(7a-i) Private Homes

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: (7a-i) Private Homes

#41 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stirling wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm Crabgrass
My next location stop is probably the little place with the ink and quills sign. From description it sounds like a school which at the very least might be a source of lendable books.
Crabgrass encounters many, many cats, but only hears dogs baking occasionally somewhere in the northern portion of the Keep, beyond the central Gatehouse area.

Standing on the porch of the centrally located home (7c) in the row along the south wall, he hears no noises from inside. Peering through the window, the room beyond with the scattered desks is dark, as no school is apparently in session at this time of the evening.

There is a brass knocker on the door next to the shingle with the ink pot and quill symbol painted on it.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Leaving the dogs for another day, he will knock politely upon the door. Hoping someone less saddened by fortunes comes to the door.

"Hello Sir" (Madam, Miss, young man as appropriate), "Excuse my late hour enquiry. I am Crabgrass, a minor acolyte and prestidigitator new to the Keep and I wondered in regard to the activity here.

Is the school just for children or are other sessions open for scholarly learning. I must confess I only know of Rev Abercrombie, though he appears a dour taskmaster to be mentored by."

Crabgrass: Charisma 6 vs check [1d20]=7

He probably waffles a bit, not really explaining his interest to well. But if the school has books & ledgers or a library (not 'Faerie Stories' or 'Dick & Dora go on a Picnic', more History of the Region, Biography of Cave of Chaos explorers, The Keep Wars history, etc), he would be interested to know of them.

Plus, at the very least, as he has found any Mage Tower, the school might have inks, quills and parchments he could source to complement his own.

In return I have a dwindling amount of silvers but could reasonably step in to teach a lesson or too; science of the arcane, religion, even languages.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

7c
Dubricus d'Ambreville.jpg
Dubricus d'Ambreville.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 101 times
A youngish looking middle aged man dressed in a plain robe answers the door with a polite nod of his head.

"Hello Mr. Crabgrass. Welcome to the Keep. I too am a practitioner of the arcane arts. I am Dubricus d'Amberville, master of magic and leadership counselor extraordinaire."

He looks back into his little home filled with desks and bookshelves. "Oh, and schoolteacher too, I suppose. But I'm mostly a scribe and scrivener, drawing up contracts and other legal paperwork for the many merchants who visit the Keep."

He almost laughs out loud at the comment regarding Abercrombie. "This school is for anyone who wants to learn to read and write, and I promise no fire and brimstone sermons during the lessons."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

"How fortunate to have met. A fellow mage, I wondered what arcane arts were practised within the Keep as I saw no official tower or laboratory. Are you the only Mage here at the Keep or do higher level scholars get seconded to the Keep interior?"

He asks about the general perception and acceptance of mages and if laboratory based spell or magic research every happens. Where does a person study and practise magic. The fields have the Bulette wandering in and the woods have bandits and gnolls.
This school is for anyone who wants to learn to read and write,
"Well I have graduated already beyond elementary levels but learning is a lifelong art. Perhaps there are gaps in my knowledge that you could quicken me in?"

is there an obvious way to tell a person is of a higher level than yourself? For example I use 'prestidigitator' to introduce myself, the title for a 1st level mage. He doesn't appear a 'Wizard' but would I know what title he might be?

Crabgrass: Intelligence 14 vs check [1d20]=1

I would be interested to know what sort of contracts get written up and if he has any experience with the Caves. Would he know where I can source pearls to use in Identify spells?

I won't actually take too much of his time but would certainly talk more with him if he came into the tavern. If I can purchase inks, scroll sheets, basic mage & cleric resources I will.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#45 Post by OGRE MAGE »

7c
Dubricus d'Amberville

The man smiles wide at the conversation so far.

"I suppose I am the official arcane master here at the keep, though my real talents of running a successful adventuring group seem wasted here."

"We have no official Wizard to speak of, or library, or laboratory, or tower, and I am only a novice such as yourself. But I have great expectations nonetheless."

"I couldn't agree more that knowledge is a lifetime pursuit, and yours will last even longer than mine. I don't know what I could teach you that you don't already know, but I would be happy to talk more at some point. So far, I have saved very little for the start of my own lab, but things like pearls and other magical components are available around here, if you know where to look. Mouse, for example, should have a fine pearl or two for sale. Too bad he charges such a high price for his stuff."

He is happy to discuss contracts and forays into the wilderness, though probably not on his front porch.

"I am not much of a drinker, but I could be convinced to come to the tavern tonight, if you would like to talk more there. I would like to hear your stories of daring adventure. Have you been to the caves yet?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass
though my real talents of running a successful adventuring group seem wasted here.
My feeling here is that his appearance, a modest civilian in a school job not actually Mage #1 in a tower makes me think he hasn't ran too many successful groups. But what does he count as success? Surviving with more treasures than scars? Some secret knowledge, a magic relic and enough coin to pay the rent?
if you know where to look. Mouse, for example
a second time this person has been mentioned.

"but I could be convinced to come to the tavern tonight, if you would like to talk more there"

I will take him up on the offer and introduce him to fellows of the group. "Sure we can talk of thr Caves abd our first foray there and you can share of your own successes."

I will return to the Inn and post in the tavern thread for later.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#47 Post by OGRE MAGE »

7c
Dubricus d'Amberville

The man smiles wide.

"I will be happy to meet your friends. Perhaps we can share stories and maybe even adventure together at some point. As I said, I would be the perfect group leader."

"Sometime after dinner then? I will see you all there."

Return to “Areas of the Keep”