The group are mostly, Dalin aside, broke having invested or spent what coinage they have. A basic 'treasure hunt', even reclaiming old amphora for the sculptor Silvine will bring in much needed cash. Better still if you find canopic jars of dessicated body parts to sell to the town mage or in Ironguard for top gold drake prices.

So, in hope of fortune and favour, the group trek towards the Barrow Mounds. Solly leads the way, making a slight detour to take in the Herne Ring where the Angarach devotees oft go to pray.

a slight detour as two other teams set off on the same day along the same trail, so I don't want to randomise you all encountering each other.

Actions Dalin, Gunter, Golgarth post a basic action and give me a [4d6] which I will use to randomise any relevant checks.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter quietly hums a little ditty to himself as he rides along, very happy to be ahorse instead of on foot for a change as they ply away the miles.

"Beer, beer beer said the privates, merry ol' men are we, the army's fair but it can't compare to crossbow infantry!"

He generally keeps pace with Golgarth but occasionally rides randomly ahead to scout forward or behind to check their back trail.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Bluetongue »

Sorry, am recovering from illness, will get to this over weekend when I can read threads. Greg

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin in better spirits after gaming the night before keeps a watchful eye out for anything trying to sneak up on the group. Listens to the odd humming tune of Gunter the dwarf begins singing a little tune himself "I left alone, my mind was blank. I needed time to think. To get the memories from my mind. What did I see? Can I believe? That what I saw that night was real and not just fantasy?"

Requested Roll [4d6]=14
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter picks up Dalin's refrain and hums along quietly..

"Just what I saw, in my old dreams. Were they reflections of my warped mind staring back at me?"

A classic!

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin finishes where Gunter left off "'Cause in my dreams it's always there, The evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair."
I'm just happy someone picked up on it. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

I pinged BT, hopefully he will respond soon, but let me advance this:

Riders on the Barrow Moor

The first mounted expedition team! Bravo! The group sing to keep spirits high, Golgarth prays to keep spirits away. Each character has a mount, the dwarves riding stouter 'pit ponies' to more suit their frames. Trotting rather than galloping, the group can swing by the Herne sacred site. It is also referred to as the Shrine or Ring, both being equally apt. About a mile off the westward trail, the place is an ancient henge of standing stones which surround a large statue of Herne. The God of the Hunt is represented by a human like figure bearing a head covering of a slain stag whose antlers spread out wide with long tines on each spar. The stone statue has suffered little from wind and rain erosion over the many years it has stood here and interestingly, the statue's gaze is set towards the Barrow Moor that spreads out southwards rather than the thick forest of blackened trunks and verdant canopy to the north.

The other sarsen stones form a rough ring around the central statue. Some form arches with heavy lintels laid across the top while others stand upright and alone. The area is overgrown though a well worn path circles the area.

There is no resident Priest of Herne that oversees any pastoral duty in Helix. Druids such as Raust are given the freedom to conduct such religious rituals here as they see fit, though these are low key affairs save for festival occasions. The deities of the Angarach has been sidestepped and relegated from prominence in the Duchy with the Duke and Lords converting to follow the ecclesiastical ways of St Ygg. As settlements have become increasingly urbanised, common folk have come under more of the influence of the Futurus.

Solly confesses to still favouring the 'old ways' much to the chagrin of Golgarth & Gunter who remain stoutly men of Cromm. Sidkrake is nominally baptised into St Ygg, the dwarves traditionally favour their Smith-Creator deity. No one is of the death cult factions though songs typify certain demonic tropes.

Whether drawn to your singing or happenstance, a number of black winged vultures perch upon the lintel stones, preening themselves and watching you approach nearby. The statue of Herne looks on impassive to these unholy congregants, who at first glance may also be unbothered by your appearance. You haven't come to offer sacrifice, a usual act which may provide the carrion birds with morsels to peck and squawk over.

Suddenly though, they all take flight, alarmed at some interference in their morning reveille routine.
A slight tremor in the ground, sounding almost like hooves themselves at a charge. Within the area of the ring, there is only partial mist, so visibility is good, but beyond the stones the Barrow Mist is an ever present thick veil of impenetrable fog.

