(7a-i) Private Homes

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (7a-i) Private Homes

#21 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs
OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:18 pm "Bugs you say? Well Bugs, we have something in common already, as I am also looking for Peppy and Tarlac."

She shoos the young boy away before he can figure out what's happening. "You're his son, aren't you? If you had grey hair, you'd look exactly alike."

"I am Penelope, his latest wife and the mother of six of his children. All of them your own brothers and sisters, I suppose."
Bugs smiles and bows slightly. "I am. I actually used to live here in the keep, years ago. If it's ok with you, I'd meet my kin."

He then gets a serious face. "Oh, right. So he really didn't come home? Does that happen often, or is there reason to worry? Sabine at the gate seems to be worried. Did he ever tell you his secret fishing spot? I plan on finding him and need a direction to look/"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#22 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hotgoblin wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:07 am Loyn is utterly saddened by the harshness the baker exudes. I’m sorry to bother you, many townsfolk knew my father and he is missing. He left this smelly biscuit for me. There is something special about this biscuit, not just for sentimental reasons either! He puts it away and turns to walk out…“By the way, was there another baker here before you?”
Brother Martin tries to calm the overly sensitive dwarf.

"Sorry! I don't know the past history of the Keeps bakers, but I do know a little something about purifying food and drink. And I would suggest you might try it before feeding that spoiled thing to any little doggies, or it will probably make them sick as a.......well.......it might even kill them!"

A few seconds later, almost as if on cue, the sounds of 2 dogs can be heard barking at each other somewhere in the distance.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:54 pm Bugs smiles and bows slightly. "I am. I actually used to live here in the keep, years ago. If it's ok with you, I'd meet my kin."

He then gets a serious face. "Oh, right. So he really didn't come home? Does that happen often, or is there reason to worry? Sabine at the gate seems to be worried. Did he ever tell you his secret fishing spot? I plan on finding him and need a direction to look/"
With the scent of smoked fish wafting outside, Penelope opens the door wide to invite her unknown stepson inside, giving Bugs a view of a tiny home that appears to be packed with people. There are about 8 kids running around, most of them gnomes, but a couple of younger humans are in the mix as well. She is about to start introducing him to his brothers and sisters when a tall pale human woman comes out from a back room. From the looks of her eyes, she has obviously been crying a lot recently.

"Bugs? Bugs! Is that really you? You're gonna go out and find my Tarlac? Oh THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! They went to their usual spot. Down on the closest bend of the river, where they always go!"

Bugs is pretty sure he's never met this woman before in his life.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Monsieur Rose »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:34 pm "Bugs? Bugs! Is that really you? You're gonna go out and find my Tarlac? Oh THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! They went to their usual spot. Down on the closest bend of the river, where they always go!"

Bugs is pretty sure he's never met this woman before in his life.
Bugs

He raises a brow and almost takes a step back. "Oookkay. You must be Tarlac's partner, right? Are you okay? Did they say anything when they left?" He blows past the whole knowing his name thing, as he has found that others usually know things he doesn't. It would be strange if she didn't know his name. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:03 pm Bugs

He raises a brow and almost takes a step back. "Oookkay. You must be Tarlac's partner, right? Are you okay? Did they say anything when they left?" He blows past the whole knowing his name thing, as he has found that others usually know things he doesn't. It would be strange if she didn't know his name. :lol:
Especially since he's already mentioned it. :lol:
Monsieur Rose wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:56 pm Bugs calls out to the woman. "I'm Bugs. I'm looking for Tarlac and Peppy. I think we should talk."

The unidentified woman continues. "Yes! Tarlac has been my husband for the last 30 years! And NO! I am not Okay! He and Peppy have been gone for over a day! Now that might not be as unusual for the gnomes, but Tarlac has never been late for dinner no matter how good the fish are biting."

"They went down to their favorite hole, just past the inside bend of the closest portion of the river. A little bit before the ford."

"Do you think you'll be able to find them?"

Penelope just nods along with a slim tear running down her ruddy cheek. The cacophony of children playing doesn't abate during the conversation.
Wilderness - Copy.jpeg
Wilderness - Copy.jpeg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#26 Post by Hotgoblin »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:00 pm
Hotgoblin wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:07 am Loyn is utterly saddened by the harshness the baker exudes. I’m sorry to bother you, many townsfolk knew my father and he is missing. He left this smelly biscuit for me. There is something special about this biscuit, not just for sentimental reasons either! He puts it away and turns to walk out…“By the way, was there another baker here before you?”

"Sorry! I don't know the past history of the Keeps bakers, but I do know a little something about purifying food and drink. And I would suggest you might try it before feeding that spoiled thing to any little doggies, or it will probably make them sick as a.......well.......it might even kill them!"

A few seconds later, almost as if on cue, the sounds of 2 dogs can be heard barking at each other somewhere in the distance.

Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

He notices it doesn’t smell the best, although it could be his own stench.I see what you’re referring to, purification could help before feeding to another dog, that could be how it works. Thank you again for your time, you may be a genius! He walks out the door, headed back to the inn for a bath to contemplate his next move.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Monsieur Rose »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:02 pm
Monsieur Rose wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:56 pm Bugs calls out to the woman. "I'm Bugs. I'm looking for Tarlac and Peppy. I think we should talk."
Looks like I'm getting too into character with Bugs :lol:

Bugs

The Gnome is a sucker for damsels in distress. "Of course! I'll leave today. Is there anything you can tell me about recent events that may help? Did they mention anything, write a diary? If I know Peppy, he may have some plans of some sort."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hotgoblin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:22 pm
OGRE MAGE wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

He notices it doesn’t smell the best, although it could be his own stench.I see what you’re referring to, purification could help before feeding to another dog, that could be how it works. Thank you again for your time, you may be a genius! He walks out the door, headed back to the inn for a bath to contemplate his next move.
Brother Martin shrugs and smiles as Loyn leaves the home. "Well, of course I'm a genius. Why would anyone think differently?"

He doesn't see it, but his young helper rolls her eyes so hard it hurts.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:42 pm
OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:02 pm
Looks like I'm getting too into character with Bugs :lol:

Bugs

The Gnome is a sucker for damsels in distress. "Of course! I'll leave today. Is there anything you can tell me about recent events that may help? Did they mention anything, write a diary? If I know Peppy, he may have some plans of some sort."

The old woman thinks for a moment.

"There were reports of Gnoll activity in the forest beyond the river, but something like that isn't going to stop Tarlac from going fishing. Neither are really much for writing things down, at least that I have noticed. I know Peppy went beyond the river often, looking around in the woods for shrooms or seng. But my Tarlac would never do anything so dangerous. I just know he is in some kind of trouble!"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Monsieur Rose »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:57 pm "There were reports of Gnoll activity in the forest beyond the river, but something like that isn't going to stop Tarlac from going fishing. Neither are really much for writing things down, at least that I have noticed. I know Peppy went beyond the river often, looking around in the woods for shrooms or seng. But my Tarlac would never do anything so dangerous. I just know he is in some kind of trouble!"
Bugs

"Hopefully it was nothing, maybe even just found a good spot and kept going. I'll go and check it out, and have them back soon. Then we can catch up." He motions to the group. "You guys have been busy. The keep was always good for kids."

Bugs thanks them and winks at a kid or two. "I'm staying at the Green Man Inn, if you need to leave a message for me. A pleasure to meet you." He bows and exits.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Both women respond in unison.

"Oh thank you, Bugs! Please come back as soon as you learn anything!"

Then they look at each other with odd but understanding expressions.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Stirling »

Two more private homes, a carpenter and a cooper, by the looks of them are nestled behind the inn. They both show evidence of more children, likely many more.
Crabgrass, during his study breaks goes trawling the Keep's craftsmens industries. He has an idea in his mind, a bit of artisan craftwork but he is not sure that he can create it himself.

I will check on the cooper as my idea might fall within his skillset?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

7i
Asham the Cooper

A downright gloomy looking fellow answers the door when Crabgrass knocks, standing in front of a very inquisitive looking much younger version of himself, likely his young child. The smells of dinner cooking wafts from the home, and several voices can be heard talking normally inside, most of them also children.
IMG_2032.jpeg
IMG_2032.jpeg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 216 times

“Hello. Can I help you?”

The man’s voice sounds nearly as sad as his expression.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

"Hello good Sir."

He introduces himself, "Crabgrass, acolyte, prestidigitator, minor merchant and business entrepreneur.". He takes a fancy title though his raiments are more industrial; dungarees and worker's thick leather belts.

"May I enquire within?", he asks and will go on to explain that he is trying to craft a small token or trinket, hollow like a barrel but not that large a size, rather a small tun and ellipsoid in shape; like a egg. A large egg...

"Ideally it can be veneered thinly with these gold or coppery coins shaped into small scaly flakes. Give the impression it is a large reptilian egg."

He uses his prosthetic arm as the deficiency in his own ability to create his artwork.

Crabgrass: Charisma 6 vs check [1d20]=3

He wants to communicate that he would like to commission an egg-like gift (he is not going to share he has a copper dragon egg and could the cooper replicate one), but that is his gist. Away that Moseley said few other resident artisans are about so I have to think outside the box.

My reasoning to create a faux-egg is so that anyone snooping into my room will be attracted to the fake one and steal that, not the hidden and incubating real one. But I will share with the cooper my desire is for this to be a minor trinket or gift to some unscrupulous merchant, fool the Lizardmen or even bribe the bandits on the trail.

Crabgrass: Wisdom check vs 14 [1d20]=15

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The sad faced man tries to follow the unusual request, but does not let his guest beyond the front porch.

“I…….I suppose I could craft such a thing. I usually just make casks and barrels, every once in a while a nice hogshead er two.”

“Never made a coin covered wooden egg before. You want a little hinge along the inside? So it opens? Like a gift box?”

“I’m ah…….I’m Ashem, by the way.”

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

He is not sure how much such a trinket item might cost. Not so much in wood and metalwork materials, perhaps more for any painstaking labour on the actual intricate design parts to make it look like an egg at first glance.

If Ashem can produce something that can pass as a 'copper dragon egg' substitute, he will commission one. Not sure on prices, but figuring that the book price of a large wooden chest is 17sp, then a couple of gold might suffice to cover labour, materials and confidentiality.

Talking designs, he will say that it can be a sealed unit, maybe one of the scale veneer pieces could slide away to reveal a coin deposit hole, so I might use it as a piggy bank. A nest egg.

Crabgrass: Wisdom check vs 14 [1d20]=12

I note the 'sad face', so putting my pastoral cleric head on, could I discern what sorrows him? If he hasn't invited me into the workshop, is all well? I will ask if any illness or sickness is the issue?

"I am a cleric and certainly can petition divine favours and blessings. Perhaps Reverend Abercrombie or Brother Opal can minister to your needs?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Asham nods along with the design ideas, his look softening slightly. He shakes his head at the idea of healing needs.

“Oh no, no. I’m fine. We’re fin….it’s a…..just a personal family matter, I suppose.”

He clearly tries to deflect the topic, moving back to the egg idea.

“So, like a piggy bank then? Yes. I like that. A nest egg. Very clever.”

He scratches his chin a moment. “Easy enough to glue some slats together in the right shape. Don’t need to be pretty, since these coins’ll cover most of the surface anyway. I could rig a little secret spring catch under one of the scales that covers your coin slot idea. It’d pop up and slide aside when you press on it.”

“Hmmmmm. Take me a few days. How about……5 gold coins?”

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

So this is the finished result I am looking for. If Ashem can create that, I an fine coming back in a few days. I just think having a fake one around to fool any would be thief or snoop might be a worthwhile investment.

-5gp I will pay ahead for the labour and materials, letting him know I stay in the inn if there are any issues. I (or an associate) will come back in a few days. I wish him well, hoping the work cheers him up and the money helps address any family health matters.

Attachments
Bugs dragon egg
Bugs dragon egg
FFEECZCIQFFBYYI.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 165 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Asham takes the 5 gold coins and thanks the half-elf for his business, assuring him it will be completed in 3 days time.

"I appreciate the challenge of creating something quite different than my usual wares. I will have your copper egg bank done in a few days time, sir."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Continuing my 'downtime' between spell and prayer study, I will walk the Keep streets, familiarising myself with the merchants and industries. Paying Ashem, I will come back at the alloted time.

I have Loyn's heirloom petrified biscuit. I will put it in a little drawstring purse, keeping one hand, (my only hand) upon it, leaning in my staff with the other. I thoughts were that the Keep's dogs might be attracted to it and I could try the 'speak to dogs' suggestion that I put to the dwarf if any started following me around.

My next location stop is probably the little place with the ink and quills sign. From description it sounds like a school which at the very least might be a source of lendable books.

Return to “Areas of the Keep”