OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

(9/10) Quartermaster (Moseley)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3381.jpeg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Quartermaster Moseley

Likely to be called a General Store in most other settlements, the term and title were carried over from the initial military style origins of the Keep.

(9) One side of this building caters to adventurers and gear they might buy, with filled shelves of backpacks, fire kits, oil, rope, bedrolls, empty sacks, waterskins, and even a few ten foot poles. You almost never see any locals shopping at this store. (All prices here are by the book, though there are few specialty or larger items such as tents etc. currently in stock.)

(10) Items that can't be manufactured inside the Keep are sold here. Glassware, crockery, baskets, and a multitude of textiles and clothing make up the majority of the store, though there are a few other items as well. A portion of this building is used as a warehouse for passing merchants to store goods to be collected by other travelers, or to store here until their next return.

Several locals can be seen shopping on this side of the building, assuring anyone who asks that Quartermaster Moseley is as fair a man as you will ever meet.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (9/10) Quartermaster (Moseley)

#2 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc finds the General Store and walks in, scanning the store for someone who looks to be in charge.
If approached, or if he sees someone who is obviously not a patron, he says, "Good day. I'm looking for Moseley. Would he be about?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

IMG_1910.jpeg
IMG_1910.jpeg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 388 times

Moseley

The only person in the building is an elderly gentleman standing at the counter going over some paperwork. He looks up when Dredd enters.

“Aye, I’m Quartermaster Moseley.” He looks you over with a squinting scrutiny. “Do I know you, friend? Forgive me if my memory isn’t what it once was. Were you a soldier, son?”

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"Greetings sir. On my way to the Keep, I happened upon a tavern and met a man by the name of Budrick. He spoke of you in a trustworthy manner and said to give you his greetings once I arrived here. Do you remember him?"
Dredd then blushes slightly and says, "My name is Dredd, by the way. I grew up in Longspear. Not a soldier, but I always wanted to be."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The old man’s smile beams with the energy of good memories.

“Ol’ Jon Bud? You don’t say? That old goat’s still alive?” His laughter eases a few years of lines behind his eyes.

“Ya, he was a good one. Lived here for a long time. Till things changed, anyway. Tell him I’m still here. And that he should come visit before he croaks!”

His smile lingers as he looks you over again. “Thanks Dredd. You need a new coin purse? Waterskin? I got some new hand mirrors in recently.”

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

Bugs walks in behind Dredd, keeping his big mouth shut for once. He looks around appraisingly until Moseley mentions something about the changes.

"Changed? What do you mean? I see that things are a lot more casual than they used to be, but I just thought that meant Lord Wledig was mellowing like a fine wine."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"I will indeed tell him when I see him next. But what Bugs asked > what has changed? First time here for me."
Dredd waits a second or two before saying, "Small mirrors, eh? My traveling companions and I are considering exploring the fabled Caves of Chaos. Anything particular we should take with us? Anything you've heard about the caves recently?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Quartermaster Moseley looks down at Bugs with a stern expression.

"Casual?"

"Okay?"

"I will warn you that there are still many of us here who knew Lord Macsen Wledig well. He was like a brother to me......and many others who are no longer with us. Consider yourself warned about how you speak of our revered dead, master gnome."

He looks back to Dredd.

"The caves are not my specialty, as I have never been there myself. But I have heard every story in the book about them. The occupants change once in a while, when one tribe of monsters chases off another, or when folks like you go in and eradicate them. But that is true everywhere you go on Oerth, I suppose."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

The gnome gets a confused look on his face, or is that just his resting face? "Knew him? What do you mean? I knew him, years ago. Why are you talking about him like he's not here?"

"And who's dead?" Bugs looks around and narrows his eyes, clearly thinking hard. He's about to open his mouth, but no, he doesn't put it together.

Wis (4): [1d20]=5

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc thinks about kicking his Gnome companion, but then wonders what good that will do. Instead, he direct the conversation back to the caves. "Moseley, if we're going caving, do we need any special equipment?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Moseley looks long and hard at the gnome, eventually becoming satisfied he's merely a simpleton.

When Dredd asks what they might need, the Quartermaster starts listing off possible purchases.

"Well, let's see. Other groups who have shopped here have brought along......

Tents
Rations
Empty sacks
A wheelbarrow
Lanterns
Lots of oil
Mirrors
10 foot poles
Belt pouches
Rope
Spikes
Hammers for spikes
Torches
Flint
Skins for water

And probably a few other things I can't think of right now."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

This is the second time people have looked at him funny. Bugs still doesn't understand why.

"The Wheelbarrow seems optimistic, although you could haul back injured people that way as well. So maybe not. I've got spikes, hammers, sacks, but that tent seems smart. How much?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

He has 2 canvas tents. They sleep 4 humans and weigh 8 pounds each.

“20 gold a piece.”

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

The Gnome thinks it over for a moment "Four humans means eight gnomes, which is one less than a party."

"I'll take it, for 18 gold?" Bugs attempts to bargain.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"I'll take an extra waterskin, an empty sack, and two vials of oil. What would I need a mirror for?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

When Bugs tries to bargain with the Quartermaster, the fairest man in the Keep, he gets an unusual reaction.

"You can turn around and get out."

He tallies up the cost for Dredd's items. "That will be exactly 2 gold, 16 silver, and 6 copper coins, sir." He smiles. "Unless you want a deal, then you can follow your friend."

"A mirror can be used for many things. To look around corners, to reflect the dangerous gaze of certain creatures, to determine if someone is really breathing or not. You can even use them to see your own reflection, to comb your hair and stuff."

"I have a couple nice silver ones that will fit well in your pack. 20 gold coins a peice."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc thinks for a few seconds, then counts out 23 gold. "Keep the change. I'll see you when I return, good sir."
He looks down at Bugs. "Pay the man and let's go."
Dredd takes his new items and walks out, heading for the tavern where the others are sure to be.
Winter is coming...

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

The irritation of twicelings has never affected Bugs. Smiling, he raises his hands in surrender. "Ok, ok. You drive a hard bargain. Twenty-one gold, and that's my final offer."

"I'll be right behind you, Dredd. Don't drink it all."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

Quartermaster Moseley stammers as the pair gives him extra coin and walks out with their new stuff.

"Thank you for the business, but I don't take less, and I certainly don't overcharge. I can make change...... if you just wait...... hold on now....."

The man clearly isn't used to tips, and has no idea what to make of Bugs anymore, so he decides not to rush after the pair to give them their change.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Rida

Rida arrives at the quartermasters after leaving the chapel.

"Hello. I could use 5 more flasks of oil, 3 torches, another small and large sack please."

He digs out his coin purse.

Return to “Areas of the Keep”