On the edge of the fog, approaching towards the ring are numerous beasts, stampeding. You own horses rear sensing something more than just a herd of grazing buffalo.

Then you see one, a buffalo true, but half crazed and half eaten, trailing its innards in the floor. Another, skeletal in head and rotting yet still energised and maddened in undead afterlife. You hear now clear snorting and grunting, bullish moo's and yaws; a large number of beasts.

actions please

Attachments
Undead Buffaloes
Undead Buffaloes
IMG_20231007_235409.jpg (234.54 KiB) Viewed 410 times

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin "I don't think I want to meet whatever ate those." he comments at the sight, "I do wonder what set them vultures off though. Careful I heard a group I was with before talk about Harpies out here." he warns.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

"I do wonder what set them vultures off though. Careful I heard a group I was with before talk about Harpies out here."
The herd of stampeding zombie buffaloes set them off most likely. :roll:

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:51 pm
"I do wonder what set them vultures off though. Careful I heard a group I was with before talk about Harpies out here."
The herd of stampeding zombie buffaloes set them off most likely. :roll:
sorry didn't realize they were undead, thought they were merely dead buffalo rotting in a grazing position.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter reigns in next to Golgarth.

"Stonefather! We should flee this fight if we can, can you turn these creatures?"

He searches for a way out of this fight or a strong place to make a stand.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Bluetongue »

Thank you for patience. I think my health struggle physically is quite minor compared to some but I have felt 'gone through the mill' over the last six months with work and stress issues that in all honesty, sapped my enthusiasm for much else. And then of all things, I took up table tennis again after not playing competitively for several years. Pinging a little celluloid ball with a bit of swerve and topspin every Tuesday eve seems to have given me a bit of joie de vivre. In my early twenties I went almost four years unbeaten for the team I played in at County level.

Twenty years on, the old dog is still Top-dog, albeit a more recreational group in the neighborhood church.

Anyway, I hope to catch up on a few threads.
Golgarth

Sees the stampede of undead buffaloes and 'god knows what else' amongst the herd.

Golgarth: Turn Undead [1d20]=13 number turned [1d12]=3 rounds turned [3d4]=9

I am not sure of their intent, whether they are charging directly towards us or have some evil in mind to bulldoze the Herne site. Can we make out what motivates or drives them onwards? All following a crazed bull or driven and herded by some diabolical rider?

I will rebuke what I can, hopefully turning aside the leading beasts. Ideally, as we are on horseback, we can gallop to safety.

"Use the standing stones as cover so we are not trampled."

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin scrambles for cover "Don't gotta tell me twice." he thinks "usually" after he is done talking.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Spearmint »

Buffaloes Stampede: Herne Shrine, Helix:

July 10th 1066.

The ground tremors as an undead herd of rotted buffalo carcasses rampage towards the Herne Shrine. Golgarth tries to valiantly turn the tide, rebuking in Cromm Cruach's name the leading animals, the action causes them to swerve him, thankfully so for they are relentless and smash headlong into the ancient standing stones.

A number of the looser stones are uprooted, those bearing lintels wobble or collapse. The herd breaches the ring of stones and the characters are caught up in the bellowing maelstrom of horns and hooves, the beasts snorting fetid breath that fills the air with an acrid aroma.

Behind the herd, a rider, dark and shrouded in a cloak that covers his shadowy form apart from a dark face that is alight with red baleful eyes. The rider holds a whip that he cracks, which flares with a hellish fire, driving the herd onwards. As dark as he is, his horse is darker. Black as night and wild as an uncontrolled flame. It snorts heated blasts of breath and under its hooves, fire scorches the earth where it steps.

"The rider. He steers them." remark the npc's, struggling to control their own horses in the melee.

Each of Sidkrake Solly & Froed draw weapons to stab out and bludgeon buffaloes who come to close to them.

There certainly seems some intent in mind to coordinate the stampede rather than just the rage of undead zombies.

next Actions please , include a Dexterity check to control your horse effectively.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin tries his best to stay out of the way and instructs Froed to do the same.

Froed will work his way out of the way of the stampede doing the same as before, hacking and slashing at any that come too close to him.

Dex 17 [3d6]=5

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter wheels his horse sharply to avoid the stampeding herd.
He maneuvers to engage the rider with the whip using his crossbow and the silvered bolts gifted by the Silvanus guild as ammunition.

"Cromm take ya Devil!"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Not sure that we can turn the tide of the zombie buffaloes wrecking the place. Unless the rider that drives them is dealt and and his presence is certainly demonic. While I am a cleric of Cromm Cruach, the Herne faith is part of my 'old ways' Angarach and as much as we are able, we should defend the sacred site.

I call to Solly to round up and herd away any worshippers, villagers nearby or even on the trail towards the place. I don't think it is unreasonable to think the herd's only goal is destruction of this place. Why not stampede into the Helix settlement?

Then I will focus on the Nightmare rider. Unlike any Undead I have encountered before, I am hoping it is just a Wight rather than a demon-kind. I summon my Cromm Spiritual Hammer, focussing it attacking the rider, preferably from behind. I can summon it for only three riunds, so here are three melee attacks that the hammer makes.

Golgarth used Spiritual Hammer. [1d20]=17 [1d4]=2Golgarth used Spiritual Hammer. [1d20]=17 [1d4]=1Golgarth used Spiritual Hammer. [1d20]=19 [1d4]=4

After that I am not sure, if we are driven away we may have to take that on the chin, better than staying around to be trampled.

Much will depend on the rider's response of course and if we actually injure it.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Attack on the Herne Shrine

The undead buffaloes are driven again, to buffet and bulldoze the rung of standing stones, focussing in the ones with lintels that connect two together. More rampaging and fury pressed against the ancient rocks, working foundations loose from the soggy peat and toppling another stone over. Two thirds of the herd are shepherded under the fiery whip, the others circle the sacred site, chasing upon the hoofs of the withdrawing dwarves. Solly rides hell for leather, back along the trail to warn any pilgrims he can spot. Sidkrake is unhorsed, dismounted he plays chief matador, dodging the horns of a charging bull and slashing its side with his sword.

Golgarth summons divine aid, a gift of Cromm's wrath and concentrates to bludgeon the Nightmare Rider with minor harassment and wounds, -7hp trading wounds as the Wightish Nightrider rounds the menhir and using his own fiery reach, bloodily flagellates the priest, -5hp.

Despite a first miss, Gunter pings a volley of shafts into the creature, -20hp. The Wight staggers from the succession of hits and rearing upon his mount, becomes unhorsed himself. Its dread steed, already maniacally enraged charges towards Gunter, rear and bucking intent in trampling horse and rider underfoot. In a billow of steaming breath it attacks, stamping upon Gunter's horse -6hp and causing it to rear and panic itself.

Stampeding buffaloes: [1d20]=4[1d20]=4[1d20]=5[1d20]=5[1d20]=16[1d20]=19Stampeding buffaloes: [1d20]=18[1d20]=19[1d20]=3[1d20]=19[1d20]=14[1d20]=17

Nightrider: Fiery whip [1d20]=14[1d4]=3 [1d20]=15[1d4]=2 [1d20]=8 [1d4]=4

Nightmare bucks: fangs [1d20]=2[2d4]=3 Hooves trample [1d20]=1[2d4+2]=5+2=7 [1d20]=20[2d4+2]=4+2=6

The fallen wight is unmoving, the undead buffaloes cover its firm under their own hooves and having less coercion exerted upon them, fall back into primeval instincts; still wild, still rampaging but uncontrolled.

Gunter, I need a Dexterity check to control your horse.

Actions please everyone

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter's victory shout as the rider falls from it's hellish mount is cut short as the creature turns it's attention to him and his mount.

"Cromm have ya devil! Oh shite!!"

If Gunter manages to stay ahorse he lets fly with more silvered bolts.

Posting several attacks to keep the combat rolling

Return to “Completed Expeditions